Author Topic: travelling alone  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Swagpot

• Learning the Ropes
travelling alone
« on: December 23, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »
Hi

new member, have camping in my blood, problem is my wife doesn't. just dreaming about a trip around Oz, maybe in camper trailer.
Just wondering any ones thoughts on travelling alone?

Cheers
Swagpot

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
Re: travelling alone
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 12:40:48 PM »
Lots of people do it...so as long as you can manage your camper solo there shouldn't be a problem...just listen to yourself about where to stop and if you don't feel ok there then don't do it...
Cheers, and have a merry Christmas.
Desert Lover

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 02:16:28 PM »
Buy a ute and setup a canopy on the back.. more than enough space, and less hassle, less fuel, easier to use... that's what I'll be doing
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 02:57:15 PM »
Buy a ute and setup a canopy on the back.. more than enough space, and less hassle, less fuel, easier to use... that's what I'll be doing

Having lost my wife to stinking cancer I am just in the process of replacing the tub on the dual cab with a tray & building a canopy. Picked up a used tray yesterday ($350) & will start soon with the help of the daughter's other half.

Once done will hit the road just cannot decide what to do with the house only know I will not rent it out. Have son in there at the moment.

Offline woftam

• Tent User
  • Conanti dabitur
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 04:22:16 PM »
Raym, am in a similar situation. Been 10 months. House is rented as it already was. Have kept the CT although memories are a two edged sword.
Swagpot have done a fair bit of travelling solo lately and the only thing I am changing is to get a dog.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
-Dr. Seuss

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 05:36:02 PM »
It can be safely and successfully achieved.

Just be aware of your limits; (ie: avoid overestimation of same; which humanity in general is very prone to do).

Then try and have the mindset of multiple redundancy backups: (spares; water; cash; comms; fuel; first aid; personal safety).

And then get out there and enjoy..  "Seize the moments"

:cheers:
BaseCamp
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 06:15:12 PM »
Nowadays there not that many spots where you can go and not see anyone after a few days. You will be surprised by the amount of people you meet when travelling, and you will probably bump into them a few times on your travels. Some become friends and they arrange to meet up with each other at certain spots too.
Sat phones and their plans are fairly cheap so keeping contact and calling for help isn't a problem(I was looking at Pivotels Thuraya plans)
Dogs are not only good companions but also can be a good deterrent. They will limit your travel destinations though. But kennels can be a solution for the must see areas.
Absolutely go and do it while you can.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

KingBilly

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 06:55:40 PM »
If I was travelling alone, I would do what Bird suggests.  A canopy on the back of a ute.  I reckon I would choose a space cab rather than a dual cab because you could fit a longer canopy and sleep in it.

As for travelling alone, we have done several solo trips lately and reckon they have been our best trips so far.  Nobody else to please. No waiting around for other people.  Lots of freedom and you are on your own timetable to do whatever you please.

Have never been worried about getting stuck as somebody else is always around, even in the most remote places, surprised me a few times when others have shown up at what we thought was a unique camp spot.  Carry a sat phone and you will be just fine.

Oh, and welcome to myswag.

Happy camping
KB

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 10:10:32 AM »
I have found whilst travelling solo (OS) that I needed to talk to someone about every 4 - 5 days.  You will find what your needs are but as has been said there are plenty of people to chat to in camping spots and you have at least 1 thing in common.

Offline Discoduck

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 08:24:17 PM »
Don't be fearful, just get out there.
Check 'Roaming The Outback' (don't have link). Bloke called Brett details is conversion work on his Defender and gives details on hid solo travels around Oz. Worth a look.
I travel alone. Done some European countries month at a time alone, well isolated by language mainly. Also camp alone with my dog, but currently have Tvan so bit more style :D
Anyway give it a go, I'm sure you'll love it.
Nissan Patrol GU 4.2TD
Trakmaster Nullarbor, Air suspension

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 09:29:31 PM »
Last year when we travelled through FNQ , some Gulf Country we met several  mature age ladies traveling alone, they had no qualms about free camping or in parks. Their mode of transport though was almost invariably some sot of medium size commercial van , converted into a pop top camper to their specs with a side awning.Fast and easy to set up and pack up by 1 person.
1 lady we met at Normanton was 83 years old  :cup: :cup:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 10:32:25 PM »
My sister is in her mid sixties and travels alone, Been doing it bout 5 years or so, regularly doing trips to WA, SA, NT, VIC usualy about two to three months at a time in Just a very basic fitted out  VW Caddy van .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Swagpot

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 12:05:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for mixed responses. taken all on board.
great help.
will be on the Wombat highway soon.
Cheers & Beers

Swagpot

Offline Collygirl

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 08:29:48 PM »
I'm a single lady doing it on her own, but I have a caravan though. I still have to work, not old enough to retire, and when I get sick of a town, I just look for a job in another town. It does get lonely at times, I spend a lot of time in the van, but there is always someone to talk to if I wanted to go outside and wander. I have seen sooooo much of this country it's incrediable. 😀😀😀😀

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »
 ^^^  that's great Collygirl - I am sure many on here would enjoy reading some of your stories and adventures; (and the challenges) - being a lone female traveler throughout this vast land...

So please write some stuff up, and let us have a read; the insights would be a treasure..

:cheers:
BaseCamp
 :laugh:
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Discoduck

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 07:10:36 PM »
x 2  :cheers:
Nissan Patrol GU 4.2TD
Trakmaster Nullarbor, Air suspension