Author Topic: Jayco Bed End Flys - Not Happy  (Read 11079 times)

Offline SurfBabySurf

• Sleeping Bag User
Jayco Bed End Flys - Not Happy
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:51:18 AM »
Does anyone have trouble with their bed end flys leaking and filling with water when packed away? We have a cover, I know its not waterproof, but thought it would help, but the frigging things still fill with water after rain. I think this is a bad design fault that could be rectified by a flap covering the zip.

I am going to email the National Customer Relations Manager to bring this to his attention, but was first wondering, if others had the same problem.

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
Re: Jayco Bed End Flys - Not Happy
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:21:28 AM »
Yep, but this is the same with any awning of similar design and even a flap over the zip won't stop it, trust me. My vehicle awning has it and still fills with water. I leave the zip 3/4 open when parked up to let the water flow out, not a big issue......Even the Fiamma fills with water, unavoidable IMO....... :cheers:
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »
I found the Jayco to leak most around the corners of the body, where the bed slides in. It would drip onto the channel and work it's way down. Poor design, needs a ridge in the alloy. A few beads of silicon fixed it, but design wise... >:(

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:38:54 AM »
Yep, but this is the same with any awning of similar design and even a flap over the zip won't stop it, trust me. My vehicle awning has it and still fills with water. I leave the zip 3/4 open when parked up to let the water flow out, not a big issue......Even the Fiamma fills with water, unavoidable IMO....... :cheers:

The awning design is lacking. It is best to ensure the zip is facing south as much as possible. Two reasons, one water and two sun. Sun kills zippers pretty quickly. All three on my nugget have never taken water.

Offline SurfBabySurf

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »

Good idea. I will leave mine open too.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:02:02 PM »
Happens on mine too. The zips extend around the ends of the bags so rain can fall onto the fabric of the zipper and soak through.   The black spotty mildew may only be cosmetic but it does look ugly.
I now leave mine partly unzipped so air can flow to the inside of the bag.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline ehsc

• FIRE EARTH MOON STARS THATS LIVING
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • JUST DO IT
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »
My awning and bed flys are from kakadu canvas . Never had a problem with water or mildew while campers parked .The only complaint i have is when set up and i forget to shorten  the straps that hold the bags to body and the bloody (eyelet) things bash bash bash on the roof when windy .

:cheers:
2017 Isuxu D-max
2003 Jayco Freedom Outback

Offline Strawb

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 11:05:13 AM »
Happens on mine too. The zips extend around the ends of the bags so rain can fall onto the fabric of the zipper and soak through.   The black spotty mildew may only be cosmetic but it does look ugly.
I now leave mine partly unzipped so air can flow to the inside of the bag.
Just spent the day cleaning the mildew/dirt etc off my awning due to the same reason of water getting in. I too will be leaving mine partly uzipped  and see if it makes a difference. Good idea :cup:
While intelligent people can simplify the complex, a fool is more likely to complicate the simple.

Offline Robp69

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »
Ours have the same issue, both bed ends and the awning. Fortunately my wife checked them after we'd dried the camper out and we didn't store them wet :(

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »
Alot of the water gets in via the stiching along the top of the bags.

Even the roll out awning on our Expanda fills with water just sitting there when it rains seeps in along the stitching and run down the underside. 
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾