Author Topic: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?  (Read 1743749 times)

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?
« Reply #4200 on: April 28, 2018, 07:34:12 PM »
I don't have a bench in my current shed, so dining room floor is close enough...

I've got a portable compressor that has been kicking around the car/shed for about 4 years now. Its a good sized one and if sat on the bench next to a lot of much more expensive units you'd be hard pressed to pick the difference. Some things I'm disappointed with are that that the cooling fins on the cylinder are some hard powder coated plastic, rather than aluminium, so as far as heat dissipation they do 4/5ths of bugger all.
The other is the carry bag it was supplied in, it's about as heavy duty as a $1 Woolies bag (I'm not talking about the insulated ones either) with the zip lasting about a month.

Last time I gave it a run it wasn't working as well as it should, so today I stripped it down to see what was wrong.

I pulled the head off to find that the screws holding it on were not much more than finger tight, the rubber gasket had blown out on one corner and one of the reed valves wasn't seating correctly. I flipped the reed valve over so it sat flat against the valve block, then cleaned up the valve block and head before replacing the blown seal with RTV. Right now its doing its 24hr cure and hopefully will work properly when I fire it up later.

Well, there's your problem!

So, the long term plan:
I had a small ARB compressor mounted in the back of the wagon that I wired up to a pressure switch, it worked really well. It would crank up to 110psi and shut off. I also fitted a tap at the end of the air hose, so switching between tyres the hose and the dinky little tank on the compressor would also be at 110psi, so I essentially had an 8L pressure tank. I wanted to do that again, but on a box I could shift between vehicles.

The plan for this one is to mount a T fitting on the outlet of the compressor, this had to be modified immediately as the Nitto outlet had some obscure thread on it that I couldn't match, so the male nitto copy was screwed back in and I stuck a female Nitto into the T and moved on. The other 2 outlets on the T will get a fitting for the air line and a pressure switch.
Its bulkier than I wanted, but will hopefully act as a heat sink. If the cheap ebay pressure switch or relay packs it in, then I can revert to the standard setup easily.

On the control circuit, power will come to a relay where I'll split it and run a wire to the pressure switch and use that to energise the relay. It will switch the compressor off when pressure reaches 110psi and on again when it drops to 90.

I've also got an old fire extinguisher that is probably due for replacement. The cylinder is rated to a constant 145psi with a test pressure of 290psi, so I don't think my setup will stress it too much.
I'll knock up an ally box to fit it all in to keep everything in one place and keep the sand and crap out of everything. I went berserk on eBay and bought more brass bits tonight, so a bit of waiting until I can finish it off. I'd like the convenience of getting the bits today, but 1 fitting was $11 at Supercheap and I can get the same for about $0.60 each online and I'm a tigharse :-[.

Ultimately I'd like one of these, but I'm struggling to justify the price. It would make things easy though, just like airing up at the servo.
Jamec Pem Digital Automatic Tyre Inflator.

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4201 on: April 29, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »
I want a hoist

Hell, at the moment I'd settle for a garage

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
It does come in handy. It spends 99.9% of its time with the camper on it as per the photo. I've gained a lot of "friends" since getting it. Many have asked to put there vehicle on it but only a couple have had the O.K. 
I purchased it because I was running out of space in my shed. Sounds silly but it was cheaper to put the hoist in then it was to extend the shed. The ability to work on the cars was just a bonus.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4202 on: April 29, 2018, 11:29:02 AM »
I don't have a bench in my current shed, so dining room floor is close enough...

So build one, Dear Henry Hoyks! :D

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/garage/diy-portable-workbench

so I essentially had an 8L pressure tank...

I've also got an old fire extinguisher that is probably due for replacement. The cylinder is rated to a constant 145psi with a test pressure of 290psi, so I don't think my setup will stress it too much.

Could you use an out-of-date LPG cylinder as a pressure tank ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4203 on: April 29, 2018, 12:07:47 PM »
So build one, Dear Henry Hoyks! :D
I have a nice bench made from a recycled door and another from MDF and hammerlock shelving in my nice big shed where the family lives at home, unfortunately I'm 800km away for work and living in a rental for 3 years. Lots of nice big work benches at work too
I have enough disposable furniture, don't need to add a bench to the list.

Could you use an out-of-date LPG cylinder as a pressure tank ???
I could, I have a 2kg cylinder at home, I was looking at the extinguisher as it is more slimline than the gas bottle and the stowage box wouldn't have to be as big. I could mount it in the corner and just change how I planned on stowing the hoses. Something to look at when I get home next.... I don't think they will let me bring it back as checked luggage or carry on though :-[.
Getting the stench agent out is a pain too.I built a fire pig years ago, used it a dozen times and it still has a whiff of gas smell.
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4204 on: April 29, 2018, 04:22:04 PM »
The RHS of the Customline has been looking a little tired for a while. This arvo I stripped the jerry can holder and battery tray/box off it, gave it a wire brush and a good clean, and painted it with two coats of paint I bought from Customline when it was new. Came up looking like new!
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4205 on: April 30, 2018, 06:56:21 AM »
Not in the shed this week-end, but moved a shed project to it's final resting place  :D

Last week-end we prefabbed a thunderbox for our private camping spot, yesterday we packed all the bits into a couple of trailers and installed it on site.

First we dug a hole about 1500mm deep, then we lined the bottom of the hole with about 200mm of gravel from the creek for wet waste drainage, after that we buried a 1000l I.B.C. as a holding tank. It has the top cut out, and it is buried upside down. This lets the liquids drain away and the grubs & worms can do their thing on the solids.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:31:05 AM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4206 on: April 30, 2018, 07:19:52 AM »
Part 2

Once the in-ground work was done, the base was installed, then the walls, and finally the roof. The install took 3 of us around 4 hours, but will save us from having to dig a hole every time we go to there. The stink pipe has a 12v computer fan to draw the air out. This creates a draft down the poo-shute and out the vent which eliminates the smells and dries the waste to help the bio action in the chamber. The stink pipe is also capped with mesh. this is so any flies that find their way into the chamber will naturally fly towards the light to get out and get trapped at the top (with the door closed and lid down, the only light the flies see is up the vent pipe), this controls any potential spread of disease. Given the amount of use it will get, we estimate it will be a few years before we need to bury another tank  ;D We used 2nd hand materials, bits we had lying around, and a few scavenged items, so all up costs were around $400.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:38:37 AM by Spada »
Spada.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4207 on: April 30, 2018, 07:54:33 AM »
Beautiful job Spada, but watch out for Redbacks >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4208 on: April 30, 2018, 09:06:22 AM »
A throne room fit for a King, well done, great job. :cup:
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4209 on: April 30, 2018, 08:05:50 PM »
I gotta do it again soon, have to put the Air Bag blocks in soon that old mste couldn't find.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

Hey Jon leave it a couple of months and put these in.

https://www.facebook.com/ARB4X4/photos/a.327646243946264.81274.313208172056738/1851576018219938/?type=3&theater
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4211 on: April 30, 2018, 08:50:40 PM »
I had a quick look,
What $$$$

No idea at this stage, going to be another six months or so before they hit the shelf
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4212 on: May 01, 2018, 07:54:21 PM »
No idea at this stage, going to be another six months or so before they hit the shelf

If it any comparison I just got quoted $4.5K to put them into a 200. Nitrochargers are $2k

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4213 on: May 01, 2018, 08:01:42 PM »
If it any comparison I just got quoted $4.5K to put them into a 200. Nitrochargers are $2k

Have seen quotes like that.  Have to consider if your driving or where you intend to drive really requires them or not
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4214 on: May 01, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »
Exactly.....I am going through the suspension upgrade conundrum at the moment.
I don't think I need anything like that as I don't plan on jumping the car anytime soon. Lol.
The Kings equivalent are over $6k now.....thats getting stoopid.

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4215 on: May 02, 2018, 01:37:35 PM »
Made some legs for the new coffee table top.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #4216 on: May 02, 2018, 02:11:07 PM »
Made some legs for the new coffee table top.

Cheers Glen
Sensational  :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #4217 on: May 02, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »
I'd buy something like that  - so original -
b r i l l i a n t  !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4218 on: May 02, 2018, 04:48:05 PM »
That's a project to be proud off, every time you sit there with a beer you can boast "I made that"  :cup:
Spada.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #4219 on: May 02, 2018, 06:45:08 PM »
Bloody nice job Glen  ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4220 on: May 02, 2018, 06:50:44 PM »
 Very stylish.

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4221 on: May 02, 2018, 07:20:14 PM »
Thanks gentlemen, Im still not 100% on the leg colour. Very happy with the top though.
Got an off cut left over from my outside table project Im gonna use for the next one.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4222 on: May 02, 2018, 08:12:16 PM »
Thanks gentlemen, Im still not 100% on the leg colour. Very happy with the top though.
Got an off cut left over from my outside table project Im gonna use for the next one.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Go Gloss Black, will highlight top.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #4223 on: May 03, 2018, 12:14:10 AM »
i like the colour of the chain legs...
Creates the sence of lush luxury, but being chains - rustic and curious...
Well done!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline paul.o

• Tent User
« Reply #4224 on: May 03, 2018, 08:57:24 AM »
Im still not 100% on the leg colour.

Chrome!! ;D