Author Topic: For those suffering from depression  (Read 116640 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: For those suffering from depression
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2014, 10:52:17 PM »
Mav I dont know what you got room wise at home and travel might be a bit hard on your wife, So maybe if theres room the other party might be able to set up camp in the back yard Or as near by as you can and bring the we are camping regardless closer her  ..throw the camp ovens on the fire and sit back with some mates and break the drag of her daily routine ...
All the best to you all ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2014, 01:22:50 AM »
Mav - I'm sorry to hear about your situation - but really encouraged to hear all the support you have from the guys on the forum here.
Myself included...either via public forum or private PM's to anyone on here I'm guessing from comments so far.

Quick comments - Unfortunately one of my clients is in a similar situation - kind of? - and his comments to me are that he feels for his wife who is his carer as he has Motor Neuron Disease.  He tells me that she is also dealing with the disease but having to do this in her own way whilst also looking after their daughter.   He tells me that their way of coping is to talk quite frankly about it.   How it absolutely sucks, but they talk honestly about the things they can do now and every day- how they can help each other deal with daily life things...

I really really hope this not out of line - Maybe it is one of the 'taboo' social subjects to talk about - but I feel it may be worthwhile to include in the conversation to assist you.  I'm not a doctor or medical person but hopefully can bring this to the table?

Can I encourage you to seek some relief from your bank/financier if you feel the need and look into ways to help yourselves financially.   Being in the financial planning game I know there are so many rules around super, insurances, financial hardship etc that may be worthwhile starting to think about to make sure you spend your time and effort supporting one another and being supported by your friends and family too.    Rather than money being an issue or maybe another source of pressure.   Hopefully this is one area you are all over?   But if not - talk to friends and family about this and look for some referrals.   

My prayers are with you and your family...

Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2014, 05:59:34 AM »
McTavish thanks.

We started looking into the super thing a few months ago and it finally got approved only last week. We are just waiting for it to be cleared.

I've also started looking into the carer's assistant benefit. So hopefully that can be approved too but I doubt it.

Both my wife and I go through stages that yes we are happy to talk about it to anyone and other days we don't want it mentioned.

Look forward to sitting down with everyone that's offered there support for a beer or 3 around a camp fire.

Maverick01
If you never go, you'll never know

KingBilly

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2014, 08:13:03 AM »
Sorry mate, dropped off to sleep on the couch last night.  Woke up drolling and the thread was silent.  Felt pretty guilty after offering to chat.  Hope you had a restful sleep.  Things are always better in the morning light.

What are you guys up to for Christmas?  Have you got family and friends coming around?  Always a good time of year to forget your troubles, for a short while at least.  Hope you get to have few laughs and enjoy some quality family time.

Take care and Happy Christmas.

KB

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2014, 04:31:50 PM »
Hey KB,

Yea last nights sleep was just ok.

We have family coming for christmas lunch.

Don't stress about falling asleep last night

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2014, 08:57:33 PM »
I meant vent, not bent LOL
got me hopes up... I thought you were offering..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2014, 11:14:51 PM »
McTavish thanks.

We started looking into the super thing a few months ago and it finally got approved only last week. We are just waiting for it to be cleared.

I've also started looking into the carer's assistant benefit. So hopefully that can be approved too but I doubt it.

Both my wife and I go through stages that yes we are happy to talk about it to anyone and other days we don't want it mentioned.

Look forward to sitting down with everyone that's offered there support for a beer or 3 around a camp fire.

Maverick01

Great news - can I just offer a quick word - can you do some research into taking money from super under different 'triggers' ie some have massive tax implications and others don't.    Can I just ask that you check your options before withdrawing any money from super....

Back to a more cheerful topic - Was the night before Christmas and all was well....  etc etc...    Merry Christmas and I trust you all have a fantastic time together tomorrow...
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline vicandug

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Get ready. Get set.......
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2014, 06:16:22 AM »
Merry Christmas Maverick and Mrs Maverick.

xxxxx
The dream - to travel like a snail with my home behind me, seeing every inch of Australia.

Life is a gift and too short to waste.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2014, 07:04:52 AM »
Merry Christmas Maverick and Mrs Maverick.

xxxxx
Agree to the Mavericks..

Hope you have a great day.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2014, 07:23:21 AM »
Thanks guys and gals.

Initially when started this post, I did it to get it off the chest not once did I ever think I would get so much support from a bunch of people of whom I've never met before. I've been blown away by the support I've received.

I would like this post to continue on not just for me but for anyone and everyone that has issues they need to get of there chest.

I honestly don't know how to repay everyone for what they have done recently.The only thing I can offer is a place to rest those weary eyes if anyone is coming through brisbane at anytime, or even just to grab a refreshing drink at anytime.

Unfortunately I can't offer you a place to set up the camper as we have only get a small block but the nature strip is big enough for a rear fold camper or caravan.

Maverick01

KingBilly

« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2014, 08:07:25 AM »
Hey mate, Happy Christmas.  Enjoy your day with family.

KB

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2014, 08:14:37 AM »
Thanks KB

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2014, 08:59:23 AM »
Merry xmas mate, keep in touch  :laugh:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2014, 09:53:27 AM »
I never started this thread for people to donate or feel sorry for us as even though we are going through some tough times. There are people out there going through even tougher times.

The support from this forum is truely amazing. It honestly feels like 1 big family.

I don't know how to repay everyone

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2014, 10:03:06 AM »
nobody is feeling sorry for you dude, this is to celebrate your time and life with ya missus..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

scarpsD40

« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »

nobody is feeling sorry for you dude, this is to celebrate your time and life with ya missus..
x2

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2014, 10:40:44 AM »
Merry Xmas to you and your wife..

I'll see ya in the new year ;D

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2014, 11:51:30 AM »
Mac I spend a fair bit of time in Brissie mate on my own so when I get a chance I'll take you at for a meal & drinks on me

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »
I never started this thread for people to donate or feel sorry for us...

We know...

The support from this forum is truely amazing. It honestly feels like 1 big family.

It is, and it does. It's more than just a forum...

Just stay in touch, and keep posting...

Best wishes mate.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline vicandug

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Get ready. Get set.......
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2014, 03:18:01 PM »
x2

X3 enjoy every precious moment and if we can help with that then it's a good thing. Xxxxxx
The dream - to travel like a snail with my home behind me, seeing every inch of Australia.

Life is a gift and too short to waste.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2014, 05:50:19 PM »
We know...

It is, and it does. It's more than just a forum...

Just stay in touch, and keep posting...

Best wishes mate.
Well put mate,
As Kev said, just keep posting and keep in touch.
We just may get to share a camp fire one day,  :cup:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »
Mav,

I haven't been on the forum for a while , and read your original post with a lump in my throat.  Mate ..  what can I say that hasn't been said?? ... probably nothing ... however there are a few things Id like to agree with and recommend.  YES, make the most of the time you have (because the reality doesn't look promising) and don't dwell on the little things ..time is precious, and loved ones even more so.

Importantly thought, do something once a week for YOURSELF ..... whether it is reading a book, going for a motorbike ride or just have a quiet beer ( I don't know your personal situation, so do something that you enjoy ) ... but it is important to look after yourself. I should point out that I deal with my wifes depression on an almost daily occurence, so you know where I'm coming from, in regards to struggling with the "sh*ttiness" in life.

Hopefully you can find comfort and help in this forum, they are a great bunch of people like that. And of course, my PM is always open if you need a chat!

Cheers Chippy :D

"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline bazt

• Tent User
  • Don’t believe everything you think
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2014, 09:20:23 PM »
+1 what Chippie said, you are the main person in her life at present and she need you more than ever so you need to look after yourself as well as her.
bazt

2013 Navara ST-X Blackline V6
MDC XT17 HRT
2011 VW Golf R

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2014, 06:52:29 AM »
Thanks.

Kinda feels odd saying it on a forum. Feels like a AA meeting

I've been reading through this thread as for some reason I missed it. Here's my take on things.

You don't realise how many people are fighting this hideous disease, until you come in contact or do something for a research organization. I did a Charity Ride back in 1980 or 81 from Ipswich to Cairns to raise money for Cancer Research and ever since then my awareness of what people go through was lifted ten fold.

Talking to strangers about health issues is far easier I believe, because they have no preconceived opinions of you and can offer unbiased answers and thoughts.

The last person that I knew for over 35yrs that had it and lost the battle confounded the Drs with how long he survived but it was the love of his cycling that prolonged the inevitable and he was still doing it until a few months from the end. So what I'm saying is, combine the diet and something that you love doing and it may help keep it at bay for long and make living a little bit better sometimes and there is quite a lot written about this.

My thoughts are with you and your wife, Mav and you should never apologise for talking about these things, ever, because it can eat at you and then you can't be as strong and supportive for your loved one!

Foo

So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2014, 09:45:26 PM »
Thank you to everyone for there kind words. It means so much to us.

Unfortunately today we had a massive scare while delivering the kayak to GreenRV in Redcliffe.

As we were pulling out from his shop. My wife turned to me and said ring the ambulance NOW. She had absolutely no idea who I was,where she was or even how old she is. Ontop of all that she had lost all her vision.

Thankfully the ambulance were there within minutes and immediately started pumping her with 500mls of saline. They then rushed her to Redcliffe hospital where they pumped another 1 litre of saline in her.

The doctors and paramedics both said she was severely dehydrated which caused her to almost faint.

All I can say is that was the scariest thing of our lives.

I always did but now I have the utmost respect for doctors and paramedics. They were fantastic.

Maverick01