Author Topic: Memorable trip  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Memorable trip
« on: November 23, 2018, 08:25:07 AM »
Well the wife and I finally got away for ten days in Dareton (Coomealla) at the park and the weather was sensational, anywhere between 25 and 35. Spent plenty of time along the rivers just sitting around relaxing.
The memorable part was Tues night at about 1.30 we were awoken by an enormous clap of thunder and the sound of heavy rain. Checked the CT for leaks all good, back to sleep. Not sure how much later I woke up to a flashing light, got up to check it, stepped down from the bed and stepped into ankle deep water surging through the tent. Panic stations as I quickly shove everything up on the bed and make sure the circuit breaker has thrown. Step outside and we are smack bang in the middle of a lake.5 hours later the water has receded and the clean up begins, thankfully the only casualty was an iPad and a tv remote ( now working ) By lunch time We'd everything was dry and back in place.
Oh well I can honestly sat the roof doesn't leak. ;D
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
Re: Memorable trip
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 08:27:33 AM »
Bugger, lucky the loses were not worse
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 09:35:53 AM »
Camper with built in duck pond......Nice addition >:D
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »
Honestly how does someone stay in Dareton 10 days lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 11:17:33 AM »
Easy to stay in Dareton for ten days, central for Wentworth, Mildura, good run to Mungo, Pooncarie, right on the Murray and Darling. Obviously not enough shopping for you Jusy Apples! ;D

Yes 55mm of rain in 45 mins will turn a soft floor into a duck pond, worse for the blokes up the other end of the park, it was a foot deep there and one lost a fridge, one a genset plus plenty of general mud and rubbish through their sites.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 12:20:53 PM »
The best part,  by the sounds of the place is,  its a 1000 K's away in most any direction,  from a major populated center .. Gotta be happy with that ...
Cannot wait for our Tree change visit to family out of Armidale in three weeks time..
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 12:24:30 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 12:40:28 PM »
The best part,  by the sounds of the place is,  its a 1000 K's away in most any direction,  from a major populated center .. Gotta be happy with that ...
Cannot wait for our Tree change visit to family out of Armidale in three weeks time..
Spot on, no crowds, no dickheads, just down to earth people all out enjoying the country, no stress, no pressure, everybody happy to have a chat, say g,day and help wherever necessary. Sadly a few months of Xmas madness and docs appt etc will put a halt on things till March.
Cheers and enjoy Armidale.
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 02:02:44 PM »
Lived there for 3 years go back once a year to visit friends but I’d never stay in Dareton. Too close to the mission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 08:56:02 PM »
No doubt a trip you'll never forget and even laugh about in 5 years!!

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 01:41:17 PM »
No doubt a trip you'll never forget and even laugh about in 5 years!!

At about 5.30am after sweeping water away for 3 hours the missus said hop back to bed for a nap, just dropped my head on the pillow and a kookaburra started up, Fark it I said, he thinks it's funny, had a bit of a chuckle myself and got up, no going to sleep after that.

Not much you can do about it when it's happening other than try and mitigate any damage, I was glad the overnight temp was about 18 and no wind, would be fun sloshing around in water if it was cold.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »

Not much you can do about it when it's happening other than try and mitigate any damage, I was glad the overnight temp was about 18 and no wind, would be fun sloshing around in water if it was cold.

Thats very true Pottsy, its all part of camping.
 I had a horror camping trip years ago, everything that could go wrong did go wrong, but now when i tell people about it around a campfire, it always gets a laugh,  none louder than me 

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Juzzman