Author Topic: RedArk Tow Pro Elite Controller - Advice Required  (Read 1882 times)

Offline baz1

• Tent User
RedArk Tow Pro Elite Controller - Advice Required
« on: September 18, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »
We drive a Nissan Pathfinder ST, and will be pulling an Opus Camper Trailer, which weighs about 1900kg.

We had a RedArk Tow Pro Elite Controller installed to the car, it essentially has two functions, automatic, where the controller applies the same amount of brakes to the trailer that the car is applying, and a manual mode, where you set the amount of braking required when you depress the brake pedal in your car, from low to high.

We will pretty much be towing the trailer on highways, and the occasional light unsealed road, so thought the automatic function would be most appropriate for us (we won't be doing any offroading). However, when we picked up the trailer we were advised to use the manual setting, at something around level 2 (the settings for the amount of brake that can be applied in manual mode are between one for the least, and ten for the most).

What would you recommend we use, and if manual, what setting?

Cheers!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: RedArk Tow Pro Elite Controller - Advice Required
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 03:18:45 PM »
It will be trial and error to see what works for your car, your trailer, the road conditions etc.

When we fitted mine at GG's joint, we went for several drives to get the right settings.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 04:01:07 PM »
yep, trial and error, and note that if you accidentally bump the dial getting in and out, on 10 it will most likely lock up the trailer wheels!

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 05:55:50 PM »
I have one and even on auto mode the dial still controls how much braking power you have.
I have ours on 3 towing a Jayco Hawke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 07:15:11 PM »
I would assume auto mode is proportional, therefore the mode you would use on the road.
The manual setting is probably for offroad situations where you want to dial in more ( or less ) braking to suit .

Some makers still sell non proportional controllers, but they are old hat and nowhere as good as proportional....especially in the wet.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 07:22:29 PM »
I have been happy with ours. Had one on the last car and insisted on another when we purchased the BT

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 08:59:02 PM »
I have been happy with ours. Had one on the last car and insisted on another when we purchased the BT

I still use an old Prodigy P2 ( proportional ) and it still works great. But the Redarcs are a much neater install.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra