Author Topic: Burst Plumbing  (Read 10100 times)

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Burst Plumbing
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
It happened to a bloke my wife works with.

They went on a cruise and the hot water pipe split in the en-suite. The vanity basically collapsed from being water logged and clogged the floor drain. Bedroom floor flooded, plasterboard slumped off the walls from the steam and the water soaked through the floor and caused the ceiling downstairs to also collapse into the dining room table.

So when they got home feeling tired and a bit sick after a 5 day cruise took 8 days because a storm wouldn't allow them to make port, they walk into home and find the moldy carnage and couldn't even have a shower and get some clean clothes on. 

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 09:00:07 PM »
I asked the same question of the insurance assessor, as the house was built in 2000 and it is a bathroom floor apparently full waterproofing wasn't required then, only the shower and bath.

Full water proofing of structure board flooring has been a Performance requirements of the BCA since  1996 and AS 3740 have been around longer. I was waterproofing bathrooms when I started my own plumbing business in 1990 and always was required to do full floors when timber was used back then.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 09:09:27 PM »
Full water proofing of structure board flooring has been a Performance requirements of the BCA since  1996 and AS 3740 have been around longer. I was waterproofing bathrooms when I started my own plumbing business in 1990 and always was required to do full floors when timber was used back then.

Interesting, I thought it sounded odd but had to take his word for it.

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline me217

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 10:16:54 PM »
they just dont build houses like they used to. our shower fixture started leaking a few years back, leaked for about a week. inside the wall. not pouring out, just a dribble. noticed it when i went under the house and there was water running out the floor.

anyway. the house was built about 60 years ago, so plenty of hardwood. fixed the leak. and no damage to the house.
https://t.me/pump_upp

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 04:52:43 AM »

Gezzzz....I'm really p1ssed off now.....we have about 15 blowers and 2 dryers running in the house.... noisy as hell....keeps tripping half the power point switches......AND i'm going to find out ..WHO is paying for the power to run the friggind things...they said they could be running for days....we can't live in the house while all this noise is going on...ffs..... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(.......I'm officially ....a grumpy old man
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 05:27:31 AM »

Gezzzz....I'm really p1ssed off now.....we have about 15 blowers and 2 dryers running in the house.... noisy as hell....keeps tripping half the power point switches......AND i'm going to find out ..WHO is paying for the power to run the friggind things...they said they could be running for days....we can't live in the house while all this noise is going on...ffs..... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(.......I'm officially ....a grumpy old man

Looks like we might have to cancel our visit mate.  :'(
Sorry to hear about the mess you've got there.

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 06:21:22 AM »
Depending on who you are insured with they'll pay for a local motel. I'd also be asking for the moisture test results from inside the walls and under any cabinetry to be sure they've dried it out properly. Half of them haven't got a clue.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:26:40 AM by GBC »

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2017, 06:42:27 AM »

i'd be hiring and running some dehumidifier's in the place if it was my house.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2017, 07:00:37 AM »
i'd be hiring and running some dehumidifier's in the place if it was my house.
Yep what he said. You need to get rid of the moisture in the rooms. Otherwise mound will set in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 07:38:47 AM »

we have about 15 blowers and 2 dryers running in the house.... WHO is paying for the power to run the friggind things...we can't live in the house while all this noise is going on

Tracker

That's what I mentioned before - talk to insurance to see if they are going to cover electricity & also water (maybe not much in water costs as probably "only" a 1000l or so)

Do you have enough room to set the CT up & camp in it while work is going on?
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »
Yep what he said. You need to get rid of the moisture in the rooms. Otherwise mound will set in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you'll find that the 2 'dryers' he is speaking of are dehumidifiers.

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »

Just been informed....moving into The Quest units  till at least Tues..need a 1 bedroom because wifey is on night shift......The temp. in the house at this momnent is 35 deg......Seems the skirting is to be removed to allow drying..... They are paying for power during the running of these blowers ect....The doberman is out at the kennels ...
                      Cheers Tracker.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:47:11 AM by tracker »

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2017, 05:34:54 PM »
I think you'll find that the 2 'dryers' he is speaking of are dehumidifiers.
could just be the heater things you see Reno shows using to dry paint quicker also...they need to be sure to be using the right equipment for a job like this is what we are suggesting.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline raider

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 07:56:59 PM »
We had a washing machine hose fail and came home to water running out the back door. Flooded half the house so Insurance company got their "expert" to come and sort it. He said he would try and recover the carpet by using the blowers for 3 days( he only came back once and I was moving the blowers around) but we still had the option to go for new carpet if we weren't happy - the carpet was crap and we wanted to change it anyway. We got a quote from a local carpet bloke who said it was cheap carpet so approached the insurance company to discuss us paying our share for the whole lot. Their "expert" then said that the carpet was a good wool blend and in his opinion it came up excellent. Insurance refused to provide new carpet so we changed it not long down the track. The wife had to speak to the insurance company about something and in discussion found out that their carpet "expert" had charged 4600 bucks for what he did. My wife pointed out that he ripped them off and it would have cost them less to do it our way.
Don't live a life of going-to-do's and die with nothing done

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 08:18:40 PM »
Wool carpets shrink when they get wet and generally can't be relayed successfully.  No ifs no buts. I've repaired mansions with imported wool carpets worth $25k for just the bedroom floor. If it's wool it goes in the bin. Some of the repair bills for stupid stuff I've seen would make your eyes water.

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »
Clutter in house....

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 09:06:57 AM »
Hey Tracker, how's the house going mate ???

Sorted yet ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
Hey Tracker, how's the house going mate ???

Sorted yet ???

Getting there slowly mate......the drying guy's have vacated....some of the skirtings have been removed or half hanging off......the guy's who handle the carpentry and joinery will be hear to-morrow to make an assessment then i think there joing to call for 3 quotes for the job....so  i feel there will be a wait for commencement of works.

Cheers Tracker.