Author Topic: NSW Fires  (Read 95763 times)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
Re: NSW Fires
« Reply #625 on: January 03, 2020, 06:10:36 PM »
whats it made of ...and hows that made.... I'd say by eating lots of licorice LMAO
Ehehehe.
Cheers
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #626 on: January 04, 2020, 09:48:04 AM »
One for the people who think that Australian action on climate change is pointless.

Australia was the fourth largest producer of coal in 2017, according to the International Energy Agency. It also has one of the highest per capita greenhouse gas emission rates globally. The 2020 Climate Change Performance Index ranked Australia last of 57 countries for its climate policy, saying it had gone backwards under the Morrison government.

Intelligence levels also seem to be going backwards.

Anyway, I hope there's no further loss of life, but I am sure to be disappointed on that one. This is just the start of the climate change disaster; we aint seen nothing yet.
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #627 on: January 04, 2020, 10:11:21 AM »
One for the people who think that Australian action on climate change is pointless.

Australia was the fourth largest producer of coal in 2017, according to the International Energy Agency. It also has one of the highest per capita greenhouse gas emission rates globally. The 2020 Climate Change Performance Index ranked Australia last of 57 countries for its climate policy, saying it had gone backwards under the Morrison government.

Intelligence levels also seem to be going backwards.

Anyway, I hope there's no further loss of life, but I am sure to be disappointed on that one. This is just the start of the climate change disaster; we aint seen nothing yet.

Just like in the 1900's, bad bushfires are nothing new.
As for the other stuff there mate, that subject has been locked once already.....
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #628 on: January 04, 2020, 10:12:53 AM »
Just had a post from the local Team come up:
https://www.facebook.com/northerntablelandsteam/posts/2587953554591450

One Team. Many Players.

Yesterday NSW State Emergency Service Commissioner Carlene York visited the New England Fire Control Centre on day 120 of the on-going multi agency firefighting effort at the Northern Tablelands Fire Control Centre.

NSW SES Volunteers from across the State have supported this effort since the start of our bush fire emergency on the 5th September 2019. Their members have provided invaluable assistance in logistics, transport and communications; critical elements that ultimately assist firefighters in containing fires.

121 days, and we still have something around 700,000ha in the process of being controlled or under control, never mind what has already burnt.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #629 on: January 04, 2020, 12:23:14 PM »
WOW.......

Convoy of cars drive into the lake to avoid the fire
convoy-of-cars-drive-into-the-lake-to-avoid-fire  LINK FIXED

Something I hadnt thought about - what do you do if your diabetic or otherwise etc and your prescriptions are lost in teh house....????

Good on this bloke!!
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/amid-the-ruins-of-the-nsw-bushfires-this-pharmacist-is-keeping-his-doors-open
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 01:07:13 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #630 on: January 04, 2020, 02:22:50 PM »
can take the worst of a situation to bring out the best of some people
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #631 on: January 04, 2020, 05:26:15 PM »
Just saw on ABC site

"New South Wales is facing a major electricity supply crisis due to bushfires.

The state government has confirmed fire has taken out two electricity substations in the Snowy Mountains region.

The destruction has resulted in supply issues in the state.

People are being urged to switch off any unnecessary equipment including pool pumps."
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #632 on: January 04, 2020, 05:46:40 PM »
This has got farken searious Shaggers, in all States.
The blame game, the pointing of fingers has to stop, until this can be contained making it a politcal football doesn't help anyone.
Our country is hurting, not only people/communities, our farmers, but our Wildlife, waterways, yep our enviroment has taken a huge hit.
Might be time for many to reflect on how good we have it.
We can only hope that lessons will be learnt, and positive solutions and we become better prepared, even still self awareness are actioned.
Lets hope weather events like this are not going to beome norm,
A bit of self reflection goes a long way.
Take Care Swaggers.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #633 on: January 04, 2020, 06:20:45 PM »
The blame game, the pointing of fingers has to stop, until this can be contained making it a politcal football doesn't help anyone.
Our country is hurting, not only people/communities, our farmers, but our Wildlife, waterways, yep our enviroment has taken a huge hit.
We can only hope that lessons will be learnt, and positive solutions and we become better prepared, even still self awareness are actioned.
Take Care Swaggers.

well said Jon. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #634 on: January 04, 2020, 07:26:59 PM »
Take Care Swaggers.

We are most certainly reaping the results of decisions made or avoided 20, 30 or 40 years ago and all levels of government certainly have ash on their hands for it. There have been a few Royal Commissions and Coroner investigations in the past 50 years, so although the extent is unprecedented, the contributing factors have been seen before.

It appears that there is:
no clear systematic plan for hazard reduction,
restrictions on clearing,
pandering to inner city green groups,
cutting Forestry management staff,
turning worked forests into National parks but not giving them the staff to manage it and a bunch of other reasons.

A couple of years of drought and a warming climate certainly haven't made it any better.

I don't blame the Greens, I blame the parties that actually held power having policies that pandered to the likely Green voters, but not committing the budget to do the job properly.

You can't look surprised when you take a forest, lock it up, allow 30 years of leaf litter to accumulate and then you get a dry spell with a wind behind it and it burns. Who would have thought ????

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #635 on: January 04, 2020, 07:33:48 PM »
Quote from: Hairs
Agree
Take Care Swaggers.
Agree.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #636 on: January 05, 2020, 10:04:29 PM »
It appears that there is:
no clear systematic plan for hazard reduction,
restrictions on clearing,
pandering to inner city green groups,
cutting Forestry management staff,
turning worked forests into National parks but not giving them the staff to manage it and a bunch of other reasons.

A couple of years of drought and a warming climate certainly haven't made it any better.

I don't blame the Greens, I blame the parties that actually held power having policies that pandered to the likely Green voters, but not committing the budget to do the job properly.

You can't look surprised when you take a forest, lock it up, allow 30 years of leaf litter to accumulate and then you get a dry spell with a wind behind it and it burns. Who would have thought ????

There s a clear plan for hazard reduction and a lot of the time it is being met or exceeded
The only restrictions on clearing require council approval, which is usually given
Inner city green groups are white noise
Yes, some issues with NPWS cuts, and budget is a really big problem. But apparently there is no climate change crisis, so no need for funding.

One of the major problems is that the number of people available to burn is dropping - volunteer numbers are reducing, and so is the capacity for NPWS (who do the majority of burns) to keep up. And the second, and probably equal problem, is that the window of opportunity is reduced every year, thanks to climate change. To the point where it's now likely impossible to keep up with the required planning.

That said, nothing could have been done to mitigate what we're going through, and this is the new normal for the future. Thanks to climate change.

We really have nothing in the tank now. It doesn't matter where you live, it is now a good idea to keep a bag or three packed in the car, and have your old photos and documents packed in a box ready to go. All of us are at risk. Tasmania and QLD are next on the list.
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #637 on: January 05, 2020, 11:14:30 PM »
There s a clear plan for hazard reduction and a lot of the time it is being met or exceeded
The only restrictions on clearing require council approval, which is usually given
Inner city green groups are white noise
Yes, some issues with NPWS cuts, and budget is a really big problem. But apparently there is no climate change crisis, so no need for funding.

One of the major problems is that the number of people available to burn is dropping - volunteer numbers are reducing, and so is the capacity for NPWS (who do the majority of burns) to keep up. And the second, and probably equal problem, is that the window of opportunity is reduced every year, thanks to climate change. To the point where it's now likely impossible to keep up with the required planning.

That said, nothing could have been done to mitigate what we're going through, and this is the new normal for the future. Thanks to climate change.

We really have nothing in the tank now. It doesn't matter where you live, it is now a good idea to keep a bag or three packed in the car, and have your old photos and documents packed in a box ready to go. All of us are at risk. Tasmania and QLD are next on the list.

If only it was that easy.

There are many and varied reason the Hazard Reduction Burns are not being don like they once were.  Too many reason to go into here.  But I'll give you just one example.     

Was talking to my Father in law over Christmas lunch.  40 plus years ago he was in the NSW Forestry and had been for sometime.  An expert turned up one day and wanted to do some research on the way Forestry did it's burn offs.  One evening he goes out with the crew and as they usual did, at the top of the ridge started running the drip torch out along the road, then sat back and watched the small flames trickle slowly down the hill side.  After an hour or two of sitting in the night air the export was becoming bored and stated he didn't have all night to sit around and do nothing and wanted the fire lit at the bottom of the hillside.  Despite protests from the Forestry Workers and regardless of all they told him he still wanted the fire lit at the bottom of the hill. 

Against their better knowledge and combined years of experience a fire was lit at the bottom of the hill.  For those that know fire you will know what happened.   From the bottom of the hill the flames quickly became larger and larger and then fire does it's magic act of attracting fire to fire and the two fires increased to one another.  The result one very big fire then went up and crowned sending embers everywhere. 

Long story short the Forestry guys were putting out fires for the next couple of weeks and the expert disappeared stating Hazard Reduction Burns were dangerous and should not be conducted. 

Shortly after that episode a new 'boss' took over the running of the Forestry.  He very quickly demonstrated he had no idea of anything Forestry, with all trees being Blackbutt.  Then one day out in the Forest the 'Boss' was going off.  Jumping up and down shouting out louder as he jumped higher saying, "What is this?  What is this?"  The workers were looking at each other wondering what this bloke was on.  Finally it was worked out he was going off about there being a Fire Trail in the Forest.  He had no idea why there should be a Fire Trail in the Forest and wanted the Fire Trail removed so there were more Blackbutts. 

The Father in law could see what was happening so he left the Forestry to drive Goods Trains.  Talking to him he said he didn't want to really talk about it cause it makes his blood boil that 'people' like these two examples could destroy what once was a good thing. 

From all those years ago when Hazard Reduction Burns or as they were called back then Burn Offs were routinely done similarly to the old style crop rotation to now where of all the land that could have a Hazard Reduction Burn, only 1 to 2 % is actually burnt.  Think about that. 

Even if 'Climate Change' could be 'fixed', we will still have weather events like drought with heatwave and strong winds which will make catastrophic fire dangers and we will continue to have Bushfires.  With all the tools we have available to fight Bushfires only allows Fire Fighters to be able to fight a fire up to a certain energy level, when the fuel loads are such that the Bushfire is producing 10 times that amount of energy, there is no way it can be fought.  The Science of fires is that simple. 

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #638 on: January 06, 2020, 01:54:46 AM »
This sort of an eulogy.. And I am sitting here lost as to what to say and keep it from boring everyone.

I was born and bred in Batlow. My grandfather was one of the pioneers of the fruit growing industry in Batlow. I still have his hand written diarys from when he arrived in the country, (Sydney) and how he traveled to Batlow and purchased land. He documented how he and many others cleared the bush, prepared the land and how he traveled to Melbourne to purchase the first apple trees. I am also very lucky to inherit faded photos of all this time. I had a relatively great upbringing living on the farm where all the family members lived and worked. (there were three daughters and their husbands (including my mother) living in their separate homes on the property). So I grew up during the time when Batlow apples were the be all and end all to the point where they were exported to all parts of the world.

Batlow was in it's hay day, the Forestry had it's regional head office in town along with a massive workshop. The SMA had it's northern office in town. My Grand father and some of the original growers started the Batlow Packing House which expanded into the Batlow cannery (Mountain Maid).. The railway had a line up the Gilmore Valley to ship the fruit and cannery produce direct to the Sydney markets. Things were good..No,,,, better then good. The cannery not only processed local fruit, but Peas, beans, and asparagus all trucked up from around Gundagai.. The cannery developed snap freezing, (Birds Eye) which changed the whole concept of fresh vegetables. Edgels, which I think owned the asparagus, and corn farms around Gundagai eventually bought Birds Eye and developed it to what it is today.

My mind is inundated with memories. I remember my grandfather installed the first flushing toilet septic system and I remember people from town visiting just to check it out. I remember buyers from the Sydney markets arriving and taking high tea on the verandah to discuss prices for fruit. I remember that we had our own apple grader and packing shed and made our own bushell boxes and loaded them straight on the train. We had 40 acres of cherries, supposedly the largest in the southern hemisphere.. (not real sure about that one though).
I remember that every second Saturday night, everyone that was anyone traveled into town to the movies complete with blankets cause it was friggin cold, and the town electricity was supplied by a local generator operated by a man Jackie Brown. It wasn't uncommon for the power to fail so everyone switched on their torches until Jackie got the power going again..
During the war years, before my time, my grandfather was the head of the Womens Land Army, and he built a large hostel on the property to house his workers. Later as I grew up, we still had Italians who remained from being internees and POW's living in the hostel.

But, now I'm starting to ramble, so I will get to the point... The decline of Batlow.

From before I can remember, the mountain ranges around Batlow were pine plantations. First, the forestry closed it's workshop. There was no more milling.. Big enterprise built mills down at Tumut. The local timber carters were over looked in favour of big time contractors. So Batlows only part of the forestry was a road through town, down the range to Tumut. Then the cannery did some sort of amalgamation with Leetona canned goods. Leetona went belly up and so did the local cannery. Then some time later the cannery burnt down. Then the Batlow Packing House (co-op) burnt down.. The railway stopped running trains, and in fact they pulled up the tracks. But the local growers built a new Cold store/packing house and things struggled on against a growing need for cheap imported fruit.

But time also was running out for the original pioneers who were ageing and like my Grandfather who developed cancer like so many others. Probably cause in those days, the orchids were sprayed with substances like Arsenet of Lead and other niceties like DDT.

Then the big game changer.. The fruit trees had come to the end of their fruit bearing life and needed to be grubbed out and replaced. For many, the costs were not viable against the market prices of imports. So the number of orchids decreased dramatically.. The younger generation left town to find employment.. A lot of properties were sold, but some bit the bullet and replanted. Which leads me to my point.

I have been following the NSW fire map(s).. (Go to their site and click on 'fires near you'.  If the maps are correct, (and I think they are a little understated, but more about that shortly).
The map shows that the biggest farms have had the fire storm through them. Being the fire around the north of the town covering Mayday, Haroldene, and the Herrings property as well as any small ones in between. The fire that came in from the south shows that it didn't quite engulf Keenans road but that is the other area of orchids. However, I read a report that a service station with gas bottles caught fire (and blew up).. There is only 3 service stations in town, 2 are very close to the center where the pub is but the other, which I think was the local gas supply site is just at the south end of Pioneer street. If that is the case, and I hope to hell that I am wrong, then the fire has got to the south side of town called Sunnyside.

Either way, the only existence for Batlow to recover is the fruit growing industry. There are some orchids like Moats which has seemed to escape. But how many???

A couple of last things. It looks like the switching yard for T2 power satation at Cabramurra has taken a hit, and the switching yard at T3 at Talbingo would have defiantly suffered. Not too sure about the transmission lines along the Snubba Range but the tower are fairly high. Also, that video of all the dead sheep along the road is near Wondalga before your climb up the range.. Know the paddock, just up from the Wondalga bridge, not at Batlow..

I think that what has rocked me the most is that I have 3 generations buried in a historical family plot, ( there is a last plot for me, maybe soon),. It was a nice plot in a circle under a big fir tree and fir trees around the plot.
Used to travel down every so often to check things and spend some time.. Funny really, at 72 year old never been known by my name in town, always been refereed to as Charlie Buchele's grandson.
When the fire ripped through Mayday orchid, it took out the cemetery next.. All gone...

Don't know what is going to happen to my home town...... If you got this far, thanks for reading.... I'm done.       

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:01:00 AM by Brisbane Puff »
Puff
The following users thanked this post: alnjan, GeoffA, KeithB, MDS69, Hoyks, ronmac, Spada, Chappie, glenm64, plusnq

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #639 on: January 06, 2020, 06:39:09 AM »
Yes mate. It’s pretty sad what has happened. Your story is being repeated all over the country. Take care of yourself in these difficult times.

Cheers

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #640 on: January 06, 2020, 08:46:41 AM »
Brisbane Puff, thank you for your story, sadly history is being lost across Australia at an astonishing rate.
I live in suburbia untouched by the fires other than a bit of smoke but like most have been following with a great deal of sadness what is happening around the country.
Many of the fire effected areas we have travelled to or stayed at over the years, so in some small way we can relate to what we are seeing. We will revisit these areas, hopefully others will as well and economies and towns will rebuild and some normality will return to people’s lives.
It will be a long road to recovery, and I do not pretend to understand what you are all feeling and enduring but you can be assured we are all thinking of you all.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #641 on: January 06, 2020, 09:04:23 AM »
This sort of an eulogy.. And I am sitting here lost as to what to say and keep it from boring everyone.

I was born and bred in Batlow. My grandfather was one of the pioneers of the fruit growing industry in Batlow. I still have his hand written diarys from when he arrived in the country, (Sydney) and how he traveled to Batlow and purchased land. He documented how he and many others cleared the bush, prepared the land and how he traveled to Melbourne to purchase the first apple trees. I am also very lucky to inherit faded photos of all this time. I had a relatively great upbringing living on the farm where all the family members lived and worked. (there were three daughters and their husbands (including my mother) living in their separate homes on the property). So I grew up during the time when Batlow apples were the be all and end all to the point where they were exported to all parts of the world.

Batlow was in it's hay day, the Forestry had it's regional head office in town along with a massive workshop. The SMA had it's northern office in town. My Grand father and some of the original growers started the Batlow Packing House which expanded into the Batlow cannery (Mountain Maid).. The railway had a line up the Gilmore Valley to ship the fruit and cannery produce direct to the Sydney markets. Things were good..No,,,, better then good. The cannery not only processed local fruit, but Peas, beans, and asparagus all trucked up from around Gundagai.. The cannery developed snap freezing, (Birds Eye) which changed the whole concept of fresh vegetables. Edgels, which I think owned the asparagus, and corn farms around Gundagai eventually bought Birds Eye and developed it to what it is today.

My mind is inundated with memories. I remember my grandfather installed the first flushing toilet septic system and I remember people from town visiting just to check it out. I remember buyers from the Sydney markets arriving and taking high tea on the verandah to discuss prices for fruit. I remember that we had our own apple grader and packing shed and made our own bushell boxes and loaded them straight on the train. We had 40 acres of cherries, supposedly the largest in the southern hemisphere.. (not real sure about that one though).
I remember that every second Saturday night, everyone that was anyone traveled into town to the movies complete with blankets cause it was friggin cold, and the town electricity was supplied by a local generator operated by a man Jackie Brown. It wasn't uncommon for the power to fail so everyone switched on their torches until Jackie got the power going again..
During the war years, before my time, my grandfather was the head of the Womens Land Army, and he built a large hostel on the property to house his workers. Later as I grew up, we still had Italians who remained from being internees and POW's living in the hostel.

But, now I'm starting to ramble, so I will get to the point... The decline of Batlow.

From before I can remember, the mountain ranges around Batlow were pine plantations. First, the forestry closed it's workshop. There was no more milling.. Big enterprise built mills down at Tumut. The local timber carters were over looked in favour of big time contractors. So Batlows only part of the forestry was a road through town, down the range to Tumut. Then the cannery did some sort of amalgamation with Leetona canned goods. Leetona went belly up and so did the local cannery. Then some time later the cannery burnt down. Then the Batlow Packing House (co-op) burnt down.. The railway stopped running trains, and in fact they pulled up the tracks. But the local growers built a new Cold store/packing house and things struggled on against a growing need for cheap imported fruit.

But time also was running out for the original pioneers who were ageing and like my Grandfather who developed cancer like so many others. Probably cause in those days, the orchids were sprayed with substances like Arsenet of Lead and other niceties like DDT.

Then the big game changer.. The fruit trees had come to the end of their fruit bearing life and needed to be grubbed out and replaced. For many, the costs were not viable against the market prices of imports. So the number of orchids decreased dramatically.. The younger generation left town to find employment.. A lot of properties were sold, but some bit the bullet and replanted. Which leads me to my point.

I have been following the NSW fire map(s).. (Go to their site and click on 'fires near you'.  If the maps are correct, (and I think they are a little understated, but more about that shortly).
The map shows that the biggest farms have had the fire storm through them. Being the fire around the north of the town covering Mayday, Haroldene, and the Herrings property as well as any small ones in between. The fire that came in from the south shows that it didn't quite engulf Keenans road but that is the other area of orchids. However, I read a report that a service station with gas bottles caught fire (and blew up).. There is only 3 service stations in town, 2 are very close to the center where the pub is but the other, which I think was the local gas supply site is just at the south end of Pioneer street. If that is the case, and I hope to hell that I am wrong, then the fire has got to the south side of town called Sunnyside.

Either way, the only existence for Batlow to recover is the fruit growing industry. There are some orchids like Moats which has seemed to escape. But how many???

A couple of last things. It looks like the switching yard for T2 power satation at Cabramurra has taken a hit, and the switching yard at T3 at Talbingo would have defiantly suffered. Not too sure about the transmission lines along the Snubba Range but the tower are fairly high. Also, that video of all the dead sheep along the road is near Wondalga before your climb up the range.. Know the paddock, just up from the Wondalga bridge, not at Batlow..

I think that what has rocked me the most is that I have 3 generations buried in a historical family plot, ( there is a last plot for me, maybe soon),. It was a nice plot in a circle under a big fir tree and fir trees around the plot.
Used to travel down every so often to check things and spend some time.. Funny really, at 72 year old never been known by my name in town, always been refereed to as Charlie Buchele's grandson.
When the fire ripped through Mayday orchid, it took out the cemetery next.. All gone...

Don't know what is going to happen to my home town...... If you got this far, thanks for reading.... I'm done.

Mate, that was anything but boring...
I grew up in a small town of around 1000/1500... I love old school small town history, how the places became, and where they are now...

Thanks for sharing.

PS: I recommend you share your story with the media. Its a story people should hear.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #642 on: January 06, 2020, 11:23:37 AM »
Mate, that was anything but boring...
I grew up in a small town of around 1000/1500... I love old school small town history, how the places became, and where they are now...

Thanks for sharing.

PS: I recommend you share your story with the media. Its a story people should hear.

Same. I grew up in a logging town, but the saw mills closed as the forest they worked was transferred to NP and now the trains just roll past.
Its a sad sight to go to the cemetery and see more residents there than in the actual town.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #643 on: January 06, 2020, 11:49:37 AM »
Lot of memories there Brisbane Puff, thanks for sharing the History of your town.  Sad to see it go in flames. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #644 on: January 06, 2020, 12:07:17 PM »
Quote from: Hoyks
Same. I grew up in a logging town, but the saw mills closed as the forest they worked was transferred to NP and now the trains just roll past.
Its a sad sight to go to the cemetery and see more residents there than in the actual town.
Theres something awesome about that small town feel... Something I really miss.
on the flip side, sometimes not good for everyone to know everyones business ;)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #645 on: January 06, 2020, 06:36:31 PM »
To all... Thanks for the comforting comments.. I do appreciate it...

To Bird... Maybe it would be a media story, but I am very much an introvert, (PTSD does that to you). Memories seem to be flooding back, maybe it's the age thing.. Things like riding a horse to school. And yes, the school had a horse paddock. Later on my Grandfather bought an old (new then) series 1 Land Rover (when everyone was still driving around in WW2 Jeeps) and taking the kids from the neighboring farms into school through a bush track.. (The local copper, I remember his name was Sgt Bush turned a blind eye as long as we parked it down by the creek on the edge of town) . Later on, there was never a high school in town so we traveled down the mountain to Tumut in an old Diamond Reo bus. When we got to the top of the 5 mile which was the first of the steep descents , the driver wrapped a piece of 8 gauge wire around the gear stick to hold it in first gear. Yep... Lots of memories.
I'm still friendly with the people that bought our main property, the son who inherited is about my age now.. Tried to phone. Looks like all the phones are out. Doubt if they even have power..

Thanks everyone.....

Puff
The following users thanked this post: alnjan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #646 on: January 06, 2020, 06:54:40 PM »
I like the ABC report in his yellow reporting from the fire ground at a burnt out car commenting how the fire was that hot it melted the paint off the car which ran down the hill.  Looking at the footage I think he may be a bit confused with aluminium instead of paint.

Someone recorded the ABC reporter and then added his own comment.  Sorry it's on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/geoff.flack.9/videos/2605189166182866/
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #647 on: January 06, 2020, 07:03:58 PM »
Someone recorded the ABC reporter and then added his own comment.  Sorry it's on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/geoff.flack.9/videos/2605189166182866/
I like this one

https://twitter.com/i/status/1213438044256137216

Wonder if scomo will take him up on his offer of a face to face chat.. LOL
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #648 on: January 06, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »
I like this one

https://twitter.com/i/status/1213438044256137216

Wonder if scomo will take him up on his offer of a face to face chat.. LOL

this puts a different view on the Former Fire Commissioners claims.  While as fire Commissioners didn't really say much at all.   

https://factnotfiction.media/2020/01/04/data-youve-never-seen-compiled-on-our-australian-fire-services/?fbclid=IwAR2t_4PvuhLbpQtVPmztDNmnZcs79PyfSNb_YACTv5f6UMGpES5l0X9RCLI
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #649 on: January 06, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »
Love him or hate him, you’ve got to admire Warnie for putting his Baggy Green up for auction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk