Author Topic: Electric chainsaws  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
Electric chainsaws
« on: December 11, 2020, 08:33:23 PM »
Was looking to buy a mid range Stihl chainsaw for my Dad for Christmas. About $500.
 I get all their firewood now so he really only needs a saw for cutting the 4 to 6 inch limbs I include in a load of firewood so doesn't feel totally redundant, and for cutting a bit of campfire wood.

However one of the local retail outlets suggested the mid range Stihl was no good due to the very light gauge chain that aren't stocked in many places and very hard to sharpen. He instead suggested I look at an Ego due to a proper sized chain, or look at the $750, $1000 Stihls. He couldn’t tell me the price of an Ego due to not selling them, but said they were still a reasonable quality saw.

However, I have been looking around at others and it seems that all have small gauge chains, even the Ego.

Anyone offer advice on how "bad" these small guage chains are? Or any other constructive comments?

NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Electric chainsaws
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 05:39:10 AM »
I do a lot of work with Blazeaid.
We have always used Stihl for our petrol chainsaws and never had a problem.
For some of the lighter work when fencing we decided to go battery for ease of use.
We finished up with a variety of saws through donations even though we had decided on Makita as we have other Makita gear in our trailers.
We have one Ego that does a great job. Several Huskies that are OK. Several Stihl that have now been put to the back of the shelf due to the light chain.
Our preffered brand is the Makita. Normal chain, interchangeable batteries and very easy to use.
The above are my observations and experience from South Australia.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 08:02:21 AM »
Does he have a collection of other battery tools eg Ryobi, Ozito or whatever ???

If so, go for one of them so that the batteries all fit everything.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 08:30:00 AM »
If I hadn't bough my Stihl ms170, which I reckon does a great job for small stuff, I would of got the Makita, cause now I have 7x5amp batteries, plus the 12V to 18V charger.

What ever works for you :)

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag. :)

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 08:44:05 AM »
so he really only needs a saw for cutting the 4 to 6 inch limbs I include in a load of firewood so doesn't feel totally redundant, and for cutting a bit of campfire wood.

However one of the local retail outlets suggested the mid range Stihl was no good due to the very light gauge chain
?

What about the bottom of the range Stihl ( or Huskie ).  If they put a light gauge chain on them, I can't see a problem. I have a baby Huskie and have bought chains and bars on ebay....never had a problem. Buy a spare chain as a backup.
Has anyone ever broken a chain ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 08:47:22 AM »
We have an AEG 58 V, Not up on chain sizes / dont know if its std or not .. Unit has a solid feel to it, not overly heavy   but still easy to use..Being new it cuts like a hot knife through butter ..  As for battery life it lasted plenty to chop up a dead / hardened 6" tree trunk  about 12' long into 1' long bits and clean up other 3" branches plus a  20' hedge ..
Battery then went into the big whipper snipper and did a standard house block.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:09:12 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 09:40:22 AM »
I got the smallest 170 stihl its amazing bit of kit bought the stihl sharpener at same time, that does the rakers and angels and sharpens in one go, I go up the Cape Every year and cut around 5 ton of Fire wood each trip for a few camps it dry hard timber, Ive cut palms and trees and heaps of fire wood for myself at home in the nearly 4 years I owned it and I am still on the first chain, But my next saw will be a Makita as I have 4 batteries great to take away in my wind up Van no petrol smell around the van or in the 4wd, The bigger Sihls should be fantastic to, I had two 076 supers when I was cutting split posts, one go smashed while falling a big tree the other got nicked out my brothers shed.  Th school I work at has stihl battery saws amazing bit of gear,  run for 20 minutes solid cutting
Craig   
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 05:25:41 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »
I had a big stihl for nearly 30 years. Great chainsaw but I used it infrequently in recent years and it was becoming cumbersome to take along camping. Gave it to my oldest son and bought myself a Milwaukee M18 electric saw. Happy with it for what I do and I have plenty of batteries as I have bought into the Milwaukee system.

Offline Bookleaf

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 01:08:07 PM »
Does he have a collection of other battery tools eg Ryobi, Ozito or whatever ???

If so, go for one of them so that the batteries all fit everything.

This
As it is just for the odd small branch and not the heavy work, then, no matter what the brand, it will meet your dads needs.
I have a 12"AEG chainsaw to use around the house for just the same use as you are looking for, for your dad.  Got it because I have AEG other stuff and batteries.
Suits my needs.  Yes, it has a light chain, and (I have since discovered) an unusual cutting tooth size (parts from USA), but it does what I want.
Isuzu MUX, LS-M, Cameron Canvas Camper

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 08:07:45 PM »
I have two Makitas, one 240v and one twin 18v. Both have narrow chains but they haven't been an issue, either in use or sharpening. The narrower chain has less drag so beneficial for a battery or any low powered saw.

Offline Let560

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 09:27:08 PM »
We use the small 18v ryobi chainsaw for fire wood while camping. Using the 5ah battery the box says upto 40 cuts and up to 30cm thick. Great little saw and a bonus it's quite so no waking anyone up when you haven't cut enough wood for the fire and you need those 1 or 10 more pieces of wood  :cheers:

Offline westvic

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 05:25:10 AM »
What about the bottom of the range Stihl ( or Huskie ).  If they put a light gauge chain on them, I can't see a problem. I have a baby Huskie and have bought chains and bars on ebay....never had a problem. Buy a spare chain as a backup.
Has anyone ever broken a chain ?

I've got the baby Huskie too. Yep it has a narrow "light" chain. I mainly use it for campfire wood and occasional track clearing. Works a treat especially if you keep the chain sharp. I also carry a spare chain.

The main problem I have found is that with prolonged use the chain heats up and stretches. I can usually fill a 6X4 trailer with 15cm to 30cm logs with a couple of short breaks. Never broken a chain.
Getting there if half the fun

The other half is a cold beer when you do.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 07:00:50 AM »
I been using that new full synthetic bar oil now for a few years its fantastic, still on first chain, Craig 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 07:43:04 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer