Author Topic: Slide-On Camper or Motorhome  (Read 11361 times)

UIZ733

Slide-On Camper or Motorhome
« on: November 25, 2016, 01:24:14 PM »
Questions on behalf of friends of ours who do not frequent any forums.
They are a very active couple in their late 60’s. Current setup is a Jayco Starcraft outback with independent suspension towed by a very well equipped 3 year old Pajero. The have had other campers/caravans previously also. They like ‘touring’ which includes ‘free camps’ when appropriate. Love National Parks. Not averse to the idea of staying put in a nice place for 2-3 weeks if it suits. They love the Simpson Desert which is done in a tent.
After a recent mid-year trip to Alice Springs and surrounds they began to realise that current setup which is VERY COMFORTABLE has some limiting factors. Some of the factors include;
1.Overall Size. Their current setup whilst small by some standards is never the less long and wide. This restricts entry to some interesting ‘camping’ areas.
2.Weight. Current setup is a bit over 2 tonnes.
3.Off road limitations. The Pajero is amazing off-road and the Starcraft is very capable also. When the two are combined however the scenario changes dramatically. It is quite easy to get into ‘trouble’ even without being a cowboy. We are talking a very capable bush operator here, however he still feels that the Starcraft needs to be towed by an F250 or Dodge Ram to achieve its full potential.
4.No capacity to take current setup on Moreton or Fraser Island. (I know some do…..they wont).

They have a good look at our Vista and now the Tufftrax. The compact size of both is appealing. They think the weight of both is still a concern. The Jurgens in their eyes is excellent value for money, the Vista less so due to a more ‘spartan’ approach. The lack of an ‘on-board’ dedicated shower and toilet is however the real deal-breaker.
Most Hybrids appear massively overpriced to them. Have to say I agree. They have looked at a Quantum and said it felt ‘bloated’ and very expensive. They describe many or most of the hybrids as ‘flash beds on wheels’.
I have suggested 4X4 motor-homes and slide-on as a compromise. They have investigated both. Bus style motor-homes do not appeal. Motor-homes on cab chassis has some appeal.
Slide-on with shower and toilet has greatest appeal at this stage. The American (Palomino and Northstar) based product looks OK however they are heavy and reek of American design. They have no interest in owning an F250 which is what these products  were designed for.
A product they found ticked many boxes is Active Campers Vantage which is designed and manufactured in Woolgoolga NSW. It weighs in at 500Kg Tare. This includes the weight of one battery and two full 4Kg gas cylinders. Fully laden on a BT50, Amorok Ranger, it should (famous last words) be comfortably legal. The real appeal with this product is the Australian design intended for locally imported dual, single or one and a half cab utes. All Active users they have spoken to, appear to be very satisfied with the product.
Questions; Does anybody have any experiences of ‘jumping ship’ form a caravan to something like the Active Camper?
Is it too big a compromise?
Why are Slide-on style motor-home/campers not more popular?
Apologies for the ramble.

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Slide-On Camper or Motorhome
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 02:52:50 PM »
A good 4x4 Canter can be had for under 40K. A second hand slide on or even a pop top van with axle taken off can be fitted cheaply.
Something like this can be put together relatively cheap and very capable to do everything they do at present.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »
Hi,
   It won't suit everyone, but we like our Innovan.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 11:09:10 PM »
There are heaps of slide-ons around just have to find them.  As you say it is surprising there is not more on the road.

http://www.campertrailers.org/slide_ons.htm

If only I could talk the bride back into a trayback I would be going either

WedgeTail  http://www.wedgetailcampers.com.au/

Trayon http://www.trayon.com/

or their sister camper Traytek http://www.traytek.com.au/

If I had the skills I would be looking custom and combining features from all three with a hard pop top roof. 

I just noticed Traytek have still not updated their website with their new camper try this one  http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/camping-slide-on-campers/tray-tek-tailgter-and-tailgater-plus
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 11:12:07 PM by alnjan »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 11:20:20 PM »
Could go  the mog way like these guys .    http://www.greataussieadventure.com.au/
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 12:31:10 AM »
Having previously owned a Travelander Slideon;  I can suggest the following key issues (in the form of questions);  .. from my camping experience with these units...

### its vitally important to determine whether your friends are seeking only a type of "Cape York" ... camping experience for their foreseeable future??

By this what I mean is that in my experience ## ...their experience will be that of traveling and touring from place to place;   and that their experience WILL be that of staying WITH their camp and rig ##  100% of the time....

Its very difficult; (read for practical purposes impossible) to "drive around and explore" the local area or town; as they will have to totally dismantle and pack up their campsite every single time do do so...   

Apart from the limitations as above...   think of the practical setbacks of simply wishing they could drive off freely to the local pub or RSL for a meal; drive to the nearby village for a paper, pie, or ice cream; or an otherwise reachable CP for a decent hot shower; or a simple drive somewhere nearby to dump some rubbish...   "Ain't going to happen"  in my experience ###  you are stuck; and will stay put around the campsite ..

So as I say - a slide on is great for when you are driving daily from point to point; and seeking to sleep in your rig overnight; a different location basically each and every night; (like say for a Cape York trip)...   

But for anything else as I have articulated above - practically useless in my experience....

And before your friends get sucked into the "lie" that the particular slideon they are going to shell out their hard earned  $30K - $60K on - can be simply slid off their tray deck - so that they will be able to drive their fourby around and enjoy the things I mention above ## can I suggest the following...

1.  Get a list off the supplier of clients who have owned their slideon for say 2+ years ###  where the manufacturer is confident that these owners will vouch for the practicality of removing the thing; and putting it back on the tray - away from home and in the bush "free camping"...

2.  Urge your friends to give it a go themselves ## totally unassisted - at least half a dozen times....   totally taking the thing off the tray deck; and then packing it all up and reversing the fourby up under it and dropping it back on to the tray again; before they hand over their deposit ...    In my experience way way less practical a proposition than one would imagine - never having done it...

3.   Before they buy;  make sure they fully experience what the things feel like off the tray. ....   How much jelly wobble is there inside there when the slideon is being supported by its spindly legs only....    There is a reason that the prospector NEVER gets the chance to experience them off the fourby ute tray at the camping and caravan shows in the cities imho....

4..  Then there is the issue of tonnage....   If the average fourby ute has a payload of 1tn  ## absolutely make sure what your friends want to buy ###  weighs no more than say 500kgs WET weight. ..   that's all in with say 90 kgs of water; 60kgs of AGM batteries; the fridge, and full say 50kgs; 14kgs of water in the hot water system;  20kgs? of gas etc etc....

Because that will just leave them with a scant approx 500kgs for every other bit of payload...  ie: Driver and passenger; full tank of fuel; spares and recovery gear; clothes and food and beers and jerrys; all their camping gear; the bull bar and winch and roof rack; etc etc etc...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

UIZ733

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 07:46:02 AM »
Hi,
   It won't suit everyone, but we like our Innovan.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
I have read your trip reports and it is obvious you enjoy the Innovan.
Would or do you ever set it up in a 'favourite' location for an extended stay?
What did you have prior to the Innovan?
What are the biggest disadvantages or limitations with this type of set-up?

UIZ733

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 07:59:00 AM »
Having previously owned a Travelander Slideon;  I can suggest the following key issues (in the form of questions);  .. from my camping experience with these units...

### its vitally important to determine whether your friends are seeking only a type of "Cape York" ... camping experience for their foreseeable future??
Opening post covers this.

By this what I mean is that in my experience ## ...their experience will be that of traveling and touring from place to place;   and that their experience WILL be that of staying WITH their camp and rig ##  100% of the time....

Its very difficult; (read for practical purposes impossible) to "drive around and explore" the local area or town; as they will have to totally dismantle and pack up their campsite every single time do do so...   

Apart from the limitations as above...   think of the practical setbacks of simply wishing they could drive off freely to the local pub or RSL for a meal; drive to the nearby village for a paper, pie, or ice cream; or an otherwise reachable CP for a decent hot shower; or a simple drive somewhere nearby to dump some rubbish...   "Ain't going to happen"  in my experience ###  you are stuck; and will stay put around the campsite ..

So as I say - a slide on is great for when you are driving daily from point to point; and seeking to sleep in your rig overnight; a different location basically each and every night; (like say for a Cape York trip)...   

But for anything else as I have articulated above - practically useless in my experience....

And before your friends get sucked into the "lie" that the particular slideon they are going to shell out their hard earned  $30K - $60K on - can be simply slid off their tray deck - so that they will be able to drive their fourby around and enjoy the things I mention above ## can I suggest the following...

1.  Get a list off the supplier of clients who have owned their slideon for say 2+ years ###  where the manufacturer is confident that these owners will vouch for the practicality of removing the thing; and putting it back on the tray - away from home and in the bush "free camping"...

2.  Urge your friends to give it a go themselves ## totally unassisted - at least half a dozen times....   totally taking the thing off the tray deck; and then packing it all up and reversing the fourby up under it and dropping it back on to the tray again; before they hand over their deposit ...    In my experience way way less practical a proposition than one would imagine - never having done it...

3.   Before they buy;  make sure they fully experience what the things feel like off the tray. ....   How much jelly wobble is there inside there when the slideon is being supported by its spindly legs only....    There is a reason that the prospector NEVER gets the chance to experience them off the fourby ute tray at the camping and caravan shows in the cities imho....
They have with Active and said it was 'rock solid'.
4..  Then there is the issue of tonnage....   If the average fourby ute has a payload of 1tn  ## absolutely make sure what your friends want to buy ###  weighs no more than say 500kgs WET weight. ..   that's all in with say 90 kgs of water; 60kgs of AGM batteries; the fridge, and full say 50kgs; 14kgs of water in the hot water system;  20kgs? of gas etc etc....
Valid and concerning point. No different to most other campers and caravans. Forums and Internet are  littered with stories of woe. Hardly a manufacturer is exempt.
Because that will just leave them with a scant approx 500kgs for every other bit of payload...  ie: Driver and passenger; full tank of fuel; spares and recovery gear; clothes and food and beers and jerrys; all their camping gear; the bull bar and winch and roof rack; etc etc etc...

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 08:32:05 AM »
We can go from this to this and the trailer is dual purpose (camper, garden/rubbish trailer) oh you do not need to own a Isuzu MU to do it  :D ;D yep no it is not a slide on or motor home, but if you buy a motor home you will still need another vehicle.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:56:44 AM by Isuzumu »
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 09:33:03 AM »

Hi,
Would or do you ever set it up in a 'favourite' location for an extended stay?
Yes, we have stayed a week or so in the one spot, usually when camping with friends. The innovan is not as 'social' as say a camper trailer with a huge awning area to sit around in and chat.
We find we tend to gravitate to the larger 'amenities' when camped in a group as ours are really designed for a couple.

What did you have prior to the Innovan?
Motorbike and tent before kids.
Car, trailer and tent when kids were small.
Motorhome when the kids were a bit bigger until they drove their own vehicles.
Bought the Landrover and Innovan when I retired in 2010.

What are the biggest disadvantages or limitations with this type of set-up?
It is quite 'cosy' and you need to be active to use it. i.e. only room for one person to cook on the  inside stove  - the other needs to be outside or sitting down at the table.
Really only room for one at a time to get out of bed and get dressed at a time.  One has to move if the other wishes to get past in the isle area. (You are living in a box on a ute tray. but it is WAY better than a hike tent.
Twin beds, BUT the mattresses can be put across the table, with the two seat cushions to make a double bed  for happy hours.
The Innovan has HUGE storage, BUT the bulk of it is accessed form outside, which is fine if you organise it well.

Other issues to consider.

Forget putting it up on legs at a campsite.  The legs are 10kg each and occupy a large space.  I cross chain the unit when it is parked at home on the legs on a concrete slab and it is very stable when this is done.
You could do it at a long term camp, but I wouldn't.

It is practical to stop for lunch and fully set up, takes maybe 1 minute once on a level spot. (gas on, unlatch, lift, drop stairs, pull awning, open door)  It is just as quick to get going again once every thing inside is tidy.

It is also quite practical to explore local areas and return to the same campsite each night, we have done this at plenty of popular spots like Katooma, Dubbo, Melrose etc.  Setting up and breaking camp is not an issue.

The unit is 2.4m high, so multi-level carparks are too low to use.

One of the main reasons we went for the Innovan was no canvas. Tassie is a cool damp climate and after years of drying tents when getting home, it was on the 'not to do' list.

It takes me about 30 minutes to load/unload the camper off the ute.  It could be done in about half the time with less faffing about and being organised.

Yell if you have more queries.

cheers

UIZ733

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 11:22:07 AM »

Hi,Yes, we have stayed a week or so in the one spot, usually when camping with friends. The innovan is not as 'social' as say a camper trailer with a huge awning area to sit around in and chat.
We find we tend to gravitate to the larger 'amenities' when camped in a group as ours are really designed for a couple.

Motorbike and tent before kids.
Car, trailer and tent when kids were small.
Motorhome when the kids were a bit bigger until they drove their own vehicles.
Bought the Landrover and Innovan when I retired in 2010.

It is quite 'cosy' and you need to be active to use it. i.e. only room for one person to cook on the  inside stove  - the other needs to be outside or sitting down at the table.
Really only room for one at a time to get out of bed and get dressed at a time.  One has to move if the other wishes to get past in the isle area. (You are living in a box on a ute tray. but it is WAY better than a hike tent.
Twin beds, BUT the mattresses can be put across the table, with the two seat cushions to make a double bed  for happy hours.
The Innovan has HUGE storage, BUT the bulk of it is accessed form outside, which is fine if you organise it well.

Other issues to consider.

Forget putting it up on legs at a campsite.  The legs are 10kg each and occupy a large space.  I cross chain the unit when it is parked at home on the legs on a concrete slab and it is very stable when this is done.
You could do it at a long term camp, but I wouldn't.

It is practical to stop for lunch and fully set up, takes maybe 1 minute once on a level spot. (gas on, unlatch, lift, drop stairs, pull awning, open door)  It is just as quick to get going again once every thing inside is tidy.

It is also quite practical to explore local areas and return to the same campsite each night, we have done this at plenty of popular spots like Katooma, Dubbo, Melrose etc.  Setting up and breaking camp is not an issue.

The unit is 2.4m high, so multi-level carparks are too low to use.

One of the main reasons we went for the Innovan was no canvas. Tassie is a cool damp climate and after years of drying tents when getting home, it was on the 'not to do' list.

It takes me about 30 minutes to load/unload the camper off the ute.  It could be done in about half the time with less faffing about and being organised.

Yell if you have more queries.

cheers
A well considered and thorough response. Thank you.

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 04:21:15 PM »
WOW – sorry mate; that’s 40 minutes of my life I’ll never get back  ###  having given you a detailed answer; (typed from my phone); .. which I now feel was unappreciated; disrespected and dismissed..   ..but never mind; live and learn hey…

And thanks for shouting out:  Opening post covers this.

When I mentioned:

By this what I mean is that their experience will be that of traveling and touring from place to place;   and that their experience WILL be that of staying WITH their camp and rig ##  100% of the time....

I suggested the above in response to what you wrote in your OP:

They like ‘touring’ which includes ‘free camps’ when appropriate. Love National Parks. Not averse to the idea of staying put in a nice place for 2-3 weeks if it suits.

So I am sorry – I can’t see anywhere that your OP did "cover it"?

Having owned a slideon; (that I did take to Fraser island and camp on the dunes with, etc); I was just trying to shed some light on your last question/doubt, in your OP:

But no problems – happy to let you get on with your research  – I’m out…
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

UIZ733

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 05:34:49 PM »
WOW – sorry mate; that’s 40 minutes of my life I’ll never get back  ###  having given you a detailed answer; (typed from my phone); .. which I now feel was unappreciated; disrespected and dismissed..   ..but never mind; live and learn hey…

And thanks for shouting out:  Opening post covers this.

When I mentioned:

By this what I mean is that their experience will be that of traveling and touring from place to place;   and that their experience WILL be that of staying WITH their camp and rig ##  100% of the time....

I suggested the above in response to what you wrote in your OP:

They like ‘touring’ which includes ‘free camps’ when appropriate. Love National Parks. Not averse to the idea of staying put in a nice place for 2-3 weeks if it suits.

So I am sorry – I can’t see anywhere that your OP did "cover it"?

Having owned a slideon; (that I did take to Fraser island and camp on the dunes with, etc); I was just trying to shed some light on your last question/doubt, in your OP:

But no problems – happy to let you get on with your research  – I’m out…
Apologies. I was not shouting. I am typing on tablet and is quite difficult to control font size etc. Shouting is in capitals I thought anyway. 😊 Being a pedantic old fart, I still think the original post clearly outlined the scenario.
Thanks for your response. Any misdemeanors on my part were unintended.

UIZ733

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 12:02:20 PM »
A question for Base Camp, assuming he will talk to me.
Do you think your experiences with the Trvelander were more related to the Travelander than the concept of Slide-On campers as such.?
My reason for asking is that I know someone who  had  a bad experience with a premium hard floor camper and it swore him off hard floor campers for good

Offline Nifty1

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 12:33:32 PM »
In a similar style to the slide-ons, we have what some call a "stuck-on". It has turned out to be an excellent choice after the tent,caravan, camper trailer. Based on a single cab Hilux D4D manual 4wd. We bought it as an ex-hire unit (see Talvor Adventure Camper) and have made the modifications to suit us, like long range tank, under floor water tank, better fridge/freezer, porta dunny that slides out etc. We take a solar shower plus a 12v pump one, and one of those bloody pop up shower tents. The important things are the great QS bed which slides away to leave plenty of room, cooking facilities inside and out, awning. Also has an air conditioner which we used once and will probably remove as we almost never use powered sites. We did worry about the need to pack everything up every day we need to go anywhere but we take a couple of bikes and it hasn't been a problem. All packed up we travel right on the GVM and previous comments about slide-on weights are very valid. Costs the same as a car to take to Tassie, park in any standard car park, seems to go anywhere we want, and very cheap to buy. We look around at all the other options but haven't yet seen anything we would rather have, although the Active Camper with the internal shower looks good. Mates have expensive hybrid campers or slide-ons costing several times the price but are no happier or more flexible.
Tvan + Terracan
Hilux Adventure Camper
1999 Outback Sturt - an oldie but a goodie. Updated of course (passed on within family)

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
A question for Base Camp, assuming he will talk to me.
Do you think your experiences with the Trvelander were more related to the Travelander than the concept of Slide-On campers as such.?
My reason for asking is that I know someone who  had  a bad experience with a premium hard floor camper and it swore him off hard floor campers for good
Apologies for the delayed reply...   I've been off the air for a couple of days. ..  and thanks for your note in the next post up....    very much appreciated mate...   I reckon you're another good example of why many of the members on swaggers make this truly an awesome forum .... a big cheers   :)

So to answer your question; I'm sure my experience with the Travelander slideon jaded my opinion of slideons...  but whether it was specific to that model; I say maybe not....

The reason for this is due to what I perceive as the central issues to most slideons...

These would be:

## Lack of spare payload/capacity 
## Not practical to take the slideon off the ute and to put it back on whilst on tour - means
## You're stuck at your campsite and don't have a rig to explore with and do day trips with etc...
## The comfort level with the unit off the ute tray....

To get to the bottom of all these concerns were I buying one again; I would:-

## See how easy the on and off the tray was -- (preferably in the field); at least a half dozen or more times. ..
## I would not buy anything that had a wet weight of more than 400kgs - 500kgs; all in...
## I would check for things like if the gas cooking was enouraged inside the living area via a portable; ...  and whether the canvas and bed and bedding has to get strapped and flipped  (as in the trayon unit I think); ... or whether there is a practical lack of a double or queen bed; and a very small canvas awning area and outdoors ambiance; (like in the Innovan); ..or how much bulk there is above the cab line; and roll and sway; (like there is in a Millard)....
## Then as a footnote; I would also check how much movement there was in the legs - when the unit was off the ute tray...

(Before deciding on the Travelander; I originally came very close to buying a Millard slideon; because I was originally attracted to the idea of the ensuite and bed over the cab); and after that I was 'convinced' about buying an Innovan. ....   Even went out to their workshop at the back of Ipswich? (2008); to look at the build process and chat with the workers....

At the end of the day; every rig out there; (including my LCT AT-11); is a compromise of one thing or the other...  and as I originally said; for applications where you are driving daily and sleeping in a new location every 1 or 2 evenings; then I reckon some of the slideons would make an excellent choice....   

So imho; great for trips to the Cape, etc....  but check out the points above, if you are wanting it to do other things....

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 08:10:41 PM »

One of the best and thought out answers I have read on here. I enjoyed it very much and thank you as a slide on camper for our truck is something we have toyed with as an idea of building. I know a truck is different to a ute weight wise but some very good points to think of.

:-)
Trying to find the time to use our camper . . .

Offline Metters

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 09:23:36 PM »
Do they have to take the camper off the ute or can it stay there permanently?  A serious issue with a slideon is weight.  The vast majority of them can easily take a Hilux, Ranger or similar size ute over its weight limit at the rear end.  The result is in go the heavier springs or air bags then the chassis bends somewhere out in the bush.  The springs or air bags can not move some of the weight further forward.  They just lifted the rear end up a little and made the car look good.

If you don't have to leave it on then remove the tray and buy a camper that blots permanently to the chassis.  A single cab ute for example may have a carrying capacity of close to 1000 kgs  but the tray will weigh at least 130 kg and that has to come off the carrying capacity. If you leave it there then you might as well say your 500 kg empty slideon really weighs 630 kg before you add anything else to the car.   When you include a couple of people who might weigh a combined 150 (many are heavier than that these days)  and a full fuel tank of around 70 kg, you now have only 150 kg left before you are up to the maximum.  No wonder so many of them are overloaded.

If your friends really want a camper on one of the popular utes then tell them to start with a single cab with no tray and have a camper custom built to suit them.  It should be made with the weight distribution of the car in mind and should contain only the features that they consider essential and nothing else. 

Ideally the car should be a few hundred kilos under GVM if they intend taking it into rough conditions.  If they can't do that have a small trailer custom built to carry whatever else they need.  This should leave the car well under both its carrying and towing capacity.

Offline stephenh1235

• Tent User
  • Have gun will travel
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »
I can make a contribution here as after a long period searching in my state I have purchased a slide on, but had to purchase a second truck that was part of the deal. Comments from Basecamp & Austastar & others were considerations prior to my purchase, but without having a chance to try out this style of set-up,I had to bite the bullet & hope it is the answer to providing ability to tow our boat on the many camping expeditions we do in Exmouth & surrounds.
     I know for others the biggest consideration is weight, but I decided to overcome this a long time ago by using a truck (4WD), parking up the 105 series or the wife driving it in addition towing the boat, & truck towing Jayco Dove camper with all the usual excess weight items that I am sure others are conscious of but have to turn a blind eye to be able to go & get out there.
    Plan is for next six months to see if the slide on truck set-up suits us, & then sell one truck & Jayco (or sell slide on & truck) The particular slide on brand has many reviews - complaints of build quality/design, but so did the Jayco, though I find it OK. Will keep everyone posted with reviews/photos!
    Attached photos of first truck (now sold) & second & third set-ups.
Steve.

2004 Mitsubishi 4WD Canter
2003 HZJ105
2014 Palamino 1251ss slide on

Offline fergy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 11:39:35 PM »
Stephen I expect to see a build thread soon
1996 Suzuki Sierra    2008 jayco hawk now gone 1978 millard pop top
Iveco daily 4x4
WR450F

UIZ733

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 07:52:10 AM »
If you don't have to leave it on then remove the tray and buy a camper that blots permanently to the chassis.  A single cab ute for example may have a carrying capacity of close to 1000 kgs  but the tray will weigh at least 130 kg and that has to come off the carrying capacity. If you leave it there then you might as well say your 500 kg empty slideon really weighs 630 kg before you add anything else to the car.   When you include a couple of people who might weigh a combined 150 (many are heavier than that these days)  and a full fuel tank of around 70 kg, you now have only 150 kg left before you are up to the maximum.  No wonder so many of them are overloaded.
I did not think the tray weight would come into play as I assumed it would be part of the vehicle Tare. I accept it does by the way.
If a slide-on was considered to be the solution, can they normally be 'fixed' permanently straight to the chassis without a tray?
Or is the try part of the structural integrity of the unit?
Just thinking out loud.

UIZ733

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 07:54:17 AM »
I can make a contribution here as after a long period searching in my state I have purchased a slide on, but had to purchase a second truck that was part of the deal. Comments from Basecamp & Austastar & others were considerations prior to my purchase, but without having a chance to try out this style of set-up,I had to bite the bullet & hope it is the answer to providing ability to tow our boat on the many camping expeditions we do in Exmouth & surrounds.
     I know for others the biggest consideration is weight, but I decided to overcome this a long time ago by using a truck (4WD), parking up the 105 series or the wife driving it in addition towing the boat, & truck towing Jayco Dove camper with all the usual excess weight items that I am sure others are conscious of but have to turn a blind eye to be able to go & get out there.
    Plan is for next six months to see if the slide on truck set-up suits us, & then sell one truck & Jayco (or sell slide on & truck) The particular slide on brand has many reviews - complaints of build quality/design, but so did the Jayco, though I find it OK. Will keep everyone posted with reviews/photos!
    Attached photos of first truck (now sold) & second & third set-ups.
Steve.
Palomino looks like it was meant for that truck. Nice setup.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 06:21:33 PM »
Stephen I expect to see a build thread soon

I second that, we need a bit more info on the slide on, please

GG

Offline Ray

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2024, 05:30:17 PM »
Something like a slide on from these guys https://www.decamper.com.au would fit well on that too.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Slide-On Camper or Motorhome
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2024, 11:42:16 AM »
An old post, but as it’s come back round.
The biggest flaw with this style camper is weight

Even with big yank trucks designed to carry large loads, excessive overhang snaps chassis, this is very common all round the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 07:28:20 PM by lloydus67 »