Author Topic: Xtrail Camper Trailers closed  (Read 38328 times)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
Re: Xtrail Camper Trailers closed
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 05:00:04 PM »

it's only a poor financial choice if you buy something cheap thinking you will re-sell it for only a small loss, or will easily re-sell it in any market (ie it is desirable) - if you buy cheapo and expect to keep it long enough to satisfy your outlay (and it does everything you need it to), then its a great financial choice - is it not?

No its still a poor financial choice.  You have just justified the purchase to yourself of a new one over a second hand one.

I cop flak for bagging out the chinese choice and am happy to cop it.  The reality is that across the entire manufacturing industry we have embraced cheap and new over quality and it kills our industry.  Its not the only reason but a big one. 

The point, in this discussion, is that if a quality Aussie CT does not sell, despite people being pointed towards it, shows there is an issue.  Its not to reignite the whole debate..
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 06:24:52 PM »

Like any business you need to change and adapt to the market. Sadly a lot didn't and closed. You cannot keep selling the same style and keep increasing the prices and sell the product.

As mentioned the expensive brands of camper are selling but the sub $15k and $10k range has a lot of competition. If the market is too competitive you need to look at designing and market a style that will attract the buyers.

Sadly a lot of manufactures are not clever marketers. That's their downfall.

Regarding resale value. That does not concern me. I buy a product to use and enjoy. If I had to sell I accept what some one is willing to pay on the day. I own the product, the product does not own me.

Mark

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 06:56:38 PM »
That sounds great in theory.... But in reality....,  please point me in the direction of the 2nd hand Aussie made hardfloor camper with, stove/sink, fridge slides, toolbox, water tank etc for $14k

I reckon you could get this down to under 14k

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33722.0

Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »
I reckon you could get this down to under 14k

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33722.0

Yep, I reckon you could but its a soft top isn't it?

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »
Touché   ;D ;D
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 07:34:40 PM »
No its still a poor financial choice.  You have just justified the purchase to yourself of a new one over a second hand one.

I cop flak for bagging out the chinese choice and am happy to cop it.  The reality is that across the entire manufacturing industry we have embraced cheap and new over quality and it kills our industry.  Its not the only reason but a big one. 

The point, in this discussion, is that if a quality Aussie CT does not sell, despite people being pointed towards it, shows there is an issue.  Its not to reignite the whole debate..

As opposed to justifying buying a 6/7 year old aussie CT or imported Prado etc just because its not Chinese?

I can buy a brand new Great Wall diesel 4x4 auto with sunroof for less than half a brand new Prado base model, or about the same as a 8 odd yr old prado with over 100ks on the clock.
 I bought a second hand X5 a couple years back, and when I went to sell it, no one was interested until I dropped the price well below what I thought it was worth.  It took me a year of listing it for me to drop the price to a selling point that soemeone was interested.
That's my point - if something isn't selling, it's not value for money in the eyes of prospective buyers.
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 07:56:54 PM »
ITS NOT BECAUSE ITS CHINESE!

The conversation is about aussie CT places closing down.
I suggest its because of all the imports flooding the market and people buying them instead of quality used Aussie ones.

And in my opinion - it makes more sense to buy a used QUALITY unit for $6k than a new similar less quality import.  And BMW depreciate like crap - Toyota does not.  Simple. 

Dont forget to post how much you sell the Great Wall at sales time.  You did buy it, surely?

Offline Campa

• Hard Floor Camper User
Xtrail Camper Trailers closed
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 08:21:03 PM »
Like any business you need to change and adapt to the market. Sadly a lot didn't and closed. You cannot keep selling the same style and keep increasing the prices and sell the product.

As mentioned the expensive brands of camper are selling but the sub $15k and $10k range has a lot of competition. If the market is too competitive you need to look at designing and market a style that will attract the buyers.

Sadly a lot of manufactures are not clever marketers. That's their downfall.

The higher priced market should be watching over there shoulder too.
The Chinese manufactures have healthy market share of the lower price market, there now chasing the higher priced market.
Its going to be interesting to see if the new Chinese manufactured off road vans  such as those from MDC will have much of an impact  on the Australian manufactured ones from AOC ect. Maybe not straight away but eventually they will. Very sad indeed.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:26:01 PM by Campa »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:49 AM »
Quote from: McGirr
As mentioned the expensive brands of camper are selling
They are selling, but I'm betting not at the same #s they were 3 years ago now that theres so many Lucky Dung hardfloors showing up
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline dirtpilot

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 04:29:09 PM »
Look at the latest 4x4 mag. There is a test on the Patriot camper. Looks like a X Trail right down to the army star and color.

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
ITS NOT BECAUSE ITS CHINESE!

The conversation is about aussie CT places closing down.
I suggest its because of all the imports flooding the market and people buying them instead of quality used Aussie ones.

And in my opinion - it makes more sense to buy a used QUALITY unit for $6k than a new similar less quality import.  And BMW depreciate like crap - Toyota does not.  Simple. 

Dont forget to post how much you sell the Great Wall at sales time.  You did buy it, surely?

No need to shout.

I feel we'll qualified to have an opinion on your comment, as I have been researching my first CT purchase for 4mths. Now, I have a budget and a list of requirements like everyone.
We aren't all dummies rushing to buy any old Chinese tripe that is offered to the market. After lots and lots of research, I'm definitely buying an Aussie 2nd hand camper, as i think i would be able to sell it quicker if required, and it all i can afford (as we may not end up loving camping enough to justify it sitting in the garage).

But you're missing the point, perhaps purposely?  If I buy a Great Wall, I accept that it's a cheap car with poor resale, but I have saved all that lost resale value upfront. Same with the CT.
I bought the Prado, because I could afford to and I wanted it, but for significantly less outlay I could still do everything I wanted to with the Great Wall. But if I tried to sell the prado in 5yrs with over 100ks on the clock for near what I bought it, it's not going to sell is it?

Just to blow your value comment out of the water, a new prado grande costs about 90k?? I got a 3yr old with 60ks for 50. So, a 40k loss for the original owner. Ouch.
Great Wall at 30k - are you suggesting I would need to pay someone at least 10k to take the car off me if I sold in 3yrs?????? (Jokes aside of course!!)

Whilst it has to be true that imported CTs have impacted the local market, imported everything has impacted every Aussie manufacturing market. People buy what they perceive is value for money, and many people obviously aren't seeing the value in locally made CTs. And just like me, many people don't see the value in a brand new aussie CT, and whilst still have the option of brand new Chinese, will still go for 2nd hand Aussie, but its a close call....

Offline Darren253

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 09:05:57 PM »
[quote author=Mik01 link=topic=34675.msg551937#msg551937 date=1389954485
Just to blow your value comment out of the water, a new prado grande costs about 90k?? I got a 3yr old with 60ks for 50. So, a 40k loss for the original owner. Ouch.
Great Wall at 30k - are you suggesting I would need to pay someone at least 10k to take the car off me if I sold in 3yrs??????
[/quote]

I traded a 3.5yr old Prado 2010 TD GXL 150 the has been sold by the dealer for 13 less than I paid for it brand new. Less than 4k per year is pretty cheap motoring for a 60k car IMO.
2013 LC200 Altitude
2014 CC Exodus 14

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 09:19:44 PM »

Just to blow you value comment out of the water, I doubt anybody pays RRP

I paid 55 for mine, 60+ list, it's worth 45 now, not bad for a 5 year old Prado...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 10:18:55 PM »

No need to shout.

Whilst it has to be true that imported CTs have impacted the local market, imported everything has impacted every Aussie manufacturing market. People buy what they perceive is value for money, and many people obviously aren't seeing the value in locally made CTs. And just like me, many people don't see the value in a brand new aussie CT, and whilst still have the option of brand new Chinese, will still go for 2nd hand Aussie, but its a close call....

Phew.  Finally you get what I was referring to.  Apologies for yelling but that was the only way I could get you to understand.

Glad we could agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
This country IMO is rooted. We are no longer a proud country looking out for our fellow Aussie's, we've mostly become the Smith's or  Jones's  with the majority hell bent on having everything new, latest and greatest and for as little as possibly outlay or effort. This is multiplied largely by the huge ses pit of multiculturalism that refuse to assimilate and think being an Aussie is to run around waving a Chinese made Aussie flag on Australia day while chowing down on imported groceries. How many of those over payed "IMO" holden workers mentioned earlier drive holdens ?   Not to mention a stupid government that's handed over good money after bad to them without even acquiring a discounted fleet in return.
Go to Germany and have a look in the VW or BMW car park, I bet it's better than 80% full of cars the workers have produced. I use this as an example as someone mentioned the similarities between the counties.
Aussie business should also be a little prouder, looking to support other fellow Aussie's in manufacturing and supply not just becoming middle men passing on imported crap marked up while leasing a Prado or 200series to negate paying "some" tax. IMO as a country we should only be buying things from OS that can't be built or built to the same standards here and the government of this great land should be doing something to bolster this.
"AUSTRALIA" no longer the proud country. Now the, i want it, and I want it now country.
Just like credit. Buy now and the country pay's later,  Australia's becoming a consumption whore. Buy it, use it and throw it away and saying it was good value.

With aussie day just around the corner, do the country/your kids future a favor. Be proud to pay too much and buy something truly Australian, if you can find something other than some fruit, veg or meat.  lol

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »
we've mostly become the Smith's or  Jones's 

Smiths in your case ;D
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline BLKWDW

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »
I blame 4wd action. The amount of rubbish chinese stuff they advertise kills me. I know its a money game but stump up for the aussie companies would they for once. lol. I couldnt afford a chinese or aussie made camper so bought an aussie made trailer to start with instead. The days for local manufacturing in aus are numbered. Be prepared for the throw it away age now as the chinese stuff iis so cheap why bother fixing it buy a new one.

Offline 02-SR5

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 11:40:32 AM »
I blame 4wd action. The amount of rubbish chinese stuff they advertise kills me. I know its a money game but stump up for the aussie companies would they for once. lol. I couldnt afford a chinese or aussie made camper so bought an aussie made trailer to start with instead. The days for local manufacturing in aus are numbered. Be prepared for the throw it away age now as the chinese stuff iis so cheap why bother fixing it buy a new one.

They use to flog either ARB, then flog TJM.

Then the owner of EMG got greedy, and pissed off a lot of local sponsors and started flogging imported crap, to prove, you don't need to spend big money to go bush.

But the way they flog it now, "you can't tow unless you have a chip and zorst from Roo", to drive at night, you must have at least 3 x 24 inch Led light bard from Roo Systems. You will also have to fit an aftermarket suspension from Raw. Then if you want to keep your beer cold, you must use the new Waceo CFX range, because some dill on the beach said so.

I got burnt by them buying a camper they use to flog (no names due to their legal advisors) and it was the biggest POS ever to hit the road.

They are nothing more than a cash grab selling crap, reusing stories and photos.

My mate attended one of their camper trailer tag alongs. They chose 5 trucks with couples, families and singles. Each truck got to tow a camper from different manufacturers over a 10 day period from Fraser Island to Yapoon.

They have used his Patrol in all sorts of adverts, photo,s and everything in between. That was over 4 years ago. No permission from the owner. Just re-run the same photos.

Christ, they even used a photo of my car to endorse a Bridgstone tyre, great, but mine is fitted with Mickey Thompson tyres.

Unfortunately, we no longer have access to any decent 4wd, camping, touring magazines anymore.

I now buy the US imported modified 4wd magazines if I need something to read.
2011 Challenger with some mods

2012 Lifestyle Explorer

Offline moseyroc

• Tent User
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 04:38:49 PM »
Bang on the money Dazzler, thats why we bought a second hand CUB. Hasn't let us down & its done some rough offroad trips, which is what we bought it for. I wouldn't want to travel worrying about something breaking on the trailer all the time. We saw two people with chinese import trailers get damage coming out of the exit of the creek at Gunshot (They came down through slingshot) in September this year.not especially rough/difficult either. They said the trailers were cheap & they expected problems, I told them what we paid for our second hand CUB & they were suprised. We saw them again in Bamaga & the trailers were damaged further, they had to wait in Bamaga for repairs, & take extra spares for the trip back down the Dev road. I cant see any enjoyment in that situation, especially when you've got kids.
80 series TD & 2002 Cub Drover

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2014, 05:50:48 PM »
Quote from: 02-SR5
But the way they flog it now, "you can't tow unless you have a chip and zorst from Roo", to drive at night, you must have at least 3 x 24 inch Led light bard from Roo Systems.
They own Roo systems and Tigerz now... thus why that is the best Shit on the planet.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2014, 05:52:11 PM »
It's got nothing to do with 4wd action or multiculturalism(big stretch of a bow ever to randomly rant) it's a global economy now. Australia was traditionally isolated by distance giving us a very sheltered supply and demand economy. Now with an easily accessed global marketplace the old norms are out the window

Offline moseyroc

• Tent User
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
The more everyone is educated about the garbage we are being flooded with, the better. Its simply disgraceful. You get what you pay for, shop around wisely.
80 series TD & 2002 Cub Drover

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2014, 07:20:51 PM »
Phew.  Finally you get what I was referring to.  Apologies for yelling but that was the only way I could get you to understand.

Glad we could agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure mate. Sarcasm doesn't become you.
But if you want to be a smart arse about it, I can play too.
I can tell from your response you realise what an arse you are making of yourself by trashing imported products and not understanding the simple process of depreciation. Particularly when you have a Jap car sitting in the garage.

New Aussie CTs just aren't value for money, as evidenced by the many manufacturers going out of business. That's because consumers can get the same or similar for less. If its not china, it would be from elsewhere.
Good luck to you.

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2014, 07:23:56 PM »
Just to blow you value comment out of the water, I doubt anybody pays RRP

I paid 55 for mine, 60+ list, it's worth 45 now, not bad for a 5 year old Prado...

Ummm, so he might have paid 85k??? What's your point? That's still 35k loss. My point is still well and truly proven.

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »
[quote author=Mik01 link=topic=34675.msg551937#msg551937 date=1389954485
Great Wall at 30k - are you suggesting I would need to pay someone at least 10k to take the car off me if I sold in 3yrs??????

I traded a 3.5yr old Prado 2010 TD GXL 150 the has been sold by the dealer for 13 less than I paid for it brand new. Less than 4k per year is pretty cheap motoring for a 60k car IMO.

You traded it for 13 less, or the dealer on-sold it for 13 less?? Big difference