Author Topic: Interesting read on electric cars  (Read 139591 times)

del97td and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Interesting read on electric cars
« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2019, 06:35:43 PM »
Soooooooooooooo.............

As it turns out EV is not so good. Who would have thought???

I run my car on a truly recycled fuel and it runs well and goes far and is efficient. Engine probably good for half a million clicks if I take care of it too.
Yep recycled dinosaurs. They give oil which fuels my car.
It's a good system.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »
Isn’t that cannibalism?
One dinosaur feeding on other dinosaurs.... ;D ;)

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #227 on: November 10, 2019, 06:58:22 AM »
Isn’t that cannibalism?
One dinosaur feeding on other dinosaurs.... ;D ;)

I resemble that remark.   ;D
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #228 on: November 10, 2019, 07:27:18 AM »
All electric 70 series, apparently the electric drive system can be retrofitted to existing vehicles? It's built specifically for mine operations, but who knows ? - https://youtu.be/tVhquG_rCsA being done by an Aussie company in WA - https://www.voltra.net.au/ecruiser/

I still electric vehicles only being practical in an urban or controlled industrial environment though, due to the problems with remote charging though?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 07:33:00 AM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #229 on: November 10, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »
I notice they're not saying what those series 70 conversions cost though and if you don't need a fourby it would probably be cheaper to get a Tesla S or the Model X if you want the mandatory SUV.

As far as EVs go they're too dear for most but you might have to set your sights on a hybrid in future as they keep ramping up emissions standards to strangle the ICE and the domestic diesel will be the first to go with their problematic vac bags up the exhaust already. In that respect get ready for GPF with your petrol engines too-
https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/features/gasoline-particulate-filter-gpf/

That's why carmakers like Hyundai are sniffing the wind on hybrids now with Toyota's RAV4 success-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news/hyundais-plan-to-topple-toyota/ar-AAJQUDc
All sorts of development going on in that respect and the old 12V battery might have had its day-
https://dieselnet.com/news/2017/10daimler.php
It's logical if diesels can't cut it with emissions and petrol lacks torque (or if you design one for torque the fuel economy and emissions suffer)you can get around that to some extent using the benefits of electric motors to get the load off the line until the petrol engine takes over with optimum rpm and as well you can recover waste energy with regenerative braking.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2019, 06:11:07 PM »
This new battery technology could be a big game changer...

South Australian researchers from the University of Adelaide have secured an A$1 million research contract with a Chinese battery manufacturer to develop the new technology and bring it to market within 12 months.

The patented design uses non-toxic zinc and manganese, two metals that are abundant in Australia, and incombustible aqueous electrolyte to produce a battery with a high-energy density.

The researchers estimate the cost of this new electrolytic Zn–Mn battery to be less than US$ 10 per kWh compared with US$ 300 per kWh for current Li-ion batteries, US$ 72 per kWh for Ni–Fe batteries and US$ 48 per kWh for Lead–acid batteries.

The battery is designed by Dr Dongliang Chao and Professor Shi-Zhang Qiao from the University of Adelaide’s School of Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials.

The high-energy, safe battery opens up markets where the battery weight, size and safety are essential factors, including automotive and aerospace, and domestic and commercial buildings, and grid-scale energy storage.

Dr Chao said although there were other Zn-Mn batteries on the market such as the dry cell, they were not rechargeable or recyclable and did not present high-energy density due to a different chemical reaction mechanism.

“I can imagine this battery being used on all vehicle types from small scooters to even diesel electric trains. Also in homes that need batteries to store solar power, or even large solar/wind farms,” he said.

“With more sustainable energy being produced – such as through wind and solar farms – storing this energy in batteries in a safe, non-expensive and environmentally sound way is becoming more urgent but current battery materials – including lithium, lead and cadmium – are expensive, hazardous and toxic.

“Our new electrolytic battery technology uses the non-toxic zinc and manganese and incombustible aqueous electrolyte to produce a battery with a high energy density.”

Dr Chao and Professor Qiao began working on the project in South Australia about 12 months ago and patented the technology at the beginning of this year.

Chinese battery manufacturer Zhuoyue Power New Energy Ltd, whose current batteries are lead-based, has committed $1 million to develop the new technology.

The ongoing research work and initial product development will be conducted in Adelaide with manufacturing expected to take place in Australia and China.

Dr Chao said the project would combine the new electrolytic battery technology and the company’s battery assembling technology.

“In addition, the battery uses basic materials and simple manufacturing processes so will be much cheaper to produce and easier to recycle than existing batteries of comparable energy density,” Dr Chao said.

Dr Chao obtained his PhD from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, and worked as a researcher at University of California, Los Angeles, before joining the University of Adelaide in South Australia last year.

South Australia is home to the world’s largest lithium-ion battery at Neoen’s Hornsdale Wind Farm in the state’s Mid North. It is also looming as a hub for electric vehicles and hosts the World Solar Challenge, the world’s most famous solar car race.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #231 on: November 11, 2019, 06:57:30 PM »
This new battery technology could be a big game changer...

South Australian researchers from the University of Adelaide have secured an A$1 million research contract with a Chinese battery manufacturer to develop the new technology and bring it to market within 12 months.

The patented design uses non-toxic zinc and manganese, two metals that are abundant in Australia, and incombustible aqueous electrolyte to produce a battery with a high-energy density.

The researchers estimate the cost of this new electrolytic Zn–Mn battery to be less than US$ 10 per kWh compared with US$ 300 per kWh for current Li-ion batteries, US$ 72 per kWh for Ni–Fe batteries and US$ 48 per kWh for Lead–acid batteries.

The battery is designed by Dr Dongliang Chao and Professor Shi-Zhang Qiao from the University of Adelaide’s School of Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials.

The high-energy, safe battery opens up markets where the battery weight, size and safety are essential factors, including automotive and aerospace, and domestic and commercial buildings, and grid-scale energy storage.

Dr Chao said although there were other Zn-Mn batteries on the market such as the dry cell, they were not rechargeable or recyclable and did not present high-energy density due to a different chemical reaction mechanism.

“I can imagine this battery being used on all vehicle types from small scooters to even diesel electric trains. Also in homes that need batteries to store solar power, or even large solar/wind farms,” he said.

“With more sustainable energy being produced – such as through wind and solar farms – storing this energy in batteries in a safe, non-expensive and environmentally sound way is becoming more urgent but current battery materials – including lithium, lead and cadmium – are expensive, hazardous and toxic.

“Our new electrolytic battery technology uses the non-toxic zinc and manganese and incombustible aqueous electrolyte to produce a battery with a high energy density.”

Dr Chao and Professor Qiao began working on the project in South Australia about 12 months ago and patented the technology at the beginning of this year.

Chinese battery manufacturer Zhuoyue Power New Energy Ltd, whose current batteries are lead-based, has committed $1 million to develop the new technology.

The ongoing research work and initial product development will be conducted in Adelaide with manufacturing expected to take place in Australia and China.

Dr Chao said the project would combine the new electrolytic battery technology and the company’s battery assembling technology.

“In addition, the battery uses basic materials and simple manufacturing processes so will be much cheaper to produce and easier to recycle than existing batteries of comparable energy density,” Dr Chao said.

Dr Chao obtained his PhD from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, and worked as a researcher at University of California, Los Angeles, before joining the University of Adelaide in South Australia last year.

South Australia is home to the world’s largest lithium-ion battery at Neoen’s Hornsdale Wind Farm in the state’s Mid North. It is also looming as a hub for electric vehicles and hosts the World Solar Challenge, the world’s most famous solar car race.
Just another example of Australia selling it’s assets cheaply to the Chinese. Assuming there’s some credibility to the technology I’d be happy to see the government spend a million on this in the name of climate change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #232 on: November 11, 2019, 07:14:53 PM »
Just another example of Australia selling it’s assets cheaply to the Chinese. Assuming there’s some credibility to the technology I’d be happy to see the government spend a million on this in the name of climate change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How the hell in this day and age can a bloody govt. not back the research and if proven lead by example and completely manufacture and distribute the batteries here in Oz.  Our fed govt is just a bloody joke.  I read about this technology quite a while ago and it seemed credible at the time. Hopefully it goes ahead as a winner.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: Furious01

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #233 on: November 11, 2019, 09:34:27 PM »
I'll believe it when it comes to market, I have read too many times of the latest wonder power generation device/ battery chemistry etc that is going to be a game-changer that hasn't eventuated.

Having said that, one day one of them will come to fruition and will make some people very rich and a Googleplex times more difference to the environment than someone supergluing themself to a road ever did. 

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 11:56:50 AM by Rodt »

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #235 on: November 25, 2019, 01:03:43 PM »
The new Tesla Cybertruck. Bloody hell it is ugly

https://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/tesla-cybertruck-revealed-are-we-being-trolled/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=BREAKING%3A+Ooh+my+Gawd%2C+Tesla+just+launched+Cybertruck+4X4&utm_campaign=Unsealed+4X4+-+Tesla+4X4

Not exactly masses of headroom in the back. I don't know how it would go with kids with those cut windows either.

All they'd see is the window sill and sky.
I hope the interior is water resistant and wipes clean.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #236 on: November 25, 2019, 01:46:26 PM »
Quote from: Hoyks
Not exactly masses of headroom in the back. I don't know how it would go with kids with those cut windows either.

All they'd see is the window sill and sky.
I hope the interior is water resistant and wipes clean.

ahhh its fine, he already has 185,000 orders for em.. with a $1.00 deposit LMAO
Might order one too so I can say Im with the cool people.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #237 on: November 25, 2019, 06:34:53 PM »
Geez, I'd hate to headbutt that dash in an acco.

Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2019, 06:50:08 PM »

With that kind of backing, he should be able to make another 2 of them!

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2019, 07:23:17 PM »

That was $1000...refundable if Shit hits the fan..

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #240 on: November 26, 2019, 12:59:47 AM »
Tesla Model X towing a 2000 lb camper trailer long distance...

Teslas CAN'T Tow Across Country — Watch Us Try and FAIL! | Adventure X Ep.7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjklex38lkQ

At least, that was the intention.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 01:01:58 AM by DandyD »
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2019, 09:09:34 AM »
Thanks DD,
They reckon they have distances  that have nothing out there and its undoable when towing, with a population of 350 million people ..
Try 25 million people spread out in  the same space .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #242 on: November 26, 2019, 09:47:50 AM »
Quote from: Bigfish
That was $1000...refundable if Shit hits the fan..
yep big change from the 1000 for his cars, to $1 for this hideous thing LOL wonder what supply would be like...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #243 on: November 26, 2019, 09:49:34 AM »
All electric 70 series, apparently the electric drive system can be retrofitted to existing vehicles? It's built specifically for mine operations, but who knows ? - https://youtu.be/tVhquG_rCsA being done by an Aussie company in WA - https://www.voltra.net.au/ecruiser/

I still electric vehicles only being practical in an urban or controlled industrial environment though, due to the problems with remote charging though?
I think those electric 70 series will make a lot of sense in under ground mines - especially since diesel particulate emissions are carcinogenic and are particularly concentrated underground.

Online Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #244 on: November 27, 2019, 09:44:15 AM »
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #245 on: November 27, 2019, 11:02:40 AM »
Ok ok, Id have one ... There ya go, you heard Edz said he'd have an EV ... Though there would have to be a change to the bodywork / seating for me ..
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:48:05 PM by edz »

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #246 on: November 27, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »
Ok ok, Id have one ... There ya go, you heard Edz said he'd have an EV ... Though there would have to be a change to the bodywork / seating for me ..

That would be fun

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #247 on: November 27, 2019, 12:14:03 PM »
like this? Aussie made too :P
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #248 on: November 27, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »
Rimac Concept One.
Theres a Concept Two out soon too

https://youtu.be/eT7KKxoAvvk
https://youtu.be/iCd32Eiuxak

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #249 on: November 29, 2019, 07:55:33 AM »
This guy is a self made multy milionaire..    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNkJCEtaYDQ                                                                        His interesting take on the Tesla Truck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s29pVRtyLJA