Author Topic: Satellite TV fixed location  (Read 2978 times)

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
Satellite TV fixed location
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:02:59 AM »
I have searched this forum, as well as many others, and Googled a mind boggling number of ways to illegally connect to Foxtel etc, and my confusion level has now maxed out.
My enquiry relates to free to air TV reception in Roma (Qld).
The house has a satellite dish mounted, cabled to inside, but no decoder or contracts with anyone.
The landlord has stated that the satellite dish provider chose to leave the dish there, rather than rectify the mounting holes, and they also hope that future tenants may sign up with for Pay TV. (Austar?)
Is it possible (and legal) to purchase a decoder that could be connected to the cable, and would pick up free to air stations, like channel 10?
The basic stations of Imparja, 7 and ABC are fine on normal TV, but there are increasing numbers of digital stations, that are not available.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Ian

Online austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Satellite TV fixed location
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »
Hi,
  I bought one of these with a 'gold card' that was 'programmed' to receive all the free to air stations. (about $600 all up)
It was brilliant - for a while.
The satellite coding keeps changing every so often and i have to send the card off to have it re written. (about$20) I haven't bothered since the last change about a year ago.
It was very handy to time shift, i.e. we could watch WA ABC 7pm news at 10pm our time, or if we just missed a local program, could catch it on SA time or WA if it was on ABC or SBS (some times the programs would not be exactly the same)

Providers of this equipment often advertise in caravan and motor home magazines, the local library may have a selection.

If you have a 'genuine' card, you can only receive your local area broadcasts and can't time shift.

In retrospect, for us, it was probably a waste of money as we don't watch all that much TV any way.

Your dish was probably from a subscriber service such as Austar or Foxtell who would recoup the cost of the dish eventually by not having to reinstall it if you subscribed to their service.

cheers

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:22:50 AM »
I would also like to know the answer to the op's question as I'd like to cut my austar service off.

stretch7702000

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:00:42 PM »
Have a look at http://www.vansat.com.au/  This guy has done a lot of research into satellite for both Vans as well as a home setup. He is all legal and above board and gets the cards etc and programs them etc.

Richard from vansat is an easy guy to deal with. I do know him as I went to colledge with him.

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 09:57:58 AM »
The Aurora satelite service will be phased out and is now replaced by  VAST . This gives you all the free to air digital stations that people in the city get.
A few months ago I recieved a email from the mob I got my Aurora card for my camper satellite setup from telling me of this and the cost of  a card,  and new box was only about $350.

With both systems there is NO ongoing costs once you have purchased the card and box, as it is a free to air service, just its by satelite. Ive had mine for over 5 years now and no problems works everytime I go away.

When I get into work on Monday I will post the email.

Here's what I recieved in November

Update in VAST Registration
November 16th, 2010
Yes... it is really happening! - 30 Days to blast off.
 With regard to the VAST roll out timetable, the following is current:
•   VAST service is already operating in Mildura area and the Peninsula area of SA
•   The full North and South VAST service will be up and running on 15th December 2010
•   After 15th December, 2010, all  viewers in the Remote Central and Eastern TV1 service area  will be have automatic access to the new VAST service via a registration process- Forms in the box. On Line access available. click here 
•   Customer already receiving Aurora in Black spots will also be able to register on December 15th.2010
•   Travellers in the Remote Central and Eastern TV1 service area  will be able to register after December 15th 2010
We recommend for those customers who are using current existing services, generally known as Aurora  - being the current platform on the Optus C1 satellite providing ABC,SBS and commercial services, that they keep equipment operational until such time as they are satisfied that the new VAST service provides all their needs.

The existing Aurora service will still be operational for some years to come.

We had difficulty with our mail server so we are listing below the bulletin sent early October in case you did not receive it.

Thanks- Your Videosat and Campersat team
-----

New Digital Satellite Services Available to Travellers from the 15th December 2010 
Good morning  Wayne
We take the liberty to write to you as the new Viewer Access Satellite Television (VAST) is rolling out, we have been inundated with enquiries.
We have received confirmation by the VAST Administration that travellers will be able to apply for the VAST service from the 15th of December 2010.
We are finding most of our country residents and travellers with existing satellite equipment are totally unaware that they will soon be able to convert their existing Aurora Free To Air Satellite Service to the new VAST Service in 2010.
The new satellite service will carry the full suite of digital channels, including ABC HD (24 hour news channel), ABC2, ABC3, SBS TWO, GO!, 7, 7TWO , 9, 9HD, 10 and ONEHD.

If you're interested in accessing the new VAST service, you can purchase a VAST Receiver and Smart card for only $269.00. Travellers will simply, plug & play their new VAST Receiver with their existing satellite equipment.
We believe that the new VAST satellite service is a milestone in accessing city television, as all our country customers have waited 25 years for this momentous ocassion.
Travellers too, most of whom spend extended amounts of time on the road, have desperately sought alternatives for years resorting to Pay TV providers to access commercial TV. Well you no longer need to pay fees to watch commercial TV, as VAST is free to view!
So why wait? Email or Call us today to order, or simply order on line! We will call you back to confirm your order. Click on the link for further information.
Vast Receiver and Smartcard Click here
Please note: The sooner you order, the sooner you will receive your new Vast Receiver and Smartcard. Order now to avoid delays.
HDMI Cables can enhance your overall viewing experience. Make the most of all the new programming available by adding these new cables to your new Vast Receiver ! Click on the link below for more info.
HDMI Cable Click here
Do you have more than one satellite service connected at the same time?
Those of you that have Foxtel or Austar as well as FTA, (or for those wanting to keep their existing FTA receiver as well as their Vast receiver) find yourselves disconnecting one service to view another causing damage to your receiver connections & cables. Why not purchase a Switch Kit which will allow you to keep all services connected permanently enabling you to nominate which service you want to view at the press of a button. Please see the link below.
Switch Kit Click Here
If you wish to keep your existing Aurora service connected as well as the VAST system, use this power divider kit for adding the VAST receiver to your existing Aurora system. You can also use the power divider to operate 2 outlets in a building where one may be unplugged. A power divider is not appropriate for sharing a dish that has Pay TV services in operation. Please see Switch Kit for this purpose.
Power Divider click here: http://www.videosat.com.au/shopmastery.php?name=POWER%20DIVIDER%20FOR%202%20SATELLITE%20RECEIVERS%20POWER%20STEERED%202%20LEGS&code=7602-2D-KIT&page=product
click here
Email is our best contact : enquiries@campersat.com.au.

New VAST Satellite Services Available
•   TEN Available in SD on Channel 10
•   ONE HD Available in HD on Channel 1
•   ONE The SD Simulcast of ONE HD Available on Channel 12
•   NINE Available in SD on Channel 9
•   NINE HIGH DEF HD Simulcast of Channel 9 Available on Channel 90
•   GO Available in SD on Channel 99
•   SEVEN Available in SD on Channel 7
•   SEVEN HD The HD Simulcast of Channel SEVEN Available on Channel 70
•   SEVEN TWO Available in SD on Channel 72 SBS ONE Available in SD on Channel 3
•   SBS HD The HD Simulcast of SBS ONE Available on Channel 30
•   SBS TWO Offers time shifted and unique content Available in SD on Channel 23
•   ABC ONE Available in SD on Channel 21
•   ABC TWO Available in SD with both time shifted and unique content on Channel 22
•   ABC THREE Dedicated kids channel Available in SD on Channel 23
•   ABC HD 24 Hr News Channel now operating on  Channel 24
Best is to order on line as receiver supplies go as soon as we get them.
Best contact is Email enquiries@campersat.com.au
Or call our phone number (02) 9482 3100
Order now to secure your VAST receiver for a November delivery.
Happy travelling!
Wally & Jodie

Sparksy
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:40:46 PM by sparksy »