Author Topic: soft roader 4wd on fraser  (Read 13988 times)

Offline Mr Jones

• Learning the Ropes
soft roader 4wd on fraser
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:43:19 PM »
Hi every body not to sure if i am posting in the correct section sorry if its not correct :angel:

I have a question to ask the soft roader people out there.

I am headding up to fraser in Oct  as its not my first trip to the island have been on the island about ten or so times now how ever it will be my first time on the island in a soft roader (nissan xtrail)
also i have never had this car on sand.
i have had a lot of time in sand in other trucks such as cruisers and patrols etc but never in the xtrail.
i will be going through rainbow beach side which i no gets chewed up a fair bit and rather soft at times i will also be towing a small cub camper around (600kgs)

what are your thoughts on plan of attack

other than air down and keep the right boot into it >:D

cheers guys hope to get some feed back

chris.

Offline V8100

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: soft roader 4wd on fraser
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:05:14 PM »
Dont reall y know how an xtrail will go on fraser but on stockton beach we had one with us and it really struggled overheating engine and auto were the major probs .  We will also be going in oct to fraser and one of our crew have a v6 vitara and cub and I am already wondering how many times we will need to recover him.

cheers eddy
2010 Navara d22(gone)
2004 jayco swan
2003 V8 cruiser

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
soft roader 4wd on fraser
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:08:32 PM »
Can't comment about xtrail but you v6 vitara should be fine ours has been on Stockton and Harrington without issues (manual and we don't have it anymore)

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »
Fraser is nothing like Stockton.

You know the island, you also know how wet it has been up there. It would need to get no more rain and beat down with hot days for it to be soft by October.

I reckon you will be fine. Just run as low as you dare on the tyres
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

Offline Mr Jones

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 09:24:36 PM »
cheers i no the autos arnt the best on the soft sand, the wifes is a manual but thanks for the feed back

Offline jthgodfrey

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 09:35:45 PM »
quite the contrary autos r great in sand they don't lose momentum when you need to gear down speaking from years of sand driving in both auto and manual i chose auto any day its diesel v petrol that starts the arguments

Offline V8100

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »
A little off topic but what do you reckon for tyre pressure on camper was thinking around the 15 psi to start and maybe lower if needed.

eddy
2010 Navara d22(gone)
2004 jayco swan
2003 V8 cruiser

Offline Mr Jones

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 09:43:41 PM »

I agree 100 % with you mate but in a soft roader in soft sand i would have to disagree on that one in the xtrail any way they have no balls down low and the autos over heat and slips as well as the all wheel drive system slips and loses drive

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 09:53:41 PM »
... in the xtrail any way they have no balls down low and the autos over heat and slips as well as the all wheel drive system slips and loses drive
The gearbox issue seems to be fairly common on sand from a few forums I've read.

If you picked the tides perfect, you could be fine, driving on the hard sand..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline white Knuckles

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 07:48:39 AM »
I agree pick your tides get the trailer there and you will be fine. The xtrail should be lite enough to go any where but towing the trailer will be another matter. Last time i was there towed a johno camper got stuck every time i touched the soft sand. Rangers said it was the softest sand they had ever seen, the hilux went great with out the camper. But from the sound of it there has been a bit of rain down there of late so you may be good.
2010 GXL Prado and old Jayco OB Hawk

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 09:21:50 AM »
I’ve been to Fraser about 20 times and it all depends on the weather. If there has been recent rain you should be fine, but if it’s dry you will struggle.

An example of how conditions vary is my last visit to Fraser was a piece of cake and high 4 got me everywhere with ease. (Probably could have even got around in 2WD) But the time before was dry and soft and even is Low range it was an effort. The inland tracks were like car parks with bogged 4wd everywhere.  So when your made to stop on hot/dry sand, what badge on the front on your 4WD becomes irrelevant and it’s the amount of praying you do that counts.

Offline randan

• Tent User
  • Jeep ......... No contest!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 11:50:58 AM »
With the larger 4x4 and the deep tyre tracks they can make in the sand this will be the issue, so if the sand is even a little soft ground clearance is going to be your problem. If you drag your bum a little towing a trailer then you'll probably struggle for clearance. The auto with traction control will not be helpful either, I would advise that it would be a good idea, if you can, switching off the traction control. We have a V6 outlander which has plenty of torque and with no additional weight on board sand driving is a breeze, but with that additional weight on board no matter how much torque if you are bellied out high and dry in those tyre tracks you will get no forward movement??
Just make sure you have a buddy, maxtrax and recovery gear cause it may just be needed a few times.  Getting off the ferry will be the first challenge.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways ~
Beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Offline Mr Jones

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 12:20:03 PM »
Thanks for the advise, been thinking it over and change of heart or to save the clutch any way, i will be headding over from hervey bay and coming through king fisher to central now so it should be a fair bit easier not quite as soft any way
lol and no buddys just the family on this trip and its a shame the young bloke doesnt walk yet so there only leaves the wife to jump out and push :laugh:
any way its all fun and part of the experence

cheers jonesy

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 12:38:58 PM »
Thanks for the advise, been thinking it over and change of heart or to save the clutch any way, i will be headding over from hervey bay and coming through king fisher to central now so it should be a fair bit easier not quite as soft any way
lol and no buddys just the family on this trip and its a shame the young bloke doesnt walk yet so there only leaves the wife to jump out and push :laugh:
any way its all fun and part of the experience

cheers jonesy

Hi Jonsey,

Last time I went Fraser east coast to Kingfisher Bay it was a really BAD road, I would not suggest the Fraser Island inland roads for towing especilty the Kingfisher bay road.

The easy approach is to cross from Inslip point and make sure you travel around the low tide mark, where the sand is hard and smooth. also get some Maxtrax to help get youself out with.

Ray

ss

Green Cub Escape Off Road

JethroT

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »
I agree.

Drop your tyres to 18 psi and travel the main beach from Inskip Point 2 hours either side of low tide.  Pack as light as you can.

Regards
Geoff

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »
The older model Xtrails had a centre diff lock I think, use that it will help immensely on sand.

Depending on the sand, I'd go even lower with tyre pressures. I had to drop my Cruiser and camper to 10psi all around on one hill section, when forced to pull over and stop by a tour bus. It was really hot, and the sand was incredibly soft.

We saw a Suzuki Jimny go everywhere with ease.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 04:41:38 PM »
I've taken a heavily loaded Suzuki Jimny everywhere (except to the last bit along to the lighthouse - ran out of tide) on Fraser Island, so in my opinion where a Jimny goes isn't an indicator of where or how an X-Trail will go; given they are completely different vehicles with very different capabilities in terms of 4wd and gearbox/transfer case systems.

If it was me, I wouldn't take an XTrail to Fraser in the same way I wouldn't take a Rav4. Just getting to the ferry at Inskip in anything but perfect conditions will be a battle in an XTrail if it has been dry for any period. And then add a trailer!

Good luck in any case!

Offline BigBlock1DT6

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 05:04:58 PM »
My SWMBO had a X-trail before i met her "thank god"
now she is also is a mechanic by trade as well

and she had it for 8 weeks as when she went on a camping trip just up to rainbow beach
she took it for a run along the beach and the problens she was having
was the heating of the gearbox and transfer led to it reverting back to 2 wheel drive all the time
so after that one trip away she sold it
it was also a brand new at the time
she calls them a glorified mums taxi

she bought a Paj next
then i came along with the Toyota
so it was out with the PAJ and in with a Landcruiser for her too
The sign saying, "Do Not Overtake turning Vehicle", means I am trying to tell you to have a Nice Day :)

Offline maca76

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 07:12:13 PM »
Hi, just got back today from fraser tailor fishing  :4x4:, tracks were great, if leaving from hervey bay dont go kingfisher, you will not like the hill at the start of the track, I would go to wangoolba(spelling) if coming from hervey bay quicker trip across and better track, as others have said your best bet is inskip point much safer and easier on your car. Where are you planning on staying whilst over there.

enjoy  :cheers:

Offline Mr Jones

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »
Thanks Maca was also looking at wanggoolba as ive been up there about 20 times and have only ever been over via inskip looking at staying at central station all dilli which every i make it to  :D

Offline white Knuckles

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 08:09:42 PM »
 :worthles:
2010 GXL Prado and old Jayco OB Hawk

Offline pajames

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 09:37:36 PM »
I would not tow a trailer of any description through the Fraser Island tracks in an x-trail, up the beach on the hard sand maybe but as soon as you get off the beach into the tracks you will struggle for sure. We had an x-trail which we owned for only a year and for this very reason we sold it and bought a Toyota instead. I didn't want the worry of the x-trail getting stuck or having expensive gearbox/clutch repairs as a result of towing trailers through soft sand. I researched the web for months and the stories of burnt out clutches, gearboxes overheating kicking it back into 2WD and so on were endless. They have no low range, insufficient clearance for the soft inland tracks and are not designed for towing heavy trailers through soft, sandy, bumpy island tracks and you will get stuck. I'm trying not to sound like a pessimistic old woman here but the inland tracks at Fraser are 'soft and rough' and in some sections quite difficult to navigate in a dedicated 4WD.

In particular you could have major problems navigating the Indian Head bypass and the other beach sections north i.e. Waddy Point, Orchid Beach etc.

If you are going to go then make sure you travel the beach at low tide so you can stick to the hard stuff and camp on the beach, don't try the inland tracks and whatever you do go onto the island via inskip point, do not even attempt Kingfisher as you won't make it up the first hill.

Cheers, PJ

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »
My SWMBO had a X-trail before i met her "thank god"
now she is also is a mechanic by trade as well

and she had it for 8 weeks as when she went on a camping trip just up to rainbow beach
she took it for a run along the beach and the problens she was having
was the heating of the gearbox and transfer led to it reverting back to 2 wheel drive all the time
so after that one trip away she sold it
it was also a brand new at the time
she calls them a glorified mums taxi

she bought a Paj next
then i came along with the Toyota
so it was out with the PAJ and in with a Landcruiser for her too

Your Misses is a Mechanic...!!!??

How cool is that.  Although does that mean she does the oil chages and you vacume the house...?

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 03:00:15 PM »
Your Misses is a Mechanic...!!!??

How cool is that.  Although does that mean she does the oil chages and you vacume the house...?
Gee, I dont know if thats a good thing or not!!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline maca76

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 05:33:48 PM »
The tailor were thick everywhere  8),