Author Topic: Fibreglass Plug  (Read 2238 times)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Fibreglass Plug
« on: June 03, 2020, 04:25:42 PM »
Does anyone have some experiencing with fibreglassing? I am making a plug to make a mould to make a product. ???
The plug is predominantly MDF but also some ceramic and I am trying to decide what to seal/paint it with. Duratec Grey Surface primer appears to be a popular choice, but at $260 for 4L when I'll only need about 0.5L, it is a bit on the exy side. Just wondering if it's worth it or not, or if you can still get a good final surface gloss with other products for cheaper.

Haven't decided if I will get someone else to do the fibreglassing or DIY it.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Fibreglass Plug
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 04:43:38 PM »
Hi,
   I used to use a tin of Fishers Floor Wax and rub that in well over whatever surface was on the plug.
Follow with 2 coats of release agent before black gell and the grp.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Fibreglass Plug
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 04:44:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNCmw89WFlU  Have a look here ..
We used to use surf board foam or timber plugs, covered in a few layers of flow coat / gelcoat then rubbed back with wet n dry down to about 1200 grade/ polished, then several good coats of wax,  then the release agent .   
An  air or water  fitting in the mould can be a help too  in releasing the finished item / two piece mould and plasticine the join line ..  Just put some shiny sticky tape over the air hole.. Its mark  will show up up on the product you want out of the mould though, a light rub with wet n dry fixes that  .
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:34:49 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "