Author Topic: We bought one!  (Read 5040 times)

Offline slowtrip

• Tent User
We bought one!
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »
I am one of the many (I suspect) people who got hooked on the idea at the latest Brisbane Caravan and Trailer show.  We went along there to see what was for sale, and I was impressed with the thought and ingenuity behind many of the camper trailers we looked at.  Also, they were cheaper than we expected, so we got very enthusiastic about buying one.

We looked at everything from soft floors (a term we had not heard before), through hard floors to popup caravans.  Even one strange but intriguing A frame shaped one.  We decided the low end of the market, a soft floor was actually what we wanted.

After looking at quite a few, we found a very friendly fellow who impressed us, both with his product and the way he explained things.  It was also nice that it was a local SE QLD company.    We took the brochures and went home to sleep on it, but in the morning, we were still keen, so I rang up the company, talked to the guy's wife, and placed an order.

We now await the deliver of a an SUV Roader from Emu Camper Trailers  http://www.emucampers.com.au/portfolio/semi-off-road-camper-trailer/   Our car is not a 4WD so this semi-offroader suits us.

The plan is to train ourselves in using it on a couple of short trips this year, and take a BIG trip next year to Darwin (staying on the good roads :) )

Emu SUV Roader Camper

KingBilly

Re: We bought one!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:34:31 AM »
Congrats  :cup:  Look forward to seeing some pics.  How long is the wait?

KB
The following users thanked this post: slowtrip

Offline GregP

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
Hi Slow trip

Welcome to My Swag.

The Emu SUV looks an awesome camper.

Get out there and enjoy.  Start saving for an upgrade for your tug because you will want to get out further.

Hope the wait isn't too long

Cheers,

GregP
GU Patrol

Cavalier Off Road

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:02:12 AM »
congratulations on your purchase mate :cup:
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline slowtrip

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:14:57 AM »
Congrats  :cup:  Look forward to seeing some pics.  How long is the wait?

KB

2 - 3 weeks, due to the show and an influx of orders.  That's fine though, gives me time to think about things.
Emu SUV Roader Camper

Offline slowtrip

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »
Hi Slow trip

Welcome to My Swag.

The Emu SUV looks an awesome camper.

Get out there and enjoy.  Start saving for an upgrade for your tug because you will want to get out further.

Hope the wait isn't too long

Cheers,

GregP

Thanks.  Yep, only a few weeks delay before we get it.
Emu SUV Roader Camper

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase, do you know if there was much price difference between the on and off road camper your looking at?

Reason I ask is I remember when ordering mine I was asking about prices of different models and the salesperson/owner was saying he rarely gets orders for on road as clients normally upgrade to the off road model. When I say upgrade my brand trailer for off road was only about $300 more expensive to cover the springs, rims/tyres etc. But his reason for the upgrade is over the years he has seen many customers who originally went the on road version come wanting to upgrade the trailer as over time ended up going to more remote places where the off road version had it’s merits. He also made a good point off road campers have a far larger 2nd hand audience if you ever decide to sell the trailer in the future. 

Offline slowtrip

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 12:46:36 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase, do you know if there was much price difference between the on and off road camper your looking at?

Reason I ask is I remember when ordering mine I was asking about prices of different models and the salesperson/owner was saying he rarely gets orders for on road as clients normally upgrade to the off road model. When I say upgrade my brand trailer for off road was only about $300 more expensive to cover the springs, rims/tyres etc. But his reason for the upgrade is over the years he has seen many customers who originally went the on road version come wanting to upgrade the trailer as over time ended up going to more remote places where the off road version had it’s merits. He also made a good point off road campers have a far larger 2nd hand audience if you ever decide to sell the trailer in the future.

I can't see an on-roader in the price list.  Ours is called a semi off-road, and is the cheapest at about $7k.  Next one up is full off-road. It costs about $2k more. I added brakes to mine, and of course there's rego, still it stayed under $8k.

I will need a much bigger car before I need a full off-road trailer I think.
Emu SUV Roader Camper

Offline speedhump

• Tent User
  • Going places ... others dream!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »

Welcome to My Swag - enjoy your camper
Speedhump
Speedhump
2013 triton 4WD dual cab
2016 New Age Wallaby Caravan
4.55m Makocraft runabout & Quintrex 350 cartopper
Our Blog: chezzastravels.wordpress.com

Offline slowtrip

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 04:15:21 PM »
Welcome to My Swag - enjoy your camper
Speedhump

Thank you.  Will do  :cheers: everyone.
Emu SUV Roader Camper

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 09:12:44 AM »
Welcome, enjoy your camper.
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 05:29:34 PM »
 Welcome. I'm sure you'll get great use out of your camper and have chosen the one that suits your needs.

You can always upgrade later if you want. The main thing is to get out there and use it
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway