Author Topic: NSW Fires  (Read 96373 times)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
Re: NSW Fires
« Reply #425 on: December 19, 2019, 04:13:18 PM »
9 news,
40 homes lost today.
Sheeeesh.
:(
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #426 on: December 19, 2019, 05:11:27 PM »
Why do reporters have to scream/shout about reporting these fires now around Sydney?
The rest of the East coast has been burning for nearly 5 months, but now it is closer to Sydney it is an emergency.
Oh I forgot, they have smoke haze as well.

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #427 on: December 19, 2019, 05:56:03 PM »
[quote author=krisandkev
Take the most nationally pushed news item, poor Sydney having smoke! Like we all must be living there, no we don't. Like do other places have bad smoke - yes we do!
[/quote]
Just took this photo out the front at home. Not a reporter in sight, ahh that’s right, we don’t live in Sydney

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #428 on: December 19, 2019, 06:06:40 PM »
[quote author=krisandkev
Take the most nationally pushed news item, poor Sydney having smoke! Like we all must be living there, no we don't. Like do other places have bad smoke - yes we do!

Just took this photo out the front at home. Not a reporter in sight, ahh that’s right, we don’t live in Sydney

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fark the media,
Seariously they get it wrong more times than right.
10, The Project, just said there are over 100 fires impacting Sydney, WTF.
Fires Near Me does not show this.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #429 on: December 19, 2019, 06:21:06 PM »
Fark the media,
Seariously they get it wrong more times than right.
10, The Project, just said there are over 100 fires impacting Sydney, WTF.
Fires Near Me does not show this.

that would be 100 fires in NSW so they are impacting Sydney as Sydney is NSW
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
NSW Fires
« Reply #430 on: December 19, 2019, 06:33:46 PM »
I also read history on fires in Tasmania. Very interesting and on the west coast you can still see huge areas where the fires have been. But I suppose this time it is the gov fault, as some have been saying.  Kevin
Interesting you mention Tasmania fires.
Was reading this just the other day; https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/15/tasmanias-flowering-giants-we-will-never-see-such-trees-again

“Adventure photographer Steve Pearce recently photographed the collapsed giant. Before its fall, it was a contender for the world’s biggest flowering tree by volume at 360 cubic metres, which is roughly the equivalent volume of three Boeing 737-300s. “This tree was 87 metres tall. It had a circumference of 17.2 metres. Now it is just a crumpled mess,” said Pearce.”
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 06:35:35 PM by Pete79 »

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #431 on: December 19, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »
Why do reporters have to scream/shout about reporting these fires now around Sydney?
The rest of the East coast has been burning for nearly 5 months, but now it is closer to Sydney it is an emergency.
Oh I forgot, they have smoke haze as well.

Hairs. I not sure what your problem is , it’s not a p#ssing contest. The fires that are burning now near Sydney are some 80 to plus 100km from Sydney. You may think they are a stroll up the road from down town Parramatta but they are not. These are rural and semi rural villages.
The community I lived in for 30 years in the north west of Sydney on the northern side of the BlueMountains is  one off these communities.
It is a district renowned for their mountain apple orchards, stone fruit For others it is a place that they can grow fresh flowers. And area that thrives because of its black volcanic soil.
The fires are an emergency, they are burning in both remote ravines , wild country but also around the villages that live on the edge of this landscape. Not all people live on the properties but live in the villages where the school is the pub is the fire shed, a bit like where you live.
Tell my mate Sam  that the fire is not an emergency, he has a productive orchard at which he lost his cool room, his packing shed, another building where he produces one of the best apple pies in Australia. In his cool room was 6 months worth of apples, his orchard has also been damaged.

To the south west of Sydney there is another fire some 100 km from Sydney and again a rural area that also has a village area. I believe houses have been lost here this afternoon.
 The people of these areas can’t help that the media are out in force doing their job.
What is real is if the fires are not contain then the fires will run to the edges of Sydney where a  thousands of people live, people with little kids, elderly people. This is why it is a story.

Like the rfs in your area my mates have been out fighting other fires for ever, they are tied but now the fires are in their community and so they are still going harder than ever but also ever thankful for the support that is coming from other brigades include those fro finge bush land suburbs of Sydney.

Maybe I should have posted this in the rant, it just annoys the sh# t out of me that you can look upon these unfortunate people with a lessor care than those that live further from the largest metropolis in Australia.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #432 on: December 19, 2019, 08:20:41 PM »
Hairs. I not sure what your problem is , it’s not a p#ssing contest. The fires that are burning now near Sydney are some 80 to plus 100km from Sydney. You may think they are a stroll up the road from down town Parramatta but they are not. These are rural and semi rural villages.
The community I lived in for 30 years in the north west of Sydney on the northern side of the BlueMountains is  one off these communities.
It is a district renowned for their mountain apple orchards, stone fruit For others it is a place that they can grow fresh flowers. And area that thrives because of its black volcanic soil.
The fires are an emergency, they are burning in both remote ravines , wild country but also around the villages that live on the edge of this landscape. Not all people live on the properties but live in the villages where the school is the pub is the fire shed, a bit like where you live.
Tell my mate Sam  that the fire is not an emergency, he has a productive orchard at which he lost his cool room, his packing shed, another building where he produces one of the best apple pies in Australia. In his cool room was 6 months worth of apples, his orchard has also been damaged.

To the south west of Sydney there is another fire some 100 km from Sydney and again a rural area that also has a village area. I believe houses have been lost here this afternoon.
 The people of these areas can’t help that the media are out in force doing their job.
What is real is if the fires are not contain then the fires will run to the edges of Sydney where a  thousands of people live, people with little kids, elderly people. This is why it is a story.

Like the rfs in your area my mates have been out fighting other fires for ever, they are tied but now the fires are in their community and so they are still going harder than ever but also ever thankful for the support that is coming from other brigades include those fro finge bush land suburbs of Sydney.

Maybe I should have posted this in the rant, it just annoys the sh# t out of me that you can look upon these unfortunate people with a lessor care than those that live further from the largest metropolis in Australia.
Hes more complaining about the way they report... they way they make it sound - you'd believe 50ft flames are raging down George St heading for the Rocks.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #433 on: December 19, 2019, 08:36:35 PM »
Hes more complaining about the way they report... they way they make it sound - you'd believe 50ft flames are raging down George St heading for the Rocks.

Bird I can read into Hairs post, he is implying because the media are reporting on the fires that it is an emergency, when in fact it’s just some scrub fire over the back of a paling fence.
The government has declared it as an emergency based on the advise of emergency services.
The residents will think its an emergency, fark even the climate brigade are crying it’s an emergency and where the hell is the pm
Whether it has been burning for 5 months or 5 minutes is irrelevant. And yes the media have been reporting on the fires in the Grafton area otherwise how did I know about it.

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #434 on: December 20, 2019, 05:50:50 AM »
Hey Rags,
Please tell me what my problem is.
Cause I have no idea.
Cheers
:)

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #435 on: December 20, 2019, 06:56:27 AM »
Its the same in every state.
In Qld back in 2011, 1/2 eastern part of the state was under water, Rockhampton had areas evacuated, the runway under water and the airport buildings were sandbagged so they wouldn't be flooded. Bundaburg had the river flowing down the main street, the population of whole towns were loaded in helicopters and moved out...

then Brisbane copped the rain and the rest of the state didn't rate a mention anymore.

In other news; 2 fire fighters died and 3 injured in a MVA last night and another 3 in a serious condition after they were over run by the fire yesterday afternoon.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-20/two-volunteer-firefighrers-dead-after-nsw-rfs-truck-rolls/11816732
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:57:58 AM by Hoyks »

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #436 on: December 20, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »
2 young firefighting dads have been killed today.  Very sad.  I just hope that the govt has some sort of life insurance in place for these volunteers...Families will need emotional, family community and financial support.  More than a bucket of hope and prayers.  Without these and other volunteers Australia would be a cesspool.  We can get by with a lot less pollies but every volunteer is highly needed.  R.I.P....Heroes.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: Rowlie

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #437 on: December 20, 2019, 01:43:04 PM »
There is supposed to be insurance cover, but how do you put a $ value on life without a dad :'(

RIP
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #438 on: December 20, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »
OK  lets settle down  , we are being wiped into a frensy on reports in the press . Alobo wants to spill his guts on TV about paying Vols with a council truck in the back ground not a fire truck .
l have just returned from my  2nd deployment to NSW to fight fires    ,   its not fun .
We are not doing enough Pre fire season burns to manage the bush fuel load . This will slow the bulk of litter on the bush floor but the creepie crallies wont have any where to live . The Greens are not really in the picture on this . DO Pre Season Burns  to reduce the fuel load . Less Fuel /Less Fire

Let the trolls start on this Horry Old Bone  , or stand on a fire truck
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust
The following users thanked this post: alnjan, plusnq

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #439 on: December 20, 2019, 06:09:02 PM »

OK  lets settle down  , we are being wiped into a frensy on reports in the press . Alobo wants to spill his guts on TV about paying Vols with a council truck in the back ground not a fire truck .
l have just returned from my  2nd deployment to NSW to fight fires    ,   its not fun .
We are not doing enough Pre fire season burns to manage the bush fuel load . This will slow the bulk of litter on the bush floor but the creepie crallies wont have any where to live . The Greens are not really in the picture on this . DO Pre Season Burns  to reduce the fuel load . Less Fuel /Less Fire

Hey Jamie,
Been thinking you have been out giving of you time.
Thanks Mate.
The media have played us for fools.

You rest up, enjoy your cold beer.
Cheers.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #440 on: December 20, 2019, 06:13:30 PM »

Well said brother!
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #441 on: December 20, 2019, 06:20:27 PM »

Hey Jamie,
Been thinking you have been out giving of you time.
Thanks Mate.
The media have played us for fools.

You rest up, enjoy your cold beer.

Got that happening        :cheers:

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #442 on: December 20, 2019, 07:26:58 PM »
Quote from: speewa158
We are not doing enough Pre fire season burns to manage the bush fuel load
You'll get tarred n feathered for bringing logic to this discussion, or any on the fires...

oh and you forgot to say Coal and Scomo.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #443 on: December 20, 2019, 08:02:27 PM »
You'll get tarred n feathered for bringing logic to this discussion, or any on the fires...

oh and you forgot to say Coal and Scomo.

Used to pay Good Money for such ,,,, Young People Today wouldn't know if a Large Brown Dog was upon them ,,,,,,, Coal & l voted for Scomo     Could l also say  " Doze in a Greenie/Vegan "

That ort to set them on fire  , at least a back burn ,,,,,
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #444 on: December 20, 2019, 10:42:55 PM »

Yep it really is that simple. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #445 on: December 20, 2019, 10:47:32 PM »
Dunno bout up there, but its dropped dramatically here and there might be a light shower.. just enough to make humidity hit 500%
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #446 on: December 21, 2019, 12:22:00 PM »
Dunno bout up there, but its dropped dramatically here and there might be a light shower.. just enough to make humidity hit 500%

Temp dropped but winds got up. East Gippsland fires made a run overnight. When I went to bed at 11pm they were at 50,000 hectares.

I checked again at 10am and had grown to 90,000 hectares.

Looks like we are trying to catch up to our neighbours to the north 😕

Went to a district briefing last Monday. Got told we would no longer be sending members interstate for foreseeable future. We were going to be to busy in our own back yard as 4 major fires join together over next few weeks.

Last night they got half way there.
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #448 on: December 21, 2019, 07:26:24 PM »
Yep it really is that simple.
It should be.
But egos, politics wont allow it

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #449 on: December 21, 2019, 11:48:20 PM »
It should be.
But egos, politics wont allow it

Egos and politics won't allow hazard reduction burns? Do you know anything at all about the topic?
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42