Author Topic: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.  (Read 302737 times)

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.
« Reply #1500 on: September 21, 2020, 07:36:15 PM »
Or maybe the coppers were doing the right thing.....

If you ladies keep walking, then you are still exercising.

Win, win. 

and the people who bitch about the police not doing their job, won't have anything to complain about.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1501 on: September 21, 2020, 07:39:35 PM »
Some common sense...

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/coronavirus-victoria-police-order-law-professor-and-elderly-mother-to-keep-walking/news-story/d367e6c4e05b48b45b673fdc5b9f0cec

She suggests Victoria Police and the state government have lost sight of the ultimate purpose of the restrictions, which is to stop COVID-19 transmission.

Instead, the rules are being enforced for the rules’ sake – even if there is clearly no risk.

“If there is a person in a park without a mask on and there’s no one within a kilometre, for God’s sake, let it go,” she said.

Very true, was told very early that every person encountered is a potential jurer.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #1502 on: September 21, 2020, 07:50:37 PM »
How to cope?
Do the right thing, don't be a dick, don't think you are special, simples.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)
The following users thanked this post: NZMarkb

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #1503 on: September 21, 2020, 09:54:26 PM »
How to cope?
:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1504 on: September 22, 2020, 07:35:40 AM »
How to cope?

It's actually not that 'simples' to 'cope' if you live in MEL. Lots of 'advice' coming from people who live in other states who have no grasp on what the current 'rules' are doing to people and communities because they are not living through it. Our family is fortunate that we currently both still have jobs and only our routine has changed. A number of people I know in my network have lost jobs, businesses, families and more. They are living with that stress every minute whilst having to sit and wait at 'home' until the 'rules' are changed before they can do anything about it. Consider being supportive rather than flippant next time you post.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1505 on: September 22, 2020, 07:53:28 AM »

Consider being supportive rather than flippant next time you post.
People believe they have a right, entitlement and think they know better.

And BTW I have been supportive.

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #1506 on: September 22, 2020, 08:45:32 AM »
It's actually not that 'simples' to 'cope' if you live in MEL. Lots of 'advice' coming from people who live in other states who have no grasp on what the current 'rules' are doing to people and communities because they are not living through it. Our family is fortunate that we currently both still have jobs and only our routine has changed. A number of people I know in my network have lost jobs, businesses, families and more. They are living with that stress every minute whilst having to sit and wait at 'home' until the 'rules' are changed before they can do anything about it. Consider being supportive rather than flippant next time you post.
Well said Jamie.
It is very very tough for many people, even more so now we have been further divided from regional Victoria.
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
The following users thanked this post: D4D, slave

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #1507 on: September 22, 2020, 08:46:31 AM »
People believe they have a right, entitlement and think they know better.

And BTW I have been supportive.
Yes you have Hairs, and it is appreciated mate
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1508 on: September 22, 2020, 11:10:23 AM »
It is tough.
I'm lucky I go to work, wear a mask all day long and then go home.  No there outside interaction.

My wife's work has slowed down a bit, and is working from home. The management committee has now decided everyone is on job keeper, including her.  Some are doing Zero hours. For her job keeper covers 2 days pay.  She is still doing a lot more than that.

Kids are doing home schooling which is okay, except they and every school kid is slowly falling behind where they would otherwise be.

I have friends whose business has virtually stopped, but don't qualify for job keeper.   

Another one who told me she had not been outside her house in 2 days. I don't mean out of her property, but out the door.  In normal times I would suggest she has some serious issues and needs help.
The following users thanked this post: D4D

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1509 on: September 22, 2020, 11:12:19 AM »
Quote from: #jonesy
Kids are doing home schooling which is okay, except they and every school kid is slowly falling behind where they would otherwise be.
this lots... daughters school they have a chat in morning for hour, then teacher points to work and pisses off. "if you need help, email me"... to which they rarely get a reply until tomorrow
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1510 on: September 22, 2020, 08:08:31 PM »
this lots... daughters school they have a chat in morning for hour, then teacher points to work and pisses off. "if you need help, email me"... to which they rarely get a reply until tomorrow

And yet my wife (in her second year as a teacher at 50 years old) starts making video presentations for her kids at 7am, has at least one group video conference with her class every day, and numerous smaller group video conferences throughout the day.

She finishes about 5pm, then is back on computer after tea until about 9pm making more presentations, and pictorials, and generally lots of fun activities to try to help keep the kids engaged while they suffer through this home schooling saga.

In summary, it is not good for teachers or students. The school holidays have come just in time as I have started to worry about her well being. 
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1511 on: September 22, 2020, 09:39:57 PM »
My kids school has been good as well (year 7+9), but online vs in person are miles apart.
You just can't deliver as much in the same time.
Plus no real hands on.  Eg year 9 science/ chemistry.

I have a couple of friends who are teachers and they.have some students they haven't seen online at all.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1513 on: September 23, 2020, 10:49:33 AM »
And yet my wife (in her second year as a teacher at 50 years old) starts making video presentations for her kids at 7am, has at least one group video conference with her class every day, and numerous smaller group video conferences throughout the day.

She finishes about 5pm, then is back on computer after tea until about 9pm making more presentations, and pictorials, and generally lots of fun activities to try to help keep the kids engaged while they suffer through this home schooling saga.

In summary, it is not good for teachers or students. The school holidays have come just in time as I have started to worry about her well being.
my wife is a pre-school teacher (in Sydney) and is diabetic and asthmatic. So she is high risk. Back in March/April, because they didn't "officially" close the schools down... she was given a choice by her employer (a local council).

work and be paid... or stay at home (with their blessing). And not be paid.

after much heart wrenching we were ready to redo our home budget to allow her to stay home and be safe. But her immediate manager went to bat for her and got her 2 weeks working from home (paid) leading into the school holidays. Then two weeks of school holidays (UNPAID... thank you Penrith City Council), then another 4 weeks working from home (paid again)

she spent every day, from 7.30am to 7.30pm, on zoom chats with groups of kids, with individual kids and recording herself reading books to them, then Zoom meetings with parents in groups and individually and with her co workers.

She was, in the end, happy to go back to work... and thankfully by then, the main wave in Sydney had passed slightly.

end of this week, she is on (forced) "holidays" again for two weeks. (as always... without pay) And... as always... she'll spend most of the "holidays" doing advance prep work for when she goes back.

nope... I wouldn't be a teacher for quits.
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline tedota

• Tent User
« Reply #1514 on: September 23, 2020, 12:16:00 PM »
Agree. Teachers, nurse, and coppers. Underpaid and shown no respect.
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #1515 on: September 23, 2020, 03:23:48 PM »
Agree. Teachers, nurse, and coppers. Underpaid and shown no respect.

I think that's a bit of a broad statement. I'm sure that the greater percentage of people do appreciate the, at times, difficult job that anyone who has to deal with the general public has.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline ronmac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just love my wild turkey
« Reply #1516 on: September 23, 2020, 03:52:07 PM »
I think that's a bit of a broad statement. I'm sure that the greater percentage of people do appreciate the, at times, difficult job that anyone who has to deal with the general public has.

Totally agree, It's not just one specificent trade that's suffering, we are all in the same position some of the last comments are self  centered  seeking. I'm in a position far worse, as are a lot of other members, snap out of it and face reality. cheers Ron
The greatest gift you can give someone is your time, because when you give your time you are giving a portion of your life that you will never get back.

Well, strip my gears and call me Shiftless.

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #1517 on: September 23, 2020, 05:14:31 PM »
Ignoring the rhetoric, the data points are very interesting
https://www.smh.com.au/national/covid-19-has-hammered-home-some-uncomfortable-truths-about-us-as-a-people-20200915-p55vrb.html

Apparently Chris Uhlmann has a deeper insight into the ongoing health issues caused by Covid than lots of ‘experts’. Yes it kills the elderly, if they have pre-existing health issues, but to say ‘ Because now we know much more about the disease and, while it is a serious illness, it is a whole lot less frightening than it is made out to be.’ is utter crap. There have been Numerous cases where a sufferer has ‘recovered’, but 2-3 months after their ‘recovery’ they are still unable to perform, physically, as well as pre Covid infection. Nobody at this point in time knows what the long term effect is going to be for those young healthy people who caught it. An example - https://elemental.medium.com/the-long-term-health-impacts-of-being-infected-with-the-coronavirus-d3a03f3cb6e8
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1518 on: September 23, 2020, 05:41:55 PM »
Apparently Chris Uhlmann has a deeper insight into the ongoing health issues caused by Covid than lots of ‘experts’. Yes it kills the elderly, if they have pre-existing health issues, but to say ‘ Because now we know much more about the disease and, while it is a serious illness, it is a whole lot less frightening than it is made out to be.’ is utter crap. There have been Numerous cases where a sufferer has ‘recovered’, but 2-3 months after their ‘recovery’ they are still unable to perform, physically, as well as pre Covid infection. Nobody at this point in time knows what the long term effect is going to be for those young healthy people who caught it. An example - https://elemental.medium.com/the-long-term-health-impacts-of-being-infected-with-the-coronavirus-d3a03f3cb6e8
I reckon the highest 'liked' comment says a lot

'So easy to be wise after the event. If Victoria had just let it rip and many thousands died you would have been criticising the government for not doing enough.'
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1519 on: September 23, 2020, 06:22:32 PM »

I reckon the highest 'liked' comment says a lot

'So easy to be wise after the event. If Victoria had just let it rip and many thousands died you would have been criticising the government for not doing enough.'

Mate, it's a no win.
I for one wouldn't want to be a Polly in government(State, Fed)atm.

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #1520 on: September 23, 2020, 06:32:17 PM »
Another of ‘professor’ Uhlmann’s statements / stats re the Spanish flu, is selective at best. The Spanish flu ran for more than two years (we’re only living through the ninth month of covid) with the first wave being disregarded as a slightly different influenza. The second wave however was the killer. https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1521 on: September 23, 2020, 07:15:54 PM »

Mate, it's a no win.
I for one wouldn't want to be a Polly in government(State, Fed)atm.
x a 200series with a Shit airfilter system killing engines.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1522 on: September 23, 2020, 07:19:34 PM »
Had to think for a second.
Ehehe Cheers

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1523 on: September 24, 2020, 12:05:55 AM »
I don't think Chris's broader point can be as easily dismissed as some would like. We haven't begun to see the full financial pain caused by the pandemic due to the money the federal government has been pumping out, but this can't last forever.
We basically have placed a massive bet on Keynesian economics that we hope will pay off. If it doesn't though, the health effects of the virus on society will likely pale into insignificance in comparison to the economic effects of the response that are yet to come.

I think it's hard not to contrast the "second wave" experienced between that in Vic, and that in NSW and QLD though. Sure the latter two have had the advantage of seeing what has happened in Vic first, but they have successfully employed the sharp and targeted tool of contact tracing and quarantining cases to suppress the virus, which was always the strategy here in Australia, whereas the Vic government failed in this most fundamental part of the response and therefore has had to use the very blunt and indiscriminate tool of hard lock downs to suppress it, which has then also had the additional flow on effects of longer and stronger border closures across the rest of the country as well.
The following users thanked this post: D4D, paceman

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1524 on: September 24, 2020, 06:17:15 AM »
I don't think Chris's broader point can be as easily dismissed as some would like. We haven't begun to see the full financial pain caused by the pandemic due to the money the federal government has been pumping out, but this can't last forever.
We basically have placed a massive bet on Keynesian economics that we hope will pay off. If it doesn't though, the health effects of the virus on society will likely pale into insignificance in comparison to the economic effects of the response that are yet to come.

I think it's hard not to contrast the "second wave" experienced between that in Vic, and that in NSW and QLD though. Sure the latter two have had the advantage of seeing what has happened in Vic first, but they have successfully employed the sharp and targeted tool of contact tracing and quarantining cases to suppress the virus, which was always the strategy here in Australia, whereas the Vic government failed in this most fundamental part of the response and therefore has had to use the very blunt and indiscriminate tool of hard lock downs to suppress it, which has then also had the additional flow on effects of longer and stronger border closures across the rest of the country as well.

Spot on!

Work - Outback
Play - Prado