Author Topic: Fly traps  (Read 1664 times)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Fly traps
« on: March 17, 2020, 04:05:36 PM »
After constantly seeming to have a fly or two annoying me in the house, I decided to grab a fly trap from Bunnings for $5 and stick it outside to see if that might stop them coming inside. Well, long story short, it has but it has worked so well I have thought that it might be worth taking one camping when we go and set it up 10m or so away, and just wondering if anyone else has done so.
It took a day or two too really get cranking but in the week since then it has almost filled up (about 1/2L volume at a guess) so might pay to get one started a couple of days before you head away to make sure it's cranking when you get there.

I wouldn't have guessed there would have been anywhere near the volume of flys around that have poured into it, but not sure from how far afield they are coming from either, have almost taken a morbid interest in watching them go in there and it filling up.

Offline EagleBoy

• Swag User
Re: Fly traps
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 04:36:54 PM »
You'd want it well sealed if your transporting ready to go for camping, I have one outside the house and it sure puts out som stink. Catches the buggers though.
2016 Amarok TDI420 Core
2015 Jayco Expanda 14.44-4

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 04:37:46 PM »
I use them near the chook shed and are great, but do take a few days to get going. I wouldn't pre-make for risk of spillage, because the stink wold never leave.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »
Used flytraps on a sheep station I worked on over the west to stop them striking the sheep. Don't know if they worked for that but they where always full.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 06:46:43 PM »
This is the one I got, has a bit of a pong too it, but I wouldn't call it a stench (yet anyway) and has a reasonably good seal on it for a disposable product, but being thin plastic it could be susceptible to damage in transport. https://www.bunnings.com.au/the-buzz-disposable-fly-trap_p0043801

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 02:52:23 PM »
We've used the up-market ones, also from the BGS ;D, but I've also picked them up for half these $ at Aldi 8)

bunnings.com.au/envirosafe-fly-trap_p4475914

This was the result after about 6 days! :o

Didn't attempt to empty it out for re-use ;D ::)

You could actually see the wave of flies heading in towards it!

Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 09:29:19 PM »
They do work a treat, but stink .. Washed one out and hung a fresh one a couple of days ago .. Need to get some refill sachettes now .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "