Author Topic: Bathurst 2014  (Read 83089 times)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
Re: Bathurst 2014
« Reply #350 on: October 13, 2014, 07:09:12 PM »
 ;D
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline slcs78

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #351 on: October 13, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
 :cheers: that's a good one

Despite being a Holden supporter i didn't mind who won as long as it wasn't an FPR or 888 car. Cant stand Roland Dane or Tim Edwards. They take whinging to a whole new level
2012 colorado LTZ
MDC V4 TBox camper

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #352 on: October 13, 2014, 07:24:27 PM »
Im a holden fan , but quite happy with the result's go the aussie's

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #353 on: October 13, 2014, 08:00:43 PM »
My first time on the mountain, and it was unreal, I have followed the V8 from early days to what it is now, and love it....I know it doesn't resemble what most of us grew up watching, but I still think its awesome.

To be there and see these guys going at it, even during practice was just so bloody exciting, the tele doesn't do them justice, they are dead set screaming at every point on the track...a real eye opener.

We camped for 4 days in the Paddock area as its called, and it was decent, small sites and while modern amenities, we still had to line up for a shower at times, could defo do with more.

The cost was $170 bucks for the 4 days, and kids under 12 were free, access to all areas minus the pits and corporate areas of course. The 4 days were non stop action, with the action kicking of at 730-800am each day with a break for lunch, and then recommencing with more racing of all class' including the big guns each day.

TBH, I thought it was great value for money, based on other events of taking the kids to and payed a lot more for a lot less, the camp sites could be bigger, but in the end we only camped there and then up and off we went.....Great weekend, if you haven't been and are keen on the V8's get along, you wont be sorry.

If we have enough enthusiasts, and could get enough numbers and early enough prior to book etc.....maybe we could throw a MYSWAG weekend together up there....its defo a must do for the motorsport followers.....

Swanny

PS, was going for Whincup, but great to see a young fella get up and win, just happy it wasn't Whingebottom..... ;D ;D ;D

I've been thinking about taking my boys there camping, but have been nervous about amenities, and behaviour of the ferals up there. Last time I went it was pretty feral.
I would be extremely keen for next year, knowing some more about where you stayed and the other logistics of it all. With other like minded swaggers, I reckon it would be a hoot. My boys are 4 and 6 currently, but love anything to do with race cars!
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline raider

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #354 on: October 13, 2014, 08:06:58 PM »
After just reading the other thread and commenting I get it now  :-*, DOD......
Yeah , we would probably end up at Phillip Island and the bikes if he had his way.
Don't live a life of going-to-do's and die with nothing done

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #355 on: October 13, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »
I've been thinking about taking my boys there camping, but have been nervous about amenities, and behaviour of the ferals up there. Last time I went it was pretty feral.
I would be extremely keen for next year, knowing some more about where you stayed and the other logistics of it all. With other like minded swaggers, I reckon it would be a hoot. My boys are 4 and 6 currently, but love anything to do with race cars!

It's not as feral as it was years ago, still not real family but not totally feral. This is of course up the top, down the bottom is completely different and a great family day out for the most part
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #356 on: October 13, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »
Came across this over on Betty's page

All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #357 on: October 14, 2014, 04:01:03 AM »
Came across this over on Betty's page

Hahaha, that's gold.  :cup: :cup:

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #358 on: October 14, 2014, 05:31:32 AM »
Geez, as if Bogan Betty can talk.....  ???
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #359 on: October 14, 2014, 07:33:28 AM »
Quote from: oldmate
It's not as feral as it was years ago, still not real family but not totally fera

yea, you'll see quite a few of these up there
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #360 on: October 14, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »
Mik01
I have been going up there for years, missed this year because I have just had shoulder surgery, so here are a few of my observations
We stay in Max Cameron campground, just behind Hell corner
Sites are bigger at Max Cameron, ammenities are better in the Paddock
We have two sites together and on them there are usually five cars, three camper trailers, two gazebos and around three tents and we still have room for a fire
There are heaps and heaps of families go up there
Take a TV to watch proceedings while in your camp
95% of the people are fantasic and up there for the same reason you are
You can catch a bus up to the top of the mountain to have a look around
The coppers keep a close eye on behaviour , if you mess up they kick you out, and are only a phone call away, they have a 24hour station at the track and backup in town. And they come in force usually six at a time. A few years ago when it was wet there was a bogan (bird talk) in a Nissan Patrol that decided to turn the muddy tracks around camp into a race track, slid into the back of a Jayco, one phone call to the cops and 15 of them turned up. The gentleman was dragged out told that the tracks are public roads, RBT and off to jail.
Seen one fight in the last ten years and that was two fathers fighting because their kids had a falling out
Amenities (showers) are much better now, but you will still need to wait a few minutes if you go at peak times, 7:00 am, we usually go at 6:00 and no waiting, they are hot and cleaned regularly.
 They have a fenced off block for women and kids only.
You can hire porta loos for your site, expensive tho
Kids are always riding bikes, playing footy, playing with remote control cars etc.
It is NOISY at night so sleep can be a bit of a problem, chinese generators and music, I use ear plugs and never have a problem sleeping
There is heaps to do and see in town, be up there for the transport parade and free BBQ in town on the Wednesday
There is usually milk and bread available at the track if needed, ice and firewood are bought off the back of a truck that drives around camp all the time.
Dont drive if you have had anything to drink as you WILL get busted, they have RBT, s set up leaving the track

One downside of Max Cameron is the bloody helicopters, five of them leaving every 15 minutes from 8:00 in the morning to 5:00 at nite

GO you will not regret it, it is nothing like it was years ago and it is nothing like watching it on TV

I cant wait for my grandson to get a bit older so I can take him up, he is two now but I reckon I will have him up there the year after next

Let me know if you want any more info or pictures

macca

PS there are heaps of swaggers go up there they are just spread out all over the place

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #361 on: October 14, 2014, 11:43:42 AM »
Geez, as if Bogan Betty can talk.....  ???

lmao, It was posted on her page, pretty sure she didn't draw it  ;D

As far as it being a family event, I wouldn't have a problem with taking a family there but I wouldn't camp at Reid and Sulman  only because of the lack of repsect the guys seem to have for the public toilets up there.

Since the riot squad moved in many years ago it became a very different place, carnt comment on McPhillamy park as I never camped there. I was happy being one of the feral bogans up  at Sulman  for 12yrs even then we still had our own builders toilet delivered on site, To scared to use the public toilet incase you got blown up.
personally I would have rather be watching the race back then with the bogans than kicking it with the 2bob snobs in corporate and I've done both. These days I think I would be more happier with the 2bob snobs  ;D  gettin old
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #362 on: October 16, 2014, 10:47:07 AM »
Seems the Dan Murphy's in Bathurst knew something Red Bull Racing didn't...

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #363 on: October 16, 2014, 12:06:07 PM »
Mik01
I have been going up there for years, missed this year because I have just had shoulder surgery, so here are a few of my observations
We stay in Max Cameron campground, just behind Hell corner
Sites are bigger at Max Cameron, ammenities are better in the Paddock
We have two sites together and on them there are usually five cars, three camper trailers, two gazebos and around three tents and we still have room for a fire
There are heaps and heaps of families go up there
Take a TV to watch proceedings while in your camp
95% of the people are fantasic and up there for the same reason you are
You can catch a bus up to the top of the mountain to have a look around
The coppers keep a close eye on behaviour , if you mess up they kick you out, and are only a phone call away, they have a 24hour station at the track and backup in town. And they come in force usually six at a time. A few years ago when it was wet there was a bogan (bird talk) in a Nissan Patrol that decided to turn the muddy tracks around camp into a race track, slid into the back of a Jayco, one phone call to the cops and 15 of them turned up. The gentleman was dragged out told that the tracks are public roads, RBT and off to jail.
Seen one fight in the last ten years and that was two fathers fighting because their kids had a falling out
Amenities (showers) are much better now, but you will still need to wait a few minutes if you go at peak times, 7:00 am, we usually go at 6:00 and no waiting, they are hot and cleaned regularly.
 They have a fenced off block for women and kids only.
You can hire porta loos for your site, expensive tho
Kids are always riding bikes, playing footy, playing with remote control cars etc.
It is NOISY at night so sleep can be a bit of a problem, chinese generators and music, I use ear plugs and never have a problem sleeping
There is heaps to do and see in town, be up there for the transport parade and free BBQ in town on the Wednesday
There is usually milk and bread available at the track if needed, ice and firewood are bought off the back of a truck that drives around camp all the time.
Dont drive if you have had anything to drink as you WILL get busted, they have RBT, s set up leaving the track

One downside of Max Cameron is the bloody helicopters, five of them leaving every 15 minutes from 8:00 in the morning to 5:00 at nite

GO you will not regret it, it is nothing like it was years ago and it is nothing like watching it on TV

I cant wait for my grandson to get a bit older so I can take him up, he is two now but I reckon I will have him up there the year after next

Let me know if you want any more info or pictures

macca

PS there are heaps of swaggers go up there they are just spread out all over the place

thanks mate - that's top info right there.

don't think I would take the mrs - just the boys (currently 4 and 6).  but if she did come, she would prob insist on bringing our own camp toilet.

what days would you recommend getting there and leaving, so as to avoid a billion people and long delays getting in and out of there?

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #364 on: October 16, 2014, 12:49:05 PM »
I usually leave Melbourne on the Tuesday before and camp overnite at the Lake Carcoar, Max Cameron doesn't open till Wednesday morning. Then I have a walk around the transporters in town, do some shopping and go and set up camp,  most of my mates come up Thursday morning, leave Melbourne at midnight. People do take camp toilets but as said earlier the women's showers and toilet are separate from the men's, taking your own would save a lot of walking. They would be long days for the young ones but we spend a lot of time around camp relaxing
 Do some research on what's on in town, they have plenty of things on and do have some kids activities at the track.
Thursday is busy but they get you thru the gate a lot quicker now,  vehicle searches aren't as long and we leave early Monday morning 6; 30 by 9 you hear them on the UHF fighting their way thru the jam, so go early or wait till the afternoon.
Got to hand it to Bathurst council they do a great job catering for the crowd's

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #365 on: October 16, 2014, 01:47:19 PM »
I usually leave Melbourne on the Tuesday before and camp overnite at the Lake Carcoar, Max Cameron doesn't open till Wednesday morning. Then I have a walk around the transporters in town, do some shopping and go and set up camp,  most of my mates come up Thursday morning, leave Melbourne at midnight. People do take camp toilets but as said earlier the women's showers and toilet are separate from the men's, taking your own would save a lot of walking. They would be long days for the young ones but we spend a lot of time around camp relaxing
 Do some research on what's on in town, they have plenty of things on and do have some kids activities at the track.
Thursday is busy but they get you thru the gate a lot quicker now,  vehicle searches aren't as long and we leave early Monday morning 6; 30 by 9 you hear them on the UHF fighting their way thru the jam, so go early or wait till the afternoon.
Got to hand it to Bathurst council they do a great job catering for the crowd's

just read the supercars site about t's and c's of entry - sounds pretty heavy. no glass whatsoever for food even.

so they search your vehicle and camper? do they go through your fridge/esky and other personal belongings? must take some time?

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #366 on: October 16, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »
Few years ago they went thru everything, that was when the police did the searches but now it is security that do it and in the last few years they just look in the car, open the boot and sometimes open the camper, but not often
Make sure you only have one slab per person and if you have glass like salt and pepper etc. put in well down in the camper out of site. I always take a bottle of wine, just put it under everything. They are mainly after car loads of young blokes
If you need more booze set up camp and run back into town for another. If you take spirits put it in a plastic bottle
In the last five years it would have taken no more than 20 minutes to get thru the gate, including paperwork