Author Topic: NSW Fires  (Read 96221 times)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: NSW Fires
« Reply #525 on: December 27, 2019, 01:14:02 PM »
I agree, climate change will have bugger all effect on bushfires on its own.

One of the reasons Australia should do something about emissions/climate change/workplace regulation is it shows the less developed countries which direction to go in the future. Sort of like how features that were in Mercedes Benz 20 years ago are now becoming standard on cheap cars. Mercedes didnt save many lives installing ABS on its cars in the 80s, but how many lives have been saved in main stream cars due to ABS since?

Someone has to lead the way, whether we can financially sustain it is above my pay grade...
Finally someone gets it. :cheers:

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #526 on: December 27, 2019, 03:34:42 PM »

I agree, climate change will have bugger all effect on bushfires on its own.

One of the reasons Australia should do something about emissions/climate change/workplace regulation is it shows the less developed countries which direction to go in the future. Sort of like how features that were in Mercedes Benz 20 years ago are now becoming standard on cheap cars. Mercedes didnt save many lives installing ABS on its cars in the 80s, but how many lives have been saved in main stream cars due to ABS since?

Someone has to lead the way, whether we can financially sustain it is above my pay grade...

X2
Another reason to get in early on the renewable technology charge is economics.
We all know we cant just turn off our old generation systems. But there is a change coming. Through history theres been narrow windows of major technology changes. Those countries that embraced, developed and lead the way in introducing the technologies set their economies up for strong futures. Sadly instead of making things, we are becoming a country of baristas and wedding planners.
European countries with high labour costs are still leading the charge in both manufacturing and developing technologies. Unfortunately we dont seem to have the leadership or courage to be able to. Something is seriously broken here.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #527 on: December 27, 2019, 03:41:04 PM »

Unfortunately we dont seem to have the leadership or courage to be able to. Something is seriously broken here.

I would suggest that we don't run our own show these days.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #528 on: December 27, 2019, 05:01:18 PM »
Quote from: glenm64
We all know we cant just turn off our old generation systems. But there is a change coming.
But there are millions of brain dead people think its that easy.. Flick th switch and the climate will change overnight - watching too much Disney..

**** the fact some people need electricity to stay alive or dialysis or keep their food, etc...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #529 on: December 27, 2019, 05:08:09 PM »

But there are millions of brain dead people watching too much Disney
Sorry to edit your post, but I thought this was more appropriate.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #530 on: December 27, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »
And I don't think we are thought about by other countries that much. We are very small. Nothing we do would have much of a impact. There are counters that are just wishing we would cut our coal exports so they can sell their coal, mined with no thought to the environment. Travel the world and you really understand how we stand in the world. Lead by example. Sounds good but not so sure. Even the kiwi's did not follow our lead with gun laws. Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #531 on: December 27, 2019, 05:30:32 PM »
Quote from: krisandkev
We are very small. Nothing we do would have much of a impact.
We again have a winner.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #532 on: December 27, 2019, 06:01:03 PM »
And I don't think we are thought about by other countries that much........

Yep. As a nation, we have an over-inflated view of our global importance.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #533 on: December 27, 2019, 06:18:05 PM »
Yep. As a nation, we have an over-inflated view of our global importance.....
You are so right mate.
We are 26M in population, but some believe we are in the same league as the Big Boys.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #534 on: December 27, 2019, 06:46:43 PM »
Interesting when I was working at Hardly Normal, many years ago, talking to the reps of companies about how significant the Australain market was to them :

Sony brand back in late 90's the Australain market in comparison to the rest of the world was  . 01 %

The huge LG factories back then, could make in 2 days, all the white goods Australia bought in a year.

Other manufacturers would use Australia as a dumping ground for old technology.

Back then we had a population of around 19 million.

Naturally things have changed,  our population has grown,  but I dont think that much to warrant us as a country of much significance in buying power.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #535 on: December 27, 2019, 07:50:26 PM »
But there are millions of brain dead people think its that easy.. Flick th switch and the climate will change overnight - watching too much Disney..

**** the fact some people need electricity to stay alive or dialysis or keep their food, etc...

I am more intrigued to know just what kind of Climate our 'fixed' Climate will be. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #536 on: December 27, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »

We all know we cant just turn off our old generation systems. But there is a change coming.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Yes there is...but it can't happen overnight. But we keep shutting down coal fired power stations with no replacement for them...so in the short term, we have a problem.
With no way to store power ( hydro is miniscule and batteries are not worth talking about ), and a big reduction in quick response base load power ( coal and gas ) we are headed for blackouts in the next few years, even if there is big scale production of solar or wind farms.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #537 on: December 27, 2019, 09:02:19 PM »
You are so right mate.
We are 26M in population, but some believe we are in the same league as the Big Boys.
If I may channel my inner Allan Jones for a moment and throw some numbers out there to be considered (I promise I want be getting out my grains of rice to prove my point though);

Our (under) 26M population today equates to 0.33% of the total world population.
In 2016 we produced 1,712 million tonnes of emissions.
Or 3.6% of the total global emissions of that year.

If you only look at emissions from burning fossil fuels in that year; then our little 0.33% of the global population was responsible for producing 4.8% of the global total fossil fuel emissions.

Yes our population is relatively small, but we are responsible for exporting so much pollution for the rest of the to pump into the atmosphere on our behalf.

The above numbers don’t include our “recycling” goods that currently get shipped over the Thailand and Indonesia to be piled up and burnt on our behalf....

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #538 on: December 27, 2019, 09:35:18 PM »
After being able to catch up with the nephew for a couple of hours on Christmas day before he went back to fight fires, The sentiment amongst the locals was pretty much along these lines .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVZ13HKlMOs .. 2:30 mark ..   Theyre not happy at having their hands tied by people hundreds of K's away .
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:40:40 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #539 on: December 27, 2019, 09:40:38 PM »
After being able to catch up with the nephew for a couple of hours on Christmas day before he went back to fight fires, The sentiment amongst the locals was pretty much along these lines .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVZ13HKlMOs .. Theyre not happy at having their hands tied by people hundreds of K's away .

If the current way of not being allowed to do things under the banner of RFS, I can see it will be like the second bloke they interviewed, it will go back to pre RFS days were neighbours just got together and did their thing and went about doing their business as they know it needs to be done.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #540 on: December 27, 2019, 09:41:46 PM »
The second bloke sums up the feelings pretty well ..

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #541 on: December 27, 2019, 09:49:02 PM »
The second bloke sums up the feelings pretty well ..

Agreed. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #542 on: December 27, 2019, 10:39:56 PM »

If you only look at emissions from burning fossil fuels in that year; then our little 0.33% of the global population was responsible for producing 4.8% of the global total fossil fuel emissions.

Yes our population is relatively small, but we are responsible for exporting so much pollution for the rest of the to pump into the atmosphere on our behalf.

These numbers you quote....are you saying our power stations emit 4.8% of global emissions ?? Or are you saying what we produce and export are burnt by other countries and that is somehow our figure ??

What some people ignore is the fact that our coal is some of the best in the world, and if we didn't export it, then other countries would, and the emissions would be a lot worse...so even though some greenies don't like the idea of us exporting our "clean" coal, until OTHER countries stop burning coal, we believe it or not , are actually keeping emissions at a lower level than if we stopped exporting.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #543 on: December 27, 2019, 11:20:19 PM »
Quote from: alnjan
I am more intrigued to know just what kind of Climate our 'fixed' Climate will be.

****ed if I know... I don't think there's anything we can do to change it... the planet will do what it needs to keep going, although I do believe the planet is far to over populated to be healthy... so many countries wiping out rain forests, and the amazon burning doesnt help
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #544 on: December 28, 2019, 06:09:40 AM »
****ed if I know... I don't think there's anything we can do to change it... the planet will do what it needs to keep going, although I do believe the planet is far to over populated to be healthy... so many countries wiping out rain forests, and the amazon burning doesnt help

Like I heard many years ago. It has nothing to do with saving the planet. It is about us. The planet would love to get rid of us. The planet would recover. Kevin
Kris and Kev

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #545 on: December 28, 2019, 08:13:21 AM »
Considering it was only a few years ago CO2 was at a very dangerously low level with a very real threat to just about all living things on Earth and the recent very minor rise in CO2, compared to historic levels of CO2.  The reactions by some people to that minor rise really has me concerned just what CO2 level they want and from there just what impact on the planet they want.  Climate is Climate but we will always have weather, whether that be drought, heat wave floods or whatever. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan
The following users thanked this post: Davepatrol

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #546 on: December 28, 2019, 08:14:54 AM »
Just as George Carlin said all those years ago, Kev ..   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c   .............     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnl_BnrUxjU        I identify tooo much with George Carlins views                              .. ;D :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 08:29:13 AM by edz »

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #547 on: December 28, 2019, 08:48:32 AM »
Just as George Carlin said all those years ago, Kev ..   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c   .............     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnl_BnrUxjU        I identify tooo much with George Carlins views                              .. ;D :cheers:

There you go. I think he is spot on. Thanks for the link. Kevin
Kris and Kev

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #548 on: December 28, 2019, 09:24:15 AM »
Here is another good video of the subject !! Don't know why the link is so long, but it works..

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FnkoRm9A7xr8%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2fV00LMm6acsFvm-5K1A_A1ktRl_iErADAvkwhO0TfIWdHPYBhCfxYHC0&h=AT2j1RQgemOggF0tCUzq5eL9NQ1WTmdKg8yGmFr82bgpoh6vKtklbby5X24VVKu8oq9pvkU8cTieCejIu0E_q-jMOzx_sGlTZ55aH6QqQFmZkeihOEPNq7AoVmGo0qulcHlS28gqn-OFoXYdW-hElnQUQ7eRSwXhHlc21NFhx6340VaF9JNyeBrWm5XvMhVd5VBR9nVjYULMx5wZij9czPN-c59uUDPAu1oXy25N5yePTEK6XBs61_zZU3o1S73_w4_rnf1EBzfIpfIMkABqidQVD3xjOv7sTUtCCMQPzMbLuJ5K0YShYTEX4t5vVlRyfhrVdSNVXRz_iUUbZGiIUyRbTWYJuarkbkHfYs0DGM-T2RvmsR17AGPit5OEnrTmP2HvbGbs9gWFby8MqF2cgeH4_cZ0DONcCvEdaOYGYphX9zi177ePd9BOPyBJFR1fc8y72Wn1y9uZ97DiEPDaKQ9Oi94bAuM3IiusOg5jQXq12OOxpU849OtZZ9NB1wkGTEBg-X4KPS-FXj8UhYZ1xWOsIS8Qz4_pdPpbrAcmKRJEhSSWQn1mfbbFC5IR9QS_7VZ5i-5sTyBzyNH1GXVQKApIjyi2ieMclGpf4jTqNI1f38NMZuz3M_W1CmQGgfeNNKzFEYIphIkw7aJaAx7_MoIYl59Sdkq1zKKtz-S0pg
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 09:26:52 AM by gronk »
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #549 on: December 28, 2019, 09:55:50 AM »
Here is another good video of the subject !! Don't know why the link is so long, but it works..

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FnkoRm9A7xr8%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2fV00LMm6acsFvm-5K1A_A1ktRl_iErADAvkwhO0TfIWdHPYBhCfxYHC0&h=AT2j1RQgemOggF0tCUzq5eL9NQ1WTmdKg8yGmFr82bgpoh6vKtklbby5X24VVKu8oq9pvkU8cTieCejIu0E_q-jMOzx_sGlTZ55aH6QqQFmZkeihOEPNq7AoVmGo0qulcHlS28gqn-OFoXYdW-hElnQUQ7eRSwXhHlc21NFhx6340VaF9JNyeBrWm5XvMhVd5VBR9nVjYULMx5wZij9czPN-c59uUDPAu1oXy25N5yePTEK6XBs61_zZU3o1S73_w4_rnf1EBzfIpfIMkABqidQVD3xjOv7sTUtCCMQPzMbLuJ5K0YShYTEX4t5vVlRyfhrVdSNVXRz_iUUbZGiIUyRbTWYJuarkbkHfYs0DGM-T2RvmsR17AGPit5OEnrTmP2HvbGbs9gWFby8MqF2cgeH4_cZ0DONcCvEdaOYGYphX9zi177ePd9BOPyBJFR1fc8y72Wn1y9uZ97DiEPDaKQ9Oi94bAuM3IiusOg5jQXq12OOxpU849OtZZ9NB1wkGTEBg-X4KPS-FXj8UhYZ1xWOsIS8Qz4_pdPpbrAcmKRJEhSSWQn1mfbbFC5IR9QS_7VZ5i-5sTyBzyNH1GXVQKApIjyi2ieMclGpf4jTqNI1f38NMZuz3M_W1CmQGgfeNNKzFEYIphIkw7aJaAx7_MoIYl59Sdkq1zKKtz-S0pg

In attempts to discredit the video, the Climate Alarmists are simply writing it off as it is allegedly funded by the big bad coal/gas companies and therefore it is full of lies. Really makes no difference to something funded by parties representing the renewable energies or funded via UN/IPCC. 

But yes if we do not look at the past and recognise the historical facts it is very easy to make up a new history to support a new theory.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan