Author Topic: HOME SOLAR WOES  (Read 5801 times)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: HOME SOLAR WOES
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2024, 01:45:55 PM »
Yep feedins are a joke, government got us to spend on rooftop solar to cut power bills now feedin tariffs are so low not worht exporting, in
the near future you may end up paying them for any power you export.
Not far off in NSW

Market rules paving the way for two-way electricity tariffs were signed off by the Australian Energy Market Commission in 2021, and a handful of network companies – mostly in NSW – have been testing out their options since then.

By the end of 2022, four Australia electricity networks – Ausgrid, Essential Energy and Endeavour Energy in NSW, and Evoenergy in the ACT – had flagged their plans to introduce rooftop solar export tariffs from 2024.

These plans were firmed up and teased out in 2023, as detailed here.

Now 2024 has arrived, Ausgrid confirms it will introduce the 1.2c/kWh export charge in July – but only as an “opt-in” exercise – as in, customers will have to request to be involved, via their retailer. It will become mandatory a year later, in July 2025.

if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2024, 11:09:41 AM »
Quote from: xcvator
If anything goes wrong with ours, it will stay that way, in Victoria now you are just wasting your mother getting or repairing any domestic solar, with a feed in tariff of 3cents per kwh. The only way you might save would be to build your own lifpo battery bank and save all your own power  >:( >:(
from another forum

I just received an email from Scumbum energy (Sumo) informing me that they are raising my Peak/Off Peak and daily supply charge by 50% and lowering solar Feed-in tariff by 70%. $1.54 daily supply, $0.5 peak and $0.29 off-peak and feed in of $0.033.
Is anyone else seeing this insanity?

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2024, 12:55:20 PM »
Our wonderful governments are so far out of touch with reality when it comes to solar and green energy.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)
The following users thanked this post: Bird

Offline Wol

• Swag User
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2024, 03:25:55 PM »
This is not about camper trailers. I came home from a couple months away fishing to find my home solar system not making any power. Fault light on. Paid the extortion to get the supplier to come and have a look and end result is its all going to be replaced. It was installed in 2013 with premium panels and inverter. Why is it all getting replaced you ask?
The inverter is faulty, manufacturer no longer in business, no one repairs them.
One of the 2 strings has “some” faulty panels (shorts or something). They are 250 watt and considered old technology as the panels they use now are 440 watt and not suitable to be put in with the old. I was shown some pics of the old ones with fractures appearing in the black bits under the glass. Not good. So much for the panel warranty/guarantee when technology has moved on.
If they could get some 250 watt panels to replace the crook ones I could get away with just a new inverter. No! There seem to be some compatibility issues there and the new inverter guarantee would probably be void if installed with old 250 watt panels and there was a problem.
So with all those road blocks it looks like I throw it all away and get a new system. I reckon I’ve probably broken even with the initial capital outlay as systems were more expensive back then and it also cost extra to have it rack mounted on the shed cos the house roof is less than ideal for solar.
As they are installing a new system the government/power company I’m told is generously reducing the 7 cents per kw I export to the grid down to 2 cents per Kw and after 4pm it goes to 10 cents per Kw. Great incentive there. Wow soon they be offering $'s per Kw all night!
As far as I know there is no recycling facility for old panels in WA so they probably will go to landfill. Same probably for the inverter.
While I consider myself sensibly green I am beginning to think that home solar systems are just another scam.

Interesting, given our lifestyle and use case at the time I did not gi with solar as there was not even a break even point in opportunity cost vs recoupment.  Especially as I had no faith in the inverters lasting.  Some have done better.  I would be more tempted today .

Regards

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2024, 07:21:18 AM »
it will introduce the 1.2c/kWh export charge in July – but only as an “opt-in” exercise – as in, customers will have to request to be involved,

Are they expecting many people to willingly offer to pay more ??? ::)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Isuzu: 2017 MU-X LST
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2024, 12:37:59 PM »
Sounds like the LPG on cars gig of few decades ago... get everyone hooked on cheap gas, then up the price.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2024, 12:43:44 PM »
Are they expecting many people to willingly offer to pay more ??? ::)
I’d hope not, but it’s mandatory in 2025.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2024, 01:32:43 PM »
Not sure if I should put this here or in the “what made you smile section. Just checked the first day on the new solar battery system with my provider AGL, we bought 22cents of power and sold them 29cents worth (at 5cents per kw feed in)
Battery monitor is telling me we are now 99% self sufficient.
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, Fizzie

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2024, 04:26:51 PM »
Hi, when first installed, we still had the old style meter in the power box .
I loved watching it run backwards.
Unfortunately it was (of course) soon replaced with a cryptic, boring, shiny new one.
Cheers

Typed with phat fumbs

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2024, 01:04:57 AM »
Our wonderful governments are so far out of touch with reality when it comes to solar and green energy.

We know they're off with the fairies trying to change the weather with solar panels and windmills and they know we know but they don't care because they're in charge of fairyland and all the taxeater snouts in the trough-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/wake-up-call-on-energy-transition-as-voters-switch-off/ar-BB1qMQpp
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2024, 12:58:17 PM »
This is our 10 year old 5.7kW system "pumping" out the power.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2024, 03:40:19 PM »
A challenge for the weather worrying elites. Just show us ONE communal electricity grid demonstration project in Canberra with full user pays even without the full electrification of transport in ACT. No generation or heating with coal oil gas imported biofuels or dodgy offsets from outside the ACT borders. Just your pure firmed green fickle electricity all paid for via your power bills so we skeptics can see you're not talking dribble OK?
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2024, 10:56:05 PM »
UPDATE:
I had a whole new system installed today conditional on getting a WiFi range extender installed on the house as the solar is on the shed some 30 something meters from the house. Apparently, in WA, when a new or replacement system is installed the power company requires (mandatory) access to the inverter to shut it down if they wish. Big brother is watching! That also allows me to monitor performance on my PC and mobile, so that's a bonus.

I looked at getting batteries, going off grid etc but found the setup cost prohibitive with FA chance of recouping the outlay in my lifetime. In fact, on review of our specific power consumption profile I was dissuaded from going down that path.

Given my initial post you may be wondering why I went with solar again.
The reason is three fold.
1. My insurance company accepted the claim and I will not be out of pocket. If the claim was rejected I probably would not have gone down this path.
2. A slightly larger system with different panel orientation should generate sufficient spread of power during the day to run our household, pool pump, etc. We have had from day one a timeline for when to run appliances etc to best utilise power generation.
3. Can't wait to start counting the $$$'s when I am receiving the generous 2 cents a unit (was 7 cents) from the lucrative buyback scheme, NOT.

Well, I'll see how things go as I at least have the experience with the old system to compare with.
Will report back with anything worthwhile.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 11:03:09 PM by RebsWA »

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2024, 10:19:01 PM »

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2024, 09:46:29 AM »
Quote from: RebsWA
2. A slightly larger system with different panel orientation should generate sufficient spread of power during the day to run our household, pool pump, etc. We have had from day one a timeline for when to run appliances etc to best utilise power generation.
So maybe this is too simplistic - but solar with no batteries only makes sense if you time everything to run during the sunny hours of the day - maybe with timers etc?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2024, 10:10:09 AM »
So maybe this is too simplistic - but solar with no batteries only makes sense if you time everything to run during the sunny hours of the day - maybe with timers etc?
Pretty much that's what we do. The pool is on a timer and so are the 5 batteries charger/maintainers in the caravan, tractor, ride on mowers etc.
Our house has gas hot water and a tile fire for heating. Dishwasher, washing machine, bore pump etc are time tabled to run during sun peak hours. At night the house is on grid power of course to run the TV, PC, pressure pump and lights (all are LEDS). Only big appliance is electric stove but have to live with that. I figure that's about the best we can do. Given how we operate I could not see the benefit over outlay for a battery system.

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2024, 03:51:19 PM »
This is a interesting offering from east coast suppliers and how you can take advantage of the 3 hours of free power per day, 11am to 2 pm. need a battery system and smart meter though.
Quote from facebook post from FPV Power.
"UPDATE ON HOW TO GO OFF GRID WHILST ON GRID WITHOUT SOLAR PANELS!! 😱🤔
OVO an Electricity Retailers like AGL, etc. have now extended their service to those without a solar panel system.
This means you can get their FREE 3 PLAN, FREE POWER (UNLIMITED) for 3 hours, 11am—2pm, every day, 7 days a week.
My 10 min video exploring the concept.
https://youtu.be/piYdFLQ90wo?si=RGH5DiYlbwgjlF8j
HARDWARE NEEDED:
DEYE Hybrid inverter (size it according to your needs, 5kw or 8kw etc)
FPV POWER 17.4kwh battery (https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuperCapAustralia/permalink/1428334184443614)
Hook it up OFF GRID, and use the GRID TO ONLY CHARGE at those free times; there is no EXPORT if power to the Grid (as u have to Solar), you are using your system totally off-grid, and the grid is only used for charging, even when the grid goes down, brownouts, temp power cut etc.. you will still have power ( provided the battery has a charge), and u can also use Genny connected to the DEYE hybrid inverter to charge your battery when the grid dies for an extended amount of time.
Make use of the smart Deye inverter TIME OF USE ( TOU) setting to only charge when power is FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !
Check this www.ovoenergy.com.au/refer/ian4218 link to find your address and see if you can use OVO's plan. At the moment, this is only for the east coast of Australia, but not all parts of Australia.
If you can get the Free 3 Plan, feel free to contact me and discuss options and solutions!
At the end of the day Cost vs performance vs return on investment made!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piYdFLQ90wo
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 04:40:54 PM by sparksy »

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2024, 02:59:53 PM »
Well done RebsWA, glad the insurance came up with the money.

I haven't heard or seen anything from Synergy, but I think we are now on the generous 2c as well.
Luckily the EV is charged with the excess power only so no importing for charging.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar