Author Topic: what ladder  (Read 8101 times)

Offline V8100

• Soft Floor Camper User
what ladder
« on: May 30, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »
Just picked my camper up from canvas guy today and I am stocked with it but was just wondering what sort of ladder to get. Obviously need to get onto bed 1200mm but was also thinking may need it to zip awning on 3m from ground. so more of a step ladder would be best.  So what do people have.

cheers eddy
2010 Navara d22(gone)
2004 jayco swan
2003 V8 cruiser

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: what ladder
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:21:07 PM »
Bailey step ladder for me
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 09:21:25 PM »
I like the old fashioned Milk Crate myself.  Doubles as a carry all.  

Also have a small fold up "step" for the bed - available from all good department stores for around $10.  Bloody cheap chinese plastic stuff. 

Yeah, so just the milk crate.

Kit_e
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:49:21 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline rellbell

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2000 gu II + MDC XT12
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 09:47:17 PM »
Our Trackabout came with a magnificent ladder that is stored on top of the bed when we pack up. I recall seeing the same ladder a young fella had it so as he could climb in the back of his nissan ute, and he had picked it up from Trackabout Trailer at Slacks Creek.  With regards to attaching the Canvas, we were lucky the day we attached our awning, we had a dog lead that we just clipped on and pulled on an angle and that worked well, and  it was easier to attach awning  before fully extending all the arms in the camper.  From that day on we decided it was easier to just leave the awning attached, and flip it back over camper then fold it all up together.

Offline V8100

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 10:02:12 PM »
I do have a ladder that I could lean against bed base but not use as steps. I would love to leave the awning on however I  am not sure it would work with the tropical roof? I will put up some photos on my buildup thread as soon as I set it up but I am really lookinng for somethig that folds flat here I come bunnings.

eddy
2010 Navara d22(gone)
2004 jayco swan
2003 V8 cruiser

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:09:51 PM »
i ordered our customline without a ladder as i thought they were a bit pricey for what u get , so Ive been looking around and Whitworths [ boating shop] sells tubular telescopic ones which look really good

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=48365&search123=ladders&intAbsolutePage=1

Ive seen these in a DVD and they swung in under the matress when not in use .

Craig

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:28:51 PM »
I bought my ladder from Bunnings. Serves the purpose of getting up on the bed and helping me to reach up to get the awning zipped on (though I use a tent peg for extra reach). Can't remember what the brand of it is, but it is not a baileys. It folds up flat, is light weight and pretty stable. From memory it cost me about 60 dollars.

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:29:30 PM »
I do have a ladder that I could lean against bed base but not use as steps. I would love to leave the awning on however I  am not sure it would work with the tropical roof? I will put up some photos on my buildup thread as soon as I set it up but I am really lookinng for somethig that folds flat here I come bunnings.

eddy

Hi Eddy,

Our annex will easily fold over the tropical roof to pack away.  We have one either side.  Main awning is 5.2 x 2.4 and the smaller awning is 1.2 x 5.2.  Both can be left fixed to the camper when packed away.  Just means more pushing and prodding before securing it closed (our is a hard floor).  

http://aussieswag.com.au/page/tent_section.html
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline RWS

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 11:13:12 PM »
Hi Eddy,

picked this ladder up on the spare of the moment while travelling early this year, cost me around 50 bucks from memory...great for getting to the high spots on the annex...it has smooth lines for packing away and folds down to about 65mm.

Cheers

Rob.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 05:03:35 AM »
I unroll a bit like Grix066 but I use my ladder after set up to support the bed base. I turn the mattres so it sticks out in to the tent . It sits on an extra platform that clips to the side rail of the CT . Now with the bed turned its up the ladder at the end of the bed , storage areas on both sides .
Best of all you dont have to climb over anybody to got in or out .I use the same ladder as RWS though I have shortened the top hoop
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 08:47:18 AM »
I saw a nifty black plastic one at Bunnings the other day.  Seemed quite sturdy, had large steps and folded down flat.

I might be picking one up soon...! 

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline V8100

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 08:58:36 AM »
rws that looks what I need as luck would have it is raining today so plenty of time for ladder searching and camper mods. 

cheers eddy

I am also going to see if I can leave awning on and still ffffold away
2010 Navara d22(gone)
2004 jayco swan
2003 V8 cruiser

Offline Just some guy

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 08:00:27 PM »
Gidday Edspag,

I have one similar to RWS - mine is the cheap version from 'some-what-cheap auto' - about 1/2 the price and 1/10 the quality.  Although it works well, I think the one RWS has would work better - mine is heavier, doesn't fold down as flat and doesn't have as smooth bits on the bottom - where the legs rest on the canvas on the ground, and doesn't always lock properly into the open position - its quite a drama when I find that out during the night!  I use it inside for access to and from the bed, and outside for zipping on the awning etc and it is ideal for height, although I do intend on upgrading to the one RWS has for the above mentioned reasons.  I have seen that one for $60.00.

Cheers,
Please keep in mind - I'm just some guy.  I don't know nothin about nothin!

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
At least this thread is on the up & up  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline V8100

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 09:57:01 PM »
Very good speewa but one to many could chamge that and it may hit rock bottom real fast.

eddy
2010 Navara d22(gone)
2004 jayco swan
2003 V8 cruiser

Offline V8100

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
So I went to bunnings and picked up a ladder.  it was on special $34.90 we will see how it goes.

900mm tall

50mm when folded.

so it ticks all the boxes will probably put a mat under it in the camper.

eddy
2010 Navara d22(gone)
2004 jayco swan
2003 V8 cruiser

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 06:18:50 AM »
I like the xtra long top loop on the ladder might hop into Bunny's myself. ;D
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline garbage

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »
I'm looking for a ladder for my CT and was wondering if anyone has torn their vinyl floor with the ladder's legs?  Is there a need to be extra careful and put something under it when in use?

Offline Cheesoid

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »
Milk crate for sure.  I had a fold out step ladder type one but every time I went to muck around with the awning on soft ground/sand the front (pointy) legs would sink into the ground making for a comical setup.  Don't have to worry about wearing holes in the soft floor as much as a bed step either.  As kitekat says, doubles as storage when on the road too, I keep all the lighting gear in there as it's usually the first stuff to be pulled out after the esky.  I'm pretty tall and heavy so this might not apply to everyone. :cheers:   

Offline garbage

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 04:16:11 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I'm also considering not bringing a ladder actually to save on space and unnecessary weight, as I am a lanky 6'2, but I guess I'll need to see how I go setting it up a few times.  I suppose if I can stretch out the spreader bars in the main tent and attach the awning before lifting the roof to full height, then this might be do-able.  I wonder if it'll just be too heavy to lift the roof to full height with the weight of the awning attached (it's 15oz canvas as well).

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »
I'm looking for a ladder for my CT and was wondering if anyone has torn their vinyl floor with the ladder's legs?  Is there a need to be extra careful and put something under it when in use?
I have an extra piece of floor covering that fitted in my tent that the ladder sits on. I use small fold down step ladder.
You could place a small square piece of carpet under it to be sure no damage to your floor occurs.

Rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline Willow Girl

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Him, Her and the boys :)
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »
speewa, would love to see a pic of you rear fold ladder idea... pretty please!
Him, Her and the boys!
2003 Pajero

9ft Khaki Customline tent on a full off road custom trailer :-)

and a wish list a mile long.....

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 04:25:36 PM »
I’ve had a 5 step Bailey’s ladder at home for years so when I bought the CT that’s what I ended up using.  Down side is it’s a little bulky, but upside is putting up the spreader bars on the annex or trying traps/kids swings to trees in very easy.

We normally camp with friends and just about everyone in our group borrows this ladder at some stage.   

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 05:14:50 PM »
We have a walkway to access the bed but use a 900mm step ladder for CT setup and it doubles as a set of shelves in the shower.  Top step for the towel and other steps for soap, etc.  Just makes life easier!
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 06:16:37 PM »
i ordered our customline without a ladder as i thought they were a bit pricey for what u get , so Ive been looking around and Whitworths [ boating shop] sells tubular telescopic ones which look really good

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=48365&search123=ladders&intAbsolutePage=1

Ive seen these in a DVD and they swung in under the matress when not in use .

Craig

Umm, I rang Trackabout, ordered on monday a ladder, aluminium, well made, it arrived on the Wednesday and best of all $120.00 to my door delivered. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:19:31 PM by morgue »