Author Topic: Poochon Dog & Barking  (Read 3142 times)

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Poochon Dog & Barking
« on: October 05, 2019, 02:42:00 PM »
My daughter has her heart set on a Poochon (Bichon Fries x Poodle) but I am worried about it being yappy?

Any pearls of wisdom from the MySwag crew?

Looking for a companion for our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel seeing we had to send his old mate to doggy heaven.

I love Cavs but I am open to something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
Re: Poochon Dog & Barking
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 08:44:27 PM »
We have a Jack Russell, this breed can be yappy.. so right from day one she was trained to 'grumbling only'...we also have a spray bottle which she knows will spray her if she barks more than once or twice, combined with the No Bark, grumbling only command.  We accept one or two barks if there is a reason and have always backed her up, by saying "let's look"..and opening the door (screen door shut) and standing in front of her, "it's ok, I've got it"... We don't have an issue doing this with her and she doesn't bark unless there is something we need to know about.Hope this is clear enough and helps.. good luck!
Desert Lover

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 07:48:26 AM »
Our dog only barks when there's a cat in his yard. He sounds all big and mean and threatening, but anyone can attest to the fact that Mister Dog is the biggest softie and the only thing I've ever seen him hurt is a fly. He really doesn't like them. 😆

A lot of smaller breeds do bark a lot in my experience. Working and gun dog breeds also seem to bark a lot if they are not given adequate stimulus when left alone during the day - those breeds are honestly the ones I'd see the most of for behavioural consults relating to barking/other boredom issues like destruction when I was still in veterinary practice. Cavvies are probably one of the quieter smaller breeds. Sadly doesn't extend to Cockers - most Cockers I've met are big barkers. A lot of smaller poodles and poodle crosses do bark/yap. Probably not fitting for your scenario but a lot of the mastiff breeds are less likely to bark. Of course any breed categorisations are sweeping generalisations, and dogs that are typical barkers by breed may not bark, others who are "yappy breeds" may not bark at all.

Some of this DOES come down to the environment they're in, as well as their individual disposition. Is your dog bored? They usually either sleep, stress, or look for ways to entertain themselves. Barking obviously comes out of the latter two. And both can be improved by environmental enrichment - scatter feed (if you don't have birds that'll steal it), freeze food and/or toys into an ice cream tub ice block so things thaw over the course of the day giving your dog access. Hide treats for them to find. Get one of those cool little pet spy-cams so you can talk to them +/- give them treats during the day. Provide them with toys scattered throughout the yard... You can avoid the "barking at the mailman" scenario somewhat by having a solid front fence - what they can't see they usually don't think will hurt them OR can't be bothered having fun chasing. But some dogs will still react to the sounds. So not 100%. I'm not a fan of barking collars only because they don't address the underlying issue and can potentially make things worse if anxiety is part of the problem. Having a mate around definitely helps, so you've got a tick in that box already.

I'm not a small dog person... but if you like cavvies, I'd probably stick to them. They are such sweet little dogs. I've never, ever met a mean one.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 10:24:03 AM »
We have a Jack Russell, this breed can be yappy.. so right from day one she was trained to 'grumbling only'...we also have a spray bottle which she knows will spray her if she barks more than once or twice, combined with the No Bark, grumbling only command.  We accept one or two barks if there is a reason and have always backed her up, by saying "let's look"..and opening the door (screen door shut) and standing in front of her, "it's ok, I've got it"... We don't have an issue doing this with her and she doesn't bark unless there is something we need to know about.Hope this is clear enough and helps.. good luck!

Sounds a lot like our Jack. The grumbling noise is pretty funny too.
Where ours has a problem is in the car. He barks at truck, bikes (both kinds), other dogs he sees, little old ladies walking, anyone in high viz and vans over a certain size. We're slowly getting him out of the barking in the car, but he was 2yrs old when we got him as a rescue dog, so it's taking time.

Other than that he's an excellent dog and only barks when someone enters the front yard or dogs walk by. And way smarter than any other breed  >:D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 11:50:45 AM »
Our dog only barks when there's a cat in his yard. He sounds all big and mean and threatening, but anyone can attest to the fact that Mister Dog is the biggest softie and the only thing I've ever seen him hurt is a fly. He really doesn't like them. 😆

A lot of smaller breeds do bark a lot in my experience. Working and gun dog breeds also seem to bark a lot if they are not given adequate stimulus when left alone during the day - those breeds are honestly the ones I'd see the most of for behavioural consults relating to barking/other boredom issues like destruction when I was still in veterinary practice. Cavvies are probably one of the quieter smaller breeds. Sadly doesn't extend to Cockers - most Cockers I've met are big barkers. A lot of smaller poodles and poodle crosses do bark/yap. Probably not fitting for your scenario but a lot of the mastiff breeds are less likely to bark. Of course any breed categorisations are sweeping generalisations, and dogs that are typical barkers by breed may not bark, others who are "yappy breeds" may not bark at all.

Some of this DOES come down to the environment they're in, as well as their individual disposition. Is your dog bored? They usually either sleep, stress, or look for ways to entertain themselves. Barking obviously comes out of the latter two. And both can be improved by environmental enrichment - scatter feed (if you don't have birds that'll steal it), freeze food and/or toys into an ice cream tub ice block so things thaw over the course of the day giving your dog access. Hide treats for them to find. Get one of those cool little pet spy-cams so you can talk to them +/- give them treats during the day. Provide them with toys scattered throughout the yard... You can avoid the "barking at the mailman" scenario somewhat by having a solid front fence - what they can't see they usually don't think will hurt them OR can't be bothered having fun chasing. But some dogs will still react to the sounds. So not 100%. I'm not a fan of barking collars only because they don't address the underlying issue and can potentially make things worse if anxiety is part of the problem. Having a mate around definitely helps, so you've got a tick in that box already.

I'm not a small dog person... but if you like cavvies, I'd probably stick to them. They are such sweet little dogs. I've never, ever met a mean one.
Thanks Trinity. I remember meeting Mister Dog out at Gleneden Family Farm and he was a beautiful dog.  What breed is he?

I'd personally like a slightly larger dog but even though our yard is fully fenced, much of it is chain wire and only a metre or so high, so unless I want to replace/modify the fences, we need to select a breed that doesn't climb or jump.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »
I'd personally like a slightly larger dog but even though our yard is fully fenced, much of it is chain wire and only a metre or so high, so unless I want to replace/modify the fences, we need to select a breed that doesn't climb or jump.

Again that comes down to training - we've got a Collie x Kelpie that somehow we've managed to train not to:
1) Go under or through the front fence (<3' high post and 2x rails) - it does have a hot wire low down, which she has hit a few times, but even if her (beloved) soccer ball goes under it, she won't follow it, instead sits there looking at it for as long as it takes you to get it for her. We can even leave the gate open on the driveway and she won't go out. In fact, the hot wire and closed gate are more to keep the neighbour's dogs out...
2) Go over the side fences (3' ish ring fence)
3) Bark at anything that is "normal" - however, fox, some dogs and a couple of other things are fair game and encouraged

Bearing in mind her sister is able to clear a 6' fence, and frequently does, it's a mix of luck and consistent training. The not jumping of ours is funny, as she expects to be lifted over the fence to chase rabbits and magpies!

As ours is predominantly a house yard dog, she was in a kennel as a pup that was in range of the squeezy water bottle if she barked or whined out of turn. That's kept her quiet for the majority of the time, but if something is out of turn, then it's all go! The fox is the main one, but there's a few dogs around that she doesn't tolerate - to the extent she was going off when one of them was raiding the dog's food in the house opposite... their dog was doing nothing... Her kennel yard has a good view around out the yard, so she has some things to look at when we're out - I suspect she's a sleeping dog when we're out; she'd dug herself morning and afternoon holes depending on where the sun hits.

She also stays close at camp, sleeping under the car (I have had to reinforce the wiring though....) and just chilling most of the time.

Currently she is sharing her yard with 2x poddy lambs and is quite happy pottering around with them following her (although if the back door is open, she'll come in for some peace and quiet)

I think really it comes down to consistency - even though the dog will work of both of us, when she's out on a walk or a ride, we'll keep it consistent as to who is in charge (whoever has the whistle) so that she know's who to listen to. We do know she is a very tonal dog, if you vary your tone, she responds better - emphasis on some commands so she knows they're NOW commands ("here" = alongside, stay close: "come" = come to me), rather than in a minute ("this way" = follow me, or get a bit closer, not over there; used a lot when we're riding)
The following users thanked this post: peteh

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 01:44:27 PM »
If you don't train them they do what they want. Currently have a Maltese Poodle and had a Bichon Fries til 6mths ago and they are quieter than the mongrel Great Dane over the road, the mongrel labrador next door and the kelpie/cattle dog at the rear.  ;)

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 04:52:28 PM »
Again that comes down to training - we've got a Collie x Kelpie that somehow we've managed to train ... she is sharing her yard with 2x poddy lambs and is quite happy pottering around with them following her

Well, you haven't trained her very well, Ed! ::)

Collie x Kelpie is supposed to be chasing the sheep, not letting them follow her! ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 05:28:33 PM »
Well, you haven't trained her very well, Ed! ::)

Collie x Kelpie is supposed to be chasing the sheep, not letting them follow her! ;D

Quite happy she ignores them, same with cattle... Makes it much easier out Bush and locally mountain biking where there are cattle wandering!

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 08:48:16 AM »
Thanks Trinity. I remember meeting Mister Dog out at Gleneden Family Farm and he was a beautiful dog.  What breed is he?

Smaller dogs are less likely to get out (providing no holes/gaps), but some of this will come down to training and the disposition of the individual dog. Some are serial escape artists because they can be... even with good owners and training. When I had my last dog (a kelpie) I had to leave her home for long periods and fenced a part of the yard so she had a covered area and a safe run. I just used star pickets and dog fence mesh from the hardware (was renting on acreage so it had to be removable but able to contain her). I got lucky - while she was incredibly well trained she was also very athletic and could have jumped most standard fence heights with ease. Honestly? She had no desire to escape. That had nothing to do with the countless hours I put into her training. I really did just get lucky.

My boy now is too lazy to ever attempt to escape, but once again that was luck of the draw with his disposition. We also have an incredibly well fenced yard now so it’d keep most dogs in... Oh, and he’s a staffy x mastiff... we think! Staffies have a reputation for being full on and potential escape artists, but I know plenty that aren’t. Mastiffs... most I know are lazy... but big.

I guess my point is - in my professional experience - that there are a lot of factors. 99% of the time if you put the love and time and training into raising your dog to be the dog you want it to be it’ll all work out. But I still have countless stories where despite the best of intentions it didn’t. Those stories are far outweighed by the good ones, so odds are in your favour if you’re happy to put in the work.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »
Quote from: Desert lover
We have a Jack Russell, this breed can be yappy..

The ex-neighbour (typical 20 something alcho builder type) had 2...
They would bark from 5am when he put the key in the ignition - to the time he got home pissed to the eyeballs at around 9pm every ****in day... Reports to council did nothing, someone ended up putting a letter in his box informing him that if he didn't do something they would.. NFI who it was, but it could have been anyone of 10 houses round his house on corner...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 08:13:52 AM »
Our Borador (Border Collie x Labradore mix) is a big chicken so the best anti barking solution is if he starts while inside you simply throw him out with the "go check it out" command.
It is hilarious to watch him charge up the back yard all big and tough till he realizes his humans are still at the back door
I Drink & I Know Things