Matson
DownUnder
Gasmate
Companion
BushBoy
Aldi, the wonder fridge
Techni Ice
Kings

Author Topic: What Fridge do you use Poll.  (Read 265596 times)

Offline Ragman

• Tent User
Re: What Fridge do you use Poll.
« Reply #475 on: October 15, 2017, 08:59:37 PM »
on our most recent trip the Evacool Fridgemate 70L was not performing well. on closer inspection it looks like the lid is warped?

we resorted to strapping the lid down with ratchet straps. will be taking it back to place of purchase this weekend and see what they say...

Well Fridge Mate is no mate of mine. the staff at Getaway Outdoors have been ringing them twice a week and they keep promising to send a new seal to no avail.
getting pretty peeved with Fridge Mate now.

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #476 on: October 22, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »
Anyone have a "Kings" 60 litre fridge freezer, they been advertising the crap out of them.
Would like to know if they are good or not.
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline scrubber

• Swag User
« Reply #477 on: November 01, 2017, 04:13:21 PM »
I picked up our new 75l Trailblaza "Ablie Slider" fridge recently.  This new range have 90mm thick insulation and are designed to better fit the base of MSA or Easyslide drop slides.  The custom EasySlide drop slide gets picked up on Monday (they had to put an extended handle on it).  All this will then get bolted into the new canopy in a few weeks time.   The few test runs of the fridge so far have shown that it drops the temp very quickly and is very quiet.

Piccy stolen from their Farcebook page as I haven't had a chance to get our old camera working again.

I can now finally relegate the Evakool Esky to  the very important function of drinks esky!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 04:24:34 PM by scrubber »
“Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong.” George Carlin

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #478 on: December 29, 2017, 06:41:25 PM »
I got one of those sphere fridges with my swan, a 50L. It gets cold nice and quick, and runs pretty quiet, but it also warms up pretty quick. Worst part is it gets a full 5 degrees above set temp before the compressor kicks on. I like that the door can open from either side and lift off completely, that's a nice feature. I threw away the jacket that came with it after struggling for several minutes to make it fit. I have my doubts about the utility of the good quality ones like waeco and engel make, and this one was just black canvas.

It sure as hell won't be replacing the dual zone waeco on camping trips, but it does a good job for a beach/day trip fridge. I set it to -2 and it keeps drinks nice and cold. We'll see how it lasts.

Offline boondy_999

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #479 on: January 24, 2018, 07:11:32 PM »
Running a Waeco 11litre for a centre console, awesome for long distance travelling to get a snack or drink out while on the run rather than pull over and get into the back of the wagon.

80L Engel permanent in the back of the cruiser
Also run a 40L Engel as a freezer when going for an extended trip Frozen food/iceypoles & bait

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #480 on: January 24, 2018, 08:08:23 PM »
I've had the Fridgemate 60lt for a few years now, works great, just a little heavy on power if the setting isn't spot on.
Just got hold of a 20 year old Engel 40lt, runs brilliantly.
Might need a bag for it.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #481 on: January 24, 2018, 10:06:08 PM »
I've a 60 Ltr. Engel F/F in the Tug. works every time I turn it on for shopping, and hasn't failed me yet for trips away since 2012.
On that basis I bought a 45 Litre Engel for the Camper to increase capacity for trips.
I can run the 60 as a freezer without a prob. and adjust the 45 to whats needed.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:46:20 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
What Fridge do you use Poll.
« Reply #482 on: January 25, 2018, 05:11:02 AM »
I have an 8 year old 80 Ltr weaco that never missed a beat until either the compressor or control card failed last year and I have yet to fix, I also have a 40 ltr weaco that has a Engel thermostat in to replace the thermistor control weaco uses. It’s old as the hills but never misses a beat. The tolerances are a lot wider with the old style Engel thermostat. I ran it as a freezer for 3 weeks at straddy this year and it would cycle on at -3c and cycle off at -12c. But this is good enough for my needs and used bugger all power for a freezer.
Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #483 on: January 25, 2018, 03:22:47 PM »
My late father bought the old Engel some time in the mid 70s. He wasn't much into camping so it is still looking good, the scratches are on the other side.

Still works OK though a bit noisy and only superseded because it is a bit small for anything more than a weekend.

Must have been luxury back in its day. I have a vague recollection of it costing around $400 which is a huge amount for those times.   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:32:36 PM by rossm »

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #484 on: January 29, 2018, 10:51:03 PM »
My late father bought the old Engel some time in the mid 70s. He wasn't much into camping so it is still looking good, the scratches are on the other side.

Still works OK though a bit noisy and only superseded because it is a bit small for anything more than a weekend.

Must have been luxury back in its day. I have a vague recollection of it costing around $400 which is a huge amount for those times.

I got a 40 litre one around the late '70's I think. I remember it cost me just a tad under four weeks wages... They cost an absolute bomb but mine is still going strong. A bit rattly and somewhat tattered now but it's still a keeper.
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com
The following users thanked this post: rossm

Offline ANDYJAY

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #485 on: February 18, 2018, 11:49:17 AM »
evakool 175 in caravan

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
« Reply #486 on: June 16, 2018, 12:22:02 PM »

Can’t fault my companion it’s on everyday of the week and hasn’t let me down got it for a good price to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fullberries

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #487 on: September 16, 2018, 09:57:46 PM »
Ive been using a 60lt techni ice for 6 years now still going great

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
« Reply #488 on: November 18, 2018, 08:12:42 AM »
Got myself a Companion yesterday from BCF in the 60L size for $699
Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Mars Camper Surveyor

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #489 on: November 18, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »
I have an ARB 60 litre "Elements" fridge in the back of my Patrol, bought in December 2017. It's designed to be bolted to the back of a ute and will cope with weather exposure. The digital lock means you can lock valuables and car keys in it.

After a year of use I can safely say I'm very happy with it.

Not cheap - $1700 - but then again, not cheap. This fridge is quality on every level. I was looking at similarly priced fridges from Engel and National Luna.

https://www.arb.com.au/portable-fridge-freezers/elements-fridge-freezer/

End hinged lid makes it perfect for a 4wd wagon fridge slide. The lid gas strut holds the lid at whatever angle you open it to. Inbuilt light, digital locking system, remote temp phone app available (I don't have it - yet).

I run it off a JTS power box with a 100ah lead crystal battery. The fridge will run unopened off the battery alone for 7 days and battery will still be at 12.2 to 12.4 volts, so I haven't even bothered with solar yet.

Looks pretty cool too  8)

2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #490 on: November 19, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »

Trap for novices.

Took the old Engel away for the weekend because I only needed it for a few beers. Very hot day on Friday, didnt drive much and didn’t think to hook up solar  ... flattened the aux battery. The old ones dont have a low voltage cutout  >:D

Battery is a marine type lead acid. After two hour drive home yesterday it is reading 12 and a bit volts.
Will see how it recovers.

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #491 on: November 22, 2018, 04:46:42 PM »
I have an ARB 60 litre "Elements" fridge in the back of my Patrol, bought in December 2017. It's designed to be bolted to the back of a ute and will cope with weather exposure. The digital lock means you can lock valuables and car keys in it.

After a year of use I can safely say I'm very happy with it.

Not cheap - $1700 - but then again, not cheap. This fridge is quality on every level. I was looking at similarly priced fridges from Engel and National Luna.

https://www.arb.com.au/portable-fridge-freezers/elements-fridge-freezer/

End hinged lid makes it perfect for a 4wd wagon fridge slide. The lid gas strut holds the lid at whatever angle you open it to. Inbuilt light, digital locking system, remote temp phone app available (I don't have it - yet).

That sure is one badassed looking fridge. But I have to say, I think they're all pretty much weatherproof. My waeco has sat outside running in all kinds of weather, and I clean it like washing a car, soapy water and a sponge all over followed by a hose off all over. I've seen no sign that it doesn't like it.
It also has a phone app that lets you view and adjust the temps. Fun gimmick that I used once to try out and then never again, since I walk past my fridge a thousand times a day when I'm out. And anyway, there's plenty of happy engel owners out there with no idea what temp their fridge is at!

Edit: That just reminded me right after I clicked the post button, my 50L sphere fridge that came free with my trailer (new) has started dropping LCD segments after barely a year of very light occasional use. 2 went last weekend, pretty soon I'll never be able to change the set temp again because I won't know what it is. Wouldn't recommend a sphere to anyone.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 04:50:27 PM by Hookie »

Offline WarwickD

• Swag User
« Reply #492 on: January 27, 2019, 05:17:15 PM »
Ironman 4x4 50L. Had it about 4 years. Can't fault it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Offline bob65

• Swag User
« Reply #493 on: June 11, 2019, 11:38:21 PM »
Thread revival

Currently using 3 fridges here.

First was/is an ARB 60lt. Gave me at a guess 10 years service until one day (the day before I was leaving on a trip) it decided it wasn't going to work on 12v anymore. Still works on 240v though and is currently doing service as the beer fridge next to the arm chair in the loungeroom. Don't knock it, you all know that you want to do the same thing.

Second is a Waeco 45lt. I bought it because it was cheap (on special at the time), had to fit under the tonneau of the hilux, and needed a fridge to use instead of the ARB that stopped working on 12v.

It broke down on that trip. During the 14 hour drive to get where I was going it stopped cooling. Put a bag of ice in it when the temp reached 12°. Fortunately there was a fridge at the farm that the farmer let us use, but the ice was all but melted by the time we got there. Checked inside the fridge a couple of days later and the melted ice had frozen into a solid lump.

I contacted Dometic and they said no problem, something wrong with the thermostat. Take it back and swap it for another. I did that, got it home and put it together, but the cover was made wrong. The holes for the handle at one end only were in the wrong spot, like they held it upside down when they cut them or something. Contacted Dometic again with photos and asked them to send me one in the mail because I had already been to the shop twice for a fridge I bought in good faith. They said no, take the whole lot back to the shop and get another. I ended not bothering, cutting new holes for the handle with a stanley knife and sticking it all together with duck tape (there is nothing that won't fix).

That fridge has worked fine for a year or two now, but I don't think I will get another Waeco.

3rd fridge is new, only put the order in today. An Evercool 95lt dual zone. Haven't gotten it yet so will see how that goes.

Offline k100dennis

• Learning the Ropes
  • Dennis & Wendy Brown
« Reply #494 on: September 03, 2019, 02:33:35 PM »
Engel 60 litre all in one, not the combi.  For the round Oz trip I reckon we'll get a 40 litre as well.  Use the 40 as a freezer only and the 60 as the fridge.
I find the 60 reads 2 degrees cooler than it actually is inside.  Checked with a digital probe and FLUKE IR gun from work.  I hate frozen beer, Wendy hates frozen lettuce !
Kimberly Kamper Kakadu, 2001 model.  NP Pajero, 3.2 DiD.

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #495 on: September 04, 2019, 04:35:02 PM »
The OEM Dometic 140ltr upright compressor fridge in our pop top failed on 240v, (still operates on 12v) during a trip to Bundaberg last week. To be honest, this thing has never been a hit with us, consuming up to 6.2A every time it turned on. This happened in 19-20 minute cycles, no matter what the ambient temp was. We have just ordered a Bushman 130ltr upright compressor fridge to replace the Dometic. It is 12v only, which suits us. We thought long and hard about having a 3 way installed, but after reading reviews, felt the Bushman would be a reasonable option at less than half the price of a 3 way, not including the gas fitting required.
Edit: Arrived and installed. Been working for approx 4 days and consumes a measly (compared to the Waeco) 3.1amp when running.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:49:51 PM by bmwfreak »
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline Philbo

• Tent User
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #496 on: November 14, 2019, 12:23:27 PM »
Kings from 4wdsupacentre. so pls add Kings.
Brother has a Ridge Rider (aka Evakool) Pls add that if it isn't there, thanks.
(just bought my 45L Kings and arrived today actually!
Was Techniice but never again. I learn.  >:(
Two of the same, both failed and never went off road or on road for that matter with
eithr.
The first one bought new I ran intermittently to keep solder flux cool and some soft drinks
for load. Died not long out of warranty. If I knew my rights then I would have pushed back.
Second one was bought used but worked well for a year until just the other day I noticed
the temp was wrong. On further investigation it wasn't working properly. After a cleanout
(nothing special but turned off to do it) it won't work at all. Rubbish Domus compressors.
The Kings has a Secop and they flog that point. So it's cheap but tested only 2 hours ago
and (temp probe inside and stopwatch) got down to 0 degrees in just over 27 minutes.
It's quiet too. I sat within a metre of it but couldn't hear a thing. Eh, what's that?
Hooked up to an ammeter it sucked 5.5A at one stage but settled down to around 4.1A.
I will set this at 3 degrees as per Brad at 4wdsupacentre and see how it goes. Gotta run
it while the 2 year warranty is in, not sit in the shed waiting for the next camping trip.
So I'll vote for Kings but next fridge will be either an Evakool or Bushman; both Aussie,, both
get good reviews, especially the Bushman.
If this is the wrong thread for this somewhat whingy post, I do apologise folks.
philbo
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 02:30:16 PM by Philbo »
I taught him all I know . . . and still he knows nothing!

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #497 on: November 14, 2019, 01:14:24 PM »
Kings from 4wdsupacentre. so pls add Kings.
Brother has a Ridge Rider (aka Evakool) Pls add that if it isn't there, thanks.
(just bought my 45L Kings and arrived today actually!
Was Techniice but never again. I learn.  >:(
Two of the same, both failed and never went off road or on road for that matter with
eithr.
The first one bought new I ran intermittently to keep solder flux cool and some soft drinks
for load. Died not long out of warranty. If I knew my rights then I would have pushed back.
Second one was bought used but worked well for a year until just the other day I noticed
the temp was wrong. On further investigation it wasn't working properly. After a cleanout
(nothing special but turned off to do it) it won't work at all. Rubbish Domus compressors.
The Kings has a Secop and they flog that point. So it's cheap but tested only 2 hours ago
and (temp probe inside and stopwatch) got down to 0 degrees in just over 17 minutes.
It's quiet too. I sat within a metre of it but couldn't hear a thing. Eh, what's that?
Hooked up to an ammeter it sucked 5.5A at one stage but settled down to around 4.1A.
I will set this at 3 degrees as per Brad at 4wdsupacentre and see how it goes. Gotta run
it while the 2 year warranty is in, not sit in the shed waiting for the next camping trip.
So I'll vote for Kings but next fridge will be either an Evakool or Bushman; both Aussie,, both
get good reviews, especially the Bushman.
If this is the wrong thread for this somewhat whingy post, I do apologise folks.
philbo

Vote away

GG

Offline Philbo

• Tent User
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #498 on: November 24, 2019, 10:16:54 PM »
Not a Bushmans or an Evakool. I thought very long and very hard before settling on the Waeco. I've since ordered a Dometic 75DZW which is due very soon. Excited to have enough fridge space for the family and it also puts further pressure on the little lady to let us all go camping. That will be next year after the summer heat I think. By that time the Kings 45L and the Waeco 75L will have shown me whether they are or are not going to give me grief with warranty issues.
I don't know how to vote another fridge though as the only button I see is the Remove Vote button. I don't want to remove the Kings I voted for and it's the only one on it so far!  ???

Ah remembered! Took so long to get to my post I forgot what I wanted to add to it.
I've just completed a 24hour logged test with the Kings fridge and I will work out current draw soon. I have all the numbers.
I'm gonna do the same with the Waeko/Dometic 75DZW dual zone which I am very much interested in seeing as it's a biggish fridge.
I need to know if my 120W solar panel is enough or do I need to buy another.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:34:33 PM by Philbo »

Offline Philbo

• Tent User
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #499 on: December 12, 2019, 02:12:49 PM »
So I have completed the Kings 45L logged measurements and then recently using a watt meter/analyser cheaply bought off eBay I got the same usage for one days measurements. With daytime temps maxing out at 37c and nighttime temps no less than 23
I was happy with the Kings result. It used 19h for a full day using a logging device connected to a PC while set at 2c. That result was mirrored by the wattmeter result at 19.006Ah. Fridge was full of cold items, because full is better for the fridge. The Waeco CFX75 with both sides set at 1c I measured 24.6Ah also with compartments full. I find temps are more stable when fridge is full of cold stuff.
So when I read of poster's fridges clmbing up and down the scal I wonder if they have the compartments full as in really full of cold stuff.