Author Topic: sliver tarp over camper  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Slipus

• Tent User
  • Slip
sliver tarp over camper
« on: February 09, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »
Hey All,

Going for a 10 day holiday  soon and was just thinking about a silver trap over the whole set up camper.  Just after some feedback.... Do many folk use a tarp, how much over hang do you have,  how many poles do you use, and do you use anything to create an air space between canvas roof and tarp, some one suggested a pool noodle.

cheers

Pete

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
Re: sliver tarp over camper
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:11:40 PM »
gday mate.
a good silver tarp over your camper will keep alot of the daytime heat from your camper. we didnt go anywhere without it when we had our soft floor.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 06:20:28 PM »
We used a silver one over xmas time for ten days.  Our camper canvas is 18' x 16' so we bought an 18' x 24' tarp, 12 poles and a ridge pole.    Ridge pole held the tarp up off the camper tent by 100mm or so up at the top ridge and we used the poles to hold it up a bit higher lower down.  Had a couple of stormy days / nights and it handled it well.  Tarp we bought was one of the more expensive ones at around $120, I think the ridge pole was $60 and each other pole was $9.  Was money well spent.  Kept us cooler and gave another verandah along one side of the CT.  Best of all, no tree sap, bird poo, etc on the CT!

:cheers:
Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »
We also use a silver tarp over the camper, we bought a tarp and put it over the camper and marked where all the pole holes were and trimmed the excess off two sides, had the local camping shop /tarp sewing shop hem it and fit the brass eyes for the poles. It works well in reducing the temp and heavy rain is not a problem   :cup:
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:45:47 PM »
We bought our silver tarp for about $35.  Our camper opens sideways, so we use octopus straps to hold one end of the tarp to the side of the camper, the other hangs over the other end that is held up by the normal poles. I then have ropes going from the tarp to pegs in the ground.  Half way along the tarp and depending on how long we are camped for, I will just have ropes to ground pegs or put poles up to give air space between the tarp and canvas, roped to ground pegs.   The tarp overhangs all way round by about 25cm’s.  Our tarp only covers the camper, not any awnings.  Even just having the tarp lying on the canvas makes a big difference, but having some space is even better.
P.S. The ropes I use on the tarp have steel hooks, that I made, on one one end so I can just attach to the tarp without tying a knot. The other end is the normal spring type guy rope to attach to the peg.

Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline grc

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »
i also use a silver tarp good for keeping your ct dry if it rains no packing up a wet ct geting home and puting it up again

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 06:12:28 AM »
I take the big silver tarp everywhere as its not hard to carry but very very handy to have .
Worked very well at Willmington in the monsoonal rain  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust