Author Topic: Help with Jockey Wheels  (Read 12719 times)

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
Help with Jockey Wheels
« on: October 18, 2010, 02:39:54 PM »
Has anyone had trouble with their jockey wheels bending?  I'm on my second one at the moment and it looks like it simply can't handle the weight.  Its leaning to one side slightly.

The first one was an Alko unit which I thought was a good brand.  It seemed to have too much play in the centre pivot bolt.  This replacement one is Chinese I think, but its the same one I've seen on dozens of trailers.  This just looks like the forks are bending at the 'gooseneck'.

I know my ball weight is pretty high but surely these things should be up to the task.

My next move is to get a big caravan type jockey wheel.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Help with Jockey Wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »
I had an 'Easylift' on the Tambo and it was awesome. I always only move the van when the jockey wheel is down so as to have max strength. I planned to update the Goldstream with an Easylift however when I priced them they were $165. I bought a heavy duty Alko 10 inch for $80 at the Leisurefest so I'll see how that goes.

This is what I have now, I haven't used it yet so don't know how good it is.
http://www.mycaravanparts.com.au/products/chassis-components/jockey-wheels/alko-10-solid-tyre-jockey-wheel.aspx

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 02:55:40 PM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 03:04:08 PM »
Our Camp-o-matic camper has a Manutec swing away jockey wheel, and whilst the ball weight of the camper is on the high side, this jockey wheel never shows any sign of failing/bending.  I have had to tighten up the pivot area, however this was a simple job. Check out their web site:- Manutec
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:05:42 PM by Gunna Do »

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:17:56 PM »
I have the Alko 10' one and it has actually collapsed on us as well as now being bent after trying to manourvre it on grass.

I am now looking at an ARK one and hopefully that may do the job: http://www.arkcorp.com.au/Product-search.html?keyword=jockey+wheel

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:24:15 PM »
I have the Alko 10' one and it has actually collapsed on us as well as now being bent after trying to manourvre it on grass.

Now you tell me  :'(
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Timbo2002

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 07:06:26 AM »
I am with JohnK, we have a AS rover and the jockey wheel is chit. As it is an AL-Ko there really can be no reflection on AS. I have replaced mine once through AL-KO and replaced the centre pivot one other time. It is still a joke. The drawbar is under the  rating but is on a wicked angle, i am just waiting for it to hit the ground.

I spoke to Scott at AS, he said for me to talk to Johnos Campers. He is importing one from NZ that AS are looking at. They only have a pneumatic wheel though was Scott's comment.

As Johno's campers is only round the corner from home i went and had a chat. I must say as a fitter they look the goods, they are a swing away with only 1 locking pin (allowing closer tolerance as only 1 hole to line up). All the plate brackets are made of thicker steel allowing for less flex. They also have a bearing in the top, complete with grease nipple. I was really impressed with it, so this is what i am going after. The sales guy i was talking to is the guy that imports them. He only has pneumatic option at the moment but is now going to bring a solid wheel in. He has one with a solid wheel that he was prepaired to see to me for $195 but i cannot have till the end of the week. I can let you know what i think when it is fitted.

The brand was Christine Products (after his wife) Link:http://www.christineproducts.co.nz/CP%20Jockey%20Wheel.html

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 08:50:12 AM »
The jockey wheel on our KK is excellent and doesn't show any signs of bending etc - but then I have never tried to push the camper around on the grass either.

Don't know what brand it is, will have a look and put up some pics when I get home in a few days time.

I am with JohnK, we have a AS rover and the jockey wheel is chit.

perhaps this will be the deciding factor for MR MAC GU
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline Timbo2002

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »
Yes, this does go against the AS. But the reason I cannot have till end of week is AS are viewing it with the view to change. With a 5 month wait it may change our could request in the deal. But yes could be another deciding factor.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »
Darcy7 ,

If you're out and about near Werribee in the next few days - I have a jockey wheel I bought to replace mine and its tooooo long - Pretty sure its an 8" wheel and solid as ...

If you want it - come get it bring a six pack of St George and its yours - I can send a pic if you like ..

Cheers

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 06:28:06 PM »
Interesting post.
I've also had issues with OEM jockey wheels on our CT.
The original was a solid tiny wheel that got bogged at the verysight of gravel or sand and was impossible to omve in such environments by hand.
The first thing I did was ditch for a Blow up type with nice fat tyre. This worked extremely well for some time, until the tyre was cut by stones somewhere.
Try as I could to obtain replacement tyre (4 ply 10 inch) I had no luck, even with Alko as they were no longer using tubes in their tyre but solid wheels instead.
I could not see these solid wheels ridding on sand or gravel as easily as the blow up type, so eventually went for a TWO PLY 10 inch tyre as that was the best I could find.
I guess time will tell, whether it can deal with the demands I place upon it.

It is an issue, and I wonder how the manufacturers are going to deal with it, as I see more and more CT's coming onto the market with heavier and heavier draw bar weights.
Interesting to watch this space.

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 07:37:15 PM »
Interesting post.
I've also had issues with OEM jockey wheels on our CT.
The original was a solid tiny wheel that got bogged at the verysight of gravel or sand and was impossible to omve in such environments by hand.
The first thing I did was ditch for a Blow up type with nice fat tyre. This worked extremely well for some time, until the tyre was cut by stones somewhere.
Try as I could to obtain replacement tyre (4 ply 10 inch) I had no luck, even with Alko as they were no longer using tubes in their tyre but solid wheels instead.
I could not see these solid wheels ridding on sand or gravel as easily as the blow up type, so eventually went for a TWO PLY 10 inch tyre as that was the best I could find.
I guess time will tell, whether it can deal with the demands I place upon it.

It is an issue, and I wonder how the manufacturers are going to deal with it, as I see more and more CT's coming onto the market with heavier and heavier draw bar weights.
Interesting to watch this space.

IMHO    a Solid trye and a clamp on Jockey wheel for a offroad CT..

Problem is the solid wheels are as you said narrow and generally small which allow them to sink in soft ground...  however a blow up job can get damaged and go flat and are US as you have experienced.....    A clamp on Jockey wheel does away with stones damage and dust getting it to them making the job of adjusting dust ingested swing aways a PITA...

So for me the ideal is a big fat solid wheel on a clamp on jockey wheel for a offroad  CT...
KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

Offline BurnsOil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Use a solid type jockey wheel and have the camper trailer balanced well enough so that you can lift the front in boggy/sandy conditions.  Obviously I don't have a KK or similar, but I can lift the drawbar enough to take the load of the wheel and move the trailer on sand and grass (most of the time).
Challenge 'Outback' Off Road Deluxe Camper Trailer;
Nissan Pathfinder R51 ST TD Man, Smartbar, Spotlights, AirLift 1000, Rhino Roof Racks, Waeco CF-50, dual battery, Uniden TX3440 UHF.

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 07:21:02 AM »

The brand was Christine Products (after his wife) Link:http://www.christineproducts.co.nz/CP%20Jockey%20Wheel.html

The ARK one is still rated to a heavier load but I'd be keen to hear what your thoughts are once you have fitted it.

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Help with Jockey Wheels (Side wind variety)
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 08:25:33 AM »
Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with side-wind jockey wheels like in the picture below.  Or is there a reason one of these would be no good for on a camper trailer.

http://www.manutec.com.au/default.asp?pageid=5&template=PRODUCTCAT&catid=48&catalogue=2&prodid=JWSW-10LBHD

Our Camp-o-matic has very limited space between the handle on the jockey wheel and the front of the wedge box, and it's a bit of a finger biter when using it.  Thought one of these may be a solution to the problem.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:10:25 AM by Gunna Do »