Author Topic: Greatwall X240 Vs GU Patrol  (Read 14982 times)

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Greatwall X240 Vs GU Patrol
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »
we were on the beach yesterday. we saw a x240 trying to get off there. using maxtrax, it was moving one metre at a time! the engine was completely gutless.

avoid. at. all. costs.
Jon

CRD TD42TI Patrol - Ultimate Xtrk TBD

Offline miketanja

• Swag User
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 02:34:07 PM »
we were on the beach yesterday. we saw a x240 trying to get off there. using maxtrax, it was moving one metre at a time! the engine was completely gutless.

avoid. at. all. costs.

Were they in the right gear, was it in 4wd, were the tyre pressures reduced, was it in low range?  The GW cars have similar power to weight to my patrol - so I dont think that is the problem.  Most issues relate to driver error/lack of ability, not the car.

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 03:49:53 PM »
You can put an experieced offroad driver in a sedan and a novice in a bells and whistles 4x4 and generally the experienced driver will still go further off the beaten track.

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I can't see anything in the Great Wall specs that indicates it has low range - that makes it a softroader not a 4x4 in my book.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 04:17:04 PM »

avoid. at. all. costs.

Probably more the fact he was using maxtrax....
Living the Dream.

Offline MONDO-100

• Tent User
  • Love it
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »
Greatwall v Patrol.
WTF????

About even i thought (ha ha) ;)
2014 D4D prado with all the fruit and 9ft full chassis camper.

Offline miketanja

• Swag User
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 10:42:19 PM »
I can't see anything in the Great Wall specs that indicates it has low range - that makes it a softroader not a 4x4 in my book.

I dont know about the wagon - but the dual cab has low range.

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 11:18:38 PM »
Agree Pipeliner, it is low range, ground clearance (and driver) which ultimately determines how far you get, and hence what is / not a 'softroader'.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 05:34:33 AM »
The twin cab Great Wall 4x4 has an electronic transfer case, my Subaru Forester has a manual one so i guess going by that and the comments above by Pipeliner this makes the Subee a hardcore 4x4? even if the reduction is only 20%.

Hardcore/softcore what a load of old cobblers, we took an EH ex rally car up the OTL using a Tirfor to get  us out of trouble in 1975, we made a pontoon out of 44's to cross the Jardine. We had previously crossed the deserts from W.A to Alice then across to Birdsville in a series IIA 4 cyl Landy running on broken axles and spinifex propping up the blown block tread tyres, we made 15 mile in 12hours on some legs. I have owned Toyota 4x4's and old Patrols and a Pinzgauer and a 1992 Holden rodeo twin cab 4x4 that easily did the Canning and a bucket load of other tracks. These cars left me no challenge per se so i went for a Forester and boy have i taken this thing some places that make you pucker up, with a common comment of how did you get that into here, reply "drove it".

No one knowes how well a great wall will go, they havent been in the country long enough or had a chance to tackle the outback often enough. I believe after a few teething problems with the 1st gen the next gen with the diesel will be even better.

Would i buy one? No! because i like the Isuzu DMax in the twin cab class and The Challenger in the sedan class and the 3 tonne towing capacity of both.

At the end of the day i like the challenge of the Forester and will for a few more yrs yet.

To each his/her own just enjoy yourself out there in whatever you can afford to be driving.
 ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:42:03 AM by tonyw »

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 08:00:55 AM »
Hardcore/softcore what a load of old cobblers, we took an EH ex rally car up the OTL using a Tirfor to get  us out of trouble in 1975, we made a pontoon out of 44's to cross the Jardine. We had previously crossed the deserts from W.A to Alice then across to Birdsville in a series IIA 4 cyl Landy running on broken axles and spinifex propping up the blown block tread tyres, we made 15 mile in 12hours on some legs. I have owned Toyota 4x4's and old Patrols and a Pinzgauer and a 1992 Holden rodeo twin cab 4x4 that easily did the Canning and a bucket load of other tracks. These cars left me no challenge per se so i went for a Forester and boy have i taken this thing some places that make you pucker up, with a common comment of how did you get that into here, reply "drove it".

A good driver, well prepared, can get just about any vehicle to anywhere (minor things like approach and rampover angles excepted, and even those can be overcome with a bit of shovel work) whilst a bad driver can get bogged in a fully equipped Land Cruiser.  However most of us are neither 'good' drivers or 'bad' drivers - just average, and we want to select a vehicle that stands a reasonable chance of getting us to where we want to go in a reasonable period of time and reasonable comfort - and 15 miles in 12 hours coupled with stuffing tyres with spinifex doesn't cut it for most of us.

I've sat at the side of the road for many hours rebuilding a front suspension with whatever was available.  Am I glad that I was able to do it and keep going?  Yes.  Would I have preferred to have a vehicle that didn't need that sort of work?  Of course! 

I think the old MkI Landie was a great vehicle and I'd still like to own one - but no way would I pick that for a trip across from Brisbane to Perth; I'd take my Jeep with comfortable seats and air conditioning!  Life these days means most of us have to know how long the trip is going to take as we have to get back to work some time, so vehicle reliability is of prime importance.

All this is rather off the Great Wall topic but it is slightly relevant - I'm sure tonyw could take a Great Wall into places where a lot of us would have problems with a Patrol, but would he select a Great Wall in the first place for that sort of driving?  I doubt it!
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 08:11:53 AM »
I reckon great walls are a good choice if you are unaware of anything else.

No seriously, buy one.

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Tent User
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 10:47:20 AM »
Would I have preferred to have a vehicle that didn't need that sort of work?  Of course! 

Can you name a vehicle that is 100% reliable 100% of the time?

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 11:26:07 AM »

No but some vehicles are 100% reliable more often than others.

Offline BradandPeta

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I have a friend's with Jayco's ... I need new ones
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 11:31:36 AM »
No but some vehicles are 100% reliable more often than others.

You must be getting old and mature that nearly makes sense, But still no xamples ?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:21:27 PM by BradandPeta »

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 03:08:19 PM »

PRADO, LANDCRUISER, RAV4, KLUGER etc etc
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 03:24:54 PM »
If i were going to select a vehicle to stay out in the bush and drive hard day in day out, cross creeks rivers and run through deserts and sand dunes towing an offroad camper? well thats easy

70 series Landcruiser Wagon  ;D

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
You must be getting old and mature that nearly makes sense, But still no xamples ?

Landrover Discovery TD5....

Offline Eski

• Tent User
  • Practising Grey Nomad
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »
Quote Can you name a vehicle that is 100% reliable 100% of the time?"

PRADO, LANDCRUISER, RAV4, KLUGER etc etc

What the???   When I did my research while looking for a 4WD with low range.

Prado, front diff is weak,
Landcruiser, front diff is weak, engine valves need lots of adjusting, found a buyers guide list the other day for the 100 series that makes a Discovery look good.
RAV4, eats autos at 150,000km
Kluger, only known car to be rolled by the stability control, has traction problems.

In the end I went with everyone I spoke to in the 4WD shops and all the web reviews.   I bought a R50 Pathfinder.  :cup:
Kym
2022 Isuzu MU-X & Cheetah X-Country

Offline meimarocu

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2011, 10:53:53 AM »
The bloke at work goes wheeling/camping with another couple and they have a Great Wall.
He says it goes most places he does with out much fuss and travels ok overall.
Would he own one nope, but  as they(the couple say) we bought a $20,000 car
and got a 20k car. Cant, wont & dont compair it to a 40or50k+ car...

Cheers Ian.

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
Saw a Great Wall twin cab following a Navara twin cab down the road today, wouldn't pick em apart from behind, save for the name badges.
If the Great Wall is similar mechanicals to older Navaras and similar, presumably they should get anywhere those get.  Similar $ to an older Navara, etc, but with new parts.
Can't see a down side in terms of 'horse for the course' - not that I'm in the market.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!