Author Topic: NSW Fires  (Read 96228 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: NSW Fires
« Reply #325 on: December 02, 2019, 09:11:12 AM »
Sounds a bit bad down Batemans way... hope they dont get the wind we've had for last few days.....

A bushfire burning at emergency level on NSW's South Coast has crossed the Princes Highway, cutting off several communities, as almost 130 fires burn across NSW amid very dry and windy conditions on Monday.

The Currowan blaze, which has already burnt more than 11,500 hectares, is burning out-of-control in the Bimberamala and Murramarang national parks, north of Batemans Bay.

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/residents-urged-to-evacuate-as-south-coast-fire-burns-out-of-control-20191201-p53fuc.html

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:24:47 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #326 on: December 02, 2019, 01:15:35 PM »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #328 on: December 02, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »
You missed the more important article there
https://www.theland.com.au/story/6520461/questions-over-the-fate-of-the-pub-with-no-beer/?cs=4941

That was the next article I read - and knew that one of you lot would pick up on it... it also seemed to be a non-story if it's panning out as it sounds.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #329 on: December 03, 2019, 08:29:43 AM »
Good read in The Land today about the challenges of HR burns:
https://www.theland.com.au/story/6520462/hazard-reduction-debate-simply-frustrating/?cs=4941

I like the way the so called 'experts' who criticise Hazard Reduction can only 'blame' Climate Change' for the 'worsening' Bushfires, appear to concede defeat by offering no alternative to mitigating Bushfires. While the article is critical of a number of incidents about Hazard Reduction not being effective it states, " Hazard reduction, strategic planning, equipment and training are all important contributors to successful fire management." So sad they wish to put blame on something else for a situation they have had a hand in building themselves.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #330 on: December 03, 2019, 09:12:03 AM »
Quote from: alnja
So sad they wish to put blame on something else for a situation they have had a hand in building themselves.
Its easier...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #331 on: December 03, 2019, 01:17:17 PM »
Its easier...

That's about the only answer there is
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #332 on: December 03, 2019, 04:10:29 PM »
Its easier...
Yep,
I'm not responsible for myself, someone else  is.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #333 on: December 06, 2019, 02:04:15 PM »
680 homes lost this fire season in NSW.
 :'(

Take care,  Guys & Girls.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #334 on: December 06, 2019, 02:29:41 PM »
680 homes lost this fire season in NSW.
 :'(

Take care,  Guys & Girls.
its funny how many people think fires are new, never happened bfore... gotta laugh at the comments..

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/nsw-fires-live-updates-rfs-continues-to-fight-blazes-20191205-p53hek.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #335 on: December 06, 2019, 03:41:47 PM »
You wanna pop down for a few days Hairs? Got a few odd jobs you can do while ya here ;)

Huge amount of fire': Blazes join to create 60km front

Deputy RFS Commissioner Rob Rogers said the Central Coast blazes that joined to create a megafire had created a huge front for firefighters to tackle.

"They've all just basically joined together now and it's almost like 60km of fire going from the Hawkesbury area all the way up to Singleton and at various staging moving towards the east,"he told Nine. "It's a huge amount of fire."

The Gospers Mountain fire alone has burnt more than 250,000 hectars, and has joined with the Little L Complex blaze and the Paddock Run fire. All those blazes are burning out of control.

"We will do our best to save homes but lives are the most important thing this afternoon."
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline wada4wd

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #336 on: December 06, 2019, 05:14:40 PM »
its funny how many people think fires are new, never happened bfore... gotta laugh at the comments..

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/nsw-fires-live-updates-rfs-continues-to-fight-blazes-20191205-p53hek.html

Fires have been going for centuries.

They are getting faster, and burning at places that didn't had it before. High winds, Higher air heats, and lost of water in the dirt.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #337 on: December 06, 2019, 05:49:03 PM »
Have a read of this post:
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2830568603674099&id=162875140443472

Thats why the fires this year are a problem...

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #338 on: December 06, 2019, 06:06:59 PM »
This is why
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #339 on: December 06, 2019, 07:00:54 PM »
This is why

Yep....and lack of rain to halt the spread.

No rain forecast for a few weeks yet...grim times ahead.....but it will rain, just don't know when ?

BEFORE global warming, google California 1930's drought...and we think we have it bad ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #340 on: December 06, 2019, 07:20:08 PM »
Please Santa can we have l  400mm of rain over the next few weeks on the hot stuff in NSW /QLD  .
They haven't been that bad up there
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #341 on: December 06, 2019, 07:27:27 PM »
Please Santa can we have l  400mm of rain over the next few weeks on the hot stuff in NSW /QLD  .
They haven't been that bad up there
Praying for the same.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #342 on: December 06, 2019, 07:38:52 PM »
Praying for the same.
Not much for prayer so I guess I’ll start dancing!
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #343 on: December 07, 2019, 05:23:08 AM »
Not much for prayer so I guess I’ll start dancing!
There is a Group in Yamba that are everyday.
Rain Dancing.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #344 on: December 07, 2019, 06:34:21 AM »
This is why

This is what people just do not understand.   This is the basic simple science of Fire.  Remove one of the elements, Heat, Oxygen or fuel and that stops the chain reaction causing fire.  Climate Change or no Climate Change does not change that fact.   To just blame Climate Change as many want to, is not and will not do anything for Bushfires.  It definitely is not investigating into the cause of the Bushfires and future ways to mitigate the chance of a Bushfire or how to better fight a bushfire.  Listening to some of the 'experts' blaming Climate Change stating Hazard Reduction Burns either do not work or are too dangerous to conduct and just should not be conducted, to further stating current fire fighting techniques and technologies are not working but today have not said what the alternatives are.

Cheers

Al and/or Jan
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline wada4wd

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #345 on: December 07, 2019, 07:07:41 AM »
This is what people just do not understand.   This is the basic simple science of Fire.  Remove one of the elements, Heat, Oxygen or fuel and that stops the chain reaction causing fire.  Climate Change or no Climate Change does not change that fact.   To just blame Climate Change as many want to, is not and will not do anything for Bushfires.  It definitely is not investigating into the cause of the Bushfires and future ways to mitigate the chance of a Bushfire or how to better fight a bushfire.  Listening to some of the 'experts' blaming Climate Change stating Hazard Reduction Burns either do not work or are too dangerous to conduct and just should not be conducted, to further stating current fire fighting techniques and technologies are not working but today have not said what the alternatives are.

The problem is that the heat of the world is getting warmer. We cannot remove Heat, Oxygen or fuel because the world has been getting hotter.

Yes, Climate change over years is making it harder for the world to keep the fires under control. Yes, Oxygen, Heat, Fuel and Chain Reaction is getting stronger for years. And the heat is reducing the water in the dirt causing more change for fires.

Climate change is showing us what is happening. If the Climate never changed then the fires would be the same it was before. Obviously, it has been changing.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #346 on: December 07, 2019, 07:27:03 AM »
Have a read of this post:
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2830568603674099&id=162875140443472

Thats why the fires this year are a problem...

The bloke he is talking about Mark Graham.  I was having a fb discussion on a post that appeared to be deleted before I could get back to him to continue our discussion.  But he was saying the likes of New England National Park has never had a fire in it for 50 million years due to some organism being present.  thought that was a pretty big claim considering the Ebor Volcano last erupted 16-19 million years ago and may have had some impact on the 30 million years before that.  His reply was I do not understand deep time.  Deep time is the concept of geologic time going back to the time of the dinosaurs.   Not sure if that means recent time events don't matter.   His belief is that as the Gondwana rainforest have never had a fire in them for 50 million years we simple should not be conducting any Hazard Reduction Burns at all and now that they are burning it is only prove of Climate Change causing the fires. 
I was going to ask him about that deep time and the time before of the dinosaurs when CO2 levels were at record levels and it was a little warmer then it is today how the earth had such an explosion of plant and animal growth why it didn't automatically burst into flames as the scientist are predicting for our future. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #347 on: December 07, 2019, 08:18:01 AM »
To just blame Climate Change as many want to, 

From the SMH article above, I see Malcolm Turnbull has now also jumped on that bandwagon - as somebody commented on his post "Pity you didn't actually do something about it when you had the chance" >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #348 on: December 07, 2019, 08:20:41 AM »
But he was saying the likes of New England National Park has never had a fire in it for 50 million years

Saw the comment that it has been 3 million years since there has been severe fires in the Border Ranges Gondwana rainforests, where Binna Burra Lodge was recently destroyed!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #349 on: December 07, 2019, 09:12:32 AM »
Saw the comment that it has been 3 million years since there has been severe fires in the Border Ranges Gondwana rainforests, where Binna Burra Lodge was recently destroyed!

While the chances of a fire starting in a wet rainforest is greatly reduced, given the right weather conditions a bushfire, like a drought and hot dry winds, which we have had numerous times before a bush fire started in a dry forest will move into a wet rainforest, drying it out and burning it. 

Cheers

Al and/or Jan