Author Topic: Which Camper Trailer?  (Read 5786 times)

Offline stevemalcs

• Learning the Ropes
Which Camper Trailer?
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »
Hi folks,

Been looking for a CT for a while and have just joined myswag.  Got my eye on the Aussie Jays Crusher (formerly the Big Red) and Sunset Campers Crossover Deluxe,  Shown here - http://www.sunsetcampertrailers.com.au/crossover-deluxe/

There are plenty positive reviews/comments on the Aussie Jays but haven't found much on the Sunset.

Appreciate any positive/negative thoughts on either camper that you might have.

Thanks,
Steve

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
Re: Which Camper Trailer?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »
Hi Steve and welcome to the clan!!

Have you been able to have a look over both CT's? If you haven't, then do so. It will give you a better perspective on how they are built and design.

Enjoy your stay mate and remember to show us your travels!!

:cheers:

Strvy
Cheers

Strvy

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »
I believe that the crusher is a full off road, whereas the other is only a semi off road.
I would probably go for the crusher. It will give you more options down the track i believe.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
Which Camper Trailer?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »
Being a Big Red / Crusher owner I may be a bit bias but believe me they are a very well built trailer with a good quality tent. They are a full off road trailer, but if you're looking for a semi you'll save some more $. I'm yet to see any negative feedback on them. Can't comment on the other one you're looking at.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:08:21 PM »
Theres some outstanding used trailers for ~$8k at the moment in the trader section with lots of accessories. $2000 is a lot of fuel.

YMMV
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:26:13 PM »
Welcome to Myswag Steve,
There will be plenty of advice on which way to go but you really need to inspect both CT,s with a list of what you need and then compare the best value for what you get. Don,t be rushed as this is a big decision and you must be happy with your choice.
All the best and happy camping when you get out there.

Rob C
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline stevemalcs

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 09:59:36 PM »
Thanks all.  Good advice to go check them out.  I see a trip to Williamstown in the very near future..

Thanks again.

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
Welcome aboard Steve-o :cheers:

This might be just what your looking for http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=28205.msg446898#top

BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Ashes

• Tent User
  • Aussie Jays CT
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 09:47:38 AM »
I think you be happy with either of those options and plenty of others out there.  I got a 2nd hand Aussie Jays with a new tent and am very happy with it.  I've added some bits to mine since I got it and am enjoying the process of setting it how I want it.  Most of the mods really aren't necessary but just things I would like to have as opposed to need.  More important is to work out a type f trailer to suit your needs and budget you are happy with.  Soft floor vs hard floor vs compact van vs cost.

Most of the soft top camper trailers are pretty similar, build quality varies of course and each have little things about them that you might enjoy or get frustrated with.  As an example, on my AJ the PVC tent cover is loose fitting which I find is great as it is easy to get the tent folded up under it and has room to store the extra canvas walls, kids room, table,  tarps etc.  if I had to put most of these in the trailer tub, I'd struggle for space.  I have a SS kitchen in mine but I would prefer a Drifta with its extra draws etc. 

Many things you won't work out until you actually take one camping a few times.

Enjoy the hunt and subsequent trips.

Offline weso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • be good or be good at it !!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 64eh.com
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »
Damn ashes well said !!!
I think you covered it all ........
64 EH(premier sedan)gone but will never be forgotten, 64VAN(windowless panel van),
2008 Nisan Navara, leisure matters ranger hard floor

Offline Ashmo

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 10:14:38 PM »
Hi Steve, welcome. We recently purchased a sunset, after months of research and agree with rob about not rushing. We spent considerable time working out what we wanted and kept a close eye on the second hand market as a new on was probably not going to be within our budget.
Only been out in ours once but what I really like is the ease the tent goes up. It took les that 5 mins from pull up to the tent being up, and only 10-15 mins to complete the job, ie pegs awning etc.
The only thing I didn't like was that the tent bar across the door means I need to duck slightly to get thought the door. Not a real problem, I'm only 5 7 and the good wife 5 4, could be a prob for taller people.
Cheers
Ashmo
Blog of our adventures http://Camper444.blogspot.com.au

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »
Welcome to Myswag Steve. As you can see there is a lot of experience and god advice here.  Good luck with your camper choices.