Author Topic: confirmed no diesel for the new Patrol  (Read 43737 times)

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: confirmed no diesel for the new Patrol
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2016, 08:52:52 PM »
With emission controls getting tighter every year I reckon diesels will be phased out in favor of petrols.........maybe Nissan are forward planning.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »
With emission controls getting tighter every year I reckon diesels will be phased out in favor of petrols.........maybe Nissan are forward planning.
Maybe  VW could help in the soft ware development  ???                        :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2016, 07:27:57 AM »
Long range fuel tanks  , Pfffffff  ,really   ,just how many times in the life of the rig do you really need them now . Most fuel is within the tank range of the average stock rig . To do a run across the Simpson , Tanamine , or Darwin to Hobart . What cant you do with 4 or more plastic jerries   ??? . Yes you can install a Huge tank for a few Gs or $200 of jerries .
Convince me of the benefit .                            ???                              :cheers:
so you'd stuff 4 jerries into the back of ya wagon or heven forbid whack 80odd kg of jerries on ya roof taking up valuable storage space.........
I regurlarly cross the country and have both long range main and sub. This helps stop where fuel is at a premium 1.20 vs 1.70.
also, the remote stuff I do, I  need 1100-1200 offroad km between fills.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2016, 07:28:32 AM »
Long range fuel tanks  , Pfffffff  ,really   ,just how many times in the life of the rig do you really need them now . Most fuel is within the tank range of the average stock rig . To do a run across the Simpson , Tanamine , or Darwin to Hobart . What cant you do with 4 or more plastic jerries   ??? . Yes you can install a Huge tank for a few Gs or $200 of jerries .
Convince me of the benefit .                            ???                              :cheers:

With a long range tank means more slabs in the CT?
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2016, 09:19:50 AM »
the remote stuff I do, I  need 1100-1200 offroad km between fills.

You are maybe 1% of 4wders that actually do really remote stuff.  You can get around nearly all of Australia on LPG if you plan a bit, so range isn't a big thing for most people !
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2016, 09:27:13 AM »

Possibly, but I can't see it happening due to our armed forces. 
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2016, 09:32:37 AM »
Now owning the patrol y62. 5.6 petrol V8. I wont be going back to a diesel. Yep heavier on fuel. Do i care? Nope. (Was $25g cheaper then a 200 vx).
Goes like a cut cat. ( toy 200 good luck keeping up) Tows like nothings even hooked up. Then out 4wd,  man its comfy,  and plenty capable. 

Yes I'm bias cause i own 1.

Funny you say that, I met a diesel mechanic on our last trip a few weeks ago. He owns a v8 Petrol Nissan Patrol as well and said the same things you are saying.
He clearly stated he wouldnt own a diesel due to 2 reasons
1. low quality diesel fuel in Aus
2. Cost is ridiculous
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 11:32:03 AM by cruiser 91 »
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline hempo

• Tent User
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2016, 10:02:05 AM »
140 Litre Petrol tank is still a good size and if getting around the 15 Litres I would rather the V8 Petrol than my 3L diesel when travelling. 

Not sure I would add long range tank, I expect with similar coin you could add a rear bar with wheel carrier and twin jerry holder.

The margin between Petrol and Diesel at the bowser fluctuates and often balance out however the luxury and the power would be pretty awesome to have with the V8.  When I bought my GU 2 years ago there was still around $30k difference between the Y61 and Y62 so went with the GU. 

The Y62 will be a big possibility for my next vehicle, if they are still around, and the prices continue to drop.

Agree also with the crap with EGR, DPF etc on many diesels maybe petrol is the way forward.  Dunno. 

2016 Holden Colorado LS Cab Chassis with 2011 Jimboomba Condamine Camper Trailer

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2016, 11:17:45 AM »

He clearly stated he wouldnt own a diesel due to 2 reasons
1. low quality diesel fuel in Aus
2. Cost is ridiculous

Mmm.....1.   quality seems to be as good as elsewhere in the world now. 10 ppm of sulphur for us and the same for most of europe !

2.   I don't buy new 4wds, so that doesn't apply to me.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline jw2170

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2016, 11:40:45 AM »
Well Toyota may help Nissan.

At the Toyota stealership  the other day was talk of Toyota dropping the 70 series and importing the Tundra.

I had seen a report, last year, that Toyota, will make the Tundra in right hand drive, if they get an order for 30,000.......
Jim & Maree
Sydney NSW

Hilux and soft floor camper.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2016, 01:07:12 PM »
I had seen a report, last year, that Toyota, will make the Tundra in right hand drive, if they get an order for 30,000.......

Won't be from Australia then !!  Hilux sold 35,000 in 2015, so a big ask to even consider a Tundra.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline stabicraft

• Tent User
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2016, 01:39:51 PM »
its a government plan put on them by the fuel manufacturers.

In the UK and other countries where govco isnt as corrupt, diesel accounts for more than 50% of the vehicle.
Better fuel economy, less pollution, and has a longer life.

But govco and their corporate masters know they get more bang for their buck with petrol guzzling cars, more tax and a shorter life.

Ill not be buying a petrol powered vehicle again.
If there are any diesel left after govco panders to their multinational masters again.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2016, 02:28:01 PM »

In the UK and other countries where govco isnt as corrupt, diesel accounts for more than 50% of the vehicle.

I don't subscribe to corrupt governments stuff, but in europe, the cost of fuel has always been high ( diesel as well ) and they drive around in small non turbo diesels because of fuel economy.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Pog

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Insert personal text here...
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2016, 03:26:51 PM »
its a government plan put on them by the fuel manufacturers............
govco isnt as corrupt, ...........
But govco and their corporate masters ............
If there are any diesel left after govco ...................

Excuse me while I go and get my Tin Foil Hat  ;D
2013 Toyota Prado Altitude & Challenge Outback Deluxe Offroad Camper Trailer.
MY PRADO BUILD

Offline jw2170

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2016, 02:24:18 PM »
Won't be from Australia then !!  Hilux sold 35,000 in 2015, so a big ask to even consider a Tundra.

Exactly..... 
Jim & Maree
Sydney NSW

Hilux and soft floor camper.

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
its a government plan put on them by the fuel manufacturers.

But govco and their corporate masters know they get more bang for their buck with petrol guzzling cars, more tax and a shorter life.

Ill not be buying a petrol powered vehicle again.
If there are any diesel left after govco panders to their multinational masters again.

Well if this is all so true..... why aren't they importing the tundra?
Far as i can see it only comes out in a V8 pertrol version...

(I could be slightly wrong, but i haven't found current model with a diesel)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:26:54 PM by callmejoe »
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..
The following users thanked this post: 4runnernomore

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2016, 02:01:16 PM »
Seems Nissan are the first manufacturer to throw in the towel with diesels for the obvious-
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/90816/euro-6-emissions-standards-what-do-they-mean-for-you
as if VW's sleight of hand wasn't the clear warning that manufacturer's are struggling to meet existing emission's standards

Australia doesn't rate in the big scheme of things and we'll just rubber stamp what the EU and California mandate and that's where the sales are.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2016, 02:55:45 PM »
And while you're keeping an eye on the expensive vac bag stuck up the exhaust pipe, keeping the EGR and inlet manifolds from choking up and looking out for water in the CRD injection system, remember not to pee in the tank-
http://www.fullyloaded.com.au/industry-news/1508/caution-on-mixing-up-diesel-and-adblue/

I get the impression Nissan have tossed it all in the too hard basket for good reason.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

AdrianLR

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2016, 08:40:26 PM »
Just back last night from our annual East Gippsland trip towing the Kavango (1.8T) with the Y62 (4 up with a boot full of stuff). The ease of the trip compared with the GU 3L with chip was astonishing. Cruise control at the speed limit up and down hills because I could (the GU either wouldn't do 110 up long stretches or in hills be so strained I felt sorry for it and slowed down), overtaking whenever required and the kids not complaining about being in the back seat once! Total trip 1582km with just over half towing. The rest was fast runs to shops and 200km of slow off road. The GU averaged 18.5 to 19 L/100km on similar trips. The Y62 - 16.95. Worst was the Melbourne -  Bairnsdale freeway into a headwind (but still at the 100/110 speed limit) at 18.2; towing with hills (100km), fast runs plus off road 16.5; return towing 16.93. The tank is 140L so range is at least 769km based on the 18.2. All distances are GPS.

Love this car!!

scrapsD40

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2016, 08:46:40 PM »

Just back last night from our annual East Gippsland trip towing the Kavango (1.8T) with the Y62 (4 up with a boot full of stuff). The ease of the trip compared with the GU 3L with chip was astonishing. Cruise control at the speed limit up and down hills because I could (the GU either wouldn't do 110 up long stretches or in hills be so strained I felt sorry for it and slowed down), overtaking whenever required and the kids not complaining about being in the back seat once! Total trip 1582km with just over half towing. The rest was fast runs to shops and 200km of slow off road. The GU averaged 18.5 to 19 L/100km on similar trips. The Y62 - 16.95. Worst was the Melbourne -  Bairnsdale freeway into a headwind (but still at the 100/110 speed limit) at 18.2; towing with hills (100km), fast runs plus off road 16.5; return towing 16.93. The tank is 140L so range is at least 769km based on the 18.2. All distances are GPS.

Love this car!!
noice, gotta love your Nissan

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2016, 09:06:16 PM »

Pretty similar to what I'm finding with my 62. 

Love this car!!

Offline hempo

• Tent User
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2016, 09:41:44 AM »
I'm so jealous.  A few more years until I can consider getting one unless I want a divorce
2016 Holden Colorado LS Cab Chassis with 2011 Jimboomba Condamine Camper Trailer

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »
I don't care, I'd still love a 5.0-litre turbo diesel V8 producing around 230kW and 750Nm in standard trim

Standard trim.... Hmmm...
No doubt in USA there'd be kits to allow 300-350rwkw and more NM for towing and still economical...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2016, 10:52:25 AM »
I'm so jealous.  A few more years until I can consider getting one unless I want a divorce

Divorce is not such a bad thing !!!    ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »
I don't care, I'd still love a 5.0-litre turbo diesel V8 producing around 230kW and 750Nm in standard trim

Standard trim.... Hmmm...
No doubt in USA there'd be kits to allow 300-350rwkw and more NM for towing and still economical...

That's because you've never driven a twin turbo V8 petrol  :P
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....