Author Topic: Looking for the right camper.  (Read 6413 times)

Offline frogman

• Sleeping Bag User
Looking for the right camper.
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:51:58 PM »
Hi all i have been viewing this site for quite a while looking at different campers.I'm planning a round Australia trip in two years time and wanted to get into a good camper and start sorting it out to suite our needs.I have looked at so many enough to make my head spin,but i really like the look off the Xtrail Ranger,if anyone on her has one i would love to hear your thoughts on it.Great site by the way so much good info and pics love the pics.Cheers frogman.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: Looking for the right camper.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:55:48 PM »
Welcome to MySwag Frogman, good luck witht the choice on the camper, A few members have an xtrail and will be able to comment on them. I have had a good look at one once and they looked ok.

GG

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:04:33 PM »
Welcome to myswag frogman, the xtrails are a good camper.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:14:34 PM »
Greeting my froggy friend . Welcome to Myswag mate, have a look about. Plenty of ideas of what may work for your planned  lap of the island. Where do you call home?? might be some Swaggers nearby that are only too happy to help you with your decision. :cheers: Bullfrog.
GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.

Offline frogman

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:31:20 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Hervey bay is home for me,wife couple of kids 2004 TD Prado, i have been hiring a Johnos camper which has been good but not quite what i want.

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:17:50 PM »
G/Day frogman
Welcome to myswag
 :cheers: sheeds

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 11:09:32 PM »
Hi Frogman and welcome to My Swag :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »
hi frogman and welome to myswag. hope you enjoy your visit.....lots of usefull stuff lying around this place
                :cheers: scott

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

GC19WA

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 12:26:54 AM »
Hi :) Welcome!

Offline watto11

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Watsonfamilycamping/165262510248075
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 02:26:07 AM »
Hi frogman from Gladstone here nice to meet someone in the region might catch u around oneday
Cheers watto

Offline LucyJ

• Swag User
    • A Year of Adventure
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 07:23:44 AM »
Welcome and might see you on the road in a couple of years we're starting our big trip in 2013. Good luck for the camper hunt, it can be pretty daunting but everyone here is really helpful.
Heading off on our big adventure - The Big Lap 2013
Sar Major Offroad Camper Trailer
Toyota Landcruiser 105s 2000

Blog: http://lucyjanec.tumblr.com/

Offline Petermac

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 08:11:29 AM »
Frogman,

Welcome to MySwag.  You mentioned that you've hired Johnos campers and they're not quite what you want - can you be more specific?  I recently purchased a Trackabout (I'm in love with it) and I did a bit of research on the models manufactured locally around Brisbane, but in offering you any tips is would be good to know what you want / don't want, like / dislike, etc. 

As fas as soft floor units go here in SEQ, you should definitely pencil in a trip to visit John at Trackabout, and while you're on the south side of Brisbane shoot down to Customline - their trailers aren't as good as Trackabout in my opinion, but their canvass work is great and you wouldn't go wrong with one of their units (bit cheaper than Trackabout too).  Jimboomba campers make a range of units to meet various budgets and are also locally made, with their tents made from wax converter canvass.  I have onwed a Chinese unit previously and whilst they are great value for money and good if you want something to camp out 2 or 3 times per year, I would steer you toward tents made from Aussie canvass if you are going on a big mission.  Most of the research I have done is saying that Aussie canvass is up there with the best in the world.

Good luck with your search.

Petermac.
2011 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer

Offline frogman

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 05:47:52 PM »
OK things im after is a bed that i don't have to climb over someone to get in.
1 easy fold out and pack up tent.
2 kitchen (stainless) easy access for lunch stops while traveling.
3 storage for clothing that is accessible while camper is set up.
4 good off road capabilities.
As far as electrics i haven't got o that yet.

Offline Petermac

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 08:35:52 AM »
frogman,

Dealing with each of your points in turn:

1. Easy fold out tent - the trick here is to stay with units that have the internal bows which constitute the tent frame pivoting from the central point on the bed base.  Steer clear of any tents where there are free standing bows that you need to pull off the camper and place on the floor - I've had one of these and whilst they are fine once erected they are a real pain to put up.  Anything longer than 9ft will require additional support beyond the three bows, and in the case of trackabout and customline this is achieved through an additional bow that is suspended from the top of the third bow and is erected by putting a couple of single poles underneath to support it.  That's a pretty crappy explanation - you'll need to inspect one of the units to see what I mean.  Moral of the story - steer clear of free standing bows.

2. You can get stainless kitchens from most suppliers or buy one after market if you can't get what you want.  Again, Trackabout will have you covered nicely here as will Jimboomba.

3.  Clothing storage - not sure how many clothes you want to take camping, but there are a few options.  A number of units have slide out draws that can be accessed from inside the tent, or Drfita makes a draw that is the full length of the trailer that slides out from the tailgate.  Again, lots of options here, and these will be specific to the supplier.

4. Offroad ability - Again this depends on how hard core you're going to get, but the suppliers I've mentioned all make good off-road units.  Customline from what I have seen is probably the least capable off-road, but again you would have to push it pretty hard to find it's limits and there are plenty of people on myswag that have taken customlines to some pretty remote locations.  Trackabout make well constructed trailers on full chassis with triple drawbars and large tyres and oz-hitch couplings.  If you are a serious off-roader then it would pay to do your own research here, but if you just want something capable of getting to Frazer / the cape / Kimberley then all of these trailers will get you there in comfort.

5. Bed that you don't have to climb over someone to get out of - obviously you need clear access from both sides of the bed and this would normally be achieved through an extended trailer that has a passage way at the end of the bed base.  A number of manufacturers make these units now with a step that folds down into the soft floor area so there is no ladder to climb down in the middle of the night.  As a soft floor camper owner with small kids I can really see the value in this option and if I had my time again I would seriously consider it.  Trackabout and Jimboomba have these units - not sure about Customline.

Hope this helps.

Petermac.
2011 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer

Offline xmasbaby67

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum Frogman!!!!!

I agree with the three brands Petermac has recommended.  We have a Customline and it is a extremely well made product and the tent is terrific,set is quick & I am pretty sure all options you want can be catered for with a Customline.  Go and see Ian at Customline with a list and I'm sure he will help you out.  I can't say enough about the great customer service we have received from the crew at Customline and it's all been done interstate and it's No 1  :cup:

But that said I would go to all three suggested brands and give them all a good once over and see which one suits your needs and personality as not everyone likes the same things.

Look forward to seeing what you decide and hearing about your future travels in whatever brand you decide upon.
2009 12ft CUSTOMLINE towed by 2005 VX Prado

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 04:23:40 PM »
As mentioned above the extenda type allow you to get in and out of bed without crawling over each other and some brands (Trackabout) have draws also in the walk in area which are ideal for clothes and easy to get to.

There are a few brands around Slacks creek that do the extenda types, Trackabout, Camel and Lifestyle and there is also Modcon at Capalaba that have rear fold campers which is another option where you are not climbing over each other.
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline frogman

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 12:29:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys,next trip to Brisbane i will check out the trailers mentioned and talk to the salesmen and see what they have to offer.

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »
Welcome Frogman!

OK things im after is a bed that i don't have to climb over someone to get in.
1 easy fold out and pack up tent.
2 kitchen (stainless) easy access for lunch stops while traveling.
3 storage for clothing that is accessible while camper is set up.
4 good off road capabilities.
As far as electrics i haven't got o that yet.

You want a Trackabout Safari SV Extenda, you do.  ;D

A tick in every box. We have one, and love it. We don't have the drawers in the walkway though - thankfully JT wasn't doing them when we bought our camper. I'm planning on cutting some draws back into the tub of the trailer if we go down that path:

As Petermac has pointed out, the design of the tent really impacts how quick and easy it is to set up and pack down. They can all look pretty similar, but end up taking vastly different times. We've got the 9" square-walled tent on our camper, and it's a beauty. Very very quick to set up and pack up.

We've got the stainless swing-out ktichen on our camper, and think it's great. The new models score a huge pull-out kitchen that, whilst not stainless, has masses of bench space and includes the fridge right where you need it. I'd look hard at that before discounting it, but if you really have your heart set on stainless you can always opt for the same kitchen that we have.

(Excuse the mess)

As for other brands, I can't say a bad word about Customline either. Having seen some photos of the places Teabag took his old Customline, I'm well convinced that they're built tough.

That's my sales pitch over. All the best with your hunt!

Good luck!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »
Gday Frogman
I have an Xtrail Ranger and am extremely happy with it, the tent is good quality and the trailer tows well, if you want to ask any questions send me a PM.

Trevor
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline frogman

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 08:18:08 PM »
Anyone in the wide bay area with a track about safari that would give me a look over i would appreciate.

Offline dunebuggy

• Swag User
    • Yakass Coastal Kayak Fishing
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 09:03:25 PM »
Hi frogman, fairly new here myself and also looking for a camper. I had no idea there were so many to choose from until I started looking around on the net. Makes the head spin all right. I would like a track about too but I don't want to spend that much money. If I were going to travel around the country I would certainly spend the dollars on a more up market camper but, in my case, a smaller budget is in order. Our camping trips will be mostly confined to S.E.Q. Good luck with your CT hunt.  ;D
"Life is a Journey - NOT a Guided Tour"

Offline frogman

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 07:24:33 PM »
well i don't no about enjoy, too many campers, too many features = too many headaches.