Author Topic: NSW Fires  (Read 95432 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: NSW Fires
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2019, 10:51:32 AM »
Weve had the Black Snow here recently too ..
Farmers are fairly restricted and controled with their  burns, only burning small or larger sections at a time when conditions allow, and there is usualy a decent buffer from other combustables ...
Also from what I gather the ash material  being so light and thin burns out quickly / dosnt hold heat  and continue  burning like heavier tree  embers do .
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 10:55:00 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2019, 10:52:08 AM »
Give this a go:
http://arcg.is/1PjK9

As you've already said, the QLD fire information data contextualisation is a problem, this might help a bit.

Thanks Ed.

So where QFES shows fire data at an area, but there is no hotspot shown, what does that mean ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #202 on: November 17, 2019, 10:59:00 AM »
Thanks Ed.

So where QFES shows fire data at an area, but there is no hotspot shown, what does that mean ???
This maybe of some use.
https://hotspots.dea.ga.gov.au/
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2019, 11:33:22 AM »
Thanks Ed.

This maybe of some use.

That's the source of the hotspot data, so their explanations are better than I could ever manage.

If there's no hotspots from the last 72hrs I'd say they're just damping down.

One of the good things with the QLD info is that they at least give you idea of the size of the response and how many are there or in the way.

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2019, 11:43:50 AM »

This maybe of some use.

That's the source of the hotspot data, so their explanations are better than I could ever manage.

If there's no hotspots from the last 72hrs I'd say they're just damping down.

One of the good things with the QLD info is that they at least give you idea of the size of the response and how many are there or in the way.

Another useful tool along the sane lines.
This shows the age of the fire.
https://sentinel.ga.gov.au/#/

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »

Another useful tool along the sane lines.
This shows the age of the fire.
https://sentinel.ga.gov.au/#/

Just had a quick look - Sentinel shows the age of the fire, whilst the Digital Earth Australia shows the age and the confidence of the detection.

I've dropped Sentinel in as well, so people can choose between the 2. It still defaults to the DEA ones first, but you can switch that layer on easily enough.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:08:07 PM by Paddler Ed »

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2019, 01:27:34 PM »
I flick between several links, each has it's purpose.
The Windy app is also useful.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2019, 09:12:09 AM »
A good friend has just spent two days helping those effected in Nymboida.
She liked it to the black & white films of the Great War, completely void of any colour other than different shades of Black & Grey.
Our ex club president lives at Kangaroo Creek, I spoke with him yesterday, he said the same thing.
He also mentioned that the mapping of the fires(Fires Near Me App) is pretty well spot on,
They both mentioned that peoples spirits are high, they are thankful for all that they have and the support that they are receiving from strangers.
A friend has driven from Logan with a convoy of cars/4wd/trailers with feed for animals, live stock and supplies for people who have lost everything.
One trailer was full of baby wipes, because some have lost their water tanks.
Hmmm,
It's going to be long road for many.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #209 on: November 18, 2019, 02:06:34 PM »
AND JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT COULDNT GET ANY MORE RIDICULOUS....

'Lunacy': Thousands of firefighters could be banned
Sarah McPhee

The deadline is looming for Queensland Fire and Emergency Services volunteers to apply for a Blue Card to work with children.

Thousands of firefighters could reportedly be banned from battling blazes if they fail to get their applications in by December 1, 2019.

“Any QFES volunteer who is required to have a Blue Card, but refuses to apply for one, or is unable to hold a current Blue Card, will not be able to continue their role,” deputy commissioner John Bolger has told volunteers, The Courier Mail reports.

“As a member of the Rural Fire Service, you are likely to come into contact with children while performing your role, so are required to have a Blue Card. It is the law.’’

Picture: Rob Maccoll/AAP

The Rural Fire Brigades Association Queensland says "the lunacy of bureaucracy" will see 86 per cent of the 22,000 members sacked in the New Year "in Blue Card round 1".

The RFBAQ is calling on Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to halt the Blue Card imposition.

"If 86 per cent of Rural Fire Brigade members aren’t complying with your policy, then the overwhelming majority of the brigade membership do not see that this as a requirement, rather a matter of choice," the RFBAQ said last month.

Only a quarter of the state's rural firefighters have reportedly applied.

Picture: Bronwyn Wheatcroft

According to the Queensland Government website, last updated on October 17, Queensland Ambulance Service and Queensland Police Service officers do not need a Blue Card if they are working within their professional capacity.

It states the working-with-children checks are required for anyone providing a "health service" at a place that requires physical contact with a child, or that is provided "while no one else is physically present".

Opposition emergency services spokesman, Lachlan Millar, said the state was facing a "mass exodus".

“If 18,000 rural firefighters hand their badges in over this then the lives of Queenslanders will be put at risk,” he said in a statement on October 23.

The Blue Card application is free for volunteers.

QFES has been contacted for comment.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #210 on: November 18, 2019, 02:58:17 PM »
Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The following users thanked this post: rags

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2019, 03:08:39 PM »
My card application is being processed, they won't issue or even process PPE orders  without it.

It took a couple of hours as I'm out of the state and the QRFS didn't process the forms correctly, just forwarded them to the Bluecard processing centre, so they came back, then I had to chase down a JP as people that are employed by the federal government and deemed suitable to witness forms for them, aren't deemed suitable by the Qld Government ??? , so that took another couple of hours.

Anyway, I think it was something that seemed like a good idea in a committee, but does the grumpy old bugger from down the road that doesn't turn up to recruiting displays, fund raisers or talk to the public at all, but is willing to turn up to training, roll the truck out of the shed 2am and stand on the end of a hose for 12 hrs really need a blue card?

It wasn't a major inconvenience as my workshop is closing down so we're just packing stuff away and I have access to copier/scanner. But for others its a pain in the bum; scanning forms, getting suitable witnesses, posting stuff in, getting it sent back, and thats assuming that old mate that is an absolute work horse on the fire ground and has a wealth of experience to offer can actually read....

People volunteer to do this stuff in their spare time, they don't need to spend more of their spare time remaining compliant with rules that someone thought were a good idea at the time, yet most can't see adding to capability whatsoever, the more hurdles you put in front, the fewer could be bothered even turning up to the start line.
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2019, 03:38:22 PM »
My card application is being processed, they won't issue or even process PPE orders  without it.

It took a couple of hours as I'm out of the state and the QRFS didn't process the forms correctly, just forwarded them to the Bluecard processing centre, so they came back, then I had to chase down a JP as people that are employed by the federal government and deemed suitable to witness forms for them, aren't deemed suitable by the Qld Government ??? , so that took another couple of hours.

Anyway, I think it was something that seemed like a good idea in a committee, but does the grumpy old bugger from down the road that doesn't turn up to recruiting displays, fund raisers or talk to the public at all, but is willing to turn up to training, roll the truck out of the shed 2am and stand on the end of a hose for 12 hrs really need a blue card?

It wasn't a major inconvenience as my workshop is closing down so we're just packing stuff away and I have access to copier/scanner. But for others its a pain in the bum; scanning forms, getting suitable witnesses, posting stuff in, getting it sent back, and thats assuming that old mate that is an absolute work horse on the fire ground and has a wealth of experience to offer can actually read....

People volunteer to do this stuff in their spare time, they don't need to spend more of their spare time remaining compliant with rules that someone thought were a good idea at the time, yet most can't see adding to capability whatsoever, the more hurdles you put in front, the fewer could be bothered even turning up to the start line.

Yep.. its the sort of bullShit that turns people away.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2019, 05:21:36 PM »
It is total BS. If cardinals and the like can be pedifiles, why not the JP who signed off your eligibility for a blue card. The whole thing is built on a house of cards, ie PC gone mad ???
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #214 on: November 18, 2019, 05:29:49 PM »
The JP is just signing that the documents you're providing as proof of your identity look legit, but the background check that follows only shows convictions.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #215 on: November 18, 2019, 05:53:43 PM »
???
 ???
 ???

Just when you think it can't get worse.  :'(

What 2 bit snowflake numpty who obviously can't get a r00t, decided this would work???
And then when god forbid some wierdo freak does end up in the brigade, does he/she or whatever the hell frigged up made up crossed up gender "IT" thinks it is, accept liability cos their dip54it plan didn't actually work???

Far out, I need to go into recluse cos this is just doing my head in. >:(

Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #216 on: November 18, 2019, 06:47:24 PM »
WWC ( working with children check ) is a part of what i had to do with entering the Variety bash,as we work heavily with kids. Great that the government is trying to look after the kids welfare BUT............................

If someone who isnt known to police, hasnt been convicted and is inclined to want to interfere with kids can pass any WWC that is thrown at them.

See where i'm coming from?

Something to think about.

99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #217 on: November 18, 2019, 06:49:54 PM »
WWC just means they havent been convicted of child abuse doesnt it?

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #218 on: November 18, 2019, 06:51:51 PM »
WWC just means they havent been convicted of child abuse doesnt it?

Cheers Glen
Glen.

in a nut shell,yep.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #219 on: November 18, 2019, 07:06:15 PM »
The working with children checks (Blue cards in QLD) are mandatory in any organisation that has anything to do with kids, schools, churches, boy scouts, charities, any organisation that has anything to do with kids is required for its employees and volunteers to have them done.

I doesn't stop those who haven't been caught from being involved, but any system where those who have been are then still allowed to have contact with kids is woefully deficient.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #221 on: November 19, 2019, 06:32:25 AM »
The working with children checks (Blue cards in QLD) are mandatory in any organisation that has anything to do with kids, schools, churches, boy scouts, charities, any organisation that has anything to do with kids is required for its employees and volunteers to have them done.

I doesn't stop those who haven't been caught from being involved, but any system where those who have been are then still allowed to have contact with kids is woefully deficient.

Police ans emergency services dont require them....
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #222 on: November 19, 2019, 07:26:22 AM »
Police ans emergency services dont require them....

Police and emergency services undergo vetting checks as part of their recruitment qualifications.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2019, 07:34:39 AM »
Police and emergency services undergo vetting checks as part of their recruitment qualifications.

And that hasnt really helped.  Still lots of cops who get caught doing the wrong thing...

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2019, 04:50:11 PM »
This pic might give an idea of what country has been effected over the last few months.
And it's not over.