Author Topic: Will I regret this?  (Read 4402 times)

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
Will I regret this?
« on: February 06, 2017, 12:25:38 PM »
Gday all.
    I haven't posted on here for ages, but still lurking in the background. I've currently got a diesel non turbo 96' 80 series cruiser with 260000 on the clock. I'm constantly disgruntled with the lack of grunt when towing the camper and have been toying with the idea of upgrading for a while now. Any decent incline sees us dropping back to 3rd or even second gear and 40-50km/hr. In doing so, having to put the foot down, we're using 18-19L per hundred kms. I'd love to upgrade to a TD 100 series, but the prices are insane for a reasonable km unit ($38000 for a factory TD 100 series with 240000kms on the clock). Which has led me to start looking at Pajeros. We don't do hardcore 4wding anymore and I've found an 05' TD Pajero with 195000kms and full service history for $13500.
    My question is, will I regret selling the cruiser and moving to Mitsubishi brand? I'm at a loss as to what to do at the moment.

Cheers

Wes
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Will I regret this?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 12:28:46 PM »
 fit a turbo to your existing motor.  That way you retain the history of the car, moving to a replacement car sometimes issues pop up.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 12:39:52 PM »
Rock and a hard place.
That Paj seems cheap to me. Buying second hand is always a lottery. Is it the model with 18in rims, cause the tyres can be fawkin expensive for 18's.

The Pajero are a beautiful car feeling 4wd to drive.. Extremely smooth, and mate has a 22ft caravan that his tows like knife through butter. Don't doubt the capabilities of them either, go do a trip with the Paj club ;)

Turboing a 260+klm car *CAN* be asking for big issues.. When I asked my tuner about going a bigger fuel pump, and turbo on mine he was very hesitant...

Also starting again with a new car can be fun, but it gets expensive really quick when you add up the accessories.

Not sure what I'd do.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »
We upgraded to a 2002 turbo diesel GXV Land cruiser about 4 years ago and paid around $30000 with over 300000 on the clock. I don't regret it because it made a huge difference pulling the KK. She is looking a little scratched up now but she always does the job. Last year she cost as a bit, power steering pump, seat belts (really expensive) etc etc etc but it is also stuff that goes eventually. We will keep her going to she goes no more. She now has nearly 450000 on the clock.
2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 01:19:24 PM »
Hi Wes,
It's averaged 23000 k's a year, not many really if serviced and looked after.
I take it, your cruiser is a 1HZ?
If so there are many owners that have put a turbo on their 1hz that have done well over 300 000klm on the clock and they are happy.
Fit a 3" exhaust, it will love you for it after you bolt on the turbo.
Don't lug it up hills, the bearings don't like that.   ;D
And then she'll last ya many years.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 01:56:56 PM »
Quote from: LB
... seat belts (really expensive)

http://seatbeltsolutions.com.au/
http://www.seatbeltking.com.au/
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Beepa

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »
I feel your pain, I rebuilt the 1hz in my ute knowing it's a dog on road and I'm still worried about my first trip towing the TC on the beach. But as you say the price for a cruiser with any sort of power costs way too much. I'm very wary of putting a turbo on a 1HZ with 20000k's on the clock, at 260000k's you will surely be playing lotto with your dollars. Have a look at novated leases, they don't suit everybody but they can and do suit some buyers. That's where our next cruiser will be coming from.
Humping a Camel Beachcomber Plus.

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »
Keep it mate and throw in a 1hdfte conversion.  I'm in the process of collecting parts to do the same with my 96 fzj80.  Yours will be an easier swap as it's already diesel.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 02:39:20 PM »
Tough call mate. Providing your engine has been looked after there's no reason why you can't turbo it and get a heap more power. The most important thing is getting it tuned correctly; lots of them are not done right and they end up destroying the engine.

The 1HZ has about 50kW at the rear wheels. A good turbo will take that to about 100 kW. Gturbo come highly recommended.

However, it all comes down to the work that needs to be done on your vehicle in the future, and the value of any modifications you have fitted. Expect to have other repairs required, as they are getting on in age.

I have spent way more than I'd like on our 80 series, which is running the 1HDT engine (the 12 valve factory turbo).

Another option is to install a 1HDFT engine in good condition; you will get a lot more power, better economy and they are just as reliable. Not cheap either way.

Ultimately only you can make the call; think about what its going to cost you over the next x years, versus trading it in. 80's are very capable cars, and there isn't a whole lot in diesel, sub 20k that compares. If you are one keen on doing the harder 4WD tracks this is important. If not, then it doesn't matter so much

Good luck

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »
Owned a 04 NP turbo diesel Pajero for 7 years.  Regularly towed a 2T+ boat over long distance and never had an issue. Sold it with 220K on the clock and the new owner has put another 50K on the car since and it hasn't missed a beat.  Without a doubt the most reliable vehicle I've owned.  Apart from service and general maintenance costs I never had to spend a cent to fix any major problems.  That model Paj (pre CRD) is particularly reliable, and even the few more common faults you may here about with them are quite easy fixes.  There are a few recent reports about fuel pumps failing on higher km models ($4-5K repair), but considering the number of these vehicles sold the incidences of this are still very low.

Quite capable off road and a very good towing and touring vehicle IMO.

Only sold mine when I was offered a newer model Paj at a great price.

Good luck with your decision.   

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 02:45:50 PM »
I had a slightly newer Pajero than the one you are considering, and my old man had a non turbo 80 series.
I certainly know which I'd prefer as both a daily driver and a tow vehicle.

If you do go the Pajero route, steer away from the Auto NS and early Auto NT models. The implementation of the DPF in those, especially the NS left a lot to be desired. No drama with the manual as it didn't have one.
No DPF in the 2005 NP model so all good there.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 05:58:21 PM »
As said above, putting a turbo on a 1HZ (with those kms) is a lottery. If you use the extra grunt and the bottom end holds together then the next weak link is the pistons. Non turbo 1HZ's have different pistons to factory turbo ones. That said, some folk get away with fitting turbos but I reckon they must nanna them.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 06:22:36 PM »
You're in Townsville from what I can tell. Pickles has a depot up there. Find a wrecked 79 series with an 1hdfte. You want the 79 series to get away from electronics of the 100 series. Use the engine and box. I think you need to bolt you transfer to it. There are a couple of place that do the modified looms to make it all work. Put a fat pipe and intercooler on it with a good quality chip. More grunt than you'll need and it will handle towing really well. If you can pick the wreck up for the right price and are able to do most of it yourself 15k will pull you up.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

Offline 4runnernomore

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »
If your motor is still in good nick as well you should  get reasonable coin for it offsetting the cost of conversion if you go this route. Don't forget you will need a gearbox if you are upgrading to a 1HDT.

When was the last time you gave the old girl some loving. ( injectors reset, tappers adjusted, pump tweaked). Are you running a good free flow exhaust and extractors? Are you running standard or oversize tyres?.

Giving the old girl a freshen up might it give another lease of life for a 100000 or so while you save for your next dream vehicle. just know the limitations on hills and ensuring she is geared correctly will give her some pep back on the freeway.

Have you given her a thorough inspection in the known rust spots especially around the firewall?? Any cancer might push your decision for upgrade.

I had a turbo end 1hz and she went likke the clappers. To do it right you are looking at big coin though and you will still have  that nagging feeling you are on borrowed time.

By doing it right you are looking at intercooling, full pump mods,injectors and complete cooling system overhaul/replacement, plus a full service, tap pet adjustment etc.

Best of luck with the  decision
Cheers,

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 09:47:05 PM »
One of these and enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08-owf0H0Oc    ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 11:22:27 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone. It seems for everyone I talk to that knows someone with an aftermarket turbo on a 1hz that is going great, another 2 fellas tell me about their mates ones that blew up. The cruiser is in excellent mechanical condition and has no rust at all, but like many of you have said, turboing it will have me feeling like it's on borrowed time. Plus I just don't think I could throw $10-15000 at a 96' model 4by, even though the 1hdtfe would be unreal.
 So, after test driving the Pajero and falling in love with the power and smooth auto, I threw in an offer today and old mate accepted. Another thing that sold me was the fact he had kept receipts for all mechanical work and servicing over the years. He just put a ARB bullbar on with light force spotties and brand new bridgestone duelers and also recently had a redarc electric brake controller fitted. So I don't have to spend a lot on aftermarket bits now which is a bonus. I'll be sad to see the old cruiser go once I tidy her right up and I just hope and pray that the Paj will be as reliable as it was.

Thanks again for all the replies and help.

Wes
My Trailer Build

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 04:21:01 AM »
You best join the Pajero Forum. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/
Great site , plenty of info.
As much as I am an 80 series fan I am also very biased towards Pajeros. We are on our second. First one was an 03 v6 petrol auto with some mods and we have a brand new NX at the moment.
If you like the NP for power and smoothness you should try the new ones, ;D
Good luck and hopefully the Cruiser goes to a good home.
Cheers, Mike.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 05:53:44 AM »
Congrats on the new ride mate. Looks good.
I can also recommend the Pajero forum. A wealth of info available there.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 07:12:53 AM »
Cheers for the link to the Pajero forum, I'll have to join. Gunna get the polish out now and start sprucing up the 80.
My Trailer Build