Author Topic: What recover/ safety equipment should I have ?  (Read 1973 times)

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
What recover/ safety equipment should I have ?
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:57:56 AM »
Make sure that all safety and recovery equipment is easy to get to in the event you need to use any of it. If you are not sure how to perform a recovery I recommended getting something like 4WDAction recovery DVD / magazine for the local newsagent for the $10 it will cost you it will pay for it’s self the first time you have to do any kind of recovery. This book / DVD covers most recovery situations and techniques and is a good place to start your self education.

First Aid kit
Goes with out saying. Should really live in the car.

Tyre gauge and compressor
The very first thing you should do be fore leaving home is check your tyre pressures. Once your about to hit the sand I would recommend lowering tyre pressures to a suitable level. Things to take into account will be weather / track conditions, tyre type and construction, your particular vehicle and the vehicle weight. Don’t forget to reinflate your tyres once your back on the black stuff.

Long handle shovel
This will allow you to self recover in the event you get bogged. How I hear you ask simply clear the sand from in front of your tyres in the direction you are going to try and drive out. Also check to see if you need to do the same for your diff ect.

Recovery points
If you don’t have any rated recovery points on your vehicle and trailer then recovering you will be near impossible using things like winches and snatch straps. Crawl under you vehicle and become familiar with where your recovery points are and how you would hook up recovery equipment to them. If you don’t have any I would highly recommend getting some before doing any sort of off road travel.

UHF radio
If you don’t have a vehicle mounted unit then a hand held unit is a must especially when driving in convoy, need to call for help or when you are taking part in a recovery situation. Even if you have a vehicle mounted unit a hand held unit can come in very handy for the above situations.

Snatch Strap / D shackles
Rated D shackles (4T+) and at least 1 snatch strap rated to suit your vehicles load. 11000lb is a good place to start for something towing a CT. Don't forget a cable dampener .... you should have one of these on any line under tention "ANY LINE".

yogi
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:06:27 PM by yogi »