Author Topic: New camper?  (Read 3335 times)

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
New camper?
« on: February 04, 2023, 09:54:02 AM »
Good morning swaggers, it's been months (years?) since I've posted in here. Work and health have curtailed any extended camping trips, but I'm now heading for my 2nd retirement and looking to get out into the bush again.
We've just sold our beloved Kimberley which was ours for 15 years and about 80,000 kms. Our original thoughts were, as age is catching up, to graduate up to a caravan with ensuite. Strangely enough the missus is more opposed to this idea than me.
Anyway, I'm looking at a forward fold camper trailer as well as a couple of vans. The camper is an MDC Highside and comes with annex, ensuite tent and toilet, all of which takes a bit of setting up.
I've watched a video of the setting up of this camper and it seemed to take forever (4 minutes to be exact) The old Kimberley was up in 30 seconds.
So, just putting it out there, has anyone in this forum used one of these MDC campers and what are your thoughts?
Also any recommendations for other FF models. I'm looking at spending about $25,000
Cheers, TIA
farcanal
2018 Pajero NX GLS 3.2D auto, 2004 Kimberley Kamper Escape

Offline rkl71

• Swag User
Re: New camper?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 12:44:39 PM »
I also am looking for a new camper/hybrid, My wish list is for an easy set up with toilet/shower (the last two are mainly for SWMBO). my main problem is height, I am limited to less than 2.05 metres, I have looked at a number but their minimum height is well over my limit. There is one manufacturer on the sunny coast but are not taking orders till the end of 2023, too long to wait.
I seem to find a new maker every week but they all seem to be exactly the same height or more.

Offline whatsa

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 01:11:55 PM »
Highside looks nice
I just replaced my old cub camper with a avan cruiseliner thats been lifted.
Same thing as you getting back into it (though back issues made the avan the choice)
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.....

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 08:39:04 PM »
Highside looks nice
I just replaced my old cub camper with a avan cruiseliner thats been lifted.
Same thing as you getting back into it (though back issues made the avan the choice)

Yeah, I looked at an Avan cruiseliner with ensuite in my home town.
Apart from being quite cramped with the ensuite in the front left hand corner, it was the east/west bed that turned me off that particular van.
It was probably value to the right people at $16,500

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 07:51:27 PM »
Have you looked at Modcon in Brisbane or guardian, they are a Mackay company but also have a show room in the Sunshine Coast.
There forward folds are almost identical.

Sent from me

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 08:15:56 PM »
Have you looked at Modcon in Brisbane or guardian, they are a Mackay company but also have a show room in the Sunshine Coast.
There forward folds are almost identical.

Sent from me
Cheers, I'll have a look

Offline Cube_Squared

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 03:30:49 PM »
Also Broadwater campers, Pine Ridge Road, Gold Coast.  Good show room.

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 11:30:41 AM »
I would steer away from any camper trailer, setting up canvas gets old quickly, i would be looking at hybrids and compact pop top vans.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 11:52:40 AM »
guardian, they are a Mackay company but also have a show room in the Sunshine Coast.

I live in Mackay... not sure that Guardian Campers are a Mackay company...

I would probably steer clear of them anyways...

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 01:14:10 PM »
I would steer away from any camper trailer, setting up canvas gets old quickly, i would be looking at hybrids and compact pop top vans.
I had the KK camper for 14 years, didn't really mind setting up, although  the Kimberley was very quick to open.
The awning and annex certainly took some time.
Looking at forward fold campers , the awning and annex are quite a bit smaller than the KK and I think, because of that, they're quicker to erect.
If we're off travelling time doesn't really matter....unless it's pissing down.

Offline whatsa

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 06:34:45 PM »
I had the KK camper for 14 years, didn't really mind setting up, although  the Kimberley was very quick to open.
Looking at forward fold campers , the awning and annex are quite a bit smaller than the KK and I think, because of that, they're quicker to erect.
If we're off travelling time doesn't really matter....unless it's pissing down.
Yeah the forward or rear fold are good if touring too... basic quick open and sleep.
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 12:31:16 PM »
Quote from: farcanal
... although  the Kimberley was very quick to open.

I think thats most trailers.. the tent section folds out, 2 or 4 poles = done...
Awning = pain...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline 6knights

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2023, 10:28:48 AM »
A second vote for the Modcon FF if the canvas bit doesn't worry you, they are quick to open and quite comfortable for two people. I would strongly suggest that you looked at one of the Brisbane made ones (around the 2012 year) before they went to the overseas manufacturing as they seem to have a few issues arising,
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 10:30:25 AM by 6knights »
2006 100 series towing a 2012 modcon HFA  🙂

Offline BrettA

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2023, 05:37:46 PM »
Hi farcanal and others.
We have a motorhome in NZ. Looking to buy ute and camper trailer to tour Oz ( have been around a bit in rental campers)
Looking at Chinese makes, price is a factor.
So many choices. Like the look of Ezytrail's Stirling gt MK3 that seems to get pretty good reviews. $26,000.
Am considering the Cub Scout( Oz made as you'd all know) lighter all round than MK3, $37,000

We have no wish to do the Telegraph Road, by ones like Gibb River, or Birdsville, or Tanami are on the list.

Sorry farcanal, all this doesn't get you anywhere regarding MDC.
Be great to hear thoughts on the Ezytrail inparticuklar.

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2023, 12:19:41 PM »
Hi farcanal and others.
We have a motorhome in NZ. Looking to buy ute and camper trailer to tour Oz ( have been around a bit in rental campers)
Looking at Chinese makes, price is a factor.
So many choices. Like the look of Ezytrail's Stirling gt MK3 that seems to get pretty good reviews. $26,000.
Am considering the Cub Scout( Oz made as you'd all know) lighter all round than MK3, $37,000

We have no wish to do the Telegraph Road, by ones like Gibb River, or Birdsville, or Tanami are on the list.

Sorry farcanal, all this doesn't get you anywhere regarding MDC.
Be great to hear thoughts on the Ezytrail inparticuklar.

Hi Brett, we must be on the same page.
I did a fair bit of research, and finished up at the Perth caravan and camping show last weekend.
I had narrowed my search down to MDC Highside,  Stoney Creek and the Easytrail Stirling.
At the show MDC didn't have the Highside, didn't seem that interested in me so I just gravitated between Stoney Creek and Easytrail.
I liked them both but the Stoney Creek just didn't seem to be as well put together as the Easytrail. They're both Chinese and quite similar in design etc.
Finished up with a good deal on the Easytrail Stirling GT Mk 3. $24500 on the road with TV, toilet , heavy duty jockey wheel and an off grid solar pack with dc to dc charger and solar blanket, plus inverter.
Delivery in about 4 weeks.
I'll keep you posted.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2023, 07:16:36 AM »
Congratulations! :cup:
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2023, 08:40:26 AM »
Well done farcanal, I believe you went the right way.

We have watched friends with various FF campers over several long trips across some fairly rough country and the campers handled it easily. Set up went well, but neither of them set them up fully, usually didn't put stabilisers down or put bows in window awnings. Pack up appeared to take two people to get there. Both couples are retired.

The first couple arrived at the point that they were struggling to close the camper and had to reluctantly move it on, as they loved the layout the FF provided.

The second couple also loved the layout of their FF (obviously), but after a 6 week trip to the Gulf and back, they were tempted by a second hand Austrack hybrid that was for sale in their town. The FF was brand new and the main objection to it was that the heater failed to work, after they had spent quite a bit on getting it upgraded. We went north, in July, via Tibooburra, Dig Tree, Haddon's Corner, Birdsville, and at each of these places the overnight temperatures were very low, into the minuses at times. The lack of a heater was a very sore point, and by the time we returned home, again through very cold temps, they were over it. I know it was no doubt an easy thing to mend, but they were cheesed with it.

We have just returned from a 2 week trip up to Tibooburra, across to the Strzelecki, down to the Gammon and Flinders Ranges, and home. It was a fair test of the hybrid, and it went well. I couldn't believe how quickly it opened and packed up, and suited them to a tee. Obviously we had heat and not cold, but the relaxed way it closed seemed quite impressive.

Enjoy the new hybrid.

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2023, 07:12:03 PM »
Finally picked up the camper, PMX are the dealers but I believe the camper is an Ezytrail.
Bit of confusion on the pick up day, after being told a week prior that it was ready, then arrived 8.15am for handover only to be told it wasn't ready, the off grid Victron solar charging system wasn't installed.
Long story short, grumpy farcanal and missus, over 4 hours waiting, told them numerous times we were driving 400kms to get home that day,
eventually hooked up and they realised we were far from happy....chucked in a gas hot water system to smooth things over.
Opened it up for the 1st time today to wet the canvas, which has to be done 3 times apparently.
Took about 20 minutes, but I'm sure we'll cut that in half after a few more attempts.
Very happy so far with what we've got.
I'll be removing and checking wheel bearings before we set off on our 1st camping trip which should be in a week or 3.