Author Topic: Buy Australian WTH?  (Read 7219 times)

Offline Humphreythebear

• Tent User
Re: Buy Australian WTH?
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2020, 02:24:16 PM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-25/china-and-australia-trade-relations-who-really-holds-the-power/12281608

Its not all one sided - China 'Really' needs the rest of the  world to function , there are only so many 'roads to nowhere and apartment blocks 'to build
Top that off with an angry , far more well informed po[ulation and its a great time for Australia to reset and forge a new path .

Will OUR Prime Mincer , give us a Vision tomorrow at press club address or more politicking and bullShit 30 sec grabs ?

This is the moment , lets see how it pans out .
Outback Sturt , Holden SS Ute and a MTB for the Rough Stuff

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »
I checked out the Aldi orange juice that I buy and it is made from 100% Aussie fruit.  :cheers: I should try n find out about the company also, I guess?  ???

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2020, 04:06:49 PM »
I checked out the Aldi orange juice that I buy and it is made from 100% Aussie fruit.  :cheers: I should try n find out about the company also, I guess?  ???

Foo

I purchased a Aldi 600ml caramel fudge flavoured milk yesterday and it was 99% made from Australian ingredients. Was delicious as well.

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2020, 09:21:17 PM »
Try and buy Australian grown bacon. Most of the bacon sold in Australia is only 20% local product.
Of all the bacon at Coles yesterday only 2 types were more than 80% Australian ingredients. Even old brands like Dons, Primo, D'Orsogna are only 20% local product.
Only one they sold with at least 98% is      Bertocchi Brothers Gluten Free Long Rindless Hickory Smoked Bacon.
Cant get 100% because the brine's and spices aren't made in Australia.

Offline bob65

• Swag User
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2020, 09:46:04 PM »
That is amazing. Seems like you have to be careful even within the same manufacturer.

The Bertocchi Brothers Gluten Free Long Rindless Hickory Smoked Bacon being 98% Aussie product

but the

Bertocchi Brothers Gluten Free short Rindless Hickory Smoked Bacon that you listed there is less than 10% Aussie product.

It is pretty shameful really.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2020, 10:35:44 PM »
Try and buy Australian grown bacon. Most of the bacon sold in Australia is only 20% local product.
Of all the bacon at Coles yesterday only 2 types were more than 80% Australian ingredients. Even old brands like Dons, Primo, D'Orsogna are only 20% local product.
Only one they sold with at least 98% is      Bertocchi Brothers Gluten Free Long Rindless Hickory Smoked Bacon.
Cant get 100% because the brine's and spices aren't made in Australia.
what about from local butcher, or better - On Farm butchers...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2020, 09:22:14 AM »
what about from local butcher, or better - On Farm butchers...

We had a butcher that did his own ham, & it was tops :cup:

Asked him one day about bacon & he said that he's tried it before but too much time & effort involved for what he makes out of it in the end :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2020, 11:45:33 AM »
Was thinking about this yesterday after seeing the whole 'buy Australian' discussed on TV.  During the TV interview they used Dick Smith as an example where he tried producing 100% Australian made products, but went out of business because consumers eventually chose the cheaper price, over Australian made.

It got me thinking, instead of trying to go for 100% made or produced in Australia, why not promote products which contain 20% or some other percentage of Australian produce?  It seems to me that going 100% Australian isn't economically viable for most, and containing a single digit percentage doesn't cut the mustard either.  It would seem a win win for everybody if manufacturers were encouraged to increase the % of Australian produce in their products.... thereby supporting Australian jobs to some extent, whilst still selling a cost competitive product to consumers....

It seems 100% Australian is a dream too far away.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about  ???

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2020, 02:25:09 PM »
Was thinking about this yesterday after seeing the whole 'buy Australian' discussed on TV.  During the TV interview they used Dick Smith as an example where he tried producing 100% Australian made products, but went out of business because consumers eventually chose the cheaper price, over Australian made.

It got me thinking, instead of trying to go for 100% made or produced in Australia, why not promote products which contain 20% or some other percentage of Australian produce?  It seems to me that going 100% Australian isn't economically viable for most, and containing a single digit percentage doesn't cut the mustard either.  It would seem a win win for everybody if manufacturers were encouraged to increase the % of Australian produce in their products.... thereby supporting Australian jobs to some extent, whilst still selling a cost competitive product to consumers....

It seems 100% Australian is a dream too far away.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about  ???

I like the idea, but think we should aim higher for at least 75% AU products.. But Gov Co needs to stand up behind the whole thing and support it 100%

also liked dick smith cereal - but its now labelled Farmers something ... cant remember
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline timmyh80

• Swag User
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2020, 07:57:46 PM »
Thinking about butchers and small goods, if you are heading for the Vic high country and passing through Sale or Stratfrod, Shaws butchers do their own small goods and they are fantastic. Particularly the smoked chicken!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2020, 01:49:46 AM »
I see there are calls for Coles/Woolies to have "Australian made" only aisles - like other countries have for their own produce

Sounds great to me.. be a short aisle though.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2020, 03:29:22 PM »
Why all of a sudden is the majority of people pushing but Australian only brand, bring back manufacturing in Australia etc.

Australia manufacturing went off shore years ago. We, as Australians, are the reason this has happened. Now we want it all back....Honestly.

We always saw the odd push for people to buy Australian products but since the virus it's gone stupid.

So here is the challenge, take all prices off products and let people buy what they want, search out the 100% made Australian product then see how much money you will pay at the checkout. Naturally this could never happen because we shop on price, brand sometimes, but very few check the country it was produced in.

As much as we all want to buy everything Australian, the choices are few and far between....

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2020, 03:42:37 PM »
Government policy has a lot to do with why, many things have gone off shore and there is the unions, don't get me started on these aresholes. >:D

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2020, 04:00:39 PM »
Why all of a sudden is the majority of people pushing but Australian only brand, bring back manufacturing in Australia etc.

Australia manufacturing went off shore years ago. We, as Australians, are the reason this has happened. Now we want it all back....Honestly.

We always saw the odd push for people to buy Australian products but since the virus it's gone stupid.

So here is the challenge, take all prices off products and let people buy what they want, search out the 100% made Australian product then see how much money you will pay at the checkout. Naturally this could never happen because we shop on price, brand sometimes, but very few check the country it was produced in.

As much as we all want to buy everything Australian, the choices are few and far between....

Mark

Pushing it uphill mate.   Was on another forum a few days ago and one chap who works for a mob that sells driving lights and other car accessories stated that the mob he works for has one method of fixing a price.  Whatever they pay for it they multiply by 10 and the public pay that!! Sells hu dreds of sets of driving lights often and I do believe that Bunnings, supercreeps, anaconda, bcf and others have a mark up not far off.  How the hell can OZ factories compete when labour costs sweet f all in china?
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!