Author Topic: To swap or not to swap????  (Read 1654 times)

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
To swap or not to swap????
« on: December 31, 2011, 06:36:16 AM »
Now that the kids have flown the coup we are thinking about a change of camping style.
We have a soft floor now and are thinking of swapping to a Jayco Penguin to cut down on the set up time. Does anyone have a Penguin? and how do you rate them? they don't have the pop out end beds just internal bed and the rest is as per any other Jayco.
They look easy and quick to set up but would like to hear what they are like in reality.
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline tinkera

• Tent User
Re: To swap or not to swap????
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 06:51:45 AM »
HI griz had a real close look a one a this years camping show wife loved it probably be next step up when camper gets too much.Got talking to a couple in there sixties at the stand who had one and they said it was great very easy to set up no problems with it either. Tinkera.

Offline Just some guy

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »
Yes - swap!

We did exactly that - swapped from a soft floor to a Penguin and we are very pleased.  This is ours: http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=17609.msg271290#msg271290

Its quicker and easier to set up, more convenient and more comfortable to use. 

Of course there are some drawbacks too...  Its wider, longer and heavier, so harder to tow, harder to maneuver and won't get to the places a lot of soft-floor campers would. 

We have only had ours a few months now and have been camped in it for 7 nights.  There are a couple of things to be aware of: the bed is quite small - 201cm long and 131 cm wide (we took our pillows to a Jayco dealer and lay on the bed for about 15 minutes before we made a purchase) AND the ball weight is very heavy.

To tow ours, we now have to use towing mirrors and load levelers - which are both a bit of a pain to put on and pull off.

Despite the drawbacks, we are very pleased with it - everything in camping is a compromise and we are very happy to make those compromises to get the benefits we now have!

Goldstream also make a camper of the same style called the Crown.  It has a bigger bed but less storage under the bed, no front boot, an extra cupboard next to the door but no wardrobe, oh - and it costs more (and looks like better quality than the Jayco).
Please keep in mind - I'm just some guy.  I don't know nothin about nothin!

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 03:45:35 PM »
Thanks Tinkera and Just some guy for the replies.
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »
You can get 12V wind up now too
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado