Author Topic: Garage Heating  (Read 19271 times)

Offline Gazza00

• Tent User
Re: Garage Heating
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 07:31:03 PM »
Been around for years

http://demonheater.com.au/
The following users thanked this post: shanegtr

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 07:47:19 PM »
Been around for years

http://demonheater.com.au/
These work great, used to heat a mate workshop with one, just used old sump oil

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline westvic

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 06:21:30 AM »
I have a pot belly made out of an old stainless steel Carlton United beer keg.

Light a good fire in it, and it warms up the garage/shed/workshop (approx 10 X 7) OK eventually. No fan so not very efficient.
So I found an old working pedestal fan at our local recycling centre and a bit of modification, it blows air over the pot belly (lowest speed) warm air then circulates beautifully.
[/quote

Similar to this but using my Ozpig. Flue permanently in place but Ozpig removable for camping.
Getting there if half the fun

The other half is a cold beer when you do.

Offline BBull

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 07:29:49 AM »
Yeh I agree and took all that into consideration. My shed has a seperate shed on the side of it, so Ill house the unit out there, that should keep the noise down. And they use 360ml per hour running flat out, so itll cost a couple of dollars per night to keep warm which I am ok with.

This is a good video on them......they appear to be quieter than the smaller versions......
https://youtu.be/IjDDlI_42a4
The noise is from the outlet where the air blows out. Not the noise of the burner I would be worried about. If that fan is blowing flat out they are loud.
But for $200 give it ago

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »
Yeh I agree and took all that into consideration. My shed has a seperate shed on the side of it, so Ill house the unit out there, that should keep the noise down. And they use 360ml per hour running flat out, so itll cost a couple of dollars per night to keep warm which I am ok with.

This is a good video on them......they appear to be quieter than the smaller versions......
https://youtu.be/IjDDlI_42a4

I recently swapped out a 2kw name brand heater for a 5kw ebay special in my camper and concur with all he said. It is much quieter (quieter than our 240 fan heater inside the camper!), moves a heap of air, and definitely uses less diesel per given set temperature because it doesn't work nearly as hard. The buttons on the control panel are a bit dicky but the supplied remote controller works a treat. You can also nominally set either temp or fan speed which is a bonus if you are in company and don't need it going straight to full bore which the small one did and I could not control that. I highly recommend looking at the self contained unit for the garage, they are ready to go.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 10:30:41 AM »
Those demon heaters have been around for years and are a great idea. I did look at quite a few DIY type oil burning heaters because I was looking for a way to use all our waste sump oil but in the end I was hesitant to use any heater wood/gas/oil that needs a flue up through the roof or wall and space is sort of limited.
But if this diesel heater doesnt work out ill go the demon heater for sure, they are priced well.

I have been watching the series of the Aussie bloke who tests the diesel heaters and while I can definitely see what he is talking about when he tests the larger unit I am not 100% certain he is accurate.
A couple of things that I thought were odd is that he wasn't using the ecu that came with the unit and he shut it down on the assumption that it would shut itself down when it reaches 120 deg however all the other videos I watched (including the one I posted) the person doing the testing clearly had readings of 150c or above out of the larger units for an extended period of time. And as for the fuel delivery from the pump yes using your own switch to test the delivery will give you the same amount of fuel because they use the same pump. He criticised other youtubers for testing the pump delivery in real time as the unit was running but in my simple mind surely thats how you need to find out how much fuel that particular units ecu is calling for? Doing it on a bench controlling the delivery yourself is only proving that the pumps are the same it is not showing how much fuel the proper ecu would be asking for.....(these little pumps just tick along and can tick along quite fast if they are being asked for more fuel)
And finally his suggestion that the 8kw are dearer may have been correct 4 months ago when he posted his video but they are now the same price as the 2kw and 5kw so that is also incorrect.
Im not saying he is wrong in all his findings, and in fact he may well be correct, the Chinese rubbish is like that but I just wanted to put it out there that he has some flaws in his reasoning ;)

My little 2kw unit that I have been using for years often runs flat out for several hours at a time when I am drying my tent. Quite often when camping ill turn it on flat out an hour before I go to bed to heat the camper up. One night I had it on flat out, got in bed after having a few drinks and woke up around 3 or 4am drenched in sweat because I fell asleep with the thing running full bore  ;D
I would go as far as saying they much prefer to run high and hot than they do low and slow.........there are a lot of videos out there of people who have to pull them apart the clean all the soot out because they were not running them hard enough.

Again I am not sure that all the chinese heaters are made by the same company or if we are comparing apples with apples but I just want to make sure my real world experience is also put out there.
I may well be looking for flaws in his arguement because I just bought an 8kw and I want the bloody thing to be 8kw LOL but not really, it doesnt matter too much either way 5kw or whatever, a little heater like this will only take the chill out of the air down here anyway I reckon, I doubt itll be toasty warm like a wood heater would be, but again for less than $200 its worth giving it a go. Hopefully I can report back this weekend if it arrives this week :)

Thanks for all the comments, I am definitely leaning towards the Demon Heater moving forward if this heater doesnt cut it.

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2019, 06:35:20 PM »

I would go as far as saying they much prefer to run high and hot than they do low and slow.........there are a lot of videos out there of people who have to pull them apart the clean all the soot out because they were not running them hard enough.

They will run low and slow, but recommended every 12 hrs of run time to run them flat out for 10mins before shutting down to clean the soot !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 07:59:58 AM »
They will run low and slow, but recommended every 12 hrs of run time to run them flat out for 10mins before shutting down to clean the soot !!

Know nothing about them, but wouldn't the easiest way of doing that, be to run them flat-out for 10 mins each time you start it, which would also help warm things up quicker ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 01:46:35 PM »
I would imagine that would be how you break it.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 02:13:04 PM »
Know nothing about them, but wouldn't the easiest way of doing that, be to run them flat-out for 10 mins each time you start it, which would also help warm things up quicker ???
Running on idle all night soots up the glow pin. The idea is to run them flat out prior to shutting down so the glow pin works next time it is cold. Flat out from start is nice but doesn’t really help the scenario.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2019, 04:24:15 PM »
I would imagine that would be how you break it.
Why would running a diesel heater flat out break it?
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2019, 05:30:00 PM »

There is 13 parts to a series on these heaters on u tube.....all done by an aussie bloke....well worth watching and all questions regarding these things is answered !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2019, 09:36:07 PM »
Hi,
    Yep, a good series. Does he sell stuff on ebay? He seems to have done too much research to just make informative videos.
He has not enabled any chat/contact on his channel that I can find.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2019, 10:22:29 PM »
Hi,
    Yep, a good series. Does he sell stuff on ebay? He seems to have done too much research to just make informative videos.
He has not enabled any chat/contact on his channel that I can find.
Cheers

I don't know....I just watched the series. I get the impression he is retired and bought a $1000 worth of heaters and went to town ??  Somewhere in all his talking I think he mentioned why ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2019, 07:23:12 AM »
we run our Webasto diesel heater flat out all the time for 10 hours straight and have done so the past 8 years of owning it, hasn’t hurt it yet
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2019, 09:55:18 AM »
we run our Webasto diesel heater flat out all the time for 10 hours straight and have done so the past 8 years of owning it, hasn’t hurt it yet

Yeh Im at a loss as to why he would say they shut down if you run them flat out too. Ive had mine for years as well and it regularly runs flat out for hours on end. You would think the little ecu doesnt allow you to put that much fuel in that it runs itself too hot.
I think it happens to him because he uses the wrong ecu's to test them in some instances.
I know it has a temp sensor for this exact thing but thats only for the people that sit something near the outlet and block the heat coming out.......it prevents fires ;)

I agree the gents youtube series is good for information but I would suggest you watch other 'youtubers' who have done the same thing to get their 'opinion' as well, because really thats all they are giving us is their opinion based on the findings of how they have done the testing. Some do the testing a little more logical than others ;)

The poor Aussie bloke in one video showed how he bought what he thought was an all in one heater unit for the bargain price of $112 (or something cheap like that) to only find out when it was delivered that he didnt read the misleading description properly and what he received was just the case and accessories the heater comes in. LOL But he still went and invested the the $200 or so dollars to buy the complete unit so he put it together and showed how it works!
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2019, 11:01:00 AM »
I agree, there are plenty of sensors and failsafes on them. My little 2 kw loved taking off on auto and running hard. That was the only way they worked up until the chinese manufacturers got in on the act and hacked the operating parameters to allow arbitrary setting of fan speeds and the downstream 'sooting' issues occurred. My little one automatically ran hard prior to shutdown and never had an issue with soot.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2019, 11:59:28 AM »
Hi,
    My Eberspacher is about 8 years old and was quite expensive as the time.
I like the idea with the new ones of being able to dial in the pulse rate on the pump.
As ours is auto, it tries to balance the warmth to the dialed in setting,  so if the door is opened on a cold night the heater goes full speed to keep the warmth at the setting on the dial.
My installation is not as he recommends,  with no filters, a dip in the exhaust pipe with no condensation trap, large bore rubber pressure feed from the pump and the non straight through muffler. This I will change at some stage.
One idea I had was a custom tank with a dip tube outlet, a sealed cap and an extended breather. With this I can blow in the breather to raise the fuel to the end of the pipe before connecting it to the pump.  It only takes one failed start before the system is fully primed.
I definitely would not have a camper without a heater built in, so much more comfortable.
Cheers

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2019, 01:05:44 PM »
I picked up the '8kw' heater earlier and set it up on the bench to make sure it works.

Ive installed 3 of these (2kw) Chinese heaters to campers and they are all the same so getting it fired up was an easy process.

Initial thoughts are that it is considerably larger in physical size to my 2kw and when it runs it is a jet compared to the smaller version. It is obvious that is throws out a lot more heat.
The kit came with everything from plastic fuel tank to all the bracketry and connections and these days they even have a fancy ecu with pretty pictures on them to show you what is happening with the heater.

It was 10 deg inside my cave when i fired it up and 30 mins later it was 12 degree's with it running at half its offered speed. I just cranked it up flat out, so ill leave it for an hour (then I have to leave) and see what happens with the temp inside the shed.

The shed is 12m x 8m but 2m is segmented off with a framed gyprock wall. That section is not sealed at all so Ill eventually put some draft stops on the door. The main shed is sealed pretty well although one of the roller doors needs a new bottom seal which Ill install this weekend and I am going to use some more spray foam to seal the sheeting at the bottom of the slab. So there is potential so far.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2019, 01:54:57 PM »
I picked up the '8kw' heater earlier and set it up on the bench to make sure it works.

Ive installed 3 of these (2kw) Chinese heaters to campers and they are all the same so getting it fired up was an easy process.

Initial thoughts are that it is considerably larger in physical size to my 2kw and when it runs it is a jet compared to the smaller version. It is obvious that is throws out a lot more heat.
The kit came with everything from plastic fuel tank to all the bracketry and connections and these days they even have a fancy ecu with pretty pictures on them to show you what is happening with the heater.

It was 10 deg inside my cave when i fired it up and 30 mins later it was 12 degree's with it running at half its offered speed. I just cranked it up flat out, so ill leave it for an hour (then I have to leave) and see what happens with the temp inside the shed.

The shed is 12m x 8m but 2m is segmented off with a framed gyprock wall. That section is not sealed at all so Ill eventually put some draft stops on the door. The main shed is sealed pretty well although one of the roller doors needs a new bottom seal which Ill install this weekend and I am going to use some more spray foam to seal the sheeting at the bottom of the slab. So there is potential so far.

I hope it catches on fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2019, 02:04:38 PM »
I hope it catches on fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL 5 degree gain in about an hour...have to run. Ill do proper testing on the weekend.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2019, 03:28:16 AM »
Running it from start at Flat stick doesn't give anything a chance to warm up evenly throughout the unit.
It'll create an excessively hot area surrounded by cool area and cause cracking in the metal of the unit.
I know it won't stay cool for long, and it won't fail immediately. 
But you won't be getting a long useful life out of it.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2019, 08:35:59 AM »
Running it from start at Flat stick doesn't give anything a chance to warm up evenly throughout the unit.
It'll create an excessively hot area surrounded by cool area and cause cracking in the metal of the unit.
I know it won't stay cool for long, and it won't fail immediately. 
But you won't be getting a long useful life out of it.
There is no way known that the heat exchanger would get really hot on the inside yet stay cold enough on the outside to cause cracking. Heat travels through the metal they use very quickly, and the differential between the 'hot' and 'cool' sides would be bugger all.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2019, 08:43:06 AM »
Both my heaters sort of ramp up at start up rather than just start blasting flat out from the very start when I have them set on high so that should be enough to allow some heat sink I would have thought.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build
The following users thanked this post: Cruiser 105Tvan

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2019, 02:00:12 PM »
On the subject of heaters, just had this come through this morning

https://www.awardrv.com.au/gasmate-propane-ducted-camping-heater

May be an easier way of doing things than hard-mounting one in your van or whatever ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday