Author Topic: Hardfloor camper upgrade to jayco pros and cons  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Nugget86

• Learning the Ropes
Hardfloor camper upgrade to jayco pros and cons
« on: March 26, 2017, 11:49:36 PM »
Hi we have offroad hardfloor camper trailer wondering if we should upgrade and get a jayco finch/dove or coromal camper trailer we have a 2 yr old and 8 month old. Just after a few pros and cons or if anyone has done the same and are happy with the switch.  Any info or advice would be much appreciated cheers.

Offline mynance

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Hardfloor camper upgrade to jayco pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:06:40 AM »
Both still have canvas, both have to be set up.

There is a lot of room in the Jayco campers and Jayco go above and beyond any other van for customer service and warranty.

Goldstream look the part as well and seem of good quality.
Coromal and Golf are questionable quality.

I have a full size off road van but used to have an Avan Cruiseliner and would not recommend them as not really suited for children and quality issues.

Myles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NT Pajero Avan Cruiseliner

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »
We haven't done the same, but I think the biggest difference is being able to cook inside rather than outside, this can be nice if you're in horrible weather or swarms of flies and mozzies etc.

Disadvantage is perhaps not being able to go as far off the beaten track and also having to tow and store something bigger / heavier.

If you think it's going to be the best suitable thing for this stage of your lives then go for it.
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 11:43:45 AM »
Strongest build Jayco Outback Finch & Doves were built between 2002-2005.
We had a 02 OB Finch which I think would be big enough for your family and small enough to get around in.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?action=profile;u=57189;area=showposts;start=75      #78
Like any camper, mod's are limited to your finances but there are a few relatively cheap ones that will make life in the Finch or Dove more pleasant.

These are my pro's & Con's but some may have different views

My Con's
with the Jayco pop ups is you cant access stove, sink or fridge unless set up. Hard floors generally have pull out kitchens. Some do modify pop ups with a slide out kitchen.
East/West bed for couples are not my favourite, ok for singles.
All though there are plenty of cupboards, there is limited usable space in them.
You must dust proof these campers.

My Pro's
Swinging entry door  :cup:
Can cook inside but only in bad weather
Roof vent
Table, chairs & lounge which turns into a single bed.
Higher ground clearance
Safety bed nets, stop the little ones falling out.
Easy to insulate bed ends from the cold with portable insulation
The OB Finch is approx 1000kgs when loaded

These are just a few that we found.

:cheers:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:52:11 AM by cruiser 91 »
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:54:36 AM »
If I was stuck inside a pop up with my kids I'd neck myself. Personally I think you have the best of both worlds with a hard floor, and a big annexe for where you'd rather be. Unless you only go to van parks and plug in, in which case a full sized van with air con would be high on the list. Everyone is different though, and that is why there are so many options, but going from a hard floor to a pop up is never an upgrade in my view.
The following users thanked this post: loanrangie

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »
Quote from: GBC
If I was stuck inside a pop up with my kids I'd neck myself. Personally I think you have the best of both worlds with a hard floor, and a big annexe for where you'd rather be
I wouldnt think it would be much difference.. Van with awning, or Trailer with awning - either way if the weather is Shit your stuck inside and you get wet setting up awning, although some of those van awnings that just roll off the side look pretty appealing.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »
I wouldnt think it would be much difference.. Van with awning, or Trailer with awning - either way if the weather is Shit your stuck inside and you get wet setting up awning, although some of those van awnings that just roll off the side look pretty appealing.
Pop up awnings are barely 8m2. My hard floor awning is 15 m2. The lack of genuine outdoor amenity in a pop top is the main reason why we didn't buy one. They are obviously popular, but we just couldn't make ourselves like them, we only want to go inside to sleep though. Even when we hired a 21 ft van for 3 years running we were hardly ever inside.
Those roll out van awnings have to be rolled away just when you need them the most, and by the time you tie them down, peg out the legs, install the curved rafters, then install the walls and deflappers they have saved you no time - I thought the same as you until I tried one - easy peasy when you don't really need them, quite a bit more involved in inclement weather.

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 02:14:48 PM »
Not trying to downplay the Jaycos as I haven't owned one, but in our travels we have seen two of them being towed back to civilisation with canvas flapping all round due to their inability to wind the lid back down. Maybe it is an easy fix if you know how, but it must have been a real bummer for the families we saw.

I am sure hard floors have issues to, but the two above stood out.

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »
The sleeping arrangements is enough to stop me from getting a jayco/ other style pop up, as GBC said the awnings/annexe is generally some length as the body so that limits the room a bit. Once my kids get a bit older they will be migrating to their own tents so then it might be more appealing, in saying that going from a soft floor to a hard floor may be enough.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:27:50 PM »
We have a soft floor as well as a Goldstream Wing1 & the softy has a larger under cover area when fully set up but takes a lot longer to do so. We have a gazebo to add to the Goldie shade area which takes about 5 mins extra to set up.
The BIG difference is storage. The Goldie has several cupboards, drawers & a pantry. A lot more stowage than a soft/hard floor. Plus 12v/240v which may be a factor with little tackers.
Our softy will obviously go more gnarly places but, in reality, how often are you going to do that?
Some pics.
Good luck with it.
Steve

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:30:46 PM by Steffo1 »
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"