Author Topic: "Dirty Weekends" Amamoor to Glastonbury (Gympie Forest) Qld  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
"Dirty Weekends" Amamoor to Glastonbury (Gympie Forest) Qld
« on: March 27, 2017, 09:10:55 PM »
Now, this is nothing against the publication whatsoever as mine is an '07 version & could be out of date, but, if someone is looking at doing this route, it will take a very modified vehicle. Leading two other vehicles, I followed this route up to #64 in the book, called up the two mates & requested the wait until I had completed the descent in front. I did walk a bit of the way, thinking it was dodgy but do-able. However, on going further than my walk, I proceeded over a rut/washout which had my RH rear wheel 3' in the air & half a vehicle length in front of that was a rock ledge of some 18"-20" which I had no hope of not going over.
After mentioning to my "mates" that it was a bit dodgy, they decided we'd walk a bit more of the track. It got progressively worse!
After a hundred point turn with mates as top side ballast on the sliders, I managed to get the 'tilly back up over the rock ledge but the wash off of momentum had me stuffed for the ruts, plus by now it had started showering (Good Old Murphy).
After a bit of a discussion & some unkind comments from very good friends, the 'tilly's winch was put to good use.
After finding an alternative route, it turned out that I was only around 600-700 metres from a decent track but there was no way I would have got there.
Just a heads up for most & a perhaps a challenge for some.
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: "Dirty Weekends" Amamoor to Glastonbury (Gympie Forest) Qld
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 05:04:33 AM »
There's been a fair bit of weather in the last 10 years. I have the first edition of that book which would be another 10 years older again. Half of those tracks no longer exist.