Author Topic: Do you remember trips from when you were a child and a teenager.  (Read 10064 times)

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Do you remember trips from when you were a child and a teenager.
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 11:16:36 AM »
Had a ball going camping with the old man. Most of the time was just him and me, 1 or 2 of his mates with some other kids. We over did it one time, 4 adult blokes and 5 kids in the EH wagon towing a chockers 6x4 and chockers full length roof rack.
Rear spring gave way, but that didn't matter. Weren't to far from where we were going to camp, so kept going and left 2 blokes behind with us boys to set up, while him and another headed off to fix it.

When the whole family went together, it was parents + 6 kids. Oldies would sleep in the car, and us kids all shared the 2 man tent   ;D  Fought like cat's n dog's, but boy didn't we have a ball  :)

That reminds me of doing just that driving up the corona in the valiant!

Good thing we had a 2wd then, wouldn't want to take ax Xtrail places like that, only a real 4wd!

:cup:  PMSL
Bob and Robyn

Offline BBwilly

• Tent User
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
I remember going going to a beach with my father and sisters in a caravan that he loaned but those trips were very few but I remember it all so well my father teaching me how to fish and when he brought me my first surf rod when we lost a kite and found it again.
These are the good times I remember with my father I choose to forget all the bad.

What I do want to do is share the same fantastic experience with my son and daughter but have plenty more of them.

About 5-8 years if age.

Offline MC 9

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 11:50:05 AM »
Yeah great memories. I remember we used to go camping every easter with my extended family, about 8 adults and 15 kids (all cousins). My uncle would take a boat and we would go fisching and crabbing. The memories of camping from when i was a kid is the very reason we bought a CT now so that i can do the same with my kids (6 and 7), i hope they have the same great memories.

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 01:15:12 PM »
About 1968 Dad bought a VW Kombi because there were 5 kids in the family 9 years apart. A big jump from the Vauxhall Velox!

I recall camping at Scarness caravan park up at hervey bay in a big heavy canvas lean-to tent with no floor, we slept on ex army stretchers, dad cooked on some kind of round BBQ thing that you filled a basin underneath with sand then poured metho on it to get a flame. no idea what we ate off that thing...The massive low tides, hire boats and canoes, fishing on the jetty catching butter bream
Later we'd do camping trips, just drive down some random dirt roads, come to a creek crossing and pitch a tent for the night and live like gypsies,
This was when places like Bunya Crossing, Colleges & Youngs crossings, Mt Mee, Glasshouses, were considered out in the sticks and there was literally no-one there except a few farmers. no-one was bothered at all.
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »
Lots of happy campers! There must be something to this whole camping, being cooped up with your family thing ;D
Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »
My grandparents lived In Woorim on Bribie Island from the late '50s so it was an adventure to get the barge across from Toorbul Point to the island & then across the island on the sand/gravel mix road to visit them.
My G/Father was mates with the artist, Ian Fairweather.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 06:19:52 PM »
Most long weekends my uncle took  myself + 10 - 15 cousins down to Mandurah in the back of his dump truck he would load the 4 post car port from his house on the back of the  truck along with a load of mattresses were we would sleep and spend all weekend catching crabs and watching me uncle wipe himself off on the grog and punching on with his mate til early hours of the morning.

Another holiday i recall is going to Hyden in an EH Holden my dad borrowed off his brother in law, little did we know that the boot light was on which caused all hour camping gear and bedding to catch a light also burning the paint off the boot.
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 07:36:50 PM »
our family wasn't the biggest of campers when i was a kid...i recall a camping trip to Hervey Bay and another to Kingscliff  at caravan parks as a young kid, but the majority of our holidays were in a unit complex or apartment somewhere. we did plenty of family holidays at Rainbow Beach at Coolangatta over the years, also stayed at Hevey Bay in various places over several years aswell....can recall having roller skates strapped to my shoes with big rubber bands at Hervey Bay as a kid and fishing off of the big jetty there and swimming out to the floating trampoline anchored offshore in the ocean 8) ;D ;D by the time i was a teenager it was mostly Coolangatta we holidayed at...was a much nicer placer back then, we had many a family lunch in the beer garden at The Patch listening to musicians play  8) 8)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:38:29 PM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »
i also

remember boy scouts camp fire and singing

Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie watcha,
Ging gang goo, ging gang goo.
Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie watcha,
Ging gang goo, ging gang goo.

Hayla, oh hayla shayla, hayla shayla, shayla, oooooooh,
Hayla, oh hayla shayla, hayla shayla, shayla, oooh.
Shally wally, shally wally, shally wally, shally wally,
Oompah, oompah, oompah, oompah.

2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »
We had an old pop top van that went up and down the nsw coast whenever dad could get enough leave.   I remember van parks, and making friends in the pool, stopping by the side of the road and hearing bellbirds, fishing from boats, beaches and wharves, being sure we would freeze to death in the snowies. 

The canvas ends on the beds were just attached by occy strap stuff. Brother rolled out a couple of times. No idea how he didn't get injured landing on the gas bottle on the drawbar.  Remember setting up in the dark, and the rain, and mum and dad getting upset when things went badly.

The six weeks around Tasssie we visited every historical site that existed.  And went to speedway.

Yep.  Those memories are likely to be there when lots of others fade.  Your kids won't remember everything, but they'll remember heaps.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 09:25:04 PM »
I grew up camping around Abercrombie river, coxs river in Hartley and megalong valleys, and out around newnes and wolgan valley. Great times
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline smartyingreen

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 10:30:22 PM »
Sure do remember many trips. Earliest memory would be the usual gang from Kingscote and us would head to the western end of Kangaroo Island to Flinders Chase and we'd meet them there for weekend sessions. Think the lessons learnt back then was that the wildlife there was always friendly.

Later remember trips to Qld where a trip through the Bundaberg factory taught us all there was to know about sugar and what else could be made of it.

Probably the most memorable trip as a young teenager was Loxton to Alice Springs via all the usual stops, climbing the rock etc. B by now starting to take note of things like fuel economy and power (of lack of it) to weight ratios now we had the trailer on.

All great fun and now wanting to share similar experiences with SWMBO and the three ferals 9, 7 & 6.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Smartyingreen - HZJ105 Land Cruiser + Cameron HD Off Road Unlimited Concept Camper.

Offline Stewart

• Tent User
    • Camping with a Cocktail
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 06:29:51 AM »
Started camping when I was 10 in an ex hire two room canvas tent. Easters camping at the Mouth of the Daintree, a week on Wheeler Island near Dunk and lots of weekends at beaches around Cairns. A lot less crocs and tourists in those days. 
Prado 150 and Cub Supamatic Escape
https://www.campingwithacocktail.com/

Offline Prado120

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »
I grew up camping around Abercrombie river, coxs river in Hartley and megalong valleys, and out around newnes and wolgan valley. Great times
Its sad that the Cox's river is barely a trickle now, we used to float down it on lilos when we went up to the family farm at christmas time, fond memories!
Stu.
Prado 120, lifted, snorkel, bullbar, UHF and 2 kid's seats! Originally an 2007 MDC camper now modified beyond recognition!