Author Topic: Freedom after 47 Years of Work  (Read 9511 times)

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
Freedom after 47 Years of Work
« on: November 30, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »
After 47 years of work that consisted of 4 different jobs in that time I am now finally free and planning to start travelling with my wife in the new year.  I have 10 months long service leave and at the end of that I officially retire. 

I felt a little apprehensive yesterday when I handed back all the passes, ID's and other crap that you need to work with these days but today its like a burden has been taken off me and am feeling good about it. 

I guess you could say its the first day of the reast of my life. Now to start wearing out the landcruiser and camper trailer while crossing Australia.

Trevor ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Freedom after 47 Years of Work
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »
Good on you mate, we can't wait for the same day.  Hope you have a ball, but you'll never wear out a Landcruiser  ;D , keep us posted on your travels  :cheers:

Cheers
jk
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 11:05:16 AM »
Good onya Trevor.

Live life to the fullest now that you have time to enjoy it.

Happy travels.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
After 47 years of work that consisted of 4 different jobs in that time I am now finally free and planning to start travelling with my wife in the new year.  I have 10 months long service leave and at the end of that I officially retire. 

I felt a little apprehensive yesterday when I handed back all the passes, ID's and other crap that you need to work with these days but today its like a burden has been taken off me and am feeling good about it. 

I guess you could say its the first day of the reast of my life. Now to start wearing out the landcruiser and camper trailer while crossing Australia.

Trevor ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

You forgot to mention spending more time on myswag and increasing your post count.

Congratulations.

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:18:59 AM »
Congrats and enjoy!
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline drrnadms

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
Good on you Trevor, you worked hard all those years you deserve your retirement and all the fun that come with it. Enjoy the next 30 plus years of fun.

cheers, Darren  :police:
Drive to survive.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:32:57 AM »
Congratulations!
I am approaching my first 12 months of not working; I mean not working in the general work force.  :police:
I still work. Clean, cook, mow, relax, water yard, mow, relax, travel, mow, relax. My wife still works, well she has to get keep me!  ;D
But looking forward to when she finishes in a few years. Then a lot more travelling.
It does take a bit to get use to. Just basically doing what you like, when you want to. It is hard work!  :laugh:
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Online austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »
Hi,
   I retired nearly 2 years ago, still do my little 'happy dance' every morning when I think about NOT going to work with all the lemmings on the main road.
Mind you I now wonder how I ever found time to go to work, and the list of 'Honey doos' keeps growing, but NOW it is MY time and I do things as I want and in the order I feel like doing them (or not).
Enjoy life now as you never could before.
cheers

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 12:16:58 PM »
 Nice "work" Trev!
I'm on the count down, only 7 months from tomorrow.
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2007 Navara D40 2.5TD - wife's shopping trolley
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Congrats!! Can't wait for that day to come myself!

Keep us posted with your travels!

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »
Well done, 47 years you've earned it.
I'm sure you'll put your new found time to good use. Look forward to hearing how your spending it.
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »
I did that in April ... Got asked back in September - "Just 3 days Steve - Just to help us out mate please !!! "

Yeah OK says I -- So now I temp 2-3 days a week and play Solar and Camper for the other 4-5 days !!

Aint life grand !!!

Cheers

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 02:42:07 PM »
Well done Trev. You will love it.
Now you can start planning that Kimberly trip.

Trevor

Offline hookedon4wding

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My Videos
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 02:55:27 PM »
Great work and well deserved by the sound of it. I'm a way off yet but am already dreaming of the day.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Sam.

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 04:45:24 PM »
Congratulations areyonga, but I have a question for those that have or are about to embark on retiring.

I'm in my late 30's, so I have a long way to go before I retire, but I always think of the day that I will retire. I couldn't think of anything better than not working  ;D.  I'm kinda hoping it will be a joyful time in my life when I eventually get to that stage of life.  I guess the question I'm asking is whether retirement is as good as it's made out to be?

Silly question, I know.  But I ask this because a few guys I work with are nearing retirement, and some don't seem happy that's it's around the corner.  This includes my own father.  He was always saying he'd retire at 55, then 60, now he's 65 and he's still working.  It's not to do with money, as he has enough to retire comfortably, but it's almost like he's apprehensive about hanging up the tools and leaving the work force for good.  Like if he's not working, he's not contributing.  The other guys at work that are nearing retirement age have said they'll continue working because they will be bored if they don't work.

I'm not sure I've articulated very well my point, but for those that understand where I'm coming from, would love to hear your thoughts.  Sorry for going off topic areyonga!     

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:40 PM »
Must be an awesome feeling knowing that u dont have to grind it out day after day after day.......
Personally...i think i would have to do some type of casual work....Gigalo perhaps :-[
No..serioulsy.... i have a few years and a few lotto ticket purchases before i  contemplate retirement....

Offline Janbo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Jayco Eagle - Jeep Cherokee KK
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »
Well done, I hope you have many years of happy retirement!!!!!
We are all in the gutter....... But some of us are looking at the stars!!

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »
Firstly, areyonga ya lucky b@stard. I'm more than green with envy.

At 54 I've changed in less than 5 years from a position where I couldn't imagine not having a job and not wanting to retire at all, to a position where I'd go tomorrow if I could resolve two problems.  The first is my fear of not having a regular income to rely on. And the second is not having enough funds to last me the next 30 odd years.   :'(

But I'm stunned at how quickly I've changed my tune.

areyonga if you see a Graphite 200 Series pulling a Quantum in early March, heading towards Araluen, give us a toot.  We'll be on our way to Melbourne (via Araluen) for Mrs T to play Grandma (or Nanna Liz to be precise) and to see my son & heir get married.   :D
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »
Congratulations areyonga, but I have a question for those that have or are about to embark on retiring.

I'm in my late 30's, so I have a long way to go before I retire, but I always think of the day that I will retire. I couldn't think of anything better than not working  ;D.  I'm kinda hoping it will be a joyful time in my life when I eventually get to that stage of life.  I guess the question I'm asking is whether retirement is as good as it's made out to be?

Silly question, I know.  But I ask this because a few guys I work with are nearing retirement, and some don't seem happy that's it's around the corner.  This includes my own father.  He was always saying he'd retire at 55, then 60, now he's 65 and he's still working.  It's not to do with money, as he has enough to retire comfortably, but it's almost like he's apprehensive about hanging up the tools and leaving the work force for good.  Like if he's not working, he's not contributing.  The other guys at work that are nearing retirement age have said they'll continue working because they will be bored if they don't work.

I think everyone is different. Some people don't have much in their life apart from work, these people tend to get bored when they retire, sit in a chair and winge. Other people are very active, eg. camping, gardening, golf, fishing, bike riding etc. You get the idea. These are the people that say "don't know how I found the time to go to work".
As for me, I always said I would retire at 55, ended up doing it at 51 and have not regretted it for one moment. Believe me if you plan for it you just love getting up in the morning and saying, "what will I do today, might go camping for a few days.
One last thing, weekends, what are they?.
Save, plan and enjoy life.

Trevor

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:42:28 PM by Wandering Tassie »

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 06:38:44 PM »

I'm not sure I've articulated very well my point, but for those that understand where I'm coming from, would love to hear your thoughts.  Sorry for going off topic areyonga!     
rotare
I think you asked the question well, for retirement you need to plan as its a life change and to some it can seem daunting and those people will generally stay with what they are comfortable with, keep on working.  Its no good retiring if your going to do nothing, thats the quickest way to die.  In hindesite I wish I had retired 10 years ago when my health was a bit better as there are more things I would like to have done but its now or never.

As for your father, he possibly doesnt have an ambition to travel or do something different than his work and therefore its easier to just stay doing what he possibly likes, and there is nothing wrong with that if thats what he is happy with.  Maybe youneed to introduce him to something else and he might change his mind.   For your question is retirement as good as its made out to be, only you can answer that for yourself as everyone has a different agends on what they propose to do with it.

Myself, I want the change, to do something for myself in my own time with no, of few strings attached and travelling the country is it.  I dont want the cities, just the remote areas and solitude of nature at its best.

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 06:45:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies, they are gratefully received and I will keep the forum up to date on my travels,  and Trevor I am well into the Kimberley planning but with all the people I know off that are going up there this year I think I might have to book some travel time on the road as it will be bumper to bumper.

Trevor

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 07:37:53 PM »
Good luck, Trevor. I am counting down to end of June next year!!

Mal

Offline monahanajj

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Landcruiser Prado, YES, it's a Landcruiser....
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »
Cruiser - wear out???  They are like a well made shotgun - they only wear in mate :cheers:

Cheers to you and thanks for all those taxes you paid keeping our roads, medical and education system running....

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein "...Such as a Landcruiser..." Me

Offline ralphedward

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 07:45:31 PM »
Enjoy mate, just enjoy - remember when you were a kid, just how easy life was?  Remember whilst bringing up your kids how much you wished it was so much easier to teach them about responsibility!  This phase of your life is meant to give them a practical lesson on responsibility with you as the main subject of irresponsibility! 
SWMBO made me do it (whatever it was I did)!
VW Amarok & 'Cooper' the Tambo.

Offline Blueroo

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 07:50:31 PM »
Good on you Trevor,
I still have about 6 years to go. I reckon by then the Cruiser will be just as keen to go bush as my wife and I.
Enjoy your travels, we'll keep the taxes coming in for a while so the roads are nice and smooth.
 :cheers:
Stue