Author Topic: Hi from the good side of Brisbane  (Read 10134 times)

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
Hi from the good side of Brisbane
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »
Hi all
Have already asked one queston on here but thought I best introduce myself.
Currently have a 2 room tent, big tarp and off road trailer but takes to long to take the palm fronds off the trailer and pack everything and then set up, pull down, unpack and then throw the palm fronds back in the trailer so started thinking if I have a CT already set up I might have more chance of getting away more often.
I have a 5 star wife who will only camp on a powered site with en suite. Have to slowly work my way back to unpowered sites and then maybe beach sites and if I am really lucky maybe one day a big road trip with the family. I am hoping with a good set up this will make it easier to get the social director on board.
We managed to get some time off the week before christmas and found a last minute site at Tallebudgera but of course have left it to late to order a new CT so the options now are:
1/ Can hire a trackabout for the week to get a feel for the CT experience. There is 1 available for the week we have booked and the set up looks good.
2/ Buy a cheapie. Have found a couple of Australian made but basic set up and old for under $3000. Possibly keep it for a 3-6 months to see what use we get out of it once the new toy period has expired plus get more feel for what we will require in a new build and then once we buy new sell the oldie for hopefully same price.
3/ Had a tradesman quoting for some work on our house and he has a customliner in as new condition which he is about to advertise. It has everything that we require and more but not the exact set up that I would go for at this stage (I want 2 gas bottle holders this has 1 plus single battery on side where as I would like 2 in the tool box) but these are minor and can easily be changed down the track. This will save me 6-7k cheaper than if I have one built.
4/ Take the palm fronds off the trailer and take the tent and tarp and check out the Ct's on site and go through this process again next year.

For a new build I am down to Modcon (I like the rear folding option and also pull out pantry) or Trackabout (waiting for a call back from them as they were carpeting there show room floor when I stopped by). Both are overkill at this stage but if I get my way (cough cough) will be up for anything that I throw at it.   
That's me
Cheers Cancan
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline flamingoose

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Hi from the good side of Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 08:54:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum CanCan

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:50:28 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, I would say that hiring one would be your best bet to make sure the better half is happy, you dont want to spend all that money to have to pass it on to someone else. Hire a decent trailer with all the mod cons and you may get the ok to proceed, well hopefully

GG

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:58:03 AM »
Yup agree with GG, try the hire first.

My wife was 5 star and had never camped in her life before I met her. I made sure I got the camper setup the way she wanted it and did a few en-suite site trips to ease her in. Then we spent 3 weeks in central Aus. She now hassles me about when/where we're going next.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline davo69 and the Nurse

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • '07 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 11:08:10 AM »
Hi and Welcome to MySwag!

Hire first then buy! Thats what we did back in 2006!
The one we hired was awful... the one we bought was awesome (different brand)!

the Nurse
get DIRTY

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 11:12:35 AM »
G'day and welcome to Myswag. :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:23:22 PM »
G'day & Welcome, to the forum and camper trailers.

It's a good idea to hire first, my first exposure to CTs was a Trackabout that I hired for a trip to Fraser Island. I knew I'd never be happy in a tent again.

Yours wouldn't be the only wife who likes her comforts and doesn't think they're available whilst camping, but you can change this perception. I like to say "that any fool can be uncomfortable", and the camper allows one to take whatever you need to ensure your wife doesn't feel like she's slumming it.

I wouldn't go the cheapie, as this might not achieve the goal above, whereas a good hire unit is a better chance. On the second hand trailer, the issues you mentioned are (relatively) small. How long, how often and how far are you going that you'd absolutely need two gas bottles? A second battery is easily added, but if you're starting on powered sites, it might be a while before you need it. One 100Ah battery will run lights and a fridge for a weekend, or near enough.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline mcbadger2

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 04:35:57 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

When stating the good side, i can only assume you mean the south side. Lets face it; you wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Mark
mcbadger

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 04:59:46 PM »
G'day and welcome to the forum.
As others have said, hiring is definitely a good option, especially this close to Chrissie.
I don't think CT's should ever be a rushed purchase. Too many options.........

Oh and Mark, there is only one good side to Brissie and it aint the Southside  ;D

Offline mcbadger2

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »
G'day and welcome to the forum.
As others have said, hiring is definitely a good option, especially this close to Chrissie.
I don't think CT's should ever be a rushed purchase. Too many options.........

Oh and Mark, there is only one good side to Brissie and it aint the Southside  ;D

Bring it on, this could open some interesting discussion.
mcbadger

Offline Compass

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
Hello Cancan, Welcome.  I agree with the "Hire first" advise you've already been given.  If you need more info this forum is a great place to find answers so don't be afraid to ask. :cheers:
Eric.
2015 Toyota Prado
2012 Kimberley Kamper Platinum

Offline richee

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »
Hi Cancan

Welcome to the forum.

Dont mind us if we take you intro thread just a little off topic.

Richard

Correct it aint the Southside its the Westside  :cup:
2007 NS DiD GLX Pajero
2010 Jayco Eagle

Offline V8ute

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 05:23:28 PM »
Welcome Cancan,
 Hire first, there is some beauties around brissy for hire.
Good to have another SEQlder
 :cheers:
V8ute.
08 Cruiser ute, 10 Outback Eagle.
Loaded ready to roll

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 07:35:11 PM »
We were going to hire to try but came across a second hand Modcon (Made at Capalaba) and when we looked at it, well that was it. We had to buy it. We have never looked back. (We hadn't even bought our 4by at that stage!)  The previous owner had kept the camper in immaculate condition. It had all of the handy extras; the only thing I fitted straight away was a 12 volt water pump. One of the most important things it did have, a king size innerspring mattress.  ;D So comfy!  We will be very happy having this camper for some years to come. We have done over 30,000 ks already, bought it in 2009.  Retiring at the end of this year, 20 working days time to be precise, and will be doing a lot more miles, sorry, kilometres in the camper. So just go for it and get out there!  Life is far too short.  :4x4:   Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline fitzyfootlong

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 07:43:36 PM »
Welcome!

At least it's not the Northside!!! ;D
Loving Life...

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 08:27:49 PM »
Just to clear things up, the good side is south east...well at the moment although I do work on the northside but it is nice to cross the gateway in the afternoon although that could have something to do with being further away from work than back on the southside.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline Biscuits

• Swag User
  • More camping - less working - my quest continues..
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 08:42:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum Cancan,
I am also a new member, myswag forum really helped me with such an important purchase.
To cut a long story short, we hired a Trackabout (as a recommendation from a member) which allowed us to venture out and basically try the camper on for size (including towing it). It was the best thing we could do, once we set up we could crawl all over it and really be critical about what suited us now and what may be good for the future. After speaking to fellow swaggers, Trackabout trailers rated highly,  I researched CT's for a fair while and for value, design and reliability ( Trackabout's are used as hire trailers in far north QLD and go to the cape often- a test for any vehicle or
trailer) I feel they are on the money anyway. In addition, Johnny
Trackabout is a top bloke to talk to and is happy to take the time
 to tell it how it is. ( sound like I am on a commission? No, just
happy I did what I could to make a sound choice- no regrets)
Good luck with your choice.

Offline Diksta

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Where I Should be
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/gbney01
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »
yeah the southside of brisbane must be the good side, they have woodridge, Inala, Eagleby, etc,all those high priced areas....
2016 200 Series
1983 60 Series
POTM November 2009 Winner :cup:
2009 POTY Winner :cup:
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=49966.new#new

Offline davo69 and the Nurse

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • '07 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 11:07:34 PM »
yeah the southside of brisbane must be the good side, they have woodridge, Inala, Eagleby, etc,all those high priced areas....

Geez.... I grew up and lived in Woodridge for 20 years... (soon as I was old enough - I made a run for it)... Also married a Woodridge car thief (didn't know that until the wedding reception speeches) and then divorced him....
Meet and married the love of my life... and moved to Springwood - cos the Woodridge-ites couldn't run across 8 lanes of highway.... (made me feel safer!)... and then recently moved to paradise!

BTW, my old's (Spike45) still lives in Woodridge... but he is currently visiting the suburb's cousin in Tasmania... where they eat the fresh road kill! Ewwww......

the Nurse

PS. Sorry, way off topic of hiring a TRACKABOUT!
get DIRTY

60series_family

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 05:22:33 AM »
Welcome from the "right side" of Brisbane  :cheers:
You'll have fun here

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 11:35:52 AM »
The only reasons I am willing to go to the southern side of the brisbane river is to get to NSW, go to the 'gabba, and to visit the manufacturer of my camper trailer.

If I need to go anywhere else over there, I always find it such a hassle getting the necessary injections..  ;D

Offline SKEMPIE

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »
Greetings Cancan,
Enjoy the forum. You may have sparked a Northside vs Southside thing here. I too travel between the two for work daily.

Offline truck

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 12:09:11 PM »
Welcome!

At least it's not the Northside!!! ;D

hey steady on, leave Townsville out of this. :D
truck

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 12:39:42 PM »
The only reasons I am willing to go to the southern side of the brisbane river is to get to NSW, go to the 'gabba, and to visit the manufacturer of my camper trailer.

If I need to go anywhere else over there, I always find it such a hassle getting the necessary injections..  ;D

;D ;D ;D hahahahaha

Cancan, as i am sure you have gathered by now, this is Myswag all over. Bit of ribbing here and there but generally no massive egos to contend with.
You, and i am sure everyone else will agree, have joined the right side of the internet here at Myswag!!!

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 05:45:09 PM »
Bring it on, this could open some interesting discussion.

x 2!   ;D 

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog