Author Topic: Waiting for AORC Odyssey XR (to tow with Nissan X-Trail ?)  (Read 9155 times)

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Waiting for AORC Odyssey XR (to tow with Nissan X-Trail ?)
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 03:37:46 PM »
Hey Oddy, you have certainly made the right decision.... good luck with the purchase mate.

Regards

Scott

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 03:46:55 PM »
Hi Oddy and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: bubba
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »
Good idea! Now try to get your drawbar weight down as MUCH as possible as Pajeros don't like much drawbar weight due to the rear suspension design toe-ing out the tyres when loaded. There is plenty of towing info in the owner's manual and also behind the sunvisor ;)

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Havaroly

• Sleeping Bag User
  • 'next gen CT reversing system'
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »
Hi All,

Read this thread with interest. As first time CT owners, we stuck to the KISS principle as we get back into camping. The X-Trail is fine for a small Cub like we have which is a Kamparoo Weekender with a Transcon pack for light off-roading (dirt roads). its a good balance  but really wouldn't want to tow too much more. It had no problems towing up the escarpment on the Kings Highway back to Canberra from Batemans Bay. But like bobnrob, our fuel consumption went from 9l/100km to about 12l/100km when hooked up.

It will do us for a while, until we can win the lotto  :cup: and get the dream Prado ( had 'em for 8 years while overseas and missing them) and then upgrade the Cub to a full offroad version.

Cheers

Ross

Ross and family
Nissan X-Trail with Cub Weekender with transcon pack

You're off the Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your CT is waiting.
So...get on your way! - Dr Seuss ( with mods)

Offline Puffin

• Tent User
  • AORC Odyssey Export
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »
G'day Oddy,

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on becoming , soon to be, proud owners of an AORC.   My wife and I faced the transition from tent campers to CT owners because of advancing age and difficulty of setting up camp after a long days drive.   We have owned an AORC Odyssey Export for four years now and thoroughly enjoy getting out in to the bush.   The choice of which CT to chose was a difficult one with so many good CTs on the market for all tastes and budgets.   I was going to suggest getting a DO35 hitch fitted in lieu of the AT35 but I see on their site that the DO35 is now standard.   I changed to the DO35 a couple of weeks ago and they are excellent.   I'm afraid I can't provide any advice on the tow motor to chose but the advice from the members is certainly worth noting.   Again congrats and enjoy many years with your AORC.

Puffin   :cheers:

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Offline Puffin

• Tent User
  • AORC Odyssey Export
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
I meant to add this pic of us in kakadu last year

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • MySwag.org - The Off-road Camper Trailer forum
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum Oddy.

There has been quite a few Odyssey owners on myswag.org over the years, but in saying that they have only really taken off over the last 4 or 5 years compared to 15+ years for KK and Aussieswag.

I did have an Odyssey Export Signature.  Sold it after a marriage split.

But last year Jill and I borrowed a Odyssey ZR from a good mate for 5 weeks.  The front box is perfect for a Webber BabyQ.  ;D

Anyway you will love your new camper. It is worth the wait!
Cheers
Brett

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 01:01:10 PM »
G'day & Welcome Oddy.

So, a few weeks closer to your Odyssey. What about the Pajero, when do you get that? I think you've made a good decision to upgrade your tug, not that the X-Trail isn't good, but you now have more options as your vehicle is better suited to the capabilities of your flash CT. You'll never need to ask again if you can go somewhere, because you can go anywhere with that combo.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Oddy

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Odyssey XR Owner
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »
I was surprised to see several more posts have appeared here since mid-May - I hadn't checked for a few weeks, thinking that would be it until I could announce the arrival of the Odyssey (sadly, still 2 months away).  So...

To BigJules: we've been enjoying our Pajero for a few weeks now. Best vehicle we have ever owned.  We get to test it out regularly thanks to those flooding rains in Jan 11 destroying the main road into our locality.  The shortest route home from Brisbane city until they finish repairs (expected Dec - 2 years, hooray) includes 13km of winding dirt. Nothing challenging mind you, it's a 2WD doddle really, but neverthess the difference in sure footedness and power compared to the X-Trail makes every trip satisfying. Aching to get the Odyssey hitched behind it.

To Puffin and Brett: thanks for posting those pics.  One thing that I always notice in pictures of the Odyssey is how well the canvas sits: smooth and profiled well to handle runoff. Both of you show the "quick overnight" awning (no poles on the ground or pegs required unless windy) which was one of the clinches for us, and I expect that it will be used most of the time instead of the full annex.

To Havaroly: I also had always wanted a Prado but the waiting time was 3 months, and the price difference was considerable too. I'm happy now, and seeing we use a 4WD to get to our chosen destination, rather than for the "sport", I'll remain happy with how things worked out. And until I saw the Odyssey (and AussieSwag etc), all I had dreamed of getting was a Cub!  Luckily, we had the dollars, so we went for the bigger ticketed CT.

Oddy
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:22:47 PM by Oddy »

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 09:20:51 PM »
I noticed there's a few X-Trail owners here (me too but I also have a D40 Navara) anyway I encourage you to check out the X-Trail forum at http://baustralianxtrail.runboard.com/