Author Topic: Portable gas bbq / burner  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Clausp

• Learning the Ropes
Portable gas bbq / burner
« on: August 11, 2019, 04:29:35 PM »
Hello all, looking for some recommendations on what type of gas portable bbq and burner, people out there are using. Also what to stay clear of...
Looking for something that folds and stores away easily but can take on any cooking challenge without break the budget...
any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Portable gas bbq / burner
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 04:51:31 PM »
Hello all, looking for some recommendations on what type of gas portable bbq and burner, people out there are using. Also what to stay clear of...
Looking for something that folds and stores away easily but can take on any cooking challenge without break the budget...
Cheers
whats your budget?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 04:55:03 PM »
Cheers
Baby Q  is Cool or a really Hot thing  , what ever you see it as                       :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Clausp

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 07:15:40 PM »
Don’t really have a budget yet, more trying to find the right bbq.. Baby Q doesn’t fold up enough for the space I have for it. 

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 07:39:47 PM »
. Baby Q doesn’t fold up enough for the space I have for it.
Take the lid off, takes 5 seconds.

Offline Clausp

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 07:49:40 PM »
Thanks for the tip r taking the lid of a Baby Q, but not what I am looking for..more of a 2 or 3 burner fold up bbq.. should have been specific..

Online bob65

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 08:26:42 PM »
I have one of those 3 burner type bbq/stove type of things. (everyone has seen them, either 2 or 3 burners, lid folds back and side windbreaks fold out). I have a stand that it sits on to use, just chrome wire type thing so it is free standing and not taking any bench space from you.

Couple one of these with the cast iron hotplate to suit and they are very handy indeed.

The main advantage of this is you can lift off the hotplate and use the burners just like the stove top at home.

Fold down quite small, add a gas bottle and take anywhere.

It does have its limitations, like its size. If you are cooking for more than 2 or 3 it seems a bit on the small size and you have to cook some things, then take them off and cook some more things.

I have been using one of these for a week at a time 2 or 3 times a year for the last 15 years.
The following users thanked this post: Clausp

Offline Clausp

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »
Thank you all

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 09:19:00 PM »
I'd avoid high pressure gas as the fine jets have a tendency to get clogged if dust gets into them. Anything with a regulator will have bigger jets and less likely to clog.

I'm a big fan of the Coleman Dual Fuel stoves. Run on unleaded or shelite and put out good heat. They take a bit of ginning around to get lit though.

I also like the cheap stoves that use the disposable butane cans. Really handy for a quick breakfast or cuppa, but if its cold they can be a bit sluggish as the butane struggles to vaporize

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 11:03:38 AM »
I have one of these - works well for me
https://www.coleman.com/camp-propane-grillstove/2000020929.html

Personally steer clear of the dual fuel ones. Had one, was the worse hunk of Shit i've ever tried cooking on.

But I'd happily leave a kid at home for a Baby Q.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 11:36:41 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 11:29:30 AM »
Don’t really have a budget yet, more trying to find the right bbq.. Baby Q doesn’t fold up enough for the space I have for it.
Can remove the plastic  base with a little thought and redesign of the gas tap area easily enough to make it shorter / lower and the lid is only two pins holding it on / remove it to make it lower in height again  ... Make up 4 x 30 x 30 x 50 mm shs sockets bolted to the body posts the plastic frame screws to and have 4 x 25 x 25 shs ally slide in / out removable legs .
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 12:16:51 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 05:17:42 PM »

Personally steer clear of the dual fuel ones. Had one, was the worse hunk of Shit i've ever tried cooking on.

Dual fuel for me any day. Too many problems with gas and dangerous (saw a Landcruiser Troopy blown apart after it suffered a gas leak in the back). I've used Dual fuel for many years as single burner stoves but now have a 2 burner - it's great.
Everybody has their own preference.

Dan.