Author Topic: I taste plastic!  (Read 8005 times)

Offline jswaggerking

• Sleeping Bag User
I taste plastic!
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:33:24 PM »
Hey guys n gals,

I've just thrown in a water storage pvc conduit system into the trailer for backup water ect

I only made it on the weekend and put water in yesterday arvo, tried a bit of water and boom! Plastic, disgusting!

So I've heard people flush through bicarbonate soda, white vinegar and or a bit of bleach.. Or just play the waiting game.

So my question is; is there anything else out there that will get rid of the plastic taste without tasting like some other crap? And not have to wait a month to have nice water..

Thankyou :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
Re: I taste plastic!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:15:12 PM »
How did you fill the system, if it was a garden hose this coud be the issue but couldn't see how you filled it
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline jswaggerking

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 05:08:09 AM »
Yeah was a garden hose, but I don't get the plastic taste from jerry cans :/

Offline scubasteve

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 06:49:09 AM »
Go to a caravan place and buy a product called Tank Cleen , I have a plastic tank on my CT and that was about the only thing that got rid of the plastic taste with minimal effort.
Regards.

Offline jswaggerking

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 07:03:33 AM »
Is that product a one off thing or do you have to add it per tank?

KingBilly

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 08:09:52 AM »
Ok, so you made a water tank out of PVC piping.  Is that correct?  Did you clean the pipes first?  How much PVC glue ended up inside the pipes when making the joins?  If I am on the wrong track, disregard previous.

You need to fill water storage with a food safe hose.  Buying food grade hose from a caravan supply shop will cost you heaps.  Instead go to Bunnings, they sell it a lot cheaper.  Also any connecting hoses in your system need to use food grade hoses.  And do not use clear hoses as they will allow sunlight in and will grow algae.

KB

Offline scubasteve

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 09:51:31 AM »
Is that product a one off thing or do you have to add it per tank?

It's a one off , you may have to retreat if you pick up some bad water from a refill.
I have used it twice in 4.5 years , first time when CT new , second time bad water from out west from refill.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:54:46 AM by scubasteve »

Offline jswaggerking

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:56:09 AM »

Ok, so you made a water tank out of PVC piping.  Is that correct?  Did you clean the pipes first?  How much PVC glue ended up inside the pipes when making the joins?  If I am on the wrong track, disregard previous.

You need to fill water storage with a food safe hose.  Buying food grade hose from a caravan supply shop will cost you heaps.  Instead go to Bunnings, they sell it a lot cheaper.  Also any connecting hoses in your system need to use food grade hoses.  And do not use clear hoses as they will allow sunlight in and will grow algae.

KB

You are correct, minimal glue got in when glueing and was cleaned with washing up liquid prior to glueing.

Thanks for the advice

Offline jswaggerking

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 10:56:58 AM »

It's a one off , you may have to retreat if you pick up some bad water from a refill.
I have used it twice in 4.5 years , first time when CT new , second time bad water from out west from refill.

Thanks mate how much is the treatment??

Offline scubasteve

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:46:27 AM »
$15.00 is what I paid for it , it come's in a 200 gram tub and does about 182 L (going by what's on the label).

Offline jswaggerking

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »
Thanks mate

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 07:15:45 PM »
Hi mate
You must use food grade plastics and hoses. Treatment is not the answer.
Non-food grade plastics and hoses like garden hose often has no real controls on what is used in manufacture so it's possible that it will contain lead and other neurotoxins.

It's the same with onboard water tanks made out of PVC water pipe. basically drinking poison because if the chemicals that are used to stabilise the plastic = why it tastes yuk

very bad for humans especially little kids

1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline lochgilphead

• Tent User
  • Disgruntled by work; Gruntled by camping
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 09:32:45 PM »
Try raspberry cordial - yeah I know it sounds weird but it will work.  Very strong mix and flush out a couple of times.  I made 70 litres in the front tank of the KK and apart from the fact I could have had every kid in 50 k radius on a sugar high it worked very well.  Good luck.  Mac  :cheers:
Mac and Jen - Isuzu MUX with some small mods towing a Rhinomax Discovery. This is our rig until we stop travelling!!

Offline Murph

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 09:50:12 PM »
Please tell me you used the grey PVC? Class 12 ?

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »
I am with those recommending the use of a food safe hose to fill the tank. We had a disgusting taste from the tanks of our camper, but only when the temperature was above 30C for a couple of days (heading north in other words). Down south it was fine. We tried everything to get rid of the taste (vanilla essence, bicarb, a tank cleaner and multiple rinses), but as we didn't get into the heat all the time it was hard to solve the riddle.
Finally purchased the proper hose and all is now great. Even if the new additions are causing you problems now, I would still strongly recommend getting the proper hose to fill.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 09:38:25 AM »
Yeah what the others said re food grade- http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1402
They also do 1" filler hose and upgrading my Jayco poly tank from 59L to 82L I discovered the clear PVC tubing was full of algae so finally found that black stuff. You realize why they make black food grade poly tanks for water when you're in the building game and remove white PVC downpipes and see the algae inside them, whereas not so if they've been painted a dark colour.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline markandgill

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 04:37:57 PM »
as most have said you need to use drinking hose to fill your tank.

Definitely don't use a garden hose if you plan on drinking the water.

There have been some horror stories of campers filling their tank from a garden hose and then all ending up crook with dodgy guts due to the drinking water.....A garden hose nearly always has water left lying in it....it sits outside in the sun for days , or even weeks, before being used again.....all the bacteria is multiplying at an alarming rate during this time.....then you come along and use this hosepipe to fill your drinking water container....NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Also , as others have said, you should get Tank clean and flush water system out every few months.

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 09:46:02 PM »
 ditto with all the above - we only have the tank that came with the camper and we never cleaned it properly with anything when we bought it but filling it with the garden hose was the biggest mistake. since getting the food grade one from bunnings there has been less of a taste but its hard to get rid of it totally due to the sheer nature of plastic of any sort. as for the pvc pipe, I heard of a young girl who broke out in such a rash she was close to being hospitalised due to an allergy to the plastic in someones home brew pvc pipe shower tank - she did turn out to have a particularly extreme allergy and things like plastic packaging especially foam were bad news for her but its something to think about

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 10:00:13 AM »
I am going to go against the grain, fill my tank all the time with the hose from home, just water the garden with the first bit to flush it out, never had a problem. All our water is stored in plastic tanks, flows through plastic pipes and then through the garden hose. Maybe I am just lucky

GG

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »
Absolutely cruza cos rainwater tanks are poly and your garden hose has a black or dark core and as you say run a bit on the garden before filling the camper. Just like taking a drink out the hose and getting rid of any redbacks first. As far as Jayco goes, the tanks are black poly so why not black hoses and I don't flush mine. Nevertheless with the new tank and hoses you still experienced a plastic taste first fill but that had disappeared completely with another fill or two. If that doesn't happen with ordinary pvc then I guess you know what's going down.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:08:39 PM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 01:05:07 PM »
We have filled all our tanks on various campers and caravans as well as spare plastic water containers and our ute s/s water tank with a garden hose.  We put a filter close to the end to take any sediment out of the water.  Maybe because it is tank water and the hose has only ever been used with tank water, but our water tastes just as good as it does out of any of my in-house taps.

I know other people who have said their's tastes like crap if they use a garden hose but I wonder if it is the garden hose, the water quality or the tank they are filling into which is the problem.

Anyway, we will continue to use our garden hose. 

Peanut

Offline moose2367

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »
Bloody hell, everyone used to drink straight from a garden hose in years gone by.  Now it's a no no according to some of you to even fill a tank with one.

How much softer can we get.  Why not fill it with bottled water. 

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 05:33:12 PM »
yeh its weird how the hoses of days gone by didn't seem to put as much taste into water - I have noticed that too - maybe we were just more resilient back then or more naive? or newer plastics are probably just that - newer plastics - one would think theyd be better now

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 05:41:32 PM »
It's already been said, but did you use the right type of PVC pipe to make the storage ?

PVC-U is lead free, safe for potable water, and shouldn't taint the taste, the other type is not, is not, and will.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:51:49 PM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline moose2367

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 05:43:33 PM »
No, people are just soft now, our fore fathers would be embarassed. 

Imagine having to drink bore water, or water from a dam if you were thirsty.