Author Topic: Info about Transfer Cases.  (Read 5541 times)

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
Info about Transfer Cases.
« on: November 02, 2018, 05:14:42 PM »
I'm looking for information on Transfer Cases for a project I wish to undertake.

What I need is a Case that has :- 2WD - 4WD high range (AWD - centre diff) open centre - 4WD locked centre - 4WD low range if it had it but not necessary.

Now I believe that Mitsubishi Triton has this setup. This doesn't have to be late model and could be from a few years back which would give us a chance at picking it up at a wrecker.

Dan.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Info about Transfer Cases.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »
Pajero as well, anything with Super Select on the side. From memory they started with it in the mid 90's, so there should be a few out there.

I think some Jeep Cherokee's ran a similar setup, but they were thin on the ground.

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 02:16:58 PM »
Every Pajero from about '91, except Nh and Nj 2.6L petrol and 2.8L non turbo diesel, every Challenger, some ML Tritons, maybe some later Tritons as well.
Also Pajero iO as well, I think, but front tail shaft is on RHS.

Pajeros had viscous coupled centre diff when in 4wd, plus option of locking centre diff.

Love to know you project.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:19:14 PM by Brij »
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »
A transfer case from a XJ Jeep Cherokee..... Must be a SELECT TRAC not the Quadradrive or Power Trac.. Two models to look for, the New Process 229 which has a planetary drive system or the New Process 242 which has a center differential.  Both cases give you 2WD-Part time 4WD high range- Full time 4WD high range- Full time 4WD low range... Both have an internal oil pump and are very robust. They are mounted to AW4 Asian auto transmissions so the bolt pattern is fairly common and will accommodate various input shafts.

The 242 model is similar in principle to the LT230 transfer case from a series 2 Land Rover Discovery, but in this case, there is no option for selecting just 2WD as the case is permanent part time 4WD with a center diff lock to give full time 4WD..
Also the Land Rover cases came with and without the center diff lock.. So the diff lock transfer case serial number must start with, 41D or 42D or 68D..

For my money, I would go for the Jeep transfer case cause unless you are going to do silly things with it, you wont break it... And there are heaps around.. Look for 1998 Cherokees..
Puff

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
Thanks for the info so far it gives me a start at what to look for.

Pajeros had viscous coupled centre diff when in 4wd, plus option of locking centre diff.

Love to know you project.

We will see if we can collect enough parts to be able to go forward on the project before we get carried away with letting everyone know.
Not interested in viscous coupling as I'm looking for positive drive.

Dan.

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »
Then the New Process 229 or the transfer case from a H1 Hummer.. Similar but a little bit more heavy and will bolt onto a EL80 auto transmission..
Puff

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 07:47:56 PM »
The new Process 229 design is produced in various sizes right up to the one fitted into 6WD Mack trucks, ( Australian Army).. But in the case of the Macks, there is no option for selecting a 2WD mode although that may be able to be changed..
Puff

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 08:54:43 AM »
Thanks for the info so far it gives me a start at what to look for.

We will see if we can collect enough parts to be able to go forward on the project before we get carried away with letting everyone know.
Not interested in viscous coupling as I'm looking for positive drive.

Dan.

Only viscous coupled when "unlocked". Centre diff is properly  "locked" when .....locked.

Challenger and pre 2000 model Pajero's have old fashioned mechanically shifters, 2000 (NM) onwards are electric over mechanical.

A few here https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_ssn=eagleautoparts_australia&LH_PrefLoc=2&_from=R40&_trksid=p2499338.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xtransfer+case.TRS0&_nkw=transfer+case&_sacat=0
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 08:22:06 PM »
A transfer case from a XJ Jeep Cherokee..... Must be a SELECT TRAC not the Quadradrive or Power Trac.. Two models to look for, the New Process 229 which has a planetary drive system or the New Process 242 which has a center differential.  Both cases give you 2WD-Part time 4WD high range- Full time 4WD high range- Full time 4WD low range... Both have an internal oil pump and are very robust. They are mounted to AW4 Asian auto transmissions so the bolt pattern is fairly common and will accommodate various input shafts.

The 242 model is similar in principle to the LT230 transfer case from a series 2 Land Rover Discovery, but in this case, there is no option for selecting just 2WD as the case is permanent part time 4WD with a center diff lock to give full time 4WD..
Also the Land Rover cases came with and without the center diff lock.. So the diff lock transfer case serial number must start with, 41D or 42D or 68D..

For my money, I would go for the Jeep transfer case cause unless you are going to do silly things with it, you wont break it... And there are heaps around.. Look for 1998 Cherokees..
All lt230 cases are like this, from memory it is only 2000model disco2 that don't have the cdl at all, the others had it, but was not connected.
All other lt230 from 84 rangie to current (last of the defenders) have centre diff lock.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 10:25:37 PM »
All lt230 cases are like this, from memory it is only 2000model disco2 that don't have the cdl at all, the others had it, but was not connected.
All other lt230 from 84 rangie to current (last of the defenders) have centre diff lock.

That's partially correct Vern.. When Land Rover released the series 2 in 1998, they also brought out their traction control and hill decent system.. They considered that the traction control was so good (and it was), that the vehicle did not need the center diff lock so they removed the diff lock control mechanism in late 1999, (but probably a cost cutting measure??).. But because the LT 230 cases already in stock had the diff lock internals, they were fitted to production vehicles. Some time in 2000/2001 the standard transfer case did not have the diff lock internals (cost cutting??), but an option offered at time of the customers order (at least with the S model) was diff lock, (another option was cruise control).. All manual gearbox vehicles, either V8 or diesel had diff locks (hence all Defenders). This carried over through 2001 to the update model in 2003 when the diff lock and cruise control was offered as standard equipment again..

Incidentally, you needed the diff lock and shift mechanism to be able to cancel the traction control, (eg soft sand ect)...

LT 230 transfer cases that have the internals fitted had a serial number starting with 41D and 42D. Transfer cases without the internals had a serial number starting with 61D, 62D, 69D and 70D.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:40:34 PM by Brisbane Puff »
Puff

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 09:02:25 PM »
I kind of thought thats what i said, may have my years wrong, not really into d2's is why.

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 02:14:23 AM »
Vern... Didn't mean to offend you. (if I have). I was just trying to explain and put into chronological order that there are/were transfer cases with and with out the diff lock internals for Aussie Iron's information. Thing is that mostly the later 00's - 01's and 02's did not come with the internals unless the options were ordered. However, to make it more confusing, it seem's that HSE models retained the diff lock.. So, having said that, it is best to refer to the serial number on the transfer case as per my previous post to be sure.
And no, I'm not a Disco buff.. Had one a few years back and have recently gone through the same thing for a friend..
Puff

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »
Not offended at all. I was trying to say ALL lt230 cases are basically the same, except the d2 cases around 2000, which had no cdl connected or no cdl at all. Plus d2 cases and i think some very late d1 cases had Q gears, anything with Q gears is rubbish in my opinion, seen far to many strip. But otherwise a very good box, up there with atlas. Plus you can now get (as i have) an ATB centre diff, which is fantastic for fast gravel roads etc...

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »
All good info. A lot of knowledgeable people out there.

Now after some more research it looks like a New Process 242HD will be what I'm looking for. It will have to be very reliable and be able to handle quite a bit of torque load.

Now to get a look at one to see if it can be modified to suit what I want.

Dan

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 08:15:26 PM »
Aussie Iron.. Is this what you are looking for??
Puff

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 06:00:19 PM »
Yep seen them. What I want to do looks like it may be possible. The drive shaft that goes to the front diff is going the wrong direction it needs to face to the rear as well so some engineering is going to have to be done. Not the end of the world as the impossible can be done. You never know we may end up with something that looks like this. Room for a quad and other gear on the tail end.

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:51:18 PM by Aussie Iron »

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 01:43:15 AM »
Not sure what you have in mind Dan, but you could a mounting adapter as in the first drawing. And build a reverse drive gear and case set similar to this very rough second sketch.. The rotation would then be in the correct direction as well.. I guess one needs to ask as to what HP AND TORQUE you thinking of using??

Also, in that photo of the Canter, it seems like it has a lazy rear axle.. Don't see a prop shaft to the rear diff??
Puff

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 02:34:05 AM »
Sounds like a V drive from a boat might be more applicable.
Unless your trying to drive two diffs with separate tailshafts.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 07:35:45 AM »
What is it you are actually trying to achieve, i am intrigued to know.

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 06:00:23 PM »
The pic of the Canter is actually a photo shop job on my Canter. Yes it would have a second diff and be driven by two tailshafts.
The extra transfer case will be used as a way of getting two shafts facing the rear and be mounted rear of my original transfer case. With that case I then have 2WD. 4WD with power divider and lock drive to both diffs.
Standard rear diffs are limited slip and work very well, front diff is a Torsen style.

We are looking at feeding in about 220HP, not a lot but it will be loaded at times and will be used off road.

Dan.

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 07:35:21 PM »
AHHH, YES.. Now that I look at the photo, one can see the part/join line on the combing rail between the two rear wheels.. ( and the wheel nuts are in the same position)..

To be honest, you already have a strong transfer case that gives you 2wd/4wd.. So why not look at just building a power divider to attach to the rear of your existing transfer case.. reason being that you already have a live axle on the rear, so why not two. Something like my very basic sketch.
Also in a lot of cases, a lazy causes drag, (and therefore more fuel)..

The big problem as I see it is to get the rear (3rd) axle prop shaft past the 2nd axle... So, why not consider what Mack did with their Renault diffs and turn them 90 degrees so as the pinions face upwards?? This way you only need to run one prop shaft to the back and manufacture the necessary 90 degree inputs to the diffs plus a double universal shaft (jack shaft)with a slip yoke between the diffs..(a shaft like that could be easily picked up at a 4wd wreckers).. And if you wanted to get fancy, you could incorporate a remote controlled( air / electric\hydraulic/cable) splitter/disconnect in that shaft to isolate the rear axle..
Puff

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 09:14:35 PM »
Lt95 transcases in the 6x6 perenties run the 2nd diff off the input gear on the transcase, would this work?

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 06:52:19 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Perentie 6x6 transfer case the rear drives are allways locked together so no centre diff that would serve as a power divider. This is something that I would want to help keep tyre wear as low as possible by stopping wind up of the rear diffs.

The research continues,
Dan.

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Perentie 6x6 transfer case the rear drives are allways locked together so no centre diff that would serve as a power divider. This is something that I would want to help keep tyre wear as low as possible by stopping wind up of the rear diffs.

The research continues,
Dan.
If you look at the pic, the top output has a vacuum diaphragm which locks and unlocks like a difflock. Otherwise it is windmilling with the wheels turning the diff and driveshaft, people also fit free wheeling hubs to stop the diff/tailshaft spinning.
The bottom right gear in that pick is the main centre diff.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:48:04 PM by vern »