Author Topic: hitchhiking  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
hitchhiking
« on: March 27, 2020, 06:44:30 PM »
Ok,
This subject has come about because a mate posted elsewhere questioning, do you pick up someone on the side of road these days?
As a late teenager in the early 80's, My mates & I 'bummed' a lift all over the north coast, surfboards under our arms, just trying to get from A to B.
I met some amazing people, people seemed to care.
Do you offer people a lift, do you think Fark that?
Do you jugde them by the way the dress.
Sometimes people have fallen on tough times.
Good people will offer help.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: hitchhiking
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 06:50:54 PM »
When I was in NZ recently, I picked up a young couple hitchhiking and gave them a lift to their next camp ground as it was bucketing down. You see quite a lot of backpackers thumbing a rid over there. For me, it is very much a case by case decision.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 09:11:17 PM »
Same as you, bummed plenty of lifts in my younger days.

I would offer a lift to strangers here and there when I was doing my apprenticeship, but these days it’s pretty rare.

The last hitchhiker I picked up was probably 8 or 9 years ago.
Some random dude standing at a spot that was easy for me to stop at just before my highway merge.
I was really early for a meeting, he looked like he was heading to work. Figured I’d stop.
Turns out he’d just lost his license and had come up to see some mates on the coast for the weekend. His mate was supposed to drive him back to Brissy for work, but had let him down that morning.

Would probably pick up another traveler if the situation is easy and looks safe enough.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:19:53 PM »
There were 2 backpackers in Manjimup (3hrs south of Perth) a few weeks ago, was considering picking them up as I was solo in my car, but my cautious side won and I drove past. Was a hard choice as they were both early-mid 20s attractive females in clothing that you wouldn’t want your own daughter wearing...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 12:21:20 AM »
There were 2 backpackers in Manjimup (3hrs south of Perth) a few weeks ago, was considering picking them up as I was solo in my car, but my cautious side won and I drove past. Was a hard choice as they were both early-mid 20s attractive females in clothing that you wouldn’t want your own daughter wearing...

In light of current circumstances, good call. If Cov19 wasn't around I'd say you idiot  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 07:12:22 AM »
Hitched from the Gold Coast to Cairns and back in the 80’s with a Canadian dude who apparently played in Skid Row at some stage. We had a riot. You don’t see many hitchers these days but used to pick up plenty if they looked non threatening enough.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 07:16:40 AM »
The only hitch hiker I ever picked up was a 'young lady' when I was in my 20's. I was on my way to work in the CBD, she wanted a lift from the suburbs back to St Kilda. She was quite polite and chatty, turns out she was a lady of the night returning from a 'client'.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Trilogy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 09:48:57 AM »
I picked up a hitchhiker last night. He seemed surprised that I'd pick up a stranger. He asked, "Thanks but why would you pick me up? How would you know I'm not a serial killer?".

I told him the chances of two serial killers in a car would be astronomical
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03, GBC, Gandalf the White, Ultimate Adventures Podcast

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 10:16:30 AM »
Used to hitch running shuttles on rivers in France, and they were not un-used to that.

Did pick up a German backpacker a few years ago in Port Macquarie who was heading to Coffs; it was a bit of a squeeze 3-up in the cab of the whizzbang van we had, so that put a stop to that since then.

We do look at some of the hitchhikers around here, but we are rarely going all the way they want to (and if we are, the chances are the car's full) so don't pick any up.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 11:18:26 AM »
Hi,
   In the 60s I hitched from Melbourne to Cairns. Took a few weeks. Longest ride was over 700km with a Qld police officer on transfer.
Met some strange and some wonderful people and some scary and some happy times though.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 01:03:25 PM »
with only 1 road into town and same road out, and only 6 buses all day, we had no choice but to hitch to and from clubs...
getttin home after 11pm was a real bitch, but we used to walk to the shops, knock off a milk crate, the paper and a pint of milk adn go sit at the turn off until shift change at the Refinery .. that used to get us home if we were lucky... although sometimes sat there 2-3 hours with a campfire going readin paper.. cops never saw the funny side of that and called fireys on us more than once.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Gandalf the White

• Wise Wandering Wizard
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Feelin great with a 2.8
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 01:04:18 PM »
I picked up a hitchhiker last night. He seemed surprised that I'd pick up a stranger. He asked, "Thanks but why would you pick me up? How would you know I'm not a serial killer?".

I told him the chances of two serial killers in a car would be astronomical
A couple of years back I picked up a long legged brunette as she looked a little lost. I asked where she was off to and she said just down to the bottle shop. I said no problem, going straight past there anyway. Half way there she started taking her top off which caught me by surprise. Then she started kissing me and before you knew it we’d arrived at the bottle shop where she got out. When I got home I found that my watch and wallet had been stolen. A bit embarrassed I decided not to report it to the police.
Wouldn’t believe it but a week later heading on the same road there she was again, so picked her up and gave her a lift. Same thing happened.

So over 4 weeks I lost 15 cheap watches and 18 wallets each with $20 in it🤭😂
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:06:04 PM by Gandalf the White »
How to fall asleep in a chair
1 - sit in a chair
2 - be old

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 03:53:32 PM »
I once picked up a young lady, who informed me that she was a witch.
I asked her to prove it and what do know!
She made me turn into a motel for the night!
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"