Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 260821 times)

Offline Gav Dal Broi

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #400 on: July 19, 2014, 07:45:54 AM »
What did that set you back  ??? . lf that's not a rude  question  :cheers:
It cost under $6,000. I'll have to spend some money when it comes time to redo the chassis and suspension but most of that I can do at our farm workshop. I think the costly upgrade will be the front box I want to put in with a stainless kitchen and fridge slide and the electrics. I am budgeting under $4/5000 for the upgrade to have it set up the way we want it.
Out before sunrise, home after sunset. Won't change it for anything.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #401 on: July 19, 2014, 07:48:58 AM »
Well your off to a great start  . lf you need to know ask . The only silly question is the question not asked   :cup: :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Gav Dal Broi

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #402 on: July 19, 2014, 12:33:20 PM »

setting up the annex for the first time. I'm glad I don't have a soft floor, was about to stab myself with a tent peg if it took any longer setting up. just need a privacy wall(mesh) and a shade cloth floor and I'm set

Offline ozmoose

• Swag User
« Reply #403 on: July 19, 2014, 12:45:16 PM »
Bigger photo please 8)

Offline Gav Dal Broi

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #404 on: July 19, 2014, 02:16:26 PM »
Bigger photo please 8)
Oh come on! I have just been able to get them thumbnail size and I thought I was on a winner. It will take me all afternoon to get it bigger. I thought I was techno informed but something about pic resizing and I'm like an ape trying to work an iphone. I'll give it a go :D

Offline Gav Dal Broi

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #405 on: July 19, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »

ok that worked
where is the best place to go looking for annex poles, mine are quite old and are a bu**er to put in. I don't have clips but eyelet holes for the spreader bars and no Velcro on the tent just poles with a half clip. I have to tighten it a lot or otherwise they just fall off.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #406 on: July 19, 2014, 05:13:13 PM »

Dad  ,      Somebodys Camping in The Front Yard   :cheers:

Offline Kram54

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #407 on: July 19, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »
Kram54   Sweet CT it will serve you well  :cup: . What size bags dose it ride on   ??? Will you charge the Deepie from the Tug   ??? Have you considered Solar for when you are settled for a time camping   ???
 So many questions  to you just interested to know     ;D                      :cheers:

So many questions. Yes, I've set it to charge from the tug.???? The CTEK 250S Dual will allow me to add solar charging at a later date,  for those longer stays in more remote or less populated places.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #408 on: July 19, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
Good Good  but ,,,,, how much Solar feeding how big a Deepie  ( Deep Cycle Battery ) or how many deepies  :cheers:

Offline Kram54

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #409 on: July 19, 2014, 08:01:10 PM »
Good Good  but ,,,,, how much Solar feeding how big a Deepie  ( Deep Cycle Battery ) or how many deepies  :cheers:

A single 120ah deepie and I am yet to research the solar stuff. A question to put to the forum experts at a later date I think.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #410 on: July 20, 2014, 07:23:24 AM »
Where are you mob located   ??? , my bet is central NSW ,  :cheers:

Offline Eski

• Tent User
  • Practising Grey Nomad
« Reply #411 on: September 03, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »

I am currently running 125W Solar panel feeding a 100ah deep cycle solar battery.
Kym
2022 Isuzu MU-X & Cheetah X-Country

Offline mucko68

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #412 on: September 23, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »
Gday All

Mick here just bought a Cub drifter 1988 Bicentennial Edition in prety good nick for her age. I will get a pic up as soon as I figure how to set it up  :-[ . Im wondering does anyone have any idea where I can get my mitts on a Setup guide / manual for this model on one close to it. I would really like to set up her correctly without damaging her.

My girls are itching to try her out  ;D

Any help would be much appreciated... NB I have contacted CUB but haven't got a response as yet

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #413 on: October 15, 2014, 12:46:04 PM »
Hey there Cub Clubbers. Just realised I haven't been on here for over two years! Been out having fun.

I've got a Cub Brumby, had it for a few years now. Goes really well, no real troubles.  Couple of irks now and then but nothing major.

Has anyone replaced their rear drop down stabiliser legs? I, ahem, .... damaged mine recently... I was thinking of replacing them with something else.  Any suggestions?
2010 Mitsubi Triton GLX-R

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #414 on: October 16, 2014, 07:24:48 AM »
G'day Riguez, I replaced the stabiliser poles on my 08 Supamatic with Manutec dropdowns just after I bought it back in 08. Check out my camper thread, the link is below my Signature pic  :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #415 on: October 16, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »
G'day Riguez, I replaced the stabiliser poles on my 08 Supamatic with Manutec dropdowns just after I bought it back in 08. Check out my camper thread, the link is below my Signature pic  :cheers:

Thanks Snow!  Some good info and questions answered in your 'Snow Cave'.
2010 Mitsubi Triton GLX-R

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline rastas4

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #416 on: October 18, 2014, 06:41:30 AM »
I have a 2005 Cub Spacevan.
I want to carry my 3.75 metre Savage Tinny up on to (put it up there when the trailer is closed, and take it off before it is opened of course), and it weighs around 80kg's.
Is the rack/ floor strong enough for this (my rack appears to be attached by tek screws)?
Also, has anyone shifted their spare wheel to under the back using a winch type spare holder like a Hilux has?
 I want to make room on the draw bar for an outboard carrier (for a 15hp four stroke motor).

Cheers
Peter
2005 Diesel Prado

2005 Cub Spacevan

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #417 on: October 18, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »
Hi Peter, some years ago on a Supamatic I mounted my spare behind the axle, but I used a big ratchet strap instead of a winch.  I fabricated a bracket that attached under the chassis behind the axle.  The ratchet end of the strap attached to the front of the draw bar and the other end of the strap went over the water tank (between tank and chassis) then through the bracket and down to the spare.  As the ratchet strap was tightened the spare was pulled up under the chassis. I used this for a big trip from Melb to the Kimberley, and it worked really well.
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.

Offline Stoo

• Tent User
« Reply #418 on: October 18, 2014, 05:52:44 PM »
Yeah Peter, a mate just bought a used spacevan and we mounted the spare underneath with the ute chain thingo. We had a look under our spacevan and did something similar but didn't consider clearance between the spare wheel and the rear door hatch when opened. By pure arse it missed by milimetres.
So, do it but keep the spare quite close to the axle.
Stu

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #419 on: October 18, 2014, 06:53:16 PM »
Pulled the 2007 Supamatic Regal Off-road out of the carport today and opened it up. Tidy up before trips Nov up to the high country from ACT to Vic; down the NSW coast in January and Flinders-NT-Qld in April.

Know why I bought it - it was a delight to have it all opened up in the driveway. Still smelt of eucalypts from the last trip. Battery system working great - although I do put it on charge once a month. What a wonderful piece of gear this is. 
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline ozmoose

• Swag User
« Reply #420 on: October 19, 2014, 08:49:21 AM »
Agree Terry.

I have had our Cub Supermatic for just over a year now but a recent trip to Fraser really cemented the CT as the right choice for me. It was so easy for the family (Me, Wifey and 2 kids) to set up and we were very comfortable. We would do a basic set up for overnight stays in literally under five minutes. When we settled at a caravan park or similar for a couple of nights we would put the awning up and still be having a beer in under twenty minutes.

I recently went to the Sandown show for a sticky beak and sure, there are a lot of really nice CT's on the market with some fantastic features but you are starting to wander into $50-60k territory. For what we plaid and what we do with our Cub camper we couldn't be happier.

Happy Cub travels......

Moose

Offline rastas4

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #421 on: October 19, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
Yeah Peter, a mate just bought a used spacevan and we mounted the spare underneath with the ute chain thingo. We had a look under our spacevan and did something similar but didn't consider clearance between the spare wheel and the rear door hatch when opened. By pure arse it missed by milimetres.
So, do it but keep the spare quite close to the axle.
Stu
Thanks for that.

I didn't take into consideration the fact that mine has 2x Water tanks under it with the rear one sitting behind the axle. I don't think I'll get the clearance I need with the Door folding under it??

Has anyone carried a Tinny on the roof/ floor of theit Cub at all??
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:31:20 PM by rastas4 »
2005 Diesel Prado

2005 Cub Spacevan

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #422 on: October 21, 2014, 01:36:46 PM »
My Cub Supamatic Regal Off-road (2007) came from the factory with 17" wheels and shocked suspension.  I have only take it on relatively easy trips since I bought it second hand last year - except 1 trip when I took it to my 4 wheel drive club training property which the trip in was interesting to say the least because it was also at night.

Just wondering what I can expect from it being pulled by a Prado D4D (2008) - not concerned about rough tacks but rather inclines. Some step areas around the ACT and the high country.

Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline paull

• Tent User
« Reply #423 on: October 23, 2014, 05:21:02 PM »
Looking at joining the Cub Club soon.
Will be our first camper trailer and it's great to see the support for them on here.
I've been looking for a couple of years now so it's great to finally be at the point where it might actually become a reality. I did originally look at the cheaper imports and they do look all nice and shiny at the shows but I just can't convince myself that the quality is there. So, looking at stumping up the extra too get a Cub instead.

We're looking at the Supamatic Escape Off Road.
We had a look at them at Eastern Creek 4WD show last weekend and it certainly seems to have most things I think we're looking for.
I'm now trying to work out what optional extras are worthwhile getting and hoped to get some opinions from people who already own them. Some potential options are:
- Independent suspension - Is this worth the extra $1000?
- Wind down stabiliser legs - The standard ones look incredibly vulnerable to me, though the guys at Cub say not.
- Galvanised chassis
- Tropical roof

Would be great to hear what you guys (and girls) thought about these options, and any other things that I've not mentioned that you think are worth looking at.
What features do you like about your Cubs and what you might change if you were buying again.

In terms of our intended use for the Cub, I've no doubt that it will spend the majority of it's time on the tarmac, but I do want to try and get a bit more off the beaten track with it as well. I would love to do some more remote trips. Just got to convince SWMBO, hence the camper trailer to keep her more comfortable and hopefully make the set up and pack downs a lot quicker and easier than it is when tent camping.
2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
2016 MR22BE Van

"I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some bugger with a torch bringing me some more work."

Offline ozmoose

• Swag User
« Reply #424 on: October 23, 2014, 08:15:19 PM »

- Independent suspension - Is this worth the extra $1000?
- Wind down stabiliser legs - The standard ones look incredibly vulnerable to me, though the guys at Cub say not.
- Galvanised chassis
- Tropical roof

Hey Paul,

Welcome! From my experience the Tropical roof is a MUST.... Wouldn't worry about the legs IMHO and I have the independent suspension and love it but can't compare to the leaf sprung. You will love the CUB. There are better units on the market and you will pay for the privilege. Having said that there are a lot worse units for a lot less and like everything in life you get what you pay for.

The other thing that you didn't mention that is a must for me is the drivers side access hatch, you won't regret it. I would also recommend you do the 12v electrics yourself or have a third party do a better job for less and I upgraded to the inner spring mattress that the wife was very pleased about.

I didn't pay extra for the galvanised chassis and I am finding very minor rust that appears on exposed areas that does require minor attention such as WD40 or some respray from a can on occasions. My mate did got for the galvanised and he finds it chips and it requires about the same amount of maintenance. It's a personal decision and I think unless you intend to do a lot of beach work it's not worth the extra $$$

Good luck with the purchase. You will certainly find some good friends and advice here.

Moose